United 0 Palace 2 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Its hard to compare I suppose due to the different levels but not such there is too much basis to challenge such an assertion other than we lose every week at a higher level rather than the Champ but if we played Weds tomorrow in a game would you be that confident we would brush them aside?

I really think those fans who think this side will be near the top of the Championship next year are going to be in for a rude awakening. The current Blades team are unfit, can't run and they are struggling to do the basics. Granted the Champ is inferior and lower but there is a lot more games and you get sucked into the dreadful standard you see most
Imagine scoring 3 in a game of football against a team in the same division they managed it, it's a dream to this shower

Highlights:

Ramsdale’s performance, which was very good.

A 17 year old kid showing more application and effort than Brewster has shown in any game this season.

Lundstram running those few extra steps out of bounds when Eze did him to ensure that he wouldn’t have to track back. I hope he plays against Burnley, I really do, so he gets the goodbye he so richly deserves

The fact that we have become so bad that there are things you can predict before they happen - the corner hits the first man, Burke will mis time his jump, they will be in our area 10 seconds after a move breaks down, Fleck will give the ball away at every opportunity, Lundstram will start with a pass backwards...so boringly predictable.

Aside from Ramsdale, who will likely be an asset next season, I would be quite relaxed about every other player who started yesterday leaving the club. I like some of them, I am grateful to many of them, but they are broken, in some cases beyond repair.

If Heckingbottom gets the job there will be riots. On the other hand there is always the hope that Bob Mortimer will make him a character on Athletico Mince. He’s ripe for that.

The basic tactics are wrong, it’s ok to play 5 at the back but the wing backs need to be pushed high to support midfield and become attacking wingers, this rarely happens
The opposition always push up on us and close us down quickly, they know our midfield is a man short and they are slow, don’t compete and lack ball control and passing skills at this level
We cannot get any accurate balls through the lines because of the above and so the forwards get virtually no quality service from midfield and as the wing backs rarely get forward no service from the wings either
Half the side look burnt out, slow and going through the motions
Set pieces and delivery is laughable at times, been so poor all season, sailing over the far man out for a goal kick or consistently hit the first man
Going to be an interesting challenge for the new manager trying to work out where we go from here
But clearly most weeks the other teams have far better quality players than us, but equally their wage bills will be far higher than ours, it’s the age old catch 22 scenario

I share the growing frustration and anger with every report you write. I have long accepted that every other team to a man have better players than us but as you say we do not even try and compete anymore. The lack of conditioning and fitness which is so obvious is a disgrace. Changing the whole squad is probably unrealistic next season but we need 5 or 6 new faces at least. all this talk of needing to keep the group together is nonsense if we are to look forward with any ambition beyond lower to mid table. |firstly though the manager situation needs revsolving and unless we have someone lined up already the selection process is bordering on incompetence as we get worse with each passing game. Even against Brighton we were crap. If Heckingbotom is a serious contender you have ask to ask why. In his previous roles he has achieved nothing , Since taking over not one player has improved, most have got worse and narrow margins have become big ones.

Finally one positive, Jebbison. He actually looked as if he had an idea how to play as a striker more than Mcburnie, Brewster and Burke combined.

It’s just a bit of a ludicrous statement really, we both know that. We’re currently playing with a system which is completely nullified by opposition tactics. It’s a bit like the end of days under Adkins and a new manager has the ability to completely transform this team’s fortunes IMHO.
Why is the statement ludicrous?

As BladesOnToast says our strongest eleven beat a 2nd string Bristol City side 1-0 with a penalty. These were right near the bottom. That's my evidence. At that point we were on better form too.

It remains to be seen if the new manager has the ability to completely transform things? He is going to be stuck with most if these players due to contracts. Unless we have one of the best conditioning/fitness coaches in football, getting the likes of Fleck, Norwood, Stevens, McBurnie, Brewster, Mousset to actually be able to a level close to acceptable fitness for top level football (they are incredibly unfit the squad) in 8 weeks is going to be some challenge. Our best 2 outfield players McGoldrick and Bash are approaching mid 30's.

Do you think these players with a new system will dramatically improve?

I think way too much has been made of systems and tactics. Granted we should have changed it and it us baffling that neither manager after loss after loss has not tried something else.

Many if the players are unfit, cannot run, are weak, cannot pass, do not dribble, cannot shoot and simply look not arsed. They have all season, not just recently.

