United 0 West Ham 1 - report and podcast

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast and report on the latest depressing result…..

Billed as a huge game that United simply had to get something from in order to kick start their season, sadly it was another defeat and one that leaves the Blades absolutely rock bottom and now in huge danger of being cut away from many of the other teams. It is now 1 point from 9 games and this abysmal start continued despite the opposition being inferior to many of those they played before the last international break. Today, United failed to win at the Lane again and now have 5 of the last 6 at home going back to last season.

Today, United did have chances and on another day, it could have gone the way of the home side but once again poor defending cost us at the vital moment as the opposition showed a bit of quality to win the game. Ollie McBurnie had a number of chances but failed again to score with his effort hitting the bar summing up his, and United’s season. The final whistle saw the Blades players look absolutely despondent as they failed to get anything yet again from a game.

It was another much-changed side with Ethan Ampadu coming back in after being ineligible to face Chelsea and seemed to be starting at left centre back. Back came John Fleck after a period out injured and McBurnie started in place of Brewster who was dropped to the bench. There was no place in the for the injured Enda Stevens or Billy Sharp who was not in the squad for the first time this season. Lys Mousset was not seemed fit enough to be involved yet. West Ham started with England man Declan Rice in midfield but were without key man Michail Antonio but started with big money signing Benrahma joining Blades nemesis Robert Snodgrass on the bench. Yarmolenko was self-isolating and not in the match day squad.

United started quickly as they kicked towards the Kop and in the first minute a cross came in that just evaded McBurnie. On three minutes Egan’s diagonal ball saw Baldock get in on the angle but his shot at the near post was saved by Fabianski’s feet.

The Blades were pressing high up the field and had another chance after a West Ham turnover but Basham’s cross was poor. United won an early corner after Berge and McGoldrick nearly combined but it came to nothing.

The first 10 minutes had certainly been United’s but slowly West Ham started to get a foot in the game and from a long throw Bowen hooked it on but no one could get on the end of it. On 23 minutes, United had their second effort on goal as Basham’s tackle kickstarted a move with Baldock pulling it back and McBurnie hitting a powerful shot but straight at Fabianski who palmed out. Fleck’s shot on the rebound was weak and dribbled into the keepers’ hands.

The next period of the game saw West Ham have a lot more of the ball and start to force United back. They had their first real chance when Baldock tried to gamble to win a tackle but lost it and Masuaku drifted inside and his cross was helped on by Bowen to Coufal whose shot was well saved by Ramsdale and fortunately it did not fall for an attacker.

United had not had the attacking impetus they had enjoyed early on and a number of poor crosses featured with Lowe the latest culprit. West Ham at the other end had the best chance of the game with Basham failing to cut out a throw and the cross came over and Haller nodded down. The goal was gaping but Soucek blazed badly wide. A real let off for United.

West Ham then had another opportunity when a long ball was headed back and Egan had to make a block for a corner. The away side were now controlling possession and United did not look as threatening but then the home side had a flurry of chances with a cross from Berge headed goalward by McBurnie and Fabianski made the save you would expect but maybe made heavy weather of it. From the corner McBurnie did well to knock on but McGoldrick was offside when he flicked his own header onto the post.

Just before the break, West Ham broke and Bowen’s running saw him free down the right and he came inside Ampadu but maybe rather selfishly took the shot and Egan made the block. The corner was cleared and the half time whistle came soon after this. It had been a relatively even contest with United shaded the chances but West Ham maybe having the best opportunity through Soucek.

After the break, United began well with Lowe’s cross cleared and McGoldrick coming onto it but his shot was straight at Fabianski and comfortable. West Ham then had a chance as a ball over the top caught Ampadu out and Haller got his toe to it but Ramsdale did well to smother.

West Ham were pressing higher up and now causing problems for United who were giving it away. The next 5 minutes saw the Blades struggle to get out. From one such moment Ramsdale kicked away and with no challenge from McBurnie, the ball came forward and was knocked on and Fornals came inside and his shot was blocked but fell to HALLER who hit a powerful shot that Ramsdale got a hand to but he could not keep it out. It was another game without a clean sheet.

The Hammers now were dominating and came again with men over. Ampadu gave it away seemingly injured and the away side were in but Burke’s shot was blocked and Haller could not force home.

A chance was flicked wide from Cresswell’s delivery from wide and United were looking a sorry sight as the next goal looked more likely to go to West Ham. Norwood was replaced by Brewster as McGoldrick dropped into midfield.

United had offered nothing after that McGoldrick early shot but Berge nearly fed the same man in but it was blocked off. West Ham came forward and Haller nearly sidefooted in a second after good work from Masuaku down the left who got away from Baldock. This was a really good chance and he needed to do better than shoot wide from close range.

West Ham looked more likely to get another and nearly did. On 72 minutes Rice crashed a header off the bar as he somehow was being marked by Baldock. Yet, two minutes later United had a chance, as Brewster played in McBurnie and he steadied himself but his shot hit the bar with Fabianski beaten. He maybe should have done better as he was one on one but summed up United’s rotten luck although both teams had hit the woodwork in close succession.

Lundstram came on for Basham but West Ham but the game was becoming really scrappy now. West Ham had opportunities to make it safe but played the wrong final ball whilst United huffed and puffed but could not get any concerted pressure at all. On 89 minutes, United went all the way back to the goalkeeper after having the ball for over a minute and that summed up the lack of bravery. Every player did not take responsibility. West Ham saw out much of the stoppage time professionally and the final chance for United saw a shocking cross from McGoldrick straight into the keepers hands and that was it. It was another defeat in the worst start to a Premier League season by any team in history and one of United’s worst runs of games without a win in their whole history.

United – Another desperately disappointing day. Were we awful? No. Were we good? No. We were average though at best against a side that are no great shakes and that last season we would have put away. They were missing their most dangerous player and really, we need to be playing better and beating teams like that if we are to have any chance of staying up. We are not becoming a bit of a laughing stock when you look at not so much the table but the results this season. Today we were not playing a top side and maybe on another day we could be the 1-0 winners but this has happened too much this season for it not to be a coincidence. Other teams have better forward/players capable of scoring and stop others teams scoring at the other end. First half we started well and for 10 minutes as at Chelsea and other games felt we did well and had a few half chances. Baldock has a shot and McBurnie too. They were not golden chances but we never take half chances even. They then got back into the game and started to dictate and will argue the next two chances were even better with Ramsdale making a good save and then the miss from Soucek which was the best opportunity of the half. I felt after being dynamic with and without the ball for 10 minutes we just slowly started to sit back and they controlled the ball a lot more than we did and the midfield had no influence whatsoever after starting well. We did end the half better but overall; it was fairly even first half with both teams having chances. 0-0 (or maybe 1-1) was about right.

