United 0 Palace 2 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Pod to come later…..

As the season meanders to a depressing end, the Blades completed their penultimate home game of the season at a saturated Bramall Lane. Crystal Palace were in town for a game that hopefully will see the last time that the ground will be empty after 14 months without spectators. Once again the Blades were second best and now have lost 28 games this season and are just one game away from having the joint most in Premier League history. At 17 goals they are still 3 away from equalling Derby’s record for fewest goals. Palace scored right at the start and close to the end. In between they dominated the game and chances and the Blades just looked a sorry mess as they were not able to have a single effort on the opposition goal in another performance that was simply not good enough.

United started with Sander Berge making a start for the first time since just before Xmas after sustaining a serious injury against Manchester United. Kean Bryan was also back in after his partner gave birth a few days ago. Oli Burke also came back in. The outgoing players were Ben Osborn, Jayden Bogle and Rhian Brewster. 17-year-old striker Daniel Jebbison was given a place on the bench after impressing for the Academy and u23’s this season.

Palace make two changes from the side beaten by Manchester City last time out with Jeffrey Schlupp and Gary Cahill coming in for Scott Dann and Jairo Riedewald. Wilfried Zaha started alongside Christian Benteke. Roy Hodgson’s men knew they needed one win to keep themselves mathematically safe.

The game was only a minute old when Palace were ahead. United’s soft touch in midfield saw Eze almost walk through and the midfielder then drifted past a static Egan and played it across. The ball went through Baldock’s legs and found BENTEKE. The striker hit a shot that Ramsdale would probably have saved but the ball hit Baldock and deflected up and into the net.

The bad start from United continued as they gave it away time after time and Palace were dominating. Eze continued to look a threat and Palace won two corners. United looked abject and a rare break saw Basham get down the right but it came to nothing.

Palace again went though the soft United midfield and Benteke had a chance but he hooked it at Ramsdale despite being given an age to pull it down and line it up.

Stevens did get a decent cross in but it was difficult for McGoldrick to divert it anywhere near goal as he was leaning back to get his head on it. Palace won a corner after a deflection wide and the ball stayed in the Blades area before Milijvojevic hit an effort that a Palace player flicked goalwards but Ramsdale did well to gather.

United had a bit of the ball down the right with Baldock doing well but his cross was headed nowhere near from Burke as the Palace keeper continued to have nothing to do.

Bryan put in a meaty challenge but got the ball and then Ward did likewise on Fleck and was actually yellow carded. Norwood’s delivery was awful as it went miles high and wide from the free kick. Norwood and then Bryan gave it away before Fleck was the next to waste a set piece hitting the first man in a corner.

Palace then had a flurry of chances to finish the game as Schlupp got away from Basham easily and sent a delightful cross over and Bryan lost Benteke completely and his header was saved superbly by Ramsdale as he went down to his right.

Eze then outfoxed Baldock with some lovely skill and worked a chance but shot wide when well placed before Zaha then came inside the hapless Basham but his shot was blocked by Egan. United were hanging on grimly and it was all Palace with no opportunities created or at the Palace keeper who hd been completely unemployed as half time came.

The second half started with a better spell at least in terms of united having a few moments with Berge coming inside and Mitchell dangling a leg but the Norwegian stayed on his feet when if he had gone down it would have been a spot kick you would think.

United won a corner but as the ball dropped to Egan, it was sliced awfully wide. It was a good chance.

Berge then chopped his man down as Palace broke before a cross from the right saw Basham do well to head over his own bar. From the resultant corner, the away side had a chance as Ramsdale did not gather but was fouled. Palace then had a good chance on 55 minutes as Fleck dithered yet again and Benteke robbed him and shot goalwards at the near post but Ramsdale touched it onto the post. It was another good chance for Palace to finish the game.

Osborn came on for Berge before Palace broke from another giveaway after McGoldrick went down desperately looking for a penalty and Eze fed Benteke but Bryan blocked well. United were trying to find something but it was now a game where Palace just had control and still looked the more likely with Eze and Zaha looking dangerous on the break. Zaha was crowded out before United made a change with young Jebbison coming on for Burke. United won a corner but as it dropped Basham sliced badly wide.

The game moved into the final 20 minutes and united had still not tested Guaita with two sliced efforts wide from defenders the sum of their efforts. Osborn then sent over a cross after good work from Baldock but Jebbison on the stretch headed well over.

Zaha was still causing issues and got away on the break but he was crowded out before Townsend had a shot narrowly wide. Palace were still the most threatening side by a long way and Zaha then came inside and turned away from two men before the ball came across and Ayew seemed set to score but hit Stevens and it went behind.

