United 1 Forest 2 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Probably do a ‘double pod’ after the second leg for those who erm…enjoy the Tufty Club.

---

It’s advantage Forest after the first leg of the playoff tie at the Lane as they deservedly won the first leg tie at a baking hot Bramall Lane. The home side simply never turned up and a powerful and dangerous Forest side cut through United time after time and really should have been out of sight in terms of the two-legged contest. Goals in the end came from Colback and Johnson before they were made to pay for numerous misses when Berge bundled home in stoppage time to keep things very much alive.

The Blades will have been disappointed with their overall performance as they created little of note all game from an attacking sense despite having more of the ball. In midfield, the Blades got overrun at times and struggled to stop Forest when they sent the ball before as the United defence struggled to hold back quick and mobile forwards who were turning them round at every opportunity.

Heckingbottom named an unchanged side and still could not include leading scorer Sharp. Forest had the dangerous Davis back on the bench, himself being out with an injury for a period of time. United started quite well and forced Forest back winning an early corner. Ndiaye was looking to get on the ball when he could and Fleck also won an early tackle that saw Gibbs White have a chance but his shot was blocked.

However, Forest looked very dangerous from their first attack as Johnson got down the side and away from Stevens before Basham had to make a vital interception. Surridge then nearly got in as the ball down the side and over the top was seeing United stretched. This was the case on the opening goal as Surridge again got down the side and Stevens failed to stop the cross. Forest incredibly had two men to one in the box and as Osborn slipped, Zinckernagel’s shot was saved by Foderingham but COLBACK gobble up the rebound and scored easily. It was a really poor goal to concede as United were cut wide open.

United did try and respond and Egan headed goal wards with Samba nowhere but Surridge did well at the other end to head off the line. Surridge was constantly involved in the action and he had an effort saved by Foderingham. Fleck was booked for a dangerous tackle when he stupidly left his feet before Worrall was also cautioned. United were struggling to make much headway and Forest were continuing to ask questions despite having less of the ball. Another ball down the side saw Zinckernagel almost get in again before a corner saw Yates head a free header wide when he should have taken advantage of awful marking.

Forest continued to look the better side and Johnson pulled a shot wide after finding space before a tremendous double save after more errors in the build-up, kept United it. Surridge hit the first effort which Foderingham saved and then the keeper foiled Johnson on the follow up. Zinckernagel was booked for bringing down Ndiaye out wide before Spence and Robinson were booked after grappling after the ball had gone.

In truth United were glad of half time as Forest nearly got in again just before the break after more threatening play down the Blades left hand side that had been completely exposed in a torrid half for Stevens.

After the break, the Blades came out and looked more determined. They forced Forest back and had a lot of the ball. They were moving it side to side but struggling to breach the packed defence although Gibbs White fed Berge who fired over after a rare moment of penetration forward rather than sideways. United won a corner before Gibbs White then soon after curled an effort that saw Samba make his first (and only) save of the game. Heckingbottom took off the disappointing Norwood for Baldock and Osborn moved further forward as United tried to find something but were not really creating much despite having more of the ball and Forest retreating.

However, disaster struck for the Blades on 71 minutes when Forest scored a second goal. Egan took way too long and had his pocket picked by the sub Lolley, who also had just entered the fray. The substitute cut inside and his shot was blocked by Fleck, but like with the first goal, the visiting players reacted quicker and it was JOHNSON who curled his effort into the corner to send the fans in the upper tier into delirium.

Jebbison came on for Osborn and Davis for Surridge as the game entered the final 10 minutes. Forest now were scenting blood and Johnson had a shot blocked before Spence shot wide. Another break saw Egan have to deny a good chance after good work from Davis. The sub had another chance blocked as the Blades incredibly were fighting to stay at 0-2. After being under the cosh, a long ball forward saw the home side win a corner and incredibly they got a goal. Gibbs White took it and as Samba did not get near it, the ball flicked off Robinson and then BERGE and into the unguarded net. The Blades had a free kick and a long throw after this as they sought an unlikely leveller but the final whistle came and oddly the United fans might have been the happier after getting a real going over but still staying in the tie.