Second half was really poor and we looked a ragged mess much of it. We had one shot through McGoldrick but then it was all them for a spell in terms of attacking threat and composure on the ball. They had 10-15 minutes where they had men over and we looked knackered (as the Fulham game). They eventually scored an avoidable goal but you sensed it might be coming. After this we made changes but it was all so scrappy. I think they had more chances and had a few moments where it could have been 2 or 3 and then Rice hit the bar. We then had our one real chance of the half and hit the bar which is unfortunate but they had done the same really and the 2nd half they were much better than us – not even sure they were that good. We were safe on the ball. No one committed to going forward and off it we did not press/tackle or do anything. The goal summed it up with no one covering, chasing or closing down. It was pathetic really. They had other moments like this where they nearly had free shots inside our box where in contrast that never happened to us. We changed things and Brewster came on and at least had a few moments of decent play and we tried to gamble a bit at the end but it was all a bit desperate and we never really looked like scoring or even having an effort after the one that hit the bar. In the end 1-0 to them was probably about right. They had a similar amount of chances to us and indeed the big chances Haller and Soucek / Mcburnie for us with one - they shaded it. Baldock had one saved as did Coufal. I just felt quality on the ball and composure in the right moments they had it and in the end for an away side they controlled most of the second half.

For us it’s hard to know where we go from here. Forums and social media will debate formations/tactics and selections but he changed it again and brought Fleck back and put Ampadu centre back. Not sure if Stevens comes back and then maybe Mousset it is going to change much either. The reality is that individually, collectively and managerially we are second best every week. We look a shadow of the team from last season and as much as everyone gets really angry at the 2nd season syndrome whether it is us or opponents working us out; we are miles off where we were and nowhere near the side we showed last season. At the moment we are the worst team in the league and maybe by some distance. Only Burnley can rival us. At least West Brom and Fulham are entertaining to watch and have some individual talent and scoring threat going forward. Not only are we dire in terms of performances and results but we are boring to watch. I am not sure all these fine margins talk is the truth either. As I say results and things like today are happening most weeks. That is because our players are not good enough at the moment to get results, score goals or stop goals. You cannot say it’s unlucky or things are not falling when it is happening every week. 8 defeats from 9 games and 1 goal from open play and often we rarely look like scoring. Today, as much as we had some chances, I am not sure outside the McBurnie one they are golden chances/sitters. They are decent chances the other 2 or 3 but not glaring misses. West Ham via Haller and Soucek both missed much better opportunities than anything we had outside of the one that hit the bar and they hit the bar too so the narrative of us missing chances is not quite right when they had as many good ones if not more. Overall, play outside of the first 10 minutes we were not good enough. Defensively they got through us too much, midfield we had no control and lacked much cutting edge or outlet up the top. Sadly, against quite an ordinary team, they still looked better than us probably.

Not sure where we go from here. I think we may need to stick with a least 8 or 9 of the side (maybe he can bring Stevens in for Lowe and then maybe Brewster plays more) but if people were asked to name our strongest team with Jack being out, most would pick 8 or 9 of the 11 today maybe 10. So, it’s not like there are lots of players in the background who are going to be much better options. I am not sure Bogle (yes, I know he has not had a chance), Lundstram, Osborn, Robinson and Sharp coming in is going to dramatically change things and most of these had chances too and not been much better. He will just have to stick with the bulk of the team for a series of games and hope they find some form, fitness (not just Fleck but how tired did we look 2nd half again – don’t give me international duty b****s either as others have players away too – most have more than us!) and confidence. These players are the ones that got us up and did well last year so the bulk our fate needs to rest with. Talk about a change of formation may come in but not sure 3 or 4 years of playing like this and changing it will happen. He does need to make tweaks or changes as at the moment we are plodding on and nose diving to being in the history books as the worst team in Premier League history.

At the moment things are really depressing. I think sadly reality will have hit home for most today. I saw us being crap in most games even before that trio of fixture and literally outplayed v Fulham 2nd half and overran – a really poor team. A lot said we would turn it around when we played other teams not as strong but today saw a quite ordinary West Ham team win fairly comfortably and 2nd half just up the pressure and intensity and we folded so easily again. We look a bit spinless and I was waiting and waiting for some fight and intensity but nothing. It was the sort of defeat where we just kind of accepted our lot. No one got hold of the ball or tried to make things happen. It was depressing to watch the 2nd half. I do not see how we can turn it around currently as there is so much wrong. It’s not just scoring goals or conceding them but the lack of aggression, fitness, confidence, pace, strength and ability. I am stunned how bad we have become from the team I saw for 2/3rds of last season. It is literally like a different set of men (yes, I know 2 or 3 are different).

Ratings:

Ramsdale 6/10 – First half made one good save from the shot from Coufal and had a bit of luck as again he pushed into a central position. He did make a few intelligent kick outs on the ground also first half. Second half he saw a few miss his post and they had a few efforts blocked and then the goal sure people will find fault again but he was badly exposed. His kick out was fine as it made half way on his weak foot but no pressure on the ball and it comes back and then no pressure on the shot. It was a hard shot and he got his hand to it but sometimes you can do that and still not be your fault.

Baldock 6.5/10 – Started well with a great run although he needs to go across the keeper with the shot. Then made a few poor decisions on the ball and his crossing was poor. Too anxious to get in and twice gambled and they got away and nearly scored from one such opportunity. Most of our attacks came down this side and at least he was involved and energetic. Quality wise and decision wise though not sure he is offering much when he gets into these attacking positions. I also though they did cause us problems down both sides. One of the few that actually seemed to want it though whilst others heads dropped too soon. He kept running forward and for effort alone may have been our best player as he at least tried to attack and go forward even down the left at times.

Lowe 4.5/10 – Still looks very much a deer in headlights and felt positionally he was all over and gave his man way too much time. Just looks very panicky on and off the ball. He is quite weak too and does not actually look that quick. They caused a few problems down this side early on. Going forward simply not a threat and seems to not know where to run. Second half he actually at least got into the half of the opposition but not sure we saw any quality at all. He is not ready for the Premier League. We would be better playing Osborn here.

Basham 6/10 – Mixed first half. He made a few good interceptions and tackles but a few moments he got forward his crossing was poor on the whole. He also nearly let them in missing intercepting a throw and they had the shot that Ramsdale saved. All action again but he did make errors and not sure why he went back to the keeper on the goal although to be fair he blocked the initial shot on the goal. Not sure we saw anything of him going forward after that and for once also I could not fault him being taken off as we were not seeing anything going forward.