United players were flailing about on half way with two hitting the deck as Zaha ran away again but he could not find the final moment. Lundstram came on for Bryan but United were still not looking threatening at all. Norwood’s ball through was too hard for McGoldrick before Ramsdale had to bail out his side again as Ayew shot was pushed away.

Jebbison showed some nice skill with a drag back and won a free kick. Norwood’s effort was decent but just over but at least had the Palace keeper worried.

Palace won another corner before Benteke and Zaha worked space again and United could not hold up their pace and running power as the defence was constantly at full stretch.

On 88 minutes the game which had probably been over since minute one was properly confirmed. Lundstram was completely embarrassed by Eze with a sublime piece of skill and the sub for the Blades made a hopeless attempt to get back before EZE ran away. The midfielder cut inside and beat several men, sitting at least two on the deck before hitting a shot that hit Fleck and deflected beyond Ramsdale.

There was three minutes stoppage time and although Baldock kept probing United created nothing of note and once again had failed to have a single shot on target in another thoroughly appalling display.

United – Another disgusting display. They will talk about effort and trying but let’s be honest we were garbage with the ball and gave it away all game but we did not unsettle, press or harry the opponents again. We are miles off every other side at this level but we are not even competing anymore. It is embarrassing how bad we are individually and collectively. A very ordinary side like Palace has beat us 2-0 twice and really they should have been looking at 4 or 5-0 win’s on each occasion. They have run through us from the middle of the field time after time and Zaha/Eze were just different standard. Palace are a side that are no great shakes but won so easily. They scored early and really missed so many chances with Ramsdale keeping us in it. We did not have one shot on goal and other than two sliced efforts from defenders and the Norwood free kick over, we never got close. It was pathetic. A new contender for worst showing of the season but there has been so many. I get angry when people say it’s just that we are not good enough as I do agree but we have to tackle, fight and unsettle teams. I think the effort from the players has been border line disgusting. I am sorry to say. These lads cannot argue one bit if most are dumped. The only reason many are saying keep them is because we are going down a level or we cannot make too many changes? Why not? I would rather build something for the future. You know what I do not care if we do not go up for a season or two. We need to build something a side that can actually stay here if we ever go up. None of these players (save Ramsdale and maybe Berge) will play at this level ever again and most are on the downward trajectory. Why would we keep so many of them? If we come up, they are miles off this level so what is the point of keeping them. This is not a bit of a blip this is over a year of terrible form where players look half arsed, are unfit and just look disinterested. I loved most of these lads and it breaks my heart but many are done, finished. Even the lads we love McGoldrick and Basham – we might get another year but they are not the future. Honest triers like Baldock and Osborn are not really anywhere near top flight but you can argue we keep them whilst we build.

We are a sorry state of affairs and how we can contemplate keeping this guy is beyond me? If we appoint him then that is sorry to say an appalling and cheap decision that shows the club have no idea and no plan. I criticised Wilder and he has to take a large amount of blame for this season but it now seems he was everything for this side and team. Without him we are rudderless. We need someone to come in who is ruthless but we will get this guy or one of the unproven managers from Belgium and then they will keep the bulk of these and it will be a wasted season. Granted the Championship is dire but I am not even sure today we were much better than the abject Derby/Wednesday sides I saw early. All three could barely string two passes together. The notion the spine of this side will bounce back and be near the top next season I find laughable and I worry that a fair few fans think that. I may be wrong but as I say even if they do ok or come back up – then what? We need to act now and build the next side. Heard James Shield say Jokanovic might be back in the running but not sure he has got a clue really?

There are very few worth keeping (keeper the main one) but I would not care one bit if any other player left. The performance of the outfield players today was laughable. They looked like they could not run or even kick the ball – let alone try and score a goal. It was so bad it was untrue. If anything, we get worse as the season goes on!

The first half we were wretched. Once again half asleep to start the game. The midfield walked though time after time, defenders getting beat for skill and pace and Ramsdale having to bail us out time after time. The goal was poor from the midfield, Bryan tried to dive in and then awful from Egan and then no one got across. It was a bit unlucky but he was unmarked. They could have had lots more with Eze and Zaha running through us and we did nothing going the other way. The dreadful Burke was in full headless chicken mode but the midfield behind were even worse. Fleck and Norwood were laughable and Berge anonymous. We were so slow and it was like watching players who had played 3 or 4 games back-to-back against a side that was fresh. We are so slow and unfit and just get run off the park. Then other teams are far more skilled and have goal threats. We looked appalling. People will again say the effort was there. It was not we lost 50-50’s, we never ran and competed and then on the ball we were lazy and no one took responsibility. It was another gutless showing