United – Sadly the curse of the playoffs seems to have struck again but normally we tend to get to the final when we get there, so a total non performance in a semi-final, is a new way of messing up at least! After the euphoria of last week, it was back to the performances where we looked slow, limp and lacking in creativity – which we had seen for most of the close to the season till QPR (2nd half) and Fulham. I was really disappointed with us. Individually and collectively we just did not turn up. Only Foderingham and Berge 2nd half can take any credit really from that showing. I think the players tried hard but sadly they also did not show enough courage in attacking and it meant Forest snuffed us out easily. The quality in the Forest half in terms of crossing, passing and running with the ball was dire. We did not barely get into their box all game in terms of proper danger and one Egan header off the line, a Berge shot over, an MGW one at the keeper and the scrappy goal was the sum of our efforts. Conversely at the other end, they had at least 9 or 10 clear chances. We had so much of the ball but it was slow, ponderous and predictable moving to the side and then a poor ball or cross or we would recycle it across and then lose it as they just picked us off. They looked much quicker to the ball and as the game went on, after they scored which saw them having so many men in the box (we never did that in open play), they got the confidence knowing that our defence was slow and static. They kept knocking the ball over the top and running onto it and then getting bodies to join them. Foderingham made several saves and they missed a few sitters. I was very pleased to go in just one down.

We did have a go second half but nothing clear cut and Fleck and Norwood tired badly and Garner and Yates, younger and fitter players, just started to get on the ball more and gradually we sort of petered out in terms of any attacking threat. Berge did his best but the other two forwards we saw nothing of in terms of real threat and Forest’s big lads had an easy game as the crossing continued to be awful. The second goal summed up their hunger and desire as they won it and got on the rebound again. I worried it could go to 3 or 4 after this and it should have done. The late goal came out of nowhere and gives us a boost. On one hand we are only 1-2 down and maybe we cannot play as badly and it will be a different type of game at Forest, but they also know they can get through us easily and will feel they can and will score goals against us. They also know if they score the first goal, it is pretty much down. For me, weirdly we have to keep it tight and play on the break. I would be happy if it was 0-0 even at the hour mark. We then can have a go but I fear they have too much pace, power and youth. We looked an old team today that was struggling with their mobility and athleticism. We had the ball btu they were happy for us to have it and then just broke on us. I was really surprised Heckingbottom did not change it in terms of formation or our tactics. We simply kept doing what was not working all season.

I did fear Forest as the best team of the sides in the playoffs and the table shows that and today, they were much better than us. Yes, we made errors on the goals but they could have had many more and we got away with a 1-2. I thought Forest might be down after missing out on automatic and us getting in on good form but it was the opposite. They came and played really well and we did not but as I say this has happened both teams, they have played us down at the Lane so sometimes you just have to admit they are a better side. However, we did not get outplayed at the City Ground and maybe United are due to a decent performance against them and Hecky can tweak some things to allow us to create more and not be got through so easily. I feel like Forest will probably go through now and can see it being a comfortable night in the end but that late goal at least gives us a chance. I am still glad we got in the playoffs and weirdly am not as down as I have been for other playoff defeats at this stage. We did not play well but I also think we played a better side and did not deserve anything so not angry with the situation. I just hope whatever happens we give a better account of ourselves and do not go out with another meek, timid performance. That would be a really poor way to go into the summer.

Ratings:

Foderingham 8/10 – Made numerous saves in the first half including a great double one where he got up and reacted to the follow up. A few more standard ones but he still had to save them and simply had too much to do. He had no chance on the goals and was just left badly exposed all game. Only slight knock was his distribution which was the only thing Samba was better at it. Our best player which sums up how poor we were.

Osborn 4/10 – Struggled all game as they played the ball down the side or down the channels more specifically and he and Basham were not quick or mobile enough. It was even worse down the other side. He had dithered a few times on the ball before he slipped over on the goal but even before the slip, he had not picked up the runner. He created nothing going forward and constantly kept slowing it down by taking too many touches or coming back onto his left foot. Went into midfield but barely noticed him before he came off. I have no issues with him coming back for a year but he is not a starting quality top end Championship player. A useful lad for cover in a few positions but lacks quality to make up for his size.

Stevens 3/10 – Started really badly and sort of went on from there and other than a 15-minute spell second half when he settled down and offered us a bit going forward, he had a very difficult afternoon. They clearly targeted his lack of pace and indeed mobility as Spence gave him a torrid time. The first goal he was slow to react to Surridge and failed to stop the cross and this became a feature of our play as they continually went down his side and got past him time after time. Very little in an attacking sense and they then found mor joy towards the end as they played the same ball behind him and he failed to react a few times. Looked a very old (know he is not that old) and tired player today. He had done ok in some recent games but on today’s showing, you do wonder how long he has left at this level?