Ampadu 5.5/10 – Thought he showed his pace and covering when he could but then Bowen got away from him near the end of the half. He kept his shape and composure defensively first half but did not see him go over half way at all and with Lowe not a threat and Fleck quiet, meant that side we offered little. Second half he started switching off and a few times they got in when he lost his man. Then seemed to get a knock around the same time he nearly led to a chance for them.

Egan 6.5/10 – Thought he was our best defender first half winning headers and making some good blocks/tackles. Put a great ball through for Baldock and was looking for this diagonal ball more. He kept plugging away and felt he was one of the few defenders who threw his body in the line and at least tried to come forward. On the goal though it’s his man who scores and not sure why he goes across when Basham was there and was out of position. He was actually trying to bring the ball out. I feel he is been one of our better players this season and still not hit the heights of last season.

Fleck 4/10 – Quiet and looked off the pace. Hard one as you have to get him playing to get him up to pace and we need him so we may have to have a few games like this. Rather keep him in and let him get up to speed than the other options who were hardly excelling. Second half not sure I saw him at all and on the goal, he was guilty of letting him run inside him too easily. I thought the midfield were decent the first 10 minutes but after this we did not press, win loose stuff or really get on the ball. We had nothing in this area of the field and indeed have not all season. A lot is being made of the defence or attack but we are not closing down or having enough of the ball.

Norwood 4/10 – Started well and was involved but West Ham started to take control of midfield but after first 10 minutes never saw him really. He did not press the ball and did not break things up and was never on the ball. On the goal he was pathetic as he just did not react or close down. I like him but he looks a shadow of the player we saw last season and looks like he is running in mud.

Berge 5/10 – Really quiet game. Did a few bits of neat and tidy play and one good cross and I suppose we attacked more down this side but too conservative for me. He played one or two decent balls forward second half but too often it was safe and sideways. I have been criticised for doubting him this season but not sure he affects game that much at all and it’s just bits and pieces really and often you do not see him for long spells. I am not sure I say this fantastic talent others do. He is a decent footballer but not impactful or consistent enough. The goal summed him up as he had the chance to go forward but went back and safe and then soon after it went back to the keeper.

McGoldrick 4/10 – Not really in the game for long spells and felt we had little up top in terms of hold up or threat. He tried to get more involved second half and then ended up more in front of the midfield but too often the ball got away from him or he made poor choices. I love Didzy but everything seems too quick for him at the moment and the fact he gets caught constantly offside is a concern also as kills quite a few of our attacks. The moment at the end where he just completely fluffed his cross summed up his game. Another who looks tired and off the pace completely. I used to love watching him play but now he just looks old and slow.

McBurnie 5/10 – Had two efforts first half I suppose and at least got a shot and header on target and the latter was a decent effort. Overall, felt it came back off him too much and he gave it away cheaply. He is painfully weak and slow as it showed at times but he did keep going. Had the one chance second half and maybe he needs to do better but another day it goes in. I have been a big critic of him but he looked the most likely today and not sure he was that great either. Second half we had little to no threat outside that one chance he hit the bar. I thought he did try today and whilst things did not come off, without him we would have had zero threat and he was much better than his partner. Our strikers are really poor though and sadly we have Championship players. He is looking really out of his depth (as is McGoldrick and all our strikers). Wilder may have to try Mousset and Burke and at least we will turn teams more and get the ball up the pitch. At the moment they don’t offer much individually or collectively and the lack of goals for strikers is shambolic really.

Subs –

Brewster 5.5/10 – At least showed something with a neat flick and then a good ball to McBurnie but the game was all a bit stretched so hard to judge him. He did look more interested and involved at least but still made some poor decisions when he had it too fired two balls straight at our players for no reason whatsoever.

Robinson 5/10 – Came on and was ok but at this point we had no real shape and it was all a bit chaotic and not in a good way. Another player who is painfully one footed though. He did not even get chance to use his throw.

Lundstram – Gave it away 2 or 3 times and just stopped running twice as they ran away. Looked disinterested to me but maybe that is harsh. I am not sure I would have him around if we keep losing and if we get really cut adrift and look like we are down then he needs to be moved on in January somehow even if he is allowed to leave for his pre contract club as he is not an asset at the moment.

Manager Wilder 4/10 – It’s been a pitiful season. We are now going from being poor and desperate to a bit of a laughing stock and on course to be the worst Premier League team ever never mind just getting relegated. Today we played ok for 10 minutes again and then the opponent came onto us and had more control of the ball and game. Chance wise it was even first half and 0-0 was about right. I thought once again the second half was really poor again and we looked a bit of a mess. Even before the goal I thought that we ceded possession and territory and you sensed they may get one if they had a chance. We did not really have a proper go at all after that. Outside the McBurnie chance did we really apply any concerted pressure and we looked a bit of a ragged mess after the game.

Moyes said we changed the system two or three times. Not sure I saw that? I saw McGoldrick drop but not sure I saw the significant changes that he saw in terms of shape. Maybe we had 4 at the back last 10 minutes or so. It was such a mess I had no idea who was playing where Baldock seemed to be left wing for the final part of the game. We had McBurnie in midfield for a bit and then Fleck went right. It was like a kid’s game not a Premier League side. We never had enough of the ball at all and second half we had another big fade away and other than the last 5 minutes having a bit of a go not sure we really attacked them at all.

I don’t actually know what our style of play is anymore. We have no identity or style at all. We are not a physical, direct side but are not a footballing, possession side. Not sure what we are and that is down the coaching.

Wilder said we have to keep going but it will be hard as the confidence keeps sapping away. I did agree when he said we are too safe and looked scared. He talked about quality but he has had the chance and spent 50 million on Ramsdale, Brewster and the two wing backs and non are really standing out sadly so he has to take some responsibility. He seems almost powerless to turn things around and it reaches a point where the players just tune managers out. Baldock’s words seemed to suggest that is not the case but if you lose every week – then it is inevitable that questions get asked over what you can change. I would be deeply saddened and angry if he did leave personally but it is not the same Wilder as last season. He now at the point where in terms of being the next next thing and on everybody’s lips lasts season, he is now being questioned as a bit of a one season wonder at this level as are we.

It was interesting to hear on Sky Sports News the presenter say the pressure is growing on Chris Wilder. I do not think we should or will sack him as it would be ridiculous but he is now 3-1 and 7-2 with some markets and out on his own on some ahead of Bilic. If we keep losing it will be interesting to see what the owner does around Xmas time. I would be very disappointed if he did sack him and still think I could see if we are still in this position after Xmas, that Wilder’s pride would be such he may even walk away. I hope I am wrong but I see little fight in him like he used to show. As I say I can see the scenario around Xmas/Jan if we lost another 4 or 5 on the bounce where he will just offer his resignation and I think the Prince would accept. I hope I am wrong but he won’t sit here and watch us lose another 8 or 9 on the bounce. If we fail to get a result in the next set up to Xmas then I would not be shocked if with us pretty much down that he would just walk away. It is unthinkable to go back to last March and think this is possible but football can be ruthless. I am not sure any new manager would change things by the way but just the way I think it may go.