Second half we had a few moments early with the Berge run and Egan’s bad effort. Palace then had a few chances with Benteke hitting the post and it became scrappy but not sure we looked like scoring. Palace then had many more chances and only poor finishing or Ramsdale kept us in it but we never looked like scoring save a few effort drifting wide/over. They constantly ran through us and looked like they could score any moment. Eventually they did. 2-0 hugely flattered us. It was pathetic. Insipid. Boring. Hopeless. This season does need to end but all those thinking all of a sudden August we are going to see this side turn it on and become a winning group then I think they are in for a shock. As I say I do not know but so many of these players just look done, shot. I am not sure with the ages of many what is the point of retaining so many but then moving so many on may be hard too. Certainly, we are not going to be ravaged in the summer with only Ramsdale and Berge going to draw interest. Noone is signing anyone else. O’Connell seems a long way from even playing again and I do sorry about his career long term after being out for so long and having so many setbacks to get back.

Wednesday going down was the highlight of today but does not take away what a depressing state of affairs it is down at S2. We look a complete mess on and off the field. The number of weeks going by with no movement, decision or plan for the manager, who is the chairman, the training ground and the academy means it is hard to be anything but despondent. I will renew of course (when they can sort that fiasco of a ticketing website out) and be back hopefully (maybe not all of us to begin with) but I am not someone thinking august it will all be better. We need decisive action the next few weeks and it needs to happen now. The apathy and lack of direction/planning seems staggering when Wilder was rumoured to want to leave since Xmas and we have had nothing in place or ready at all?

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – No chance on the goal as it hit Baldock. He made a few smart saves and then a brilliant one from Benteke and kept us in the game at half time again. Terrible exposed again. He was almost laughing how much he has to do after the fantastic save! Dropped a cross from a corner second half and a bit lucky as we got a foul. Touched the Benteke shot onto the post in a good save. He made a few other expected saves but just had way too much to do. He may get interest from other clubs at this level as has played really well.

Baldock 5.5/10 – Started with the ball going through his legs and then deflecting it into his own net. Not sure he could do much about it really but still was almost another comedically bad moment. He got forward a few times but dithered again and lost it. He then got beat for skill a few times down that side by better and skilful players. Second half he was beat a few times but got little help down that side as they seemed to have two on one all the time. He did keep going forward and trying and at least a few attack came from him. He at least tried and maybe was one of the few who kept going and showed some energy. Like the way he fell over like a draft extinguisher near the end in an attempt to stop an attack!

Stevens 3.5/10 – Started horribly again with a series of bad touches and passes including two straight out. Put one decent cross in on the run but after that he just was poor again losing his man and not doing the basics again. Second half he never got forward and often just played aimless balls. Got one block inadvertently but he was stretched a few times. Twice he just kicked it to no one in particular. If anyone has seen the film, ‘Space Jam’ he looks like one of the LoonyTunes who lost his powers! How he keeps starting I do not know? Completely gone.

Basham 3/10 – Thought he had a really bad first half. Got forward once for a cross but then defensively he was beaten for skill a few times and they used their pace to get behind him. The Schlupp chance and also the chance for Eze where he just saw a man run away from him. Chance on the corner but slashed it wide. Defensively he continued to struggle as they just ran off us and he got beat for skill a few times including the 2nd goal, I think. Tries hard but even he has got brought down to the level of others and has not ended the season great after coming back from injury.

Egan 3/10 – Badly at fault (with others) for the goal as Eze ran through and he just stood there like a cone. So slow and watching Prem teams will not be impressed by such lazy and statuesque defenders. After this I felt he was poor with it and struggled with pay and technical players. Made one good block at the end of the half. Chance at the start of the 2nd half miles over the bar in a terrible finish. He then was constantly backpedalling as they ran at us time after time. He cannot cope with pace and runners at all and teams just isolate him and know if he is not heading it away, he is not the same player. Not sure he will be sought after this summer as some think.

Bryan 3/10 – On the goal he dived in, like he did at Leeds I think? He tries to rush things in terms of getting the ball or with the ball. He lost his man on a few times such as the Benteke header when he just stood and watched. Offered little going forward at all. Made a good block from Benteke when Eze fed him on the hour mark. He was another who just always seemed to making last ditch attempts to block it and never comfortable. Got subbed for Lundstram with 10 minutes to go.

Norwood 3/10 – Appalling for the most part. Tried those Hollywood balls and they just went straight to them. Gave it away short and long. He kept it interesting! His set plays were shocking with the one that went miles high and wide like an American Football Field Goal! He was run off by the quicker player and watching him and Eze was like chalk and cheese. He is so one paced (slow) and weak defensively and offering little with the ball. Second half continued to try stupid balls (think one was decent) and recall two he tried they intercepted and ran through and nearly scored. Decent effort on the free kick. Toss up who was worst between him and Fleck as the lad Eze looked a different league (he is now!) He at least put one or two decent balls but for the most part it was giveaways and aimless stuff.

