United 0 Southampton 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Report below…..and brief Podcast review here too

The Blades suffered back to back home defeats (only the second time in their Premier League history) as they lost by a single goal to Southampton at Bramall Lane. It was a game where decisions went against United with a goal ruled out for offside on the VAR system and club captain Billy Sharp sent off for a late tackle at the end of the game to compound a bad day.

United did have chances in the game but also gave opportunities away in an end to end contest. It could have gone either way but the away side were ruthless to score an excellent individual goal after an error and then United missed opportunities at the death to take a point.

United made changes with Fleck and McGoldrick in for Freeman and Robinson. Southampton were without Nathan Redmond but former Blade Che Adams started.

The game began with the visitors seeing more of the ball and they forced an early corner but they did not create much other than a tame header Henderson fielded. United came out and won a corner of their own but this came to nothing. The game was quite even but the away side were looking more controlled with the ball and Romeu was key to many of their moves.

From a swift attack, the ball fell for Adams who hit a crunching shot that hit the post. United cleared and moments later had an even better chance as McBurnie played in McGoldrick but one on one he hit Gunn when he should have scored. Fleck had two chances with a header wide and then an angled shot off target before Hojberg shot wide at the other end. United had struggled to keep the ball and the Saints then went down the right and the deep cross was headed down and seemingly goalwards by Adams but Henderson made a great save with the ball possibly coming off the post as he saved. It was a real let off for United.

The next spell saw United keep it better but they could not create any clear chances despite Norwood’s superb diagonal balls nearly putting Baldock in twice. The half time whistle came after O’Connell headed over from a corner.

United needed to play higher up the field and did this in the second half with McGoldrick coming deeper and linking well with Fleck twice. Vestergaard smashed into Baldock and United had a free kick. Norwood put it over, Egan seemed to miss it or just help it on and McBurnie put the ball in. The goal was given but eventually after a delay the VAR system adjudged that McBurnie was offside and for the first time this season a significant moment went against the Blades with the new system.

After this United lost their shape somewhat and Adams shot at Henderson and Boufal went on a run before shooting over. Sharp came on for McBurnie but only moments later the deadlock was broken. Norwood telegraphed a ball to Lundstram and DJENPO seized on it and broke away. Norwood and O’Connell tried to bring him down but he went past both of them and the final man Egan before slotting expertly in the corner. A great goal but really poor defending from the initial pass and the inability to stop the player either by fair or legal means.

Fleck shot wide as United tried to get back in the game but Mousset came on for Lundstram. He instantly got involved having a shot blocked for a corner before Fleck had a great chance blocked and then Gunn saved from McGoldrick. Robinson then came on for Basham as United really went for it. Sharp chased down a Southampton player but his tackled was late and high and he was given a straight red by Mason. This disrupted United and Southampton controlled the final stages. Six minutes of stoppage time were put up and even though Henderson went forward on two set plays, United did not create a further chance and slipped to the disappointing loss.

United – It was a good game. We had chances. They had chances. Things did not go for us. However, I have said I do not think we had control of the game and a number of people have jumped on that but for a home side; we gave the ball away so much and they cut through us too many times. We maybe could have a point on another day but we were not good enough where it mattered. That is what this league is all about and as Wilder says we have to ‘wise up’ or will see many days like this at this level.

Wilder takes about 17 chances but 3 or 4 of those were at the death when we were really going for the salvage job. They had far more shots on target and the better chances over the game really hitting the post twice. I cannot recall more than the one brilliant McGoldrick chance in the first half up to the point they scored- taking away the goal disallowed and then second half they were blocks or off target not clear sitters.

We huffed and puffed first half but I felt the better play and chances came from them really – they controlled large swathes of midfield. Cannot agree with Wilder and other fans who said we were the better side first half. Felt they edged it on play, composure and overall opportunities. 2nd half we started well and the disallowed goal did not help but we then seemed to lose our way. They scored a good goal but was a give away from us and poor attempts from 2 or 3 to stop the man getting in a shooting space. After this we threw men forward and did have chances but it was all a bit desperate. McGoldrick missed another one and then Fleck had one blocked but the keeper did not really have a save to make. I cannot recall many guilt edged chances at all. Then Sharp gets sent off and that was it really.