West Ham – Moyes gets a lot of criticism but he kept them up last year even though they were still not much better when he went in and signed a few more players to add to the squad and they have started this year much better.

I think they have made some odd signings that have not always paid off but have gone to the Championship and in Bowen and Benrahma probably have bought more wisely than us. I still think old stagers like Noble are important and Antonio is a very underrated forward who works so hard and I would love at United. Rice is maybe not quite the polished England player many see but is useful in he can play both defence and midfield and is a steady player if not someone who really stands out I feel.

The start they have had and the players they possess means they will be away from the bottom but mid table is a push I reckon. Probably helps them they are not playing in front of crowds as the London Stadium became quite negative for them in terms of fans moaning and the lack of atmosphere generally. Not sure what the stats are on games in the last year or so with and without crowds there but they seem to be doing better to me.

Today, not sure they were great and could have been behind early but then improved and I felt they were the better side for a large chunk of the first half. Second half they played further up the field, upped the tempo and pressed us. They got a goal and then saw it out with only one scare – indeed they had better chances after they scored than we did. In that way it was a classic away performance and one that saw them pick up the win they would argue they just about deserved for possession and big chances. Another day it’s a draw or they could even miss out and lose but Moyes seems to have given them a steel they did not have last year.

Opponent Man of the Match – Rice I thought was excellent and the best midfield on the pitch and they gave the man of the match to a centre back but Masuaku was excellent and a constant threat with his running so will give it to him.

Opponent Weak link – Lot of average performances. I think Balbuena made a few mistakes as he did in a game v us last season but we did not capitalise. Cresswell is decent going forward but we did not get at him as a centre back. Outside of the goal Haller did little and missed a sitter.

Referee/Officials/VAR – Martin Atkinson. Excellent. Let the game flow early and this set the precedent for a game that was not stop start. We had no controversial decisions all game and not one booking which is damning on us as even 1-0 down we never put a tackle in all 2nd half indeed all game.

Just as a wider point, it has been another weekend of controversial decisions but VAR almost trying to justify their existence and getting involved for no reason. We are still having subjective decisions decided by others or influenced by others.

Thought West Brom got completely stiffed twice yesterday and the fact Match of the Day did not even mention a clear foul on Gallagher in the build-up was startling. I feel that the refs and VAR are getting involved too much. The whole point is as Rio Ferdinand said yesterday, they are to eliminate real howlers. Now we seem to have refs looking again or VAR changing things that are not clear errors. It stops the game and is still very much an opinion-based decision. The penalties for West Brom/Villa not given yesterday still boiled down to one opinion. If the ref gave them why do they need to get involved. It also made me laugh how they slow things down at certain points to show a bit of a touch on the ball (I thought the Villa man got hacked even though there was a touch on the ball and it was theatrical yesterday) to suit the VAR’s agenda and anything they believe. It is becoming depressing. The only good thing if we go down is not having to deal with this nonsense every week.

Crowd/Atmosphere/Pundits – We even heard Blowing Bubbles more than the GCB song. That summed it up for us. Even the fake crowd we are losing the battles and that was even at 0-0! I thought the pundits and commentators were quite kind on us. I felt they could have been a lot more critical for our second half performance.

Moyes said we changed the system two or three times. Not sure I saw that? I saw McGoldrick drop but not sure I saw the significant changes that he saw in terms of shape. Maybe we had 4 at the back last 10 minutes or so. It was such a mess I had no idea who was playing where Baldock seemed to be left wing for the final part of the game. We had McBurnie in midfield for a bit and then Fleck went right. It was like a kid’s game not a Premier League side. We never had enough of the ball at all and second half we had another big fade away and other than the last 5 minutes having a bit of a go not sure we really attacked them at all.

I don’t actually know what our style of play is anymore. We have no identity or style at all. We are not a physical, direct side but are not a footballing, possession side. Not sure what we are and that is down the coaching.

65' Brewster on for Norwood - change to 3-4-1-2 with McGoldrick behind Brewster and McBurnie
'76 Lundstram for Basham - change to 4-4-2 diamond

The rest was just roaming.

Agree 100% with that report. At the moment we are a side who are just going through the motions, no fight, no aggression, far too ready to accept defeat. Even Wilder looks a beaten man who seems to be accepting our fate and has no clue how to halt the slide. Deadbat mentions he thinks Wilder could decide to walk if we are adrift at Xmas. I think if we lose at West Brom he could well hand in his resignation he seems to have lost all the fight he was known for last season. If he did it would be hard for the Prince not to accept, 1pt from 36 is appalling and maybe the lack of fight is being transmitted to the players. Wilders after match interview was pitiful he looks resigned to relegation, it really is sad to see.

Agree Metalblade. I thought he looked a beaten man. Absolutely love the guy and he will be part of our proud history but we have regressed since lockdown and spend £50 million plus ( with limited results) and like every manager in any industry he needs to be accountable.

Deadbat, factual & objective report as ever, 29 games left of which 13 are against proper teams - Man C, Man U x2, Liverpool, Leicester x2, Tottenham x2, Everton x2, Wolves, Chelsea & Arsenal - this gives us a further 16 games against lesser teams (although this includes Southampton who are currently flying) in which to get 35 points.

Simple maths therefore equates to 34 points from 16 games = 2.125 points per game.

It’s not looking great folks.

65' Brewster on for Norwood - change to 3-4-1-2 with McGoldrick behind Brewster and McBurnie

Yeah I had no idea - maybe I was not paying enough close attention or the changes were not significant enough to notice. After 76 min (had McBurnie hit the bar before that?) it was a mess.

No confidence and no continuity. The two things that we’ve relied on, if we’re honest.

There was definitely a point when Lowe was playing as a left midfielder, as well.

It's a bit more positive today.

People will pull up McBurnie again but look at the stats. West Ham had far more chances than us. Were the better team in and out of possession.

First half was pretty equal. We looked a lot sharper from the off and biting into challenges and pressing well. Much improved. They had the best chance but we had more good chances. They probably just shaded it but only on points.

Second half we started fairly sluggishly and never really snapped out of it. Too slow and too much over-passing. West Ham could easily have scored another. They were the more likely and to be honest I don't think they played very well.

It was a better performance, especially first half, but not enough. West Ham didn't play that well and it was fairly easy for them.

I was laughing about Declan Rice being an England player earlier today but thought he was immense and easily the man of the match. Won everything. Involved in driving them forward and always in the way.