Berge 3.5/10 – Completely anonymous really for the most part but maybe way off match fitness. He had one run but got crowded out early and then looked languid and slow. Off the pace as you would expect but his passing was often overhit when he did have it. Not really involved. Got shoved off it once and they broke. Second half had one run and should have gone down for a penalty but stayed on his feet which was a poor choice as commendable as you could say it was. Came off after that.

Fleck 2/10 – A terrible performance. He got on the ball a few times but gave it away nearly every time. He looks so overweight and slow. It was funny to watch how the Palace players just nicked the ball off him and he just huffed back hopelessly. He rolled around after a fair tackle and then took an awful corner. I am not sure he takes the game seriously at all. Second half he completely dithered and Benteke robbed him and nearly scored. Second half got no better. Always trying to foul or chase back and never able to keep up. On the ball he offered nothing and never drove or penetrated. Topped it off with a deflected effort into his own net.

McGoldrick 3.5/10 – Started behind the pace and did not react to things and even though he drifted around not sure he affected the play at all. He tried a few flicks and tricks but did not come off. He did not link with Burke at all and we had no threat; albeit no midfield or defence assisting at all and three distinctly bad departments, all so far apart. Bit desperate looking for a penalty second half after a better run and one two. Tried to link with the young lad a bit near the end but did not come off.

Burke 2/10 – He is hopeless. He did ok last week in limited minutes and more than Brewster who was terrible but I would still keep playing him to see if he can improve. He might. This lad will never get better. He has no football brain at all. He had a shocking header wide, ran around a bit aimlessly and never really got involved but some of the balls the front two had gave them no chance. His touch is terrible though and rarely holds it up. He had a half chance second half tight to the touch line but got crowded out. Then came off for Jebbison.

Subs –

Osborn 4/10 – Brought on for the tiring Berge. He has not been great recently but still better than Fleck/Norwood and Stevens. Had a few passes and put one good cross in for Jebbison but another that gave it away also and struggled with the pace and power of the Palace midfield.

Jebbsion – Nice to see him get a decent spell of time. 25 minutes in the end. He did ok. Put himself about and showed a bit of skill to win a free kick. A header over and one piece of link up where he nearly played a one-two with McGoldrick.

Lundstram – Pathetic late cameo. What is the point of him playing now? Tried one drag back and lost it. Then got bamboozled by a great piece of skill and did not even try and challenge or run back. They then scored. If that is his final act in a red and white shirt, it is perhaps fitting.

Manager Heckingbottom 1/10 – Another dreadful performance devoid of skill, ideas, commitment, organisation, plan, creativity, chances, pace, running. You name it. He is out of his depth. Sure, the players were crap under Wilder and we saw games like this under him but he has not even seen a slight upturn. If anything, we have got worse. He get a point for putting the young lad on who did ok. Maybe give a few more ago Heckingbottom? I get the sense at half time and full time he does not shout or throw teacups but also does not change anything tactically or formation wise? I get the sense he cannot motivate the players and has little idea. I think the notion of him remaining should be laughable really. His quote of the goal after just over a minute killing us was laughable. We had 89 minutes to get back? He can fold his arms well.

Palace – An odd club that plays in an awful ground (for top division standards) in an awful place to get to. They always seem to punch above their weight for me but have maintained decent-ish crowds and have a fervent support backed by the noisy Holmesdale End. They seem to get managers that keep them afloat and although they have had periods out of the top flight over the last few decades, they seem to be in the top division more than not. They have had some wily and experienced managers in this period. You always think they will struggle but they do enough to keep their head above water. I am surprised in some ways Zaha is still there but then I also think he is inconsistent and showed at Man Utd (albeit when he was younger) he would have to step up his game quite a bit and stay fit and cut out the theatrics. Hodgson seems to be rumoured to be retiring each year but then keeps coming back. They have spent a bit of money but their signings (Eze, Ayew) over the years are not really more spectacular in funds/wages probably than the sort we have signed. He does such a good job. They are not great to watch and like Burnley are rather functional but do enough to stay out of trouble. It’s an existence of sorts but probably a bit dull. Maybe coming from a fan of a team going down is a bit of a bitter comment but I would definitely want my club to aspire to more (Wolves, Leicester and even West Ham this year) but then finances/income and the fact they are in London (can be an advantage) against mostly more attractive clubs makes it hard.