It was not a particularly one-sided game for either side and both teams had chances but I was disappointed that against one of the weaker sides at this level, that technique and composure they edged it I thought. I am not sure we managed many great moves of note. There were more balls to the channels and then get on knock downs and we did not really play through the thirds very much at all. It was all a bit hit and hope save for a couple of Norwood tremendous diagonals that Baldock fluffed again when in great positions. United were not awful but it just seemed a bit last ditch and ragged at times and we lacked shape and composure. Southampton had maybe the best 3 players on the field in Romeu, Hojberg and Ward Prowse. They seemed to have a lot of control of the ball for an away side and in midfield we never really kept it secure enough. Worrying a team like them can counter attack and go through us pretty routinely.

They played a high press and our flat three means we cannot really move further up the field. It took us ages to get up the field where as they did it quicker with more mobile player. We went too long for me and it is concerning a team like this ran through us quite a bit. Most of our chances came from balls out wide and knock downs (save for the one Didsy chance). We are not working the ball through teams like we did last season. This is down to the level we are at of course but we also seem to have gone away from trying to play through teams. We are playing a lot of percentage stuff and long diagonal balls. If teams press us, we just are asking Norwood to hit those diagonal balls. Outside of that a couple of Baldock overloads not sure where we are creating much really.

I will agree it is a game of slim margins and McGoldrick takes the chance and we lead and it becomes different but I thought that they pressed us higher and more aggressively than the other way round. I thought McBurnie was ineffectual and that the midfield was very careless in keeping the ball. It was not until the final stages until the wing backs got up the field. We did ok at times but our lack of pace individually and collectively makes it difficult for us to be secure at the back or create tons the other way.

As I say I may get criticised but if we play like that most weeks at this level we will go down. We lacked quality where it mattered for me and snatched at things in key areas both with passing and shooting. It was very basketball and if we don’t take chances, we are always there for the taking. It is how we play and risk and reward but if we are not good enough in the two boxes and don’t keep hold of the ball then we will lose most games.

I felt the away team did just enough to win the game just for composure and keeping a good shape and discipline for an away side. We have to start games better as that is 5 games now and we have been second best in my opinion first half for many of them.

It’s not all doom and gloom and there have been some strange results such as the Norwich result v Man City which is certainly is eye opening. However, I felt today was a big day. If we had won it would have been a great start, a draw and it is ok but now with two very tough games coming up we could be in the bottom three in a few weeks and it looks a poor start. It was really important we did not get beat today. We said to make the Lane a fortress but we have lost 2/3 at home already and not played any of the so called big 6 down here which is disappointing. We need to be careful with the games coming up we don’t go into the next break with say 3 losses as we would then be entrenched in the bottom three and it becomes a scrap already.

Ratings:

Henderson 7.5/10 – Made a superb point blank save from Adams. He made a few other regulation saves and his overall play today was good. No chance on the goal or with the one that hit the post. I felt he was exposed quite a bit today when they came forward as we were a bit gung ho. At the end I am unsure why he was not taking the set plays and us putting men in the box rather than him go up.

Baldock 7/10 – Thought he played ok again in general play but he did not do enough with a few great balls that came to his feet from Norwood and his touch was poor or he made the wrong decision. Did make great runs to get here. He kept going 2nd half and as with Leicester felt he was one of the stronger players from an attacking sense and a lot of attacks came from him being the outlet down that side.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Steady defensively but did not see as much from him in an attacking sense. Had a couple of runs forward put he never really got many balls over when he got in advanced positions. They kept him back quite a lot and he was not able to get up the field as they pressed us.

Basham 6/10 – Commited as always and a few good tackles, interceptions but once again too many mistakes with the ball and nearly led to chances as they broke. He cannot be so loose with the ball as this level. He will always give 100% but not sure he is getting as advanced at this level (understandably) and has been playing more of a defender than an attacking player – more orthodox – so far this season.

O’Connell 6.5/10 – He was ok and won headers and tackles but they also had a few chances when the defence did not react. They had a few flicked headers and balls came across that we were slow to react to. Did not get forward very much at all and they pressed him on the ball so I only recall one or maybe two surges. The lad on the goal ran past him too easily.