Ramsdale - 6 - Made a very smart save first half but distribution was mixed (great pass to Fleck but some wasted kicks forward). His clearance on his weaker foot led to their goal but harsh to blame him overly (he should have just knocked it to Lowe) as there was no closing down and once again fairly shoddy defending
Lowe - 5 - First half was pretty awful. Gave the ball away several times and looked poor or out of position at the back. Started second half in the same vein but pushed forward more and we actually had some kind of attacking presence down the left. Distribution needs to be better as does his crossing but looked more of a threat.
Ampadu - 5 - With Lowe, pretty shocking first half. Too easily bullied off the ball and his positioning is suspect (not surprising considering). He needs to be much stronger and must less sloppy. His passing is often too casual
Egan - 7 - Made a number of important blocks and challenges. Solid at the back and won nearly everything in the air. They went longer but he won his battles
Basham - 6- Fairly solid and got forward well a couple of times second half. Oddly for him, didn't notice him much today
Baldock - 6 - Good first half but fairly toothless during the second. They attacked more don his side second half and it was a bit too easy for them. Needs to be tighter to his man
Fleck - 6 - He tired as the game went on, which is not surprising considering he'd been out. We looked a better team with him back on the left. More balanced.
Norwood - 6 - We look a better team with him on the pitch. His distribution was good early doors but his influence waned
Berge - 6 - Put in a couple of great crosses and broke forward a couple of times. I think he needs to be more influential though. We needed more from him today.
McGoldrick - 5.5 - He links the play up well but was very wasteful today. A bit too slow and off the boil. A couple of times he had a go but poor efforts. He looks to be a half yard slower this season. Too indecisive.
McBurnie - 6.5 - Looked the most likely upfront. Should have done better with the volley as he was running through but had a great header saved. He was busy and put himself around. Provided an outlet for us. Second half, should have scored when played through but had little else to work with. Held the ball up decently and flicked the ball on. We actually put some great crosses in first half but seemed a little on his heels. Needs to gamble earlier

Robinson - 6 - Slow on the ball and was almost dispossessed but did ok.
Brewster - 6 - Put a great ball through for McBurnie but gave a way several fouls. Looks frustrated but needs to be playing further up. McBurnie was the furthest forward, which makes little sense to me.
Lunny - 6 - Did very little when he came on

Wilder - 5.5 - I think he picked the correct team and we started well but we faded. Second half we were clearly second best in every department and despite changing things round had little impact. We look short this season. It's very worrying.

It's a bit more positive today.

People will pull up McBurnie again but look at the stats. West Ham had far more chances than us. Were the better team in and out of possession.

First half was pretty equal. We looked a lot sharper from the off and biting into challenges and pressing well. Much improved. They had the best chance but we had more good chances. They probably just shaded it but only on points.

Second half we started fairly sluggishly and never really snapped out of it. Too slow and too much over-passing. West Ham could easily have scored another. They were the more likely and to be honest I don't think they played very well.

It was a better performance, especially first half, but not enough. West Ham didn't play that well and it was fairly easy for them.

I was laughing about Declan Rice being an England player earlier today but thought he was immense and easily the man of the match. Won everything. Involved in driving them forward and always in the way.

Ramsdale - 6 - Made a very smart save first half but distribution was mixed (great pass to Fleck but some wasted kicks forward). His clearance on his weaker foot led to their goal but harsh to blame him overly (he should have just knocked it to Lowe) as there was no closing down and once again fairly shoddy defending
Lowe - 5 - First half was pretty awful. Gave the ball away several times and looked poor or out of position at the back. Started second half in the same vein but pushed forward more and we actually had some kind of attacking presence down the left. Distribution needs to be better as does his crossing but looked more of a threat.
Ampadu - 5 - With Lowe, pretty shocking first half. Too easily bullied off the ball and his positioning is suspect (not surprising considering). He needs to be much stronger and must less sloppy. His passing is often too casual
Egan - 7 - Made a number of important blocks and challenges. Solid at the back and won nearly everything in the air. They went longer but he won his battles
Basham - 6- Fairly solid and got forward well a couple of times second half. Oddly for him, didn't notice him much today
Baldock - 6 - Good first half but fairly toothless during the second. They attacked more don his side second half and it was a bit too easy for them. Needs to be tighter to his man
Fleck - 6 - He tired as the game went on, which is not surprising considering he'd been out. We looked a better team with him back on the left. More balanced.
Norwood - 6 - We look a better team with him on the pitch. His distribution was good early doors but his influence waned
Berge - 6 - Put in a couple of great crosses and broke forward a couple of times. I think he needs to be more influential though. We needed more from him today.
McGoldrick - 5.5 - He links the play up well but was very wasteful today. A bit too slow and off the boil. A couple of times he had a go but poor efforts. He looks to be a half yard slower this season. Too indecisive.
McBurnie - 6.5 - Looked the most likely upfront. Should have done better with the volley as he was running through but had a great header saved. He was busy and put himself around. Provided an outlet for us. Second half, should have scored when played through but had little else to work with. Held the ball up decently and flicked the ball on. We actually put some great crosses in first half but seemed a little on his heels. Needs to gamble earlier

Robinson - 6 - Slow on the ball and was almost dispossessed but did ok.
Brewster - 6 - Put a great ball through for McBurnie but gave a way several fouls. Looks frustrated but needs to be playing further up. McBurnie was the furthest forward, which makes little sense to me.
Lunny - 6 - Did very little when he came on

Wilder - 5.5 - I think he picked the correct team and we started well but we faded. Second half we were clearly second best in every department and despite changing things round had little impact. We look short this season. It's very worrying.

Some good points and analysis. Not sure I can give anyone more than a 5 in the midfield that outside the first 10 minutes never had control of the game/ball/possession nor protected the defence let alone had a shot/created anything really.

Agree with you on Rice - streets ahead of any our midfield on and off the ball.

No confidence and no continuity. The two things that we’ve relied on, if we’re honest.

What about skill, tackles, through balls, fitness, pace, goals....apart from that though? ;)

Agree 100% with that report. At the moment we are a side who are just going through the motions, no fight, no aggression, far too ready to accept defeat. Even Wilder looks a beaten man who seems to be accepting our fate and has no clue how to halt the slide. Deadbat mentions he thinks Wilder could decide to walk if we are adrift at Xmas. I think if we lose at West Brom he could well hand in his resignation he seems to have lost all the fight he was known for last season. If he did it would be hard for the Prince not to accept, 1pt from 36 is appalling and maybe the lack of fight is being transmitted to the players. Wilders after match interview was pitiful he looks resigned to relegation, it really is sad to see.