Basham 4.5/10 – Another who did not have a great afternoon at all and they exploited our lack of pace in the backline with the ball over the top. They got in down either side on a number of occasions and we failed to stop this break. He did not impose himself defensively at all and often looked at full stretch. Going forward he started off in some good areas but wasted at least three crossing opportunities. Second half he did get into more excellent positions but then lost confidence to drive or cross and kept coming back allowing them to get bodies back.

Robinson 6/10 – He was the best of a bad bunch at the back. He at least made a few blocks and tackles and of course was involved in our goal but he also struggled like the rest with the knocked ball over the top and they got into areas where they were facing us up and we were running towards our own goal.

Egan 4.5/10 – Actually made a few vital blocks but overall, the defence was a disorganised mess and he is the heart of that backline. On the first he jogs back and they have men over and this happened often where they had 2 on 2 or even 3 on 2. It was not just when we had a go second half either, but all game. The second goal is all on him as he dithers and loses the ball. Maybe he was frustrated at the lack of options or midfield that made him try and take another touch but it was a terrible error and effectively may have cost us the tie despite the late goal. He has struggled both games at the Lane against Forest.

Norwood 4/10 – Like Egan, he has had a bit of a mare in both games against Forest. They pressed him a bit but he did have a fair bit of time on the ball too today and he was totally wasteful, either sending aimless balls our of play or passing straight to then. Nothing really came off and defensively he was struggling to keep up with the younger and more athletic Forest pair who had less of the ball but were far more effective.

Fleck 4.5/10 – Not much better than Norwood but he did begin ok winning some tackles and getting his foot in a few times. He seemed up for it but maybe too much as a daft tackle saw him rightly booked as you cannot go in like that these days. After this he had to be careful and lost some of his aggression. They then started to win more stuff and in turn pushed it forward quicker. We in comparison were plodding and dithering to move it and they just got men back. Too often chasing back slowly as the Forest players were just quicker and maybe even fitter. We had no legs at all in midfield today.

Berge 7/10 – Our best outfield player. First half maybe could have had a penalty but he did go down easily and would have been soft. After this he flitted in and out of the game but 2nd half, he was by far our best player and was strong, direct and dangerous as he got into good areas. Put a few good balls in too but no one got on the end of it. He also scored our goal although not sure he knew much about it and was like one of those headers you see a child head with their eyes shut! Only player who really turned up for me and that was only a decent performance rather than anything scintillating.

Gibbs White 6/10 – He worked hard and tried to make things happen but nothing came off and he tried to do too much himself actually. Frustrating afternoon and other than one curled shot saved, he had a few runs blocked off or ran into blind alleys. Did take a good corner for the goal. Needs to be far better for us to have a chance Tuesday. He looked gutted at the end as he knew it would be his last game in a Blades shirt at the Lane.

Ndiaye 5/10 – As above really. He tried to get on it and I thought really put a lot into the game in terms of effort but do not recall him creating anything at all or having any efforts at goal. He chased back and tried to help recover possession but in an attacking sense he just got crowded out by bodies. Without a natural centre forward, it is hard as we are having to probe or run through from deep

Subs –

Baldock – Came on and just fouled people or made stupid decisions with the ball. He will probably start Tuesday as we need some more pace at the back as we looked painfully slow today against quick players running through. He makes some bewildering decisions at times and like with Stevens, is a shadow of his former self from 2 or 3 years ago.

Jebbison – He ran around but barely touched it and the difference with the striker they brought on in terms of power and influence is night and day.

Norrington Davis – I would have introduced him at half time as Stevens was struggling and not sure what the point of him was that late? Hecky does make these odd subs with little time left.

Manager: Heckingbottom 3/10 – Cooper seems to have his number in terms of tactically knowing how to set up against us. Let us have the ball (maybe press Norwood if he comes into their half) and send us wide and wait for the cross or attack to fizzle out. Attacking wise, the direct route of the ball down the sides and over the top will catch us out and leave us struggling. They did it in the league and same again today. He did not change the tactics or formation and thus we created nothing and they created a number of chances. He had very limited options on the bench to defend him but it was not working so had to try something different – even if it was a brave first half change of formation/tactics. We looked like the side we had for the last few months until those last two games – slow and predictable and creating little at all.