Egan 6/10 – Lost Adams twice; once he mistimed his shot and another he headed against the post. He was ok in general play but cannot switch off like that and needs to not allow clear chances. He was pressed and had to go long a bit or give it up under pressure which saw us become a bit rushed. Not sure why he was not thrown up at the end, even with ten men surely, we needed some physicality at the top of the field? Needed to do more on the goal also; along with others.

Norwood 6/10 – Made 3 or 4 delightful balls first half and showed his touch and vision. He was involved in our better moves. 2nd half I felt he got ran past time after time and the three midfielders showed the real weakness in their game when quick, mobile midfielders run through us and they cannot run back or keep up with them. He gave it away on the goal with a bad mistake and then could not even foul him. Put a good ball in for the disallowed goal but not sure we saw many balls 2nd half that dissected their defence outside of this. He looked weak as they attacked and just ran past him and we had a big gap in this area.

Lundstram 5.5/10 – Thought he had his poorest game of the season. He was not awful by any stretch but looked leggy and slow from the hour mark. He was steady in the first half and kept it simple when he had the ball. However, I felt we sat off and did not press and it was too easy for the visitors’ midfield. He, along with others did not get enough loose balls and when he had it was not secure enough with it. 2nd half he was sloppy and he gave the ball away a lot and was quite static when they attacked.

Fleck 7.5/10 – Thought along with Henderson and Baldock he was one of our stand outs. He was busy, linked with others and had two or three shots at goal. He got on it and probed and carried it well. He drove when he could. I am not sure he created too much but I just felt he was able to penetrate more than any of the rest of the team. He is the only player until Mousset came on (maybe Stevens a bit too) who will drive at players and commit men. The rest lack pace and that ability to do that. Not saying they are bad players but it is all behind the opposition.

McGoldrick 5/10 – His overall play at times was very good as he came deep, linked and showed his good touches on the ball but he missed one excellent chance and one very good one and as good as his link play is, he cannot miss chances like he had done at this level so far. He should have scored at least 3 goals this season but has missed them all. We cannot afford at this level to miss the chances he is so he may have to take a seat sadly as much as I love him.

McBurnie 5/10 – I thought he was great in the first few sub games but he has started the last two and been ineffective for me. He has been subbed on the hour in both games. That says it all really about his lack of impact. He made McGoldrick’s chance with a good ball but other than that he was second to the ball, lost headers, did not hold it up and not sure he pressed in the same way their forwards did. We paid an awful lot of money for him and he has to contribute more than that as if he is not a goal threat – he did not have any opportunities or look like having chance on goal – then he has to work hard and hold the ball up. Not sure he did either that well.

Subs –

Sharp – Got down the right channel and got two great crosses in and was looking lively but then commits a silly, late lunge. May have been exuberance with not playing and us being behind but that killed any chance we had of getting back into the game and now he is out until after the next international break I believe – so nearly a month. It looked poor at the time and you can see why he gave him a red sadly.

McBurnie 7.5/10 – Really good. He held it up and made sure that the ball stayed in their last third. He got it, played it wide and then got in the box and won numerous headers. He scored a great headed goal and actually had a few other attempts too. He has a decent first touch and makes sure we keep the ball. He has good movement when the ball comes into the box and you can see why he has scored a lot of goals. Will surely now start next week.

Mousset – Looked lively. Won a corner with a shot on the angle, held it up and showed pace and running. Of all the strikers we have seen so far, albeit in limited time, he looks the best of the lot this season in terms of quality and impact. Might be harder if he starts a game but not sure the two that started today did enough to say that he should not start at Everton.

Robinson – Came on very late as we threw men forward but the Sharp red kind of stopped any flow. He was constantly offside which was poor to say he was not on very long. Thought it was very harsh he was left out after an excellent 2nd half at Chelsea. Maybe he was not fully fit after his knock with Ireland but not sure why he played then.

Manager Wilder 5.5/10 – Bit surprised he changed the team and I would have started Robinson. Freeman was not that effective at Chelsea though so can kind of see why Fleck played. I felt once again we started badly and did not control the possession, tempo or get high enough the field. It was all a bit scattergun. We did get better towards the end of the half and started the 2nd half well but after the non-goal and the goal we lost all kind of shape. The subs all seemed a bit desperate, not in terms of making them but we had no kind of shape or cohesion. Not sure whether it is personnel, mentality or shape but we need to control games better than that, especially against a side reckoned to be a similar ilk to us, at home.