Regarding his interviews, it's hard to stay upbeat post match when explaining defeat number 8 out of 9. He can't be harsh with the players either at the minute, as confidence must be low.

Hopefully he'll be more positive ahead of the next game and rather than turning defensive about certain tactical stuff, maybe he could assert us a bit by saying they're always discussing the different tactical options that are available. It's not good if fans are starting to think the management are too stubborn to consider making changes.

What was Bassett's interviews like in November 1990?

Agree with everything you've said Deadbat. Pretty depressing times.

Regarding his interviews, it's hard to stay upbeat post match when explaining defeat number 8 out of 9. He can't be harsh with the players either at the minute, as confidence must be low.

Hopefully he'll be more positive ahead of the next game and rather than turning defensive about certain tactical stuff, maybe he could assert us a bit by saying they're always discussing the different tactical options that are available. It's not good if fans are starting to think the management are too stubborn to consider making changes.

I don't expect him to be upbeat, I also don't expect him to just grin and shrug is shoulders to some of the questions. Heard enough of how things are not quite falling for us, fine margins and all that, what is HE doing to change it because shrugging his shoulders will achieve nothing.

Absolute garbage of a performance, still 5 crossing to the one out numbered striker and we know we don't score this way.
The new signings still don't get the organised chaos so bin them or play 442 to accommodate them. Is it it time for the Christmas party, and Billy to go and get the beers yet.....

I don't expect him to be upbeat, I also don't expect him to just grin and shrug is shoulders to some of the questions. Heard enough of how things are not quite falling for us, fine margins and all that, what is HE doing to change it because shrugging his shoulders will achieve nothing.
Are you thinking he should tell what he's going to do tactically, or generally be harsher with the players?

It's hard with interviews as whatever he says he will be criticised when we are losing.

If he slams the players publically at this time not sure that helps but equally if he does not it implies he is happy with what heis seeing. If he says we need to change things tactically that wreaks of someone who feels what he has asked the players are not able to do.

It is again hard to say it but may be he needs to question what he is doing or look at certain things from himself but then that again looks like someone who has lost faith in his own ability.

The one thing I do agree is he a stubborn and prickly so and so and does not like being criticised at all but at the moment he sure my expects it? I don't get the sense he knows or has a plan to turn things around. Not sure doing the same things and playing the same way is going to lead to anything but a meek relegation with a record points low.

He looks a bit lost and clueless at the moment and that is really sad. I still think he is a fantastic manager but at the moment he looks someone who's clueless how to change things. Maybe his lack of managerial experience at the top level is showing up a bit now. I do feel we need to go back to basics skmewhat of being bloody hard to beat. Hell even 2 or 3 0-0s is a base to build on. At the moment not sure what we are.

Shrugging his shoulders tells me he's out of the fight - I would never have believed it , but I think he's psychologically close to the end. I suppose he's bought & coached the players and they never look like winning.

Are you thinking he should tell what he's going to do tactically, or generally be harsher with the players?
Possibly he should be a bit harsher on the players they are not doing what they did last season by a long way, that is not questioning their ability. Also we are sticking with last seasons tactics but we don't have the players to play that system, we have a gaping hole down the left of the defence as we have no one capable of covering JOC. I think we have seen enough and he should at least consider playing a back four and get one of the midfield behind the front two at the moment we are playing back to front but getting no one close to McBurnie. The excuses of we need to be a little better in both boxes is wearing very thin now.

It's hard with interviews as whatever he says he will be criticised when we are losing.

If he slams the players publically at this time not sure that helps but equally if he does not it implies he is happy with what heis seeing. If he says we need to change things tactically that wreaks of someone who feels what he has asked the players are not able to do.

It is again hard to say it but may be he needs to question what he is doing or look at certain things from himself but then that again looks like someone who has lost faith in his own ability.

The one thing I do agree is he a stubborn and prickly so and so and does not like being criticised at all but at the moment he sure my expects it? I don't get the sense he knows or has a plan to turn things around. Not sure doing the same things and playing the same way is going to lead to anything but a meek relegation with a record points low.

He looks a bit lost and clueless at the moment and that is really sad. I still think he is a fantastic manager but at the moment he looks someone who's clueless how to change things. Maybe his lack of managerial experience at the top level is showing up a bit now. I do feel we need to go back to basics skmewhat of being bloody hard to beat. Hell even 2 or 3 0-0s is a base to build on. At the moment not sure what we are.
I agree with most of that but at the moment he is asking the players to play a system they are not capable of. Nothing at all is happening going forward on the left and there is a huge gaping hole going the other way due to JOC being injured, Stevens well below par and Fleck not being right just yet, good to see him back btw

He went on the radio after the disastrous 2-0 defeat at home to Sunderland, a game we dominated but Paul Beesley threw away single handedly in the last 10 minutes, leaving us with 4 points and no wins from 15 games. He was asked at the end of his interview if he had a message for the fans. he said we would not be in the relegation places at the end of the season. We laughed, but he was right. He was a lot more upbeat than Wilder has been.

Thanks DB agree with most of that. What genuinely worries me is that in terms of poor performances we ain't seen nothing yet. For the most part we have been somewhat in games with narrow score lines like today's , players maintaining a good level of effort and some belief to the end. This might be beginning to crack and with no crowd to worry about playing for pride when relegated or as good may not happen. A record low points total might end up becoming another miserable freak indicator of this horrible year in so many ways, another stick to beat long suffering Blades for years to come. Wake me up next season please.

Good spot on McBurnie ticking off his early foul in other games, btw. I had the same thought but you articulated it perfectly on the pod.

A perfect example of what this team is currently. Just do the minimum. Don't put forward too much extra effort to try to improve things.

That second half was pathetic.

Pretty much agree with all your report sadly. I have seen various threads re team v West Brom, change of formation etc but it all seems academic. We are simply not good enough end off . We are not terrible but every other team has something a bit extra than us and this is why the games are all relatively close in terms of score line but the fine margin is always the same way. Yesterday in truth was as comfortable a one nil victory as you will see for a very average West Ham side but one that clearly had better quality than us. Yes we can tinker with certain positions / players but it will make little overall difference really. The summer recruitment is killing us. We needed to buy at least 2 -3 players that would upgrade what we already had and have an immediate impact on the first team. Instead we purchased a number of similar / inferior cover players. We haven't even really added players that give us different options in terms of changing formation (no 10 role , wide midfielders, creative playmaker) so we are pretty much stuck with the formation we have despite missing key elements.