Today they won easily. They are not a great side bit ere miles better than use. They should have won by a hatful. They got a bit lucky on the goals but time after time ran through the middle and only poor choices and finishing let them down. They were not troubled at all at the back. They were another team that had pace and power and athleticism. We cannot keep up with ordinary sides like this. Our conditioning and physical attributes are simply sub-par for the teams we are up against. Throw in the lack of technical attributes and even ordinary teams like these will cast us aside. They should have been out of sight long before they finished it. An easy win as it was back in January. Both games they just turned up and did what they had to.

Opponent Man of the Match – Eze. As he was in the first game. Too skilled and fast for our slow and weak players. Everything in a midfielder we do not have. Zaha is annoying but was good too. You could make an argument all 10 outfield players were better than ours. They had 21 shots to 7 and had 8 on target to 0. They had 11 corners to 5 and bossed the game from start to finish save for a bit of a spell from us early 2nd half.

Opponent Weak link – No-one. All were 6/10 or higher. All better than our outfield players. These are ordinary too. Frightening to say these words.

Referee/Officials – Simon Hooper. Overweight and not up with play. Did not affect the game at all though really. Maybe could have looked at the Berge challenge but then when he does not go down him and VAR won’t review – maybe they should? The rest of the game saw him book Ward harshly and Norwood for trying to foul Eze.

Coverage – Bet the TV companies were falling over themselves to get this classic! I certainly enjoyed the events from the Championship today before (in the end – certain they were going to do it!). Efan Ekoku and Crocker trotted out the usual cliches but knew we were shit of course.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – No chance on the goal as it hit Baldock. He made a few smart saves and then a brilliant one from Benteke and kept us in the game at half time again. Terrible exposed again. He was almost laughing how much he has to do after the fantastic save! Dropped a cross from a corner second half and a bit lucky as we got a foul. Touched the Benteke shot onto the post in a good save. He made a few other expected saves but just had way too much to do. He may get interest from other clubs at this level as has played really well.

Baldock 5.5/10 – Started with the ball going through his legs and then deflecting it into his own net. Not sure he could do much about it really but still was almost another comedically bad moment. He got forward a few times but dithered again and lost it. He then got beat for skill a few times down that side by better and skilful players. Second half he was beat a few times but got little help down that side as they seemed to have two on one all the time. He did keep going forward and trying and at least a few attack came from him. He at least tried and maybe was one of the few who kept going and showed some energy. Like the way he fell over like a draft extinguisher near the end in an attempt to stop an attack!

Stevens 3.5/10 – Started horribly again with a series of bad touches and passes including two straight out. Put one decent cross in on the run but after that he just was poor again losing his man and not doing the basics again. Second half he never got forward and often just played aimless balls. Got one block inadvertently but he was stretched a few times. Twice he just kicked it to no one in particular. If anyone has seen the film, ‘Space Jam’ he looks like one of the LoonyTunes who lost his powers! How he keeps starting I do not know? Completely gone.

Basham 3/10 – Thought he had a really bad first half. Got forward once for a cross but then defensively he was beaten for skill a few times and they used their pace to get behind him. The Schlupp chance and also the chance for Eze where he just saw a man run away from him. Chance on the corner but slashed it wide. Defensively he continued to struggle as they just ran off us and he got beat for skill a few times including the 2nd goal, I think. Tries hard but even he has got brought down to the level of others and has not ended the season great after coming back from injury.

Egan 3/10 – Badly at fault (with others) for the goal as Eze ran through and he just stood there like a cone. So slow and watching Prem teams will not be impressed by such lazy and statuesque defenders. After this I felt he was poor with it and struggled with pay and technical players. Made one good block at the end of the half. Chance at the start of the 2nd half miles over the bar in a terrible finish. He then was constantly backpedalling as they ran at us time after time. He cannot cope with pace and runners at all and teams just isolate him and know if he is not heading it away, he is not the same player. Not sure he will be sought after this summer as some think.

Bryan 3/10 – On the goal he dived in, like he did at Leeds I think? He tries to rush things in terms of getting the ball or with the ball. He lost his man on a few times such as the Benteke header when he just stood and watched. Offered little going forward at all. Made a good block from Benteke when Eze fed him on the hour mark. He was another who just always seemed to making last ditch attempts to block it and never comfortable. Got subbed for Lundstram with 10 minutes to go.

Norwood 3/10 – Appalling for the most part. Tried those Hollywood balls and they just went straight to them. Gave it away short and long. He kept it interesting! His set plays were shocking with the one that went miles high and wide like an American Football Field Goal! He was run off by the quicker player and watching him and Eze was like chalk and cheese. He is so one paced (slow) and weak defensively and offering little with the ball. Second half continued to try stupid balls (think one was decent) and recall two he tried they intercepted and ran through and nearly scored. Decent effort on the free kick. Toss up who was worst between him and Fleck as the lad Eze looked a different league (he is now!) He at least put one or two decent balls but for the most part it was giveaways and aimless stuff.