Southampton – Better than I thought they would be. They missed maybe their best player in Redmond and still controlled large spells of the game. They had clear chances in both halfs and maybe had a few let off the other way but the keeper only had maybe one really good save to make. They scored a good goal and then defended well with a bit of luck to see it out. They will see it as a perfect away day. I thought that ability wise and technique on the ball they were better than maybe I anticipated. We take about Norwood and some of our players but the lad

Opponent Man of the Match – The BBC report gave it Hojberg who was good but I felt Romeu was superb and ran the game. Good on and off the ball but had more mobility than our three. Ward Prowse technically showed his ability also when he got on it. Gunn made one good save in the first half. Djenpo of course scored a great winning goal and had a few penetrative runs. Adams hit a post and Henderson then denied him but was quite other than this.

Opponent Weaklink – Not sure they had anyone that poor. They were just workmanlike but the midfield were the stand outs. Like us they gave it away a bit and I felt Cedric and Benarek were sloppy. Also, Boufal was wasteful too at times. Thought the long haired lad Vestergaard won a lot of headers but also made some mistakes and gave a shocking foul away on Baldock.

Referee/Officials/VAR – As soon as the goal went in, I did not celebrate as I sensed it was tight. I did not think McBurnie was off but thought Egan was when he touched it on – it seems that McBurnie may have been off anyway regardless if Egan touched it. It is the first time we have fell foul to it but it was not a massively controversial one and it seems they got it right. The hand ball seemed to be a good shout but they don’t like overruling the referees on these. It is only the offsides they seem to be going with overturning really. The rest they seem to be going with the ref. I have not seen it back but seemed like we could have got it. The red card seemed more clear cut despite many United fans protesting and calling it a disgrace. It was reckless and stupid and seemed fairly obvious. Everyone booed the ref off Lee Mason but what did he actually get wrong? There was a few either way. He stopped play when they did not really have an injury but then he did the same when McBurnie went down. The handball was a tough one to give in real time. Not sure many huge decisions went wrong. It all seemed a bit desperate from our crowd. I recall non fouls on Stevens and McGoldrick not being given and they were not fouls. The VAR was not decided by him on both the penalty and the offside. It all smacked as a bit desperate to me. If anything, I felt he could have been harsher on our players. McGoldrick got away with an elbow and Norwood and Fleck both cynically tried to chop their players down. I will get criticised for saying it but I thought that the defeat was nothing to do with the officials.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – Nearly 31,000 – with a full away support, it was the best crowd of the season. Was noisy at times as the game became end to end and with the controversial moments; it ramped up 2nd half. I felt the fans kept behind the side but it became a bit frustrating when things did not go for us. It was a good atmosphere though and the away fans made a fair bit of noise too. Saw a bit of bother as we walked away just off John Street so not sure what happened but there was some definite fighting. Worryingly that we talked about making the Lane such an intimidating place though and we have now lost two in a row. We did not do that even the last time we when we got relegated.

Ratings:

Henderson 7.5/10 – Made a superb point blank save from Adams. He made a few other regulation saves and his overall play today was good. No chance on the goal or with the one that hit the post. I felt he was exposed quite a bit today when they came forward as we were a bit gung ho. At the end I am unsure why he was not taking the set plays and us putting men in the box rather than him go up.

Baldock 7/10 – Thought he played ok again in general play but he did not do enough with a few great balls that came to his feet from Norwood and his touch was poor or he made the wrong decision. Did make great runs to get here. He kept going 2nd half and as with Leicester felt he was one of the stronger players from an attacking sense and a lot of attacks came from him being the outlet down that side.

Stevens 6.5/10 – Steady defensively but did not see as much from him in an attacking sense. Had a couple of runs forward put he never really got many balls over when he got in advanced positions. They kept him back quite a lot and he was not able to get up the field as they pressed us.

Basham 6/10 – Commited as always and a few good tackles, interceptions but once again too many mistakes with the ball and nearly led to chances as they broke. He cannot be so loose with the ball as this level. He will always give 100% but not sure he is getting as advanced at this level (understandably) and has been playing more of a defender than an attacking player – more orthodox – so far this season.