Even if we moved away from 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 (not sure it has ever been that) if the players cannot do basic things not sure it will change things as significantly as some think.

Of course absolutely we should have changed the system but I remain unconvinced this is the root of all our problems.

I think the new manager has a huge task to get it back moving the right way with thus group even with tactical tweaks and feel individually and collectively its a set of players on the wane. Sad to say it but I feel the crux of this squad is and should not be the future even short term really.

Last edited:

I think way too much has been made of systems and tactics. Granted we should have changed it and it us baffling that neither manager after loss after loss has not tried something else.

Many if the players are unfit, cannot run, arexweak, cannot pass, do not dribble, cannot shoot and simply look not arsed. They have all season, not just recently.

Even if we moved away from 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 (not sure it has ever been that) if the players cannot do basic things not sure it will change things as significantly as some think.

Of course qbsolutely we should have changed the system but I remain unconvinced this is the root of all our problems.

I think the system is completely nullified and has been for near on a year.

The players have it in them to perform at a much higher level, it’s happened before so it can happen again. They can and have done the basic things, they just aren’t doing them now. The gap in standard between the Championship and Premiership is huge. Plenty of these players have excelled at Champ level.

The season has long since drifted away, so I can see why the hyperbole is appearing about next seasons prospects, but a good manager comes in, has a reset and with some departure brings in a few additions then I think we’ll be in decent shape to be competitive.

The players have it in them to perform at a much higher level, it’s happened before so it can happen again. They can and have done the basic things, they just aren’t doing them now. The gap in standard between the Championship and Premiership is huge. Plenty of these players have excelled at Champ level.

The season has long since drifted away, so I can see why the hyperbole is appearing about next seasons prospects, but a good manager comes in, has a reset and with some departure brings in a few additions then I think we’ll be in decent shape to be competitive.

It is interesting though as people have argued Norwood and Fleck would be awful in a 2, Egan and Basham needs to play in a 3, the wing backs would be even more exposed as full backs.

There is an argument that these players were signed or suited the system we played for 3 years. Clearly it has not worked this year.

We don't have (outside of O'Connell) a player I would feel comfortable in the spine of a 4-4-2. Gosh the fact I'd be as concerned about Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Egan etc in a different formation says it all about the formation discussion! We don't have any wingers either so without a significant shift around of personnel we maybe wedded to this system in some form for a while sadly.

The season has drifted away but there were performances like these going back to the start of last lockdown (Newcastle, Soton, Everton, Leicester, Man Utd). Been nearly 12 months going on like this, not just the last few weeks.

These players have done it before and I agree the Champ is a big drop off but there were teams like Huddersfield, Sunderland, Stoke who probably thought the same and we are closer to those sides in make up than Norwich or Watford who have pace, goals and energy in their sides despite flaws defensively. I also am not sure many of our core are going to improve...most are 30+ and just going to decline now.

I think some of these lads will be fine in games next season as the standard is bad but also the nature of games at Champ level with the intensity and Sat-Tues churn can see if we do not get a good start then all of a sudden you look at some of the sides above and worry that as quick as it went one way for us, it can as quickly go the other as this season proved.

It's a huge task to change personnel (is needed), tactics, formation, fitness, confidence and mentality in 8 weeks. Makes it even more baffling why its took over 2 months and still not sorted, to get a new management team in.

Since Hecky took over performances have gone from bad to worse. The players clearly don’t play for him and he has shown no tactical nous. The managerial appointment is the most important in the club. We saw that in 2016 when CW came in, tweaked the squad but basically got the existing players to play well above the level they had under Adkins and predecessors. Most of these players can and have played much better than they are at the moment. Confidence and morale of the players are rock bottom. PA must get this appointment right. But if he does I still think we can have a good shot at promotion next season but whoever we get it’s a big job to turn us around.

As BladesOnToast says our strongest eleven beat a 2nd string Bristol City side 1-0 with a penalty. These were right near the bottom. That's my evidence. At that point we were on better form too.

It remains to be seen if the new manager has the ability to completely transform things? He is going to be stuck with most if these players due to contracts. Unless we have one of the best conditioning/fitness coaches in football, getting the likes of Fleck, Norwood, Stevens, McBurnie, Brewster, Mousset to actually be able to a level close to acceptable fitness for top level football (they are incredibly unfit the squad) in 8 weeks is going to be some challenge. Our best 2 outfield players McGoldrick and Bash are approaching mid 30's.