With regards Chris I would be surprised if anything happened but probably not shocked any more. Personally I would stick with him. I fear the damage is already done for this season and we may have to do a Burnley and try and come back better prepared. I can see a situation where us , West Brom and Fulham are cut so far adrift from the rest by January (think Burnley will get their act together eventually) that the relegation places are decided well before the season is over. Hope I am wrong and everything is still possible (and we have to try to keep believing that) but I can only judge by what I am seeing week in week out with my own eyes.

Good spot on McBurnie ticking off his early foul in other games, btw. I had the same thought but you articulated it perfectly on the pod.

A perfect example of what this team is currently. Just do the minimum. Don't put forward too much extra effort to try to improve things.

That second half was pathetic.
Yeah, when he did it a couple of games back it really pissed me off. Half-hearted and pointless barge on a player who was off the ground (so he’d obviously go flying anyway), and for a ball he had no chance of winning. Tick it off an move on. So annoying and pathetic, which is why we remembered and mentioned it.

I would have said no fire in the belly either.

Going 1-0 down and we looked like we had given up and it was only 1-0 ! Few times McBurnie chasing the player you could see he just gave up and stopped. There was one when the ball went back to the goalie really slow pass and if you look he was bang on 50/50 for getting the ball before the keeper got it or at least pressured him. Faster player would have got the ball first.

When we were losing before this season before pre-lockdown we would be throwing the kitchen sink at them for last 15 mins now its just a whimper.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 6/10 – First half made one good save from the shot from Coufal and had a bit of luck as again he pushed into a central position. He did make a few intelligent kick outs on the ground also first half. Second half he saw a few miss his post and they had a few efforts blocked and then the goal sure people will find fault again but he was badly exposed. His kick out was fine as it made half way on his weak foot but no pressure on the ball and it comes back and then no pressure on the shot. It was a hard shot and he got his hand to it but sometimes you can do that and still not be your fault.

Baldock 6.5/10 – Started well with a great run although he needs to go across the keeper with the shot. Then made a few poor decisions on the ball and his crossing was poor. Too anxious to get in and twice gambled and they got away and nearly scored from one such opportunity. Most of our attacks came down this side and at least he was involved and energetic. Quality wise and decision wise though not sure he is offering much when he gets into these attacking positions. I also though they did cause us problems down both sides. One of the few that actually seemed to want it though whilst others heads dropped too soon. He kept running forward and for effort alone may have been our best player as he at least tried to attack and go forward even down the left at times.

Lowe 4.5/10 – Still looks very much a deer in headlights and felt positionally he was all over and gave his man way too much time. Just looks very panicky on and off the ball. He is quite weak too and does not actually look that quick. They caused a few problems down this side early on. Going forward simply not a threat and seems to not know where to run. Second half he actually at least got into the half of the opposition but not sure we saw any quality at all. He is not ready for the Premier League. We would be better playing Osborn here.

Basham 6/10 – Mixed first half. He made a few good interceptions and tackles but a few moments he got forward his crossing was poor on the whole. He also nearly let them in missing intercepting a throw and they had the shot that Ramsdale saved. All action again but he did make errors and not sure why he went back to the keeper on the goal although to be fair he blocked the initial shot on the goal. Not sure we saw anything of him going forward after that and for once also I could not fault him being taken off as we were not seeing anything going forward.

Ampadu 5.5/10 – Thought he showed his pace and covering when he could but then Bowen got away from him near the end of the half. He kept his shape and composure defensively first half but did not see him go over half way at all and with Lowe not a threat and Fleck quiet, meant that side we offered little. Second half he started switching off and a few times they got in when he lost his man. Then seemed to get a knock around the same time he nearly led to a chance for them.

Egan 6.5/10 – Thought he was our best defender first half winning headers and making some good blocks/tackles. Put a great ball through for Baldock and was looking for this diagonal ball more. He kept plugging away and felt he was one of the few defenders who threw his body in the line and at least tried to come forward. On the goal though it’s his man who scores and not sure why he goes across when Basham was there and was out of position. He was actually trying to bring the ball out. I feel he is been one of our better players this season and still not hit the heights of last season.

Fleck 4/10 – Quiet and looked off the pace. Hard one as you have to get him playing to get him up to pace and we need him so we may have to have a few games like this. Rather keep him in and let him get up to speed than the other options who were hardly excelling. Second half not sure I saw him at all and on the goal, he was guilty of letting him run inside him too easily. I thought the midfield were decent the first 10 minutes but after this we did not press, win loose stuff or really get on the ball. We had nothing in this area of the field and indeed have not all season. A lot is being made of the defence or attack but we are not closing down or having enough of the ball.

Norwood 4/10 – Started well and was involved but West Ham started to take control of midfield but after first 10 minutes never saw him really. He did not press the ball and did not break things up and was never on the ball. On the goal he was pathetic as he just did not react or close down. I like him but he looks a shadow of the player we saw last season and looks like he is running in mud.

Berge 5/10 – Really quiet game. Did a few bits of neat and tidy play and one good cross and I suppose we attacked more down this side but too conservative for me. He played one or two decent balls forward second half but too often it was safe and sideways. I have been criticised for doubting him this season but not sure he affects game that much at all and it’s just bits and pieces really and often you do not see him for long spells. I am not sure I say this fantastic talent others do. He is a decent footballer but not impactful or consistent enough. The goal summed him up as he had the chance to go forward but went back and safe and then soon after it went back to the keeper.

McGoldrick 4/10 – Not really in the game for long spells and felt we had little up top in terms of hold up or threat. He tried to get more involved second half and then ended up more in front of the midfield but too often the ball got away from him or he made poor choices. I love Didzy but everything seems too quick for him at the moment and the fact he gets caught constantly offside is a concern also as kills quite a few of our attacks. The moment at the end where he just completely fluffed his cross summed up his game. Another who looks tired and off the pace completely. I used to love watching him play but now he just looks old and slow.

McBurnie 5/10 – Had two efforts first half I suppose and at least got a shot and header on target and the latter was a decent effort. Overall, felt it came back off him too much and he gave it away cheaply. He is painfully weak and slow as it showed at times but he did keep going. Had the one chance second half and maybe he needs to do better but another day it goes in. I have been a big critic of him but he looked the most likely today and not sure he was that great either. Second half we had little to no threat outside that one chance he hit the bar. I thought he did try today and whilst things did not come off, without him we would have had zero threat and he was much better than his partner. Our strikers are really poor though and sadly we have Championship players. He is looking really out of his depth (as is McGoldrick and all our strikers). Wilder may have to try Mousset and Burke and at least we will turn teams more and get the ball up the pitch. At the moment they don’t offer much individually or collectively and the lack of goals for strikers is shambolic really.

Subs –

Brewster 5.5/10 – At least showed something with a neat flick and then a good ball to McBurnie but the game was all a bit stretched so hard to judge him. He did look more interested and involved at least but still made some poor decisions when he had it too fired two balls straight at our players for no reason whatsoever.