Forest – They remain the best side I have seen at the Lane and in two games have battered us and really should have won both games comfortably. The only knock is their dreadful finishing and then poor defending at the death. They played less football and had a lot less of the ball than the league game where they looked a good football side and were quite direct today but it worked. They knocked balls over the top and just got runners in and behind. We had no idea how to stop this. The defence tried to go deeper but they still created so many chances for an away side. They should have been 3 up at least at half time. Second half they sat back more and we had a spell but did little really in terms of sustained box pressure or chances. They then got the 2nd (more on the break this one) and after this it should have been even more really. They just picked us off and then broke quickly at pace all game knowing they had more speed and mobility.

Weird one for them as they win the game 2-1 in an away game which before the game, they would have been delighted with but then after they may be disappointed. They will know our weaknesses now and even at home when they will see more of the ball and be less counter attacking, I still think they have attacking threats (look at the goals they score at home) to possibly just blow us away early. On the evidence of the games this season, they are a better side with better players. Even if we had everyone fit, you could argue only Sharp would start for us out of those injured but they do have so many more attacking variety and power up the top of the pitch. I expect them to finish the job on Tuesday and go up beating Huddersfield in the final. They have been the best side in the league since Xmas and Cooper has done a sensational job. Granted they have a fair few loans but will probably buy them all if they go up.

Opponent Man of the Match – I thought Worrall, Cook and McKenna were all rock solid but did not have a striker against them. Surridge at the other end was a threat but Johnson was the one who caused issues when fronting up and took his goal well. Yates and Garner got up and down. Spence was excellent though and we struggled to cope with him all game and looks some player.

Opponent Weak link – Samba maybe takes it just for his mistake on the goal where he got nowhere near it. Not sure anyone was that bad. The defence did their job, the midfield worked hard and picked us off and the forwards were a threat all game.

Referee/Officials – Andre Marriner. He was fine and nothing really that controversial I can recall? The bookings were all about right. Not sure the Berge one was enough and he went down way too easily and a bit theatrically even though there was contact. The rest of the game he was fine and actually let things flow and played the advantage rule well for both sides. He looked a step up from some of the rubbish we have had down here this season.

Matchday/Crowd – Forest fans were vocal and I do think it is an advantage due to the extra numbers and being in the upper tier where the noise always seems to go up a notch. I do think if I was the fans in front of the one who took the lilo, I would not have been pleased to have my view impaired! The Blades fans were really good though and I thought stayed with the team throughout and kept the noise going even when behind. I have been critical of them this season but it was good today. Did not see any issues getting in or even any arguments over seats but maybe that was just the area/stand we were in?

Good report DB, why does everybody think Osborn is a liability ? I thought he did as well as anybody yesterday, sure he is not Prem' standard but a very useful player to have around, at least being able to move him into midfield paved the way for the dreadful Norwood to be hooked!

"Norwood 4/10 – Like Egan, he has had a bit of a mare in both games against Forest. They pressed him a bit but he did have a fair bit of time on the ball too today and he was totally wasteful, either sending aimless balls our of play or passing straight to then. Nothing really came off and defensively he was struggling to keep up with the younger and more athletic Forest pair who had less of the ball but were far more effective"

"Fleck 4.5/10 – Not much better than Norwood but he did begin ok winning some tackles and getting his foot in a few times. He seemed up for it but maybe too much as a daft tackle saw him rightly booked as you cannot go in like that these days. After this he had to be careful and lost some of his aggression. They then started to win more stuff and in turn pushed it forward quicker. We in comparison were plodding and dithering to move it and they just got men back. Too often chasing back slowly as the Forest players were just quicker and maybe even fitter. We had no legs at all in midfield today"

The above just about sums it up really - both were dreadful against younger more athletic and mobile players - but who do you replace them with ?
so I guess it will be more of the same on Tuesday - hopefully not!!

We are still in the game but if they score early (and that is what they will try and do) then it's game over.
I just have a feeling we can't be as bad again - so you never know, keep the faith.

I just got in in time for kick off having joined the queue outside the Kop at around 2.35pm. There were many behind me who would have missed kick off. I did question if it was really necessary for the stewards to frisk everybody as kick off approached with a big press of people trying to get in.

I was really surprised Heckingbottom did not change it in terms of formation or our tactics. We simply kept doing what was not working all season.