Many if the players are unfit, cannot run, are weak, cannot pass, do not dribble, cannot shoot and simply look not arsed. They have all season, not just recently.

Of course absolutely we should have changed the system but I remain unconvinced this is the root of all our problems.

I think the new manager has a huge task to get it back moving the right way with thus group even with tactical tweaks and feel individually and collectively its a set of players on the wane. Sad to say it but I feel the crux of this squad is and should not be the future even short term really.

The Bristol City argument does my head in. It was a one-off game against a team who started the season at the top of the table and then plummeted to the bottom. They were halfway down their descent when we played them and had a huge injury list (which whilst some were back they'd not got match fit or picked up form). Not a fair comparison and not an average Championship team. They were a bottom team on that form and we struggled to beat them.

The fact remains that we don't score. People seem to assume that we'll suddenly have several 15-20 goal-scorers in the Championship because they've done it before. Which shows a dubious understanding of football. Apparently the 35 year old Billy Sharp is going to fire us back up 😂. Not only don't we score, we don't create chances. That's not magically going to change in a similar the same system. We could always sign Jordan Rhodes who has 'done it before' better than anyone else!

At the same time, we've conceded the second highest number of goals in the PL. So, not scoring and shipping goals on a weekly basis. One clean sheet is it? I watched the Wednesday game yesterday and the amount of balls they were putting in the Derby box terrifies me. Our defence is poor in the air. An area which we'll get tested on a lot more next season. Our defending of set pieces is also highly suspect and teams put a lot more balls into the box in the Championship.

We have 17 points. We're nowhere near being competitive as we go down. You can argue that neither are West Brom or Fulham (but they at least give some teams a game) but they have quality attacking players at a Championship level. We have none in the midfield. Not one creative player. Not one player who can open up a team who sit behind the ball and counter on us.

We also have no out ball. No way of consistently getting the ball forward quickly and holding it up/moving us up the pitch. We rely on Baldock for that but if we go to 4 at the back he won't be able to do it. Our best option is Didzy but his legs are going rapidly. We don't have another striker who can really do it.

It all depends on what happens with manager and recruitment but I think a lot of people are in for a shock next season.

There comes a time in every players life when they reach the apex of their career. Unfortunately for us, the majority of this team have come through the divisions together. It was great last season when you saw the same team up on the board time after time , mainly 1 through 12, where the visitors team had all sorts of numbers suggesting that the players with 1- 12 on their shirts were not good enough, (I know we had the occasional exception). Unfortunately, all our players seem to have reached their acme at the same time; all have fallen off the cliff together and, I think, all will need to be replaced as soon as possible. Even in the dark old days of Division 4, there were time you would dread the transfer market taking our better players, but now I really wouldn't be bothered about any player leaving, including Rammers if we could get a good price for him. It really is a sad, sad situation but the players we have loved and who have done well for us up to this season, will have to go and the playing system amended or we are going to drop down the divisions like we did last time. Got more excitement watching Derby v Pigs yesterday than I have in the accumulation of all this years matches!!

It is interesting though as people have argued Norwood and Fleck would be awful in a 2, Egan and Basham needs to play in a 3, the wing backs would be even more exposed as full backs.

There is an argument that these players were signed or suited the system we played for 3 years. Clearly it has not worked this year.

We don't have (outside of O'Connell) a player I would feel comfortable in the spine of a 4-4-2. Gosh the fact I'd be as concerned about Stevens, Fleck, Norwood, Egan etc in a different formation says it all about the formation discussion! We don't have any wingers either so without a significant shift around of personnel we maybe wedded to this system in some form for a while sadly.

The season has drifted away but there were performances like these going back to the start of last lockdown (Newcastle, Soton, Everton, Leicester, Man Utd). Been nearly 12 months going on like this, not just the last few weeks.

These players have done it before and I agree the Champ is a big drop off but there were teams like Huddersfield, Sunderland, Stoke who probably thought the same and we are closer to those sides in make up than Norwich or Watford who have pace, goals and energy in their sides despite flaws defensively. I also am not sure many of our core are going to improve...most are 30+ and just going to decline now.