O’Connell 6.5/10 – He was ok and won headers and tackles but they also had a few chances when the defence did not react. They had a few flicked headers and balls came across that we were slow to react to. Did not get forward very much at all and they pressed him on the ball so I only recall one or maybe two surges. The lad on the goal ran past him too easily.

Egan 6/10 – Lost Adams twice; once he mistimed his shot and another he headed against the post. He was ok in general play but cannot switch off like that and needs to not allow clear chances. He was pressed and had to go long a bit or give it up under pressure which saw us become a bit rushed. Not sure why he was not thrown up at the end, even with ten men surely, we needed some physicality at the top of the field? Needed to do more on the goal also; along with others.

Norwood 6/10 – Made 3 or 4 delightful balls first half and showed his touch and vision. He was involved in our better moves. 2nd half I felt he got ran past time after time and the three midfielders showed the real weakness in their game when quick, mobile midfielders run through us and they cannot run back or keep up with them. He gave it away on the goal with a bad mistake and then could not even foul him. Put a good ball in for the disallowed goal but not sure we saw many balls 2nd half that dissected their defence outside of this. He looked weak as they attacked and just ran past him and we had a big gap in this area.

Lundstram 5.5/10 – Thought he had his poorest game of the season. He was not awful by any stretch but looked leggy and slow from the hour mark. He was steady in the first half and kept it simple when he had the ball. However, I felt we sat off and did not press and it was too easy for the visitors’ midfield. He, along with others did not get enough loose balls and when he had it was not secure enough with it. 2nd half he was sloppy and he gave the ball away a lot and was quite static when they attacked.

Fleck 7.5/10 – Thought along with Henderson and Baldock he was one of our stand outs. He was busy, linked with others and had two or three shots at goal. He got on it and probed and carried it well. He drove when he could. I am not sure he created too much but I just felt he was able to penetrate more than any of the rest of the team. He is the only player until Mousset came on (maybe Stevens a bit too) who will drive at players and commit men. The rest lack pace and that ability to do that. Not saying they are bad players but it is all behind the opposition.

McGoldrick 5/10 – His overall play at times was very good as he came deep, linked and showed his good touches on the ball but he missed one excellent chance and one very good one and as good as his link play is, he cannot miss chances like he had done at this level so far. He should have scored at least 3 goals this season but has missed them all. We cannot afford at this level to miss the chances he is so he may have to take a seat sadly as much as I love him.

McBurnie 5/10 – I thought he was great in the first few sub games but he has started the last two and been ineffective for me. He has been subbed on the hour in both games. That says it all really about his lack of impact. He made McGoldrick’s chance with a good ball but other than that he was second to the ball, lost headers, did not hold it up and not sure he pressed in the same way their forwards did. We paid an awful lot of money for him and he has to contribute more than that as if he is not a goal threat – he did not have any opportunities or look like having chance on goal – then he has to work hard and hold the ball up. Not sure he did either that well.

Subs –

Sharp – Got down the right channel and got two great crosses in and was looking lively but then commits a silly, late lunge. May have been exuberance with not playing and us being behind but that killed any chance we had of getting back into the game and now he is out until after the next international break I believe – so nearly a month. It looked poor at the time and you can see why he gave him a red sadly.

McBurnie 7.5/10 – Really good. He held it up and made sure that the ball stayed in their last third. He got it, played it wide and then got in the box and won numerous headers. He scored a great headed goal and actually had a few other attempts too. He has a decent first touch and makes sure we keep the ball. He has good movement when the ball comes into the box and you can see why he has scored a lot of goals. Will surely now start next week.

Mousset – Looked lively. Won a corner with a shot on the angle, held it up and showed pace and running. Of all the strikers we have seen so far, albeit in limited time, he looks the best of the lot this season in terms of quality and impact. Might be harder if he starts a game but not sure the two that started today did enough to say that he should not start at Everton.

Robinson – Came on very late as we threw men forward but the Sharp red kind of stopped any flow. He was constantly offside which was poor to say he was not on very long. Thought it was very harsh he was left out after an excellent 2nd half at Chelsea. Maybe he was not fully fit after his knock with Ireland but not sure why he played then.