Unfortunately I wasn't. The most disappointing aspect. We learnt nothing from the 1-1 draw, played the same way resulting in Norwood being pressed out of the game and taken off again! At that stage we needed a forward on but we go for another body in midfield and lose a further 15 minutes before we change it. In the last Home game the changes worked because we put another up top and were the better team for the last 30. Yesterdays bizarre decision to move Osborn into a number 10 position for 15 minutes failed miserably as it did against Reading at Home. We already had too many 10's on the pitch because no-one was playing as an out and out striker. Agree Jebbison didn't do much but the very fact he was up there caused Florists back 3 to drop deeper.

I have no issues with him coming back for a year but he is not a starting quality top end Championship player. A useful lad for cover in a few positions but lacks quality to make up for his size.

Osborn was badly exposed first half and should have been replaced at half time. As you say squad player only but its PH's fixation that he can play as a 10 is worrying. We needed an out ball down the flanks to get round the press. Unfortunately BO's lack of size and pace prevented this. The same however could be said of Stevens so GB and RND to start for me at the City Ground.

Surridge again got down the side and Stevens failed to stop the cross.

It was Bash. Stevens, Egan and Robinson were all jogging back whilst Florist were attacking at pace. It was an awful goal to concede as 3 of the defence completely switched off for a ball over the top. They were hoping Bash got to the ball first. He didn't. They should have bust a gut to get back as the 2 Florist players who got into the box were behind them when the ball was punted forward. Too often this season we have conceded this type of goal where a simple ball over the top has left us floundering. No criticism of Osborn for this. He saw what was happening and tried to come across and cover. It wasn't his fault he slipped as he was trying to do someone's job for them.

We didn't turn up on the field or the game management. Agree we need to change approach and keep it tight trying to hit the wingbacks to get out of the press. Set pieces are our best option as we have hope with Samba in goal. He is dodgy on corners so we need to crowd him. Its a sad reflection on how poor we were yesterday that we have to rely on set pieces but needs must. Deploying the dark arts is the only way I can see us getting something out of this because there has been an absence of a Plan B all season.

Florist had energy all over the pitch. We were treading treacle for long periods. Yes they were younger but they were conditioned much better and our achilles heel was badly exposed yesterday. The fans turned up yesterday, the players and management didn't. I just hope we don't concede early otherwise it will be a long night. I live in hope for a dodgy ref decision or fluke goal but years of following the Club tell me it doesn't happen to SUFC.

Forest took the paper off the cracks. Promotion or not this year, midfield and fullbacks need changing during the summer. Gibbs-White replacement a must and we will challenge again if we don't do it this season. Deadbat great report by the way.

Both the players and coaching staff were exposed yesterday, outfought and outthought. Cooper knows exactly how to play against us. It was painful to watch how easily they turned our defence, our lack of pace, awareness and athleticism was badly exposed. The big problem is we have players so ingrained to play one way, that the tactical changes we can make are so limited, Hecky has done well with the resources he has, but this game was a bridge too far

The only player to emerge with any sort of credit were Berge, Wes and MGW. The defence looked shell shocked.

Best side in the division for me, and had Cooper been in from the start I think they'd be Champions, and it makes me feel sick saying that as I hate the cunts

Yeah - not much to add after that report and follow -up comments...Really showed up our lack of a fit striker to match Johnson.And a lack of midfield strength.
Need to radically overhaul that team for Tuesday to stand any chance otherwise they will muller us.

Agree with most of the marks, we have to start RND and Baldock on Tuesday night.

If we need to bring anyone on, it has to be Osula, much stronger than Jebbo.
We definitely need to start RND and George on Tuesday, I'd also put the Croatian lad in instead of Bash.
Keep it tight, hopefully nick a set piece and if not get Bash on with 20 to go.

Sadly accurate report Deaders, we didn't turn up again. Set off ok for about 10 minutes then completely lost our way. The defending was atrocious and had it not been for the goalkeeper and a few last ditch blocks we'd have been battered. I shouldn't be, but I was surprised that we didn't suss how they were attacking and change our shape, but we didn't and our lack of pace at the back was plainly obvious. That's on the manager and the players and hopefully, Tuesday when the onus is on them to come at us, we'll sit a bit deeper and not give them as much space.

We're the hardest team to read as we can be excellent and shit in equal measures, yesterday there was a lot of shit, let's hope Tuesday we're back at it.

UTBFTP

Surridge again got down the side and Stevens failed to stop the cross.