I think some of these lads will be fine in games next season as the standard is bad but also the nature of games at Champ level with the intensity and Sat-Tues churn can see if we do not get a good start then all of a sudden you look at some of the sides above and worry that as quick as it went one way for us, it can as quickly go the other as this season proved.

It's a huge task to change personnel (is needed), tactics, formation, fitness, confidence and mentality in 8 weeks. Makes it even more baffling why its took over 2 months and still not sorted, to get a new management team in.

The flat midfield three just doesn’t work - that system is dead. I think a 5-3-2 with a number 10 would be alright; if we get SJ I suspect that is how he will play.

It’s a huge task but it inevitably is when a new manager takes over and the old coach goes. I’m happy to accept this season has been terrible, but it just isn’t credible to dismiss next season under a new manager when there are demonstrable examples of how things can change radically under new stewardship in football (including in our recent history).

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – No chance on the goal as it hit Baldock. He made a few smart saves and then a brilliant one from Benteke and kept us in the game at half time again. Terrible exposed again. He was almost laughing how much he has to do after the fantastic save! Dropped a cross from a corner second half and a bit lucky as we got a foul. Touched the Benteke shot onto the post in a good save. He made a few other expected saves but just had way too much to do. He may get interest from other clubs at this level as has played really well.

Baldock 5.5/10 – Started with the ball going through his legs and then deflecting it into his own net. Not sure he could do much about it really but still was almost another comedically bad moment. He got forward a few times but dithered again and lost it. He then got beat for skill a few times down that side by better and skilful players. Second half he was beat a few times but got little help down that side as they seemed to have two on one all the time. He did keep going forward and trying and at least a few attack came from him. He at least tried and maybe was one of the few who kept going and showed some energy. Like the way he fell over like a draft extinguisher near the end in an attempt to stop an attack!

Stevens 3.5/10 – Started horribly again with a series of bad touches and passes including two straight out. Put one decent cross in on the run but after that he just was poor again losing his man and not doing the basics again. Second half he never got forward and often just played aimless balls. Got one block inadvertently but he was stretched a few times. Twice he just kicked it to no one in particular. If anyone has seen the film, ‘Space Jam’ he looks like one of the LoonyTunes who lost his powers! How he keeps starting I do not know? Completely gone.

Basham 3/10 – Thought he had a really bad first half. Got forward once for a cross but then defensively he was beaten for skill a few times and they used their pace to get behind him. The Schlupp chance and also the chance for Eze where he just saw a man run away from him. Chance on the corner but slashed it wide. Defensively he continued to struggle as they just ran off us and he got beat for skill a few times including the 2nd goal, I think. Tries hard but even he has got brought down to the level of others and has not ended the season great after coming back from injury.

Egan 3/10 – Badly at fault (with others) for the goal as Eze ran through and he just stood there like a cone. So slow and watching Prem teams will not be impressed by such lazy and statuesque defenders. After this I felt he was poor with it and struggled with pay and technical players. Made one good block at the end of the half. Chance at the start of the 2nd half miles over the bar in a terrible finish. He then was constantly backpedalling as they ran at us time after time. He cannot cope with pace and runners at all and teams just isolate him and know if he is not heading it away, he is not the same player. Not sure he will be sought after this summer as some think.

Bryan 3/10 – On the goal he dived in, like he did at Leeds I think? He tries to rush things in terms of getting the ball or with the ball. He lost his man on a few times such as the Benteke header when he just stood and watched. Offered little going forward at all. Made a good block from Benteke when Eze fed him on the hour mark. He was another who just always seemed to making last ditch attempts to block it and never comfortable. Got subbed for Lundstram with 10 minutes to go.

Norwood 3/10 – Appalling for the most part. Tried those Hollywood balls and they just went straight to them. Gave it away short and long. He kept it interesting! His set plays were shocking with the one that went miles high and wide like an American Football Field Goal! He was run off by the quicker player and watching him and Eze was like chalk and cheese. He is so one paced (slow) and weak defensively and offering little with the ball. Second half continued to try stupid balls (think one was decent) and recall two he tried they intercepted and ran through and nearly scored. Decent effort on the free kick. Toss up who was worst between him and Fleck as the lad Eze looked a different league (he is now!) He at least put one or two decent balls but for the most part it was giveaways and aimless stuff.