Berge 3.5/10 – Completely anonymous really for the most part but maybe way off match fitness. He had one run but got crowded out early and then looked languid and slow. Off the pace as you would expect but his passing was often overhit when he did have it. Not really involved. Got shoved off it once and they broke. Second half had one run and should have gone down for a penalty but stayed on his feet which was a poor choice as commendable as you could say it was. Came off after that.

Fleck 2/10 – A terrible performance. He got on the ball a few times but gave it away nearly every time. He looks so overweight and slow. It was funny to watch how the Palace players just nicked the ball off him and he just huffed back hopelessly. He rolled around after a fair tackle and then took an awful corner. I am not sure he takes the game seriously at all. Second half he completely dithered and Benteke robbed him and nearly scored. Second half got no better. Always trying to foul or chase back and never able to keep up. On the ball he offered nothing and never drove or penetrated. Topped it off with a deflected effort into his own net.

McGoldrick 3.5/10 – Started behind the pace and did not react to things and even though he drifted around not sure he affected the play at all. He tried a few flicks and tricks but did not come off. He did not link with Burke at all and we had no threat; albeit no midfield or defence assisting at all and three distinctly bad departments, all so far apart. Bit desperate looking for a penalty second half after a better run and one two. Tried to link with the young lad a bit near the end but did not come off.

Burke 2/10 – He is hopeless. He did ok last week in limited minutes and more than Brewster who was terrible but I would still keep playing him to see if he can improve. He might. This lad will never get better. He has no football brain at all. He had a shocking header wide, ran around a bit aimlessly and never really got involved but some of the balls the front two had gave them no chance. His touch is terrible though and rarely holds it up. He had a half chance second half tight to the touch line but got crowded out. Then came off for Jebbison.

Subs –

Osborn 4/10 – Brought on for the tiring Berge. He has not been great recently but still better than Fleck/Norwood and Stevens. Had a few passes and put one good cross in for Jebbison but another that gave it away also and struggled with the pace and power of the Palace midfield.

Jebbsion – Nice to see him get a decent spell of time. 25 minutes in the end. He did ok. Put himself about and showed a bit of skill to win a free kick. A header over and one piece of link up where he nearly played a one-two with McGoldrick.

Lundstram – Pathetic late cameo. What is the point of him playing now? Tried one drag back and lost it. Then got bamboozled by a great piece of skill and did not even try and challenge or run back. They then scored. If that is his final act in a red and white shirt, it is perhaps fitting.

Manager Heckingbottom 1/10 – Another dreadful performance devoid of skill, ideas, commitment, organisation, plan, creativity, chances, pace, running. You name it. He is out of his depth. Sure, the players were crap under Wilder and we saw games like this under him but he has not even seen a slight upturn. If anything, we have got worse. He get a point for putting the young lad on who did ok. Maybe give a few more ago Heckingbottom? I get the sense at half time and full time he does not shout or throw teacups but also does not change anything tactically or formation wise? I get the sense he cannot motivate the players and has little idea. I think the notion of him remaining should be laughable really. His quote of the goal after just over a minute killing us was laughable. We had 89 minutes to get back? He can fold his arms well.

Palace – An odd club that plays in an awful ground (for top division standards) in an awful place to get to. They always seem to punch above their weight for me but have maintained decent-ish crowds and have a fervent support backed by the noisy Holmesdale End. They seem to get managers that keep them afloat and although they have had periods out of the top flight over the last few decades, they seem to be in the top division more than not. They have had some wily and experienced managers in this period. You always think they will struggle but they do enough to keep their head above water. I am surprised in some ways Zaha is still there but then I also think he is inconsistent and showed at Man Utd (albeit when he was younger) he would have to step up his game quite a bit and stay fit and cut out the theatrics. Hodgson seems to be rumoured to be retiring each year but then keeps coming back. They have spent a bit of money but their signings (Eze, Ayew) over the years are not really more spectacular in funds/wages probably than the sort we have signed. He does such a good job. They are not great to watch and like Burnley are rather functional but do enough to stay out of trouble. It’s an existence of sorts but probably a bit dull. Maybe coming from a fan of a team going down is a bit of a bitter comment but I would definitely want my club to aspire to more (Wolves, Leicester and even West Ham this year) but then finances/income and the fact they are in London (can be an advantage) against mostly more attractive clubs makes it hard.