It was Bash. Stevens, Egan and Robinson were all jogging back whilst Florist were attacking at pace. It was an awful goal to concede as 3 of the defence completely switched off for a ball over the top. They were hoping Bash got to the ball first. He didn't. They should have bust a gut to get back as the 2 Florist players who got into the box were behind them when the ball was punted forward. Too often this season we have conceded this type of goal where a simple ball over the top has left us floundering. No criticism of Osborn for this. He saw what was happening and tried to come across and cover. It wasn't his fault he slipped as he was trying to do someone's job for them.
1652646236969.png
I think you describe it well. As soon as Worrall gets past Fleck we have to be aware of the space in behind. I think Robinson can argue he's marking Johnson and Bash has to go with Surridge. Egan fails to spot the danger completely, and not only that he seems to be jogging really slowly, rather than sprinting back to help Bash and Osborn.

View attachment 136073
I think you describe it well. As soon as Worrall gets past Fleck we have to be aware of the space in behind. I think Robinson can argue he's marking Johnson and Bash has to go with Surridge. Egan fails to spot the danger completely, and not only that he seems to be jogging really slowly, rather than sprinting back to help Bash and Osborn.
Surprised more people haven’t picked up on this. Egan didn’t cover himself in glory on either of their goals - I put this in the Shoutbox at the time; he was strolling back instead of sprinting, leaving us outnumbered in the middle when the cross came in. Seen posts suggesting he was close to MOTM - not for me.

United – Sadly the curse of the playoffs seems to have struck again but normally we tend to get to the final when we get there, so a total non performance in a semi-final, is a new way of messing up at least! After the euphoria of last week, it was back to the performances where we looked slow, limp and lacking in creativity – which we had seen for most of the close to the season till QPR (2nd half) and Fulham. I was really disappointed with us. Individually and collectively we just did not turn up. Only Foderingham and Berge 2nd half can take any credit really from that showing. I think the players tried hard but sadly they also did not show enough courage in attacking and it meant Forest snuffed us out easily. The quality in the Forest half in terms of crossing, passing and running with the ball was dire. We did not barely get into their box all game in terms of proper danger and one Egan header off the line, a Berge shot over, an MGW one at the keeper and the scrappy goal was the sum of our efforts. Conversely at the other end, they had at least 9 or 10 clear chances. We had so much of the ball but it was slow, ponderous and predictable moving to the side and then a poor ball or cross or we would recycle it across and then lose it as they just picked us off. They looked much quicker to the ball and as the game went on, after they scored which saw them having so many men in the box (we never did that in open play), they got the confidence knowing that our defence was slow and static. They kept knocking the ball over the top and running onto it and then getting bodies to join them. Foderingham made several saves and they missed a few sitters. I was very pleased to go in just one down.

We did have a go second half but nothing clear cut and Fleck and Norwood tired badly and Garner and Yates, younger and fitter players, just started to get on the ball more and gradually we sort of petered out in terms of any attacking threat. Berge did his best but the other two forwards we saw nothing of in terms of real threat and Forest’s big lads had an easy game as the crossing continued to be awful. The second goal summed up their hunger and desire as they won it and got on the rebound again. I worried it could go to 3 or 4 after this and it should have done. The late goal came out of nowhere and gives us a boost. On one hand we are only 1-2 down and maybe we cannot play as badly and it will be a different type of game at Forest, but they also know they can get through us easily and will feel they can and will score goals against us. They also know if they score the first goal, it is pretty much down. For me, weirdly we have to keep it tight and play on the break. I would be happy if it was 0-0 even at the hour mark. We then can have a go but I fear they have too much pace, power and youth. We looked an old team today that was struggling with their mobility and athleticism. We had the ball btu they were happy for us to have it and then just broke on us. I was really surprised Heckingbottom did not change it in terms of formation or our tactics. We simply kept doing what was not working all season.

I did fear Forest as the best team of the sides in the playoffs and the table shows that and today, they were much better than us. Yes, we made errors on the goals but they could have had many more and we got away with a 1-2. I thought Forest might be down after missing out on automatic and us getting in on good form but it was the opposite. They came and played really well and we did not but as I say this has happened both teams, they have played us down at the Lane so sometimes you just have to admit they are a better side. However, we did not get outplayed at the City Ground and maybe United are due to a decent performance against them and Hecky can tweak some things to allow us to create more and not be got through so easily. I feel like Forest will probably go through now and can see it being a comfortable night in the end but that late goal at least gives us a chance. I am still glad we got in the playoffs and weirdly am not as down as I have been for other playoff defeats at this stage. We did not play well but I also think we played a better side and did not deserve anything so not angry with the situation. I just hope whatever happens we give a better account of ourselves and do not go out with another meek, timid performance. That would be a really poor way to go into the summer.