Berge 3.5/10 – Completely anonymous really for the most part but maybe way off match fitness. He had one run but got crowded out early and then looked languid and slow. Off the pace as you would expect but his passing was often overhit when he did have it. Not really involved. Got shoved off it once and they broke. Second half had one run and should have gone down for a penalty but stayed on his feet which was a poor choice as commendable as you could say it was. Came off after that.

Fleck 2/10 – A terrible performance. He got on the ball a few times but gave it away nearly every time. He looks so overweight and slow. It was funny to watch how the Palace players just nicked the ball off him and he just huffed back hopelessly. He rolled around after a fair tackle and then took an awful corner. I am not sure he takes the game seriously at all. Second half he completely dithered and Benteke robbed him and nearly scored. Second half got no better. Always trying to foul or chase back and never able to keep up. On the ball he offered nothing and never drove or penetrated. Topped it off with a deflected effort into his own net.

McGoldrick 3.5/10 – Started behind the pace and did not react to things and even though he drifted around not sure he affected the play at all. He tried a few flicks and tricks but did not come off. He did not link with Burke at all and we had no threat; albeit no midfield or defence assisting at all and three distinctly bad departments, all so far apart. Bit desperate looking for a penalty second half after a better run and one two. Tried to link with the young lad a bit near the end but did not come off.

Burke 2/10 – He is hopeless. He did ok last week in limited minutes and more than Brewster who was terrible but I would still keep playing him to see if he can improve. He might. This lad will never get better. He has no football brain at all. He had a shocking header wide, ran around a bit aimlessly and never really got involved but some of the balls the front two had gave them no chance. His touch is terrible though and rarely holds it up. He had a half chance second half tight to the touch line but got crowded out. Then came off for Jebbison.

Subs –

Osborn 4/10 – Brought on for the tiring Berge. He has not been great recently but still better than Fleck/Norwood and Stevens. Had a few passes and put one good cross in for Jebbison but another that gave it away also and struggled with the pace and power of the Palace midfield.

Jebbsion – Nice to see him get a decent spell of time. 25 minutes in the end. He did ok. Put himself about and showed a bit of skill to win a free kick. A header over and one piece of link up where he nearly played a one-two with McGoldrick.

Lundstram – Pathetic late cameo. What is the point of him playing now? Tried one drag back and lost it. Then got bamboozled by a great piece of skill and did not even try and challenge or run back. They then scored. If that is his final act in a red and white shirt, it is perhaps fitting.

Manager Heckingbottom 1/10 – Another dreadful performance devoid of skill, ideas, commitment, organisation, plan, creativity, chances, pace, running. You name it. He is out of his depth. Sure, the players were crap under Wilder and we saw games like this under him but he has not even seen a slight upturn. If anything, we have got worse. He get a point for putting the young lad on who did ok. Maybe give a few more ago Heckingbottom? I get the sense at half time and full time he does not shout or throw teacups but also does not change anything tactically or formation wise? I get the sense he cannot motivate the players and has little idea. I think the notion of him remaining should be laughable really. His quote of the goal after just over a minute killing us was laughable. We had 89 minutes to get back? He can fold his arms well.

Palace – An odd club that plays in an awful ground (for top division standards) in an awful place to get to. They always seem to punch above their weight for me but have maintained decent-ish crowds and have a fervent support backed by the noisy Holmesdale End. They seem to get managers that keep them afloat and although they have had periods out of the top flight over the last few decades, they seem to be in the top division more than not. They have had some wily and experienced managers in this period. You always think they will struggle but they do enough to keep their head above water. I am surprised in some ways Zaha is still there but then I also think he is inconsistent and showed at Man Utd (albeit when he was younger) he would have to step up his game quite a bit and stay fit and cut out the theatrics. Hodgson seems to be rumoured to be retiring each year but then keeps coming back. They have spent a bit of money but their signings (Eze, Ayew) over the years are not really more spectacular in funds/wages probably than the sort we have signed. He does such a good job. They are not great to watch and like Burnley are rather functional but do enough to stay out of trouble. It’s an existence of sorts but probably a bit dull. Maybe coming from a fan of a team going down is a bit of a bitter comment but I would definitely want my club to aspire to more (Wolves, Leicester and even West Ham this year) but then finances/income and the fact they are in London (can be an advantage) against mostly more attractive clubs makes it hard.