Robinson 5/10 – Came on and was ok but at this point we had no real shape and it was all a bit chaotic and not in a good way. Another player who is painfully one footed though. He did not even get chance to use his throw.

Lundstram – Gave it away 2 or 3 times and just stopped running twice as they ran away. Looked disinterested to me but maybe that is harsh. I am not sure I would have him around if we keep losing and if we get really cut adrift and look like we are down then he needs to be moved on in January somehow even if he is allowed to leave for his pre contract club as he is not an asset at the moment.

Manager Wilder 4/10 – It’s been a pitiful season. We are now going from being poor and desperate to a bit of a laughing stock and on course to be the worst Premier League team ever never mind just getting relegated. Today we played ok for 10 minutes again and then the opponent came onto us and had more control of the ball and game. Chance wise it was even first half and 0-0 was about right. I thought once again the second half was really poor again and we looked a bit of a mess. Even before the goal I thought that we ceded possession and territory and you sensed they may get one if they had a chance. We did not really have a proper go at all after that. Outside the McBurnie chance did we really apply any concerted pressure and we looked a bit of a ragged mess after the game.

Wilder said we have to keep going but it will be hard as the confidence keeps sapping away. I did agree when he said we are too safe and looked scared. He talked about quality but he has had the chance and spent 50 million on Ramsdale, Brewster and the two wing backs and non are really standing out sadly so he has to take some responsibility. He seems almost powerless to turn things around and it reaches a point where the players just tune managers out. Baldock’s words seemed to suggest that is not the case but if you lose every week – then it is inevitable that questions get asked over what you can change. I would be deeply saddened and angry if he did leave personally but it is not the same Wilder as last season. He now at the point where in terms of being the next next thing and on everybody’s lips lasts season, he is now being questioned as a bit of a one season wonder at this level as are we.

It was interesting to hear on Sky Sports News the presenter say the pressure is growing on Chris Wilder. I do not think we should or will sack him as it would be ridiculous but he is now 3-1 and 7-2 with some markets and out on his own on some ahead of Bilic. If we keep losing it will be interesting to see what the owner does around Xmas time. I would be very disappointed if he did sack him and still think I could see if we are still in this position after Xmas, that Wilder’s pride would be such he may even walk away. I hope I am wrong but I see little fight in him like he used to show. As I say I can see the scenario around Xmas/Jan if we lost another 4 or 5 on the bounce where he will just offer his resignation and I think the Prince would accept. I hope I am wrong but he won’t sit here and watch us lose another 8 or 9 on the bounce. If we fail to get a result in the next set up to Xmas then I would not be shocked if with us pretty much down that he would just walk away. It is unthinkable to go back to last March and think this is possible but football can be ruthless. I am not sure any new manager would change things by the way but just the way I think it may go.

West Ham – Moyes gets a lot of criticism but he kept them up last year even though they were still not much better when he went in and signed a few more players to add to the squad and they have started this year much better.

I think they have made some odd signings that have not always paid off but have gone to the Championship and in Bowen and Benrahma probably have bought more wisely than us. I still think old stagers like Noble are important and Antonio is a very underrated forward who works so hard and I would love at United. Rice is maybe not quite the polished England player many see but is useful in he can play both defence and midfield and is a steady player if not someone who really stands out I feel.

The start they have had and the players they possess means they will be away from the bottom but mid table is a push I reckon. Probably helps them they are not playing in front of crowds as the London Stadium became quite negative for them in terms of fans moaning and the lack of atmosphere generally. Not sure what the stats are on games in the last year or so with and without crowds there but they seem to be doing better to me.

Today, not sure they were great and could have been behind early but then improved and I felt they were the better side for a large chunk of the first half. Second half they played further up the field, upped the tempo and pressed us. They got a goal and then saw it out with only one scare – indeed they had better chances after they scored than we did. In that way it was a classic away performance and one that saw them pick up the win they would argue they just about deserved for possession and big chances. Another day it’s a draw or they could even miss out and lose but Moyes seems to have given them a steel they did not have last year.

Opponent Man of the Match – Rice I thought was excellent and the best midfield on the pitch and they gave the man of the match to a centre back but Masuaku was excellent and a constant threat with his running so will give it to him.

Opponent Weak link – Lot of average performances. I think Balbuena made a few mistakes as he did in a game v us last season but we did not capitalise. Cresswell is decent going forward but we did not get at him as a centre back. Outside of the goal Haller did little and missed a sitter.

Referee/Officials/VAR – Martin Atkinson. Excellent. Let the game flow early and this set the precedent for a game that was not stop start. We had no controversial decisions all game and not one booking which is damning on us as even 1-0 down we never put a tackle in all 2nd half indeed all game.

Just as a wider point, it has been another weekend of controversial decisions but VAR almost trying to justify their existence and getting involved for no reason. We are still having subjective decisions decided by others or influenced by others.

Thought West Brom got completely stiffed twice yesterday and the fact Match of the Day did not even mention a clear foul on Gallagher in the build-up was startling. I feel that the refs and VAR are getting involved too much. The whole point is as Rio Ferdinand said yesterday, they are to eliminate real howlers. Now we seem to have refs looking again or VAR changing things that are not clear errors. It stops the game and is still very much an opinion-based decision. The penalties for West Brom/Villa not given yesterday still boiled down to one opinion. If the ref gave them why do they need to get involved. It also made me laugh how they slow things down at certain points to show a bit of a touch on the ball (I thought the Villa man got hacked even though there was a touch on the ball and it was theatrical yesterday) to suit the VAR’s agenda and anything they believe. It is becoming depressing. The only good thing if we go down is not having to deal with this nonsense every week.

Crowd/Atmosphere/Pundits – We even heard Blowing Bubbles more than the GCB song. That summed it up for us. Even the fake crowd we are losing the battles and that was even at 0-0! I thought the pundits and commentators were quite kind on us. I felt they could have been a lot more critical for our second half performance.

A good assessment DB although very depressing! I agree with most of your report so i will make my comments below.

I do wish fans would get of the back of Ramsdale, he has different strengths and weakness' than Henderson by comparison but is still a very good keeper that will only get better.

I hate knocking players but i have said so many times McBurnie is not a striker, I still think he could fill in behind a front two effectively replacing Didsy with Fleck along side him and he did actually take up that position that in the second half yesterday.

We look bereft of skill, pace, tactical know how and creativity, where we go from here is anybody's guess, I really don't want us to go down it be a big step backwards and the merry-go-round of players and mangers will ensue, we will effectively go back six years.

Can't see us beating West Brom', they have some descent attacking players and will score - and we won't!!

Back
Top Bottom