Today they won easily. They are not a great side bit ere miles better than use. They should have won by a hatful. They got a bit lucky on the goals but time after time ran through the middle and only poor choices and finishing let them down. They were not troubled at all at the back. They were another team that had pace and power and athleticism. We cannot keep up with ordinary sides like this. Our conditioning and physical attributes are simply sub-par for the teams we are up against. Throw in the lack of technical attributes and even ordinary teams like these will cast us aside. They should have been out of sight long before they finished it. An easy win as it was back in January. Both games they just turned up and did what they had to.

Opponent Man of the Match – Eze. As he was in the first game. Too skilled and fast for our slow and weak players. Everything in a midfielder we do not have. Zaha is annoying but was good too. You could make an argument all 10 outfield players were better than ours. They had 21 shots to 7 and had 8 on target to 0. They had 11 corners to 5 and bossed the game from start to finish save for a bit of a spell from us early 2nd half.

Opponent Weak link – No-one. All were 6/10 or higher. All better than our outfield players. These are ordinary too. Frightening to say these words.

Referee/Officials – Simon Hooper. Overweight and not up with play. Did not affect the game at all though really. Maybe could have looked at the Berge challenge but then when he does not go down him and VAR won’t review – maybe they should? The rest of the game saw him book Ward harshly and Norwood for trying to foul Eze.

Coverage – Bet the TV companies were falling over themselves to get this classic! I certainly enjoyed the events from the Championship today before (in the end – certain they were going to do it!). Efan Ekoku and Crocker trotted out the usual cliches but knew we were shit of course.
Generous marks for some players but I agree with almost all you’ve said.

If you could talk about other random shit on the pod it would be appreciated.

Thanks. Unfortunately spot on and I share your realism (not pessimism) re next season. Thank god the pigs got relegated because they’re at our level.

Your reports are superb and on the money, reminds me of the green un write ups but more detailed but that’s probably just me being sentimental.

I admire your effort always but especially these last few months. I’m a worried blade atm.

Cheers Deadbat. If only the players put in half as much effort as you.

It really is painful to watch, the same things happening game after game, after game. We never look like scoring or creating and now struggle to even get in the opponents half. Never seen a team so out of their depth.

Ratings:

Subs –

At long last someone who dares to criticise members of the team for being unfit,unprofessional and a lack of guts.Going down a division is NOT going to rectify any of these faults. A complete clear out is required by a new management team.I agree with everything you posted.

Pod to come later…..

As the season meanders to a depressing end, the Blades completed their penultimate home game of the season at a saturated Bramall Lane. Crystal Palace were in town for a game that hopefully will see the last time that the ground will be empty after 14 months without spectators. Once again the Blades were second best and now have lost 28 games this season and are just one game away from having the joint most in Premier League history. At 17 goals they are still 3 away from equalling Derby’s record for fewest goals. Palace scored right at the start and close to the end. In between they dominated the game and chances and the Blades just looked a sorry mess as they were not able to have a single effort on the opposition goal in another performance that was simply not good enough.

United started with Sander Berge making a start for the first time since just before Xmas after sustaining a serious injury against Manchester United. Kean Bryan was also back in after his partner gave birth a few days ago. Oli Burke also came back in. The outgoing players were Ben Osborn, Jayden Bogle and Rhian Brewster. 17-year-old striker Daniel Jebbison was given a place on the bench after impressing for the Academy and u23’s this season.

Palace make two changes from the side beaten by Manchester City last time out with Jeffrey Schlupp and Gary Cahill coming in for Scott Dann and Jairo Riedewald. Wilfried Zaha started alongside Christian Benteke. Roy Hodgson’s men knew they needed one win to keep themselves mathematically safe.

The game was only a minute old when Palace were ahead. United’s soft touch in midfield saw Eze almost walk through and the midfielder then drifted past a static Egan and played it across. The ball went through Baldock’s legs and found BENTEKE. The striker hit a shot that Ramsdale would probably have saved but the ball hit Baldock and deflected up and into the net.

The bad start from United continued as they gave it away time after time and Palace were dominating. Eze continued to look a threat and Palace won two corners. United looked abject and a rare break saw Basham get down the right but it came to nothing.

Palace again went though the soft United midfield and Benteke had a chance but he hooked it at Ramsdale despite being given an age to pull it down and line it up.

Stevens did get a decent cross in but it was difficult for McGoldrick to divert it anywhere near goal as he was leaning back to get his head on it. Palace won a corner after a deflection wide and the ball stayed in the Blades area before Milijvojevic hit an effort that a Palace player flicked goalwards but Ramsdale did well to gather.

United had a bit of the ball down the right with Baldock doing well but his cross was headed nowhere near from Burke as the Palace keeper continued to have nothing to do.