Today they won easily. They are not a great side bit ere miles better than use. They should have won by a hatful. They got a bit lucky on the goals but time after time ran through the middle and only poor choices and finishing let them down. They were not troubled at all at the back. They were another team that had pace and power and athleticism. We cannot keep up with ordinary sides like this. Our conditioning and physical attributes are simply sub-par for the teams we are up against. Throw in the lack of technical attributes and even ordinary teams like these will cast us aside. They should have been out of sight long before they finished it. An easy win as it was back in January. Both games they just turned up and did what they had to.

Opponent Man of the Match – Eze. As he was in the first game. Too skilled and fast for our slow and weak players. Everything in a midfielder we do not have. Zaha is annoying but was good too. You could make an argument all 10 outfield players were better than ours. They had 21 shots to 7 and had 8 on target to 0. They had 11 corners to 5 and bossed the game from start to finish save for a bit of a spell from us early 2nd half.

Opponent Weak link – No-one. All were 6/10 or higher. All better than our outfield players. These are ordinary too. Frightening to say these words.

Referee/Officials – Simon Hooper. Overweight and not up with play. Did not affect the game at all though really. Maybe could have looked at the Berge challenge but then when he does not go down him and VAR won’t review – maybe they should? The rest of the game saw him book Ward harshly and Norwood for trying to foul Eze.

Coverage – Bet the TV companies were falling over themselves to get this classic! I certainly enjoyed the events from the Championship today before (in the end – certain they were going to do it!). Efan Ekoku and Crocker trotted out the usual cliches but knew we were shit of course.

Points a bit harsh on Bash', Egan, Fleck & Mc'G, I thought they at least tried (and failed) to effect the game.
Baldock had a rare off day, but he never hides.

Jebbsion looked lively, and did well for a 17 year old, can see him being on the bench next year for some games to give him experience, he actually looked more mobile than Brewster and we paid 23 Million for him!!

Good read as always, thanks DB

Another abysmal performance, lacked any energy , cohesion or creative strategy .. I can’t believe just how far we’ve slipped from 12 months ago . Wilder squeezed every drop out of the players but we are now a side in serious decline , I’m afraid the roots need ripping out and starting again next season or we’ll end up like another Sunderland . Were 1 defeat off the most PL defeats in a season & 3 off matching Stokes most in top flight pre PL of 31 . After that performance & can’t see anything other than joint holders of that unwanted tag

Agreed. I wouldn’t be surprised if it went either way. Some of our players need moving on, some of them need to tap back into the the ability they can’t have simply lost.

But there’s a chance we’ll struggle if we don’t appoint a decent manager, with time to make appropriate changes.

Thanks for the report another one thats on the same wavelength and thinking of many fans on here.
At the moment talking tactics is a mute point when players cant be bothered, doesnt matter whether we play 3-5-2, 5-3-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-4, or 9-1 we would still lose.
We would lose if 10 players parked themselves on the goal line and had Rammers in front, we would lose if they bricked up the goal.

A very average Sunday league team at the moment.

Agreed. I wouldn’t be surprised if it went either way. Some of our players need moving on, some of them need to tap back into the the ability they can’t have simply lost.

But there’s a chance we’ll struggle if we don’t appoint a decent manager, with time to make appropriate changes.

A decent manager with a bit of nous will get things rolling. I’m looking forward to a new era. 👍

At first I grew quite despondent over hearing that the prince insisted that a key criteria for the new manager was to play 3-5-2, now I realise it's because the squad turnover we'd need to adapt to a different formation would just be too big an ask, the players we have are so ingrained into that formation.

We need someone to come on and identify which of the current squad can get anywhere near previous season form and buy other players into compliment them. I really don't envy that man!

Worth adding that Bristol Rovers finished bottom of League 1 and Plymouth were only a couple of places clear of relegation too, and we didn't exactly steamroll those sides, again fielding a full-strength United XI.

Some good laugh out loud moments there lads. Not sure if it's Morecombe and Wise or Mark and Lard but highlight of the weekend.

Enda Stevens, his has been cold for a year - made me laugh out loud that one.

I'd tend to agree that eyes need to turn to building a team rather than pinning your hopes on Fleck, Norwood et al. They might help get us there but no chance they can keep us there.