Ratings:

Foderingham 8/10 – Made numerous saves in the first half including a great double one where he got up and reacted to the follow up. A few more standard ones but he still had to save them and simply had too much to do. He had no chance on the goals and was just left badly exposed all game. Only slight knock was his distribution which was the only thing Samba was better at it. Our best player which sums up how poor we were.

Osborn 4/10 – Struggled all game as they played the ball down the side or down the channels more specifically and he and Basham were not quick or mobile enough. It was even worse down the other side. He had dithered a few times on the ball before he slipped over on the goal but even before the slip, he had not picked up the runner. He created nothing going forward and constantly kept slowing it down by taking too many touches or coming back onto his left foot. Went into midfield but barely noticed him before he came off. I have no issues with him coming back for a year but he is not a starting quality top end Championship player. A useful lad for cover in a few positions but lacks quality to make up for his size.

Stevens 3/10 – Started really badly and sort of went on from there and other than a 15-minute spell second half when he settled down and offered us a bit going forward, he had a very difficult afternoon. They clearly targeted his lack of pace and indeed mobility as Spence gave him a torrid time. The first goal he was slow to react to Surridge and failed to stop the cross and this became a feature of our play as they continually went down his side and got past him time after time. Very little in an attacking sense and they then found mor joy towards the end as they played the same ball behind him and he failed to react a few times. Looked a very old (know he is not that old) and tired player today. He had done ok in some recent games but on today’s showing, you do wonder how long he has left at this level?

Basham 4.5/10 – Another who did not have a great afternoon at all and they exploited our lack of pace in the backline with the ball over the top. They got in down either side on a number of occasions and we failed to stop this break. He did not impose himself defensively at all and often looked at full stretch. Going forward he started off in some good areas but wasted at least three crossing opportunities. Second half he did get into more excellent positions but then lost confidence to drive or cross and kept coming back allowing them to get bodies back.

Robinson 6/10 – He was the best of a bad bunch at the back. He at least made a few blocks and tackles and of course was involved in our goal but he also struggled like the rest with the knocked ball over the top and they got into areas where they were facing us up and we were running towards our own goal.

Egan 4.5/10 – Actually made a few vital blocks but overall, the defence was a disorganised mess and he is the heart of that backline. On the first he jogs back and they have men over and this happened often where they had 2 on 2 or even 3 on 2. It was not just when we had a go second half either, but all game. The second goal is all on him as he dithers and loses the ball. Maybe he was frustrated at the lack of options or midfield that made him try and take another touch but it was a terrible error and effectively may have cost us the tie despite the late goal. He has struggled both games at the Lane against Forest.

Norwood 4/10 – Like Egan, he has had a bit of a mare in both games against Forest. They pressed him a bit but he did have a fair bit of time on the ball too today and he was totally wasteful, either sending aimless balls our of play or passing straight to then. Nothing really came off and defensively he was struggling to keep up with the younger and more athletic Forest pair who had less of the ball but were far more effective.

Fleck 4.5/10 – Not much better than Norwood but he did begin ok winning some tackles and getting his foot in a few times. He seemed up for it but maybe too much as a daft tackle saw him rightly booked as you cannot go in like that these days. After this he had to be careful and lost some of his aggression. They then started to win more stuff and in turn pushed it forward quicker. We in comparison were plodding and dithering to move it and they just got men back. Too often chasing back slowly as the Forest players were just quicker and maybe even fitter. We had no legs at all in midfield today.

Berge 7/10 – Our best outfield player. First half maybe could have had a penalty but he did go down easily and would have been soft. After this he flitted in and out of the game but 2nd half, he was by far our best player and was strong, direct and dangerous as he got into good areas. Put a few good balls in too but no one got on the end of it. He also scored our goal although not sure he knew much about it and was like one of those headers you see a child head with their eyes shut! Only player who really turned up for me and that was only a decent performance rather than anything scintillating.

Gibbs White 6/10 – He worked hard and tried to make things happen but nothing came off and he tried to do too much himself actually. Frustrating afternoon and other than one curled shot saved, he had a few runs blocked off or ran into blind alleys. Did take a good corner for the goal. Needs to be far better for us to have a chance Tuesday. He looked gutted at the end as he knew it would be his last game in a Blades shirt at the Lane.