Manager Wilder 5.5/10 – Bit surprised he changed the team and I would have started Robinson. Freeman was not that effective at Chelsea though so can kind of see why Fleck played. I felt once again we started badly and did not control the possession, tempo or get high enough the field. It was all a bit scattergun. We did get better towards the end of the half and started the 2nd half well but after the non-goal and the goal we lost all kind of shape. The subs all seemed a bit desperate, not in terms of making them but we had no kind of shape or cohesion. Not sure whether it is personnel, mentality or shape but we need to control games better than that, especially against a side reckoned to be a similar ilk to us, at home.

Southampton – Better than I thought they would be. They missed maybe their best player in Redmond and still controlled large spells of the game. They had clear chances in both halfs and maybe had a few let off the other way but the keeper only had maybe one really good save to make. They scored a good goal and then defended well with a bit of luck to see it out. They will see it as a perfect away day. I thought that ability wise and technique on the ball they were better than maybe I anticipated. We take about Norwood and some of our players but the lad

Opponent Man of the Match – The BBC report gave it Hojberg who was good but I felt Romeu was superb and ran the game. Good on and off the ball but had more mobility than our three. Ward Prowse technically showed his ability also when he got on it. Gunn made one good save in the first half. Djenpo of course scored a great winning goal and had a few penetrative runs. Adams hit a post and Henderson then denied him but was quite other than this.

Opponent Weaklink – Not sure they had anyone that poor. They were just workmanlike but the midfield were the stand outs. Like us they gave it away a bit and I felt Cedric and Benarek were sloppy. Also, Boufal was wasteful too at times. Thought the long haired lad Vestergaard won a lot of headers but also made some mistakes and gave a shocking foul away on Baldock.

Referee/Officials/VAR – As soon as the goal went in, I did not celebrate as I sensed it was tight. I did not think McBurnie was off but thought Egan was when he touched it on – it seems that McBurnie may have been off anyway regardless if Egan touched it. It is the first time we have fell foul to it but it was not a massively controversial one and it seems they got it right. The hand ball seemed to be a good shout but they don’t like overruling the referees on these. It is only the offsides they seem to be going with overturning really. The rest they seem to be going with the ref. I have not seen it back but seemed like we could have got it. The red card seemed more clear cut despite many United fans protesting and calling it a disgrace. It was reckless and stupid and seemed fairly obvious. Everyone booed the ref off Lee Mason but what did he actually get wrong? There was a few either way. He stopped play when they did not really have an injury but then he did the same when McBurnie went down. The handball was a tough one to give in real time. Not sure many huge decisions went wrong. It all seemed a bit desperate from our crowd. I recall non fouls on Stevens and McGoldrick not being given and they were not fouls. The VAR was not decided by him on both the penalty and the offside. It all smacked as a bit desperate to me. If anything, I felt he could have been harsher on our players. McGoldrick got away with an elbow and Norwood and Fleck both cynically tried to chop their players down. I will get criticised for saying it but I thought that the defeat was nothing to do with the officials.

Crowd/Atmosphere etc – Nearly 31,000 – with a full away support, it was the best crowd of the season. Was noisy at times as the game became end to end and with the controversial moments; it ramped up 2nd half. I felt the fans kept behind the side but it became a bit frustrating when things did not go for us. It was a good atmosphere though and the away fans made a fair bit of noise too. Saw a bit of bother as we walked away just off John Street so not sure what happened but there was some definite fighting. Worryingly that we talked about making the Lane such an intimidating place though and we have now lost two in a row. We did not do that even the last time we when we got relegated.

So.

In 3 starts, a 4 and 2 5s.

Just so as I know 😉.

Great work btw. Detailed, beyond anything else on this forum. We won’t always agree, how can you, but always there or thereabouts.

In my opinion.

UTB

Thanks Deadbat, always a good read but Lundstrum wasn't that bad, and to mark Goldie and McBurnie the same !, there was only one of those players performing in the first half and it wasn't the latter. Hendo for me pulled off one of the best saves I have witnessed in 50 years of attending the Lane, world class. Had their no 10 been playing for us we would have possible won the game.

Pretty much exactly how I saw it Deadbat . The handball was never going to be given with the stupid new rule.