Maybe the future is Jebbeson, Hackford and Ayari and possibly Brewster and it's the job of Sharp and McGoldrick to ease them in?

Certainly it feels like it will be the last meaningful season for Basham, Sharp, McGoldrick next season and possibly Stevens if he makes it that far. Fleck or Ram Man as he's fast becoming and Norwood are younger but they will only be here longer if we are settling into being a Championship team for more than a year.

Also agree with Mark that Wilder stopped transitioning the team to higher levels. Similarities with Warnock. He stuck Tonge in midfield when he should have been looking to improve, not make do. In our case, having Berge, Norwood and Fleck, he should have been looking to upgrade to do more with the ball. As it is the midfield coughs up too much possession at this level which then plays to the weakness of them as neither Fleck nor Norwood is very good out of possession, especially Norwood. Perhaps this makes me Captain Hindsight, but playing Sharp more instead of the goalless Brewster contributions and lumping money on a top level midfielder would have seemed infinitely more judicious.

Wilder's motivation and arguably tactics did extend to the PL but sadly his recruitment didn't. No complaints on Ramsdale these days though that was a lot of budget and perhaps a loan signing could have done a similar job. Can talk all the time about budget, wages etc but how much did Palace spend? How much did Burnley spend? West Brom? All finished miles above us. What we did have we didn't spend judiciously. Apart from Berge, whose mystique outstrips his actual contribution, which of Wilder's post promotion signings is leaving us for a profit? I'm struggling to think of any.

The flat midfield three just doesn’t work - that system is dead. I think a 5-3-2 with a number 10 would be alright; if we get SJ I suspect that is how he will play.

It’s a huge task but it inevitably is when a new manager takes over and the old coach goes. I’m happy to accept this season has been terrible, but it just isn’t credible to dismiss next season under a new manager when there are demonstrable examples of how things can change radically under new stewardship in football (including in our recent history).
The flat midfield didn't work at all in the Championship and garnered our worst performances early season until Wilder brought Duffy back. He had the habit of dropping him from time to time which I never really got. Even if he didn't have an amazing game the play was much better. Had the same habit with looking to oust Sharp. Wish he'd given Billy more game time and saved money on strikers.

Agree a number 10 is the way forward in this formation bit I'd be most concerned with the 2 behind the no 10. Unless we are going to get a hell of a lot better at ball retention Norwood and Fleck are now far too immobile.

I think the whole midfield needs a total rejig to be honest.

Some good laugh out loud moments there lads. Not sure if it's Morecombe and Wise or Mark and Lard but highlight of the weekend.

Enda Stevens, his has been cold for a year - made me laugh out loud that one.

I think both are generous (even Cannon and Ball would be pushing it), but glad you’re enjoying it.

I'd tend to agree that eyes need to turn to building a team rather than pinning your hopes on Fleck, Norwood et al. They might help get us there but no chance they can keep us there.

Maybe the future is Jebbeson, Hackford and Ayari and possibly Brewster and it's the job of Sharp and McGoldrick to ease them in?

Yeah. It’s unrealistic to get rid of the lot (especially those on long contracts), but I think a clear out is needed. We will probably start with a lot of what we have, hope for the best and see how it goes.

Also agree with Mark that Wilder stopped transitioning the team to higher levels. Similarities with Warnock. He stuck Tonge in midfield when he should have been looking to improve, not make do. In our case, having Berge, Norwood and Fleck, he should have been looking to upgrade to do more with the ball. As it is the midfield coughs up too much possession at this level which then plays to the weakness of them as neither Fleck nor Norwood is very good out of possession, especially Norwood. Perhaps this makes me Captain Hindsight, but playing Sharp more instead of the goalless Brewster contributions and lumping money on a top level midfielder would have seemed infinitely more judicious.

Yep, stagnated after previous good work in constantly upgrading key positions. Even when we were flying last season, there was nothing in reserve so even if they kept their form, just 1-2 injuries or suspensions was likely to be a problem.

What we did have we didn't spend judiciously. Apart from Berge, whose mystique outstrips his actual contribution, which of Wilder's post promotion signings is leaving us for a profit? I'm struggling to think of any.
I’ve no complaints with buying Ramsdale (especially given what we will have paid for him in real terms), but apart from that, totally agree. The keeper aside, when was his last good and effective signing? Didzy?

Back
Top Bottom