Ndiaye 5/10 – As above really. He tried to get on it and I thought really put a lot into the game in terms of effort but do not recall him creating anything at all or having any efforts at goal. He chased back and tried to help recover possession but in an attacking sense he just got crowded out by bodies. Without a natural centre forward, it is hard as we are having to probe or run through from deep

Subs –

Baldock – Came on and just fouled people or made stupid decisions with the ball. He will probably start Tuesday as we need some more pace at the back as we looked painfully slow today against quick players running through. He makes some bewildering decisions at times and like with Stevens, is a shadow of his former self from 2 or 3 years ago.

Jebbison – He ran around but barely touched it and the difference with the striker they brought on in terms of power and influence is night and day.

Norrington Davis – I would have introduced him at half time as Stevens was struggling and not sure what the point of him was that late? Hecky does make these odd subs with little time left.

Manager: Heckingbottom 3/10 – Cooper seems to have his number in terms of tactically knowing how to set up against us. Let us have the ball (maybe press Norwood if he comes into their half) and send us wide and wait for the cross or attack to fizzle out. Attacking wise, the direct route of the ball down the sides and over the top will catch us out and leave us struggling. They did it in the league and same again today. He did not change the tactics or formation and thus we created nothing and they created a number of chances. He had very limited options on the bench to defend him but it was not working so had to try something different – even if it was a brave first half change of formation/tactics. We looked like the side we had for the last few months until those last two games – slow and predictable and creating little at all.

Forest – They remain the best side I have seen at the Lane and in two games have battered us and really should have won both games comfortably. The only knock is their dreadful finishing and then poor defending at the death. They played less football and had a lot less of the ball than the league game where they looked a good football side and were quite direct today but it worked. They knocked balls over the top and just got runners in and behind. We had no idea how to stop this. The defence tried to go deeper but they still created so many chances for an away side. They should have been 3 up at least at half time. Second half they sat back more and we had a spell but did little really in terms of sustained box pressure or chances. They then got the 2nd (more on the break this one) and after this it should have been even more really. They just picked us off and then broke quickly at pace all game knowing they had more speed and mobility.

Weird one for them as they win the game 2-1 in an away game which before the game, they would have been delighted with but then after they may be disappointed. They will know our weaknesses now and even at home when they will see more of the ball and be less counter attacking, I still think they have attacking threats (look at the goals they score at home) to possibly just blow us away early. On the evidence of the games this season, they are a better side with better players. Even if we had everyone fit, you could argue only Sharp would start for us out of those injured but they do have so many more attacking variety and power up the top of the pitch. I expect them to finish the job on Tuesday and go up beating Huddersfield in the final. They have been the best side in the league since Xmas and Cooper has done a sensational job. Granted they have a fair few loans but will probably buy them all if they go up.

Opponent Man of the Match – I thought Worrall, Cook and McKenna were all rock solid but did not have a striker against them. Surridge at the other end was a threat but Johnson was the one who caused issues when fronting up and took his goal well. Yates and Garner got up and down. Spence was excellent though and we struggled to cope with him all game and looks some player.

Opponent Weak link – Samba maybe takes it just for his mistake on the goal where he got nowhere near it. Not sure anyone was that bad. The defence did their job, the midfield worked hard and picked us off and the forwards were a threat all game.

Referee/Officials – Andre Marriner. He was fine and nothing really that controversial I can recall? The bookings were all about right. Not sure the Berge one was enough and he went down way too easily and a bit theatrically even though there was contact. The rest of the game he was fine and actually let things flow and played the advantage rule well for both sides. He looked a step up from some of the rubbish we have had down here this season.

Matchday/Crowd – Forest fans were vocal and I do think it is an advantage due to the extra numbers and being in the upper tier where the noise always seems to go up a notch. I do think if I was the fans in front of the one who took the lilo, I would not have been pleased to have my view impaired! The Blades fans were really good though and I thought stayed with the team throughout and kept the noise going even when behind. I have been critical of them this season but it was good today. Did not see any issues getting in or even any arguments over seats but maybe that was just the area/stand we were in?

Criminal Robinson gets a 6... they don't score their second if he decides he can be bothered to track Johnson instead of ball watching. Worst bit of defending seen at the Lane all season.

View attachment 136073

Christ they're playing with a front 5!!

Back
Top Bottom