Cheers Deadbat , seems we lack the quality to survive , given that survival will depend on home form + winning 6-pointers , especially at home. Storm clouds gathering , Billy out - we need to get a settled strike force who can develop an understanding - don't know what can be done about Didsy's finishing !

??

Its all such very early days to even think about assessing the capabilities of the new players and their potential value to the club.

Performance ratings matter but not as much as our manager getting to know his best side and new players settling in and forming relationships with established players.

It all takes time and there are 33 games to go.

Although we were always in the game we were not quite good enough in any department apart from goal keeper. At times we were really sloppy giving the ball away which in the end gave them their winner (heavy shades of the Bristol city winner last season) I don't think any of our defenders looked like they could tackle a hot dinner today. Service to the front two was abysmal today no wonder they looked poor in the final third McBurnie made the best chance we had all game which McGoldrick went on to miss.
You can't really miss golden chances then defend poorly in the Championship never mind this league, despite having on paper the easiest start of the promoted clubs we are slipping down the table and need to improve fast otherwise it will be a long and stressful season.

Completely agree with your assessment of the game. That's pretty much how I saw it

Thanks DB. Technically we weren’t at it today, to much passing backwards, and fannying about,
Not enough creativity in midfield, nothing much upfront, and even looking vulnerable at the back,
Let’s hope it was just an off day

Cheers, as ever DB. Agree with a lot of it. A few thoughts to add.

Was probably Lundstram’s poorest game this season. It was obviously Norwood’s error, but I also felt Lunny needs to be reacting quicker and coming towards the ball. He made at least two similarly poor passes that couldn’t have led to Southampton goals. I think he did his job, though, and worked hard and this allowed Baldock to get forward a lot.

Fleck looked decent on the ball, and had a couple of nice driving runs, but at the same time, very little came down the left. Maybe he wasn’t offering the same discipline as Lunny which made it harder for us to attack down that side. I dunno.

McBurnie took the “goal” chance very well. It’s encouraging that he looks like a striker who will more often than not convert chances. At the same time, I can see why he came off; I thought McGoldrick was very good when he was playing more deeply.

I’m down about the result, and our “openness” in this game was a bit worrying, but thought we played OK, and it was an exciting game with two teams going for a win.

We paid an awful lot of money for him and he has to contribute more than that as if he is not a goal threat – he did not have any opportunities or look like having chance on goal

bit harsh, he had one chance and buried it. Unfortunate it was disallowed.

I'll agree, he's not the most technically gifted player. But he's had 2 good chances in the Prem (and one half chance vs Bournemouth that deflected to Sharp) so far and scored them both.

If he gets a chance, I'm confident he'll take it and that's what we need. Even if he does naff all for the rest of the match, as long as he sticks it in when he gets the chance then that's good enough, and so far, he's proved that he is capable of doing that.

Although we were always in the game we were not quite good enough in any department apart from goal keeper. At times we were really sloppy giving the ball away which in the end gave them their winner (heavy shades of the Bristol city winner last season) I don't think any of our defenders looked like they could tackle a hot dinner today. Service to the front two was abysmal today no wonder they looked poor in the final third McBurnie made the best chance we had all game which McGoldrick went on to miss.
You can't really miss golden chances then defend poorly in the Championship never mind this league, despite having on paper the easiest start of the promoted clubs we are slipping down the table and need to improve fast otherwise it will be a long and stressful season.

I agree. Not signing a defender with premier league experience was a mistake. We need someone there who has played at this level (Jags I think is past it). Personally, I'd have liked to have seen us splash the cash for Calum Chambers. He's a very good player been wasted at Arsenal.

Good report as always. Didn't take our chances up front and kept giving the ball away in midfield. Need to iron out these two issues because you are spot on. If we play like that we will go down!

Report spot on, we're up for some big tests next 3 games.

No disagreement from me think you've got your assessment spot on. Flat midfield three 3-5-1-1 will not win us enough games at Home to stay up. A high press stops us playing with that formation. We can't get our centre backs and wing backs up the pitch and at times are playing with a back five. Mcg is more of a natural number 10 but the formation means he has to come even deeper to pick up the ball isolating Mcburnie on his own up front.

We simply don't have control of the midfield playing this way and when we do have the ball we don't have an out ball to a number 10 to get us up the pitch quick.