Bryan put in a meaty challenge but got the ball and then Ward did likewise on Fleck and was actually yellow carded. Norwood’s delivery was awful as it went miles high and wide from the free kick. Norwood and then Bryan gave it away before Fleck was the next to waste a set piece hitting the first man in a corner.

Palace then had a flurry of chances to finish the game as Schlupp got away from Basham easily and sent a delightful cross over and Bryan lost Benteke completely and his header was saved superbly by Ramsdale as he went down to his right.

Eze then outfoxed Baldock with some lovely skill and worked a chance but shot wide when well placed before Zaha then came inside the hapless Basham but his shot was blocked by Egan. United were hanging on grimly and it was all Palace with no opportunities created or at the Palace keeper who hd been completely unemployed as half time came.

The second half started with a better spell at least in terms of united having a few moments with Berge coming inside and Mitchell dangling a leg but the Norwegian stayed on his feet when if he had gone down it would have been a spot kick you would think.

United won a corner but as the ball dropped to Egan, it was sliced awfully wide. It was a good chance.

Berge then chopped his man down as Palace broke before a cross from the right saw Basham do well to head over his own bar. From the resultant corner, the away side had a chance as Ramsdale did not gather but was fouled. Palace then had a good chance on 55 minutes as Fleck dithered yet again and Benteke robbed him and shot goalwards at the near post but Ramsdale touched it onto the post. It was another good chance for Palace to finish the game.

Osborn came on for Berge before Palace broke from another giveaway after McGoldrick went down desperately looking for a penalty and Eze fed Benteke but Bryan blocked well. United were trying to find something but it was now a game where Palace just had control and still looked the more likely with Eze and Zaha looking dangerous on the break. Zaha was crowded out before United made a change with young Jebbison coming on for Burke. United won a corner but as it dropped Basham sliced badly wide.

The game moved into the final 20 minutes and united had still not tested Guaita with two sliced efforts wide from defenders the sum of their efforts. Osborn then sent over a cross after good work from Baldock but Jebbison on the stretch headed well over.

Zaha was still causing issues and got away on the break but he was crowded out before Townsend had a shot narrowly wide. Palace were still the most threatening side by a long way and Zaha then came inside and turned away from two men before the ball came across and Ayew seemed set to score but hit Stevens and it went behind.

United players were flailing about on half way with two hitting the deck as Zaha ran away again but he could not find the final moment. Lundstram came on for Bryan but United were still not looking threatening at all. Norwood’s ball through was too hard for McGoldrick before Ramsdale had to bail out his side again as Ayew shot was pushed away.

Jebbison showed some nice skill with a drag back and won a free kick. Norwood’s effort was decent but just over but at least had the Palace keeper worried.

Palace won another corner before Benteke and Zaha worked space again and United could not hold up their pace and running power as the defence was constantly at full stretch.

On 88 minutes the game which had probably been over since minute one was properly confirmed. Lundstram was completely embarrassed by Eze with a sublime piece of skill and the sub for the Blades made a hopeless attempt to get back before EZE ran away. The midfielder cut inside and beat several men, sitting at least two on the deck before hitting a shot that hit Fleck and deflected beyond Ramsdale.

There was three minutes stoppage time and although Baldock kept probing United created nothing of note and once again had failed to have a single shot on target in another thoroughly appalling display.

United – Another disgusting display. They will talk about effort and trying but let’s be honest we were garbage with the ball and gave it away all game but we did not unsettle, press or harry the opponents again. We are miles off every other side at this level but we are not even competing anymore. It is embarrassing how bad we are individually and collectively. A very ordinary side like Palace has beat us 2-0 twice and really they should have been looking at 4 or 5-0 win’s on each occasion. They have run through us from the middle of the field time after time and Zaha/Eze were just different standard. Palace are a side that are no great shakes but won so easily. They scored early and really missed so many chances with Ramsdale keeping us in it. We did not have one shot on goal and other than two sliced efforts from defenders and the Norwood free kick over, we never got close. It was pathetic. A new contender for worst showing of the season but there has been so many. I get angry when people say it’s just that we are not good enough as I do agree but we have to tackle, fight and unsettle teams. I think the effort from the players has been border line disgusting. I am sorry to say. These lads cannot argue one bit if most are dumped. The only reason many are saying keep them is because we are going down a level or we cannot make too many changes? Why not? I would rather build something for the future. You know what I do not care if we do not go up for a season or two. We need to build something a side that can actually stay here if we ever go up. None of these players (save Ramsdale and maybe Berge) will play at this level ever again and most are on the downward trajectory. Why would we keep so many of them? If we come up, they are miles off this level