Looking at the three Home games so far it is only when we have changed the formation that we have looked better. Against Palace the same three that started yesterday in the middle were getting no where until Fleck got injured and Freeman came on and we played higher up the pitch. Against Leicester we brought on two goal scoring forwards again got up the pitch and looked the better team at 1-1 until a worldy did us. Yesterday Sharp comes on and begins to get behind players as they have two forwards to contend with until he unfortunately gets himself sent off.

Away against Bournemouth and Chelsea we change formation second half and are a different team.

The current midfield three have a soft underbelly as yesterdays goal shows. They picked up very few second balls were outdone for pace and by passed very easily by quick first time passing. If you don't have control of the ball you don't win the game. Time IMO to consider a change in personnel and formation in the middle if we want to win at Home.

I was hoping we would show the Premiership Tuftyball 3-4-1-2. If there was a game yesterday where it should have been unveiled from the off it was yesterday.

Just watched back on MOTD. McGoldricks chance not as easy as it first looked and the keeper does well. Still should expect to score but I have seen top strikers miss similar. Sharp sending off could have been a yellow as although foot was off the ground studs were not showing. Still a silly challenge though and can have no complaints. No issue with VAR frustrating as it is. Not much between the teams but they controlled the game better when they had the ball. Should have got something out of the game but we need to be less careless when we have possession. Fleck MOTM for me back to his old standards yesterday and was prepared to carry the ball and put them on the back foot. Pressure on to get something next week now but Everton can be very good at home. Probably about where we could have expected to be at this stage.

I thought had McB's goal stood, we would have gone on to win, and although an even game it gave them a new lease of life... They were a lot better than I thought they would be to be fair. . Great individual goal for them, and that save from Hendo, looked a certain goal, brilliant save.
We didn't make the most of our opportunities... McG has got to bury chances like that.. It's a shame as the rest of his game was class...We also got in good positions in wide areas, in the channels, but didn't make the most of them.

I normally see the game in a very similar light to you Deadbat but think you are being unreasonably harsh about us this time.

On the balance of play we should have come away with at least a draw and potentially a win. McG had enough chances to win 3 games and took not one. We had a blatant penalty refused by VAR. Their only goal came from another individual error followed by 3 or 4 poor / non existent challenges.

We could and should have come in at half time 1 or 2 up given the clear chances that we created.

How you can think that Mason had a good game is beyond me. 2 of the 3 major decisions in the game were incorrectly given against us. He failed to understand the basics of gamesmanship and awarded free kicks continuously for incidents where he should have been waving play on or booking their players for diving. The linesman on John Street was just as bad, giving foals continuously to their wingers when they decided to slam the brakes on, feel minimal contact and then fall to the ground in good crossing positions. The officials need to wise up to this as it is killing the game. Billy challenge was never a red. There was absolutely zero chance of that ever injuring anybody.

For me, we deserved something from the game today and were denied by poor finishing on our part and poor officiating from Mason, the linesman and the VAR officials.
I find it perfectly understandable that people feel a little pissed off.

Ratings:

Subs –

“Silly late lunge” have a day off mate. It was NOT a red card, no where near. I can’t believe there are genuine fans saying that it was a poor challenge. Billy grazed the cunt with his big toe.

“Silly late lunge” have a day off mate. It was NOT a red card, no where near. I can’t believe there are genuine fans saying that it was a poor challenge. Billy grazed the cunt with his big toe.

Do you think they would get it overturned if they appealed it?

Early days but it maybe we look back on yesterday as the match when it became clear we didn't have enough quality to stay in the league.
Think only one of the summer signings started the match and he was very average before being taken off.
Hopefully we will wise up as Wilder said but both yesterday and against Leicester players have made errors that get punished at this level and we've missed the kind of chances that teams at this level cannot afford to miss.
If that's down to us simply not having enough quality we will go down.

Romeu best player player on the pitch very good at linking up play & finding space , though I thought we would have picked up on that & got tighter on him . Thought we played well though dropped off tempo after half time , just one of those games , if you take your chances we win , but you’ve gotta put them away at this level to give yourself a chance . I’d be more worried if we’d lost 1-0 and created nothing .

Back
Top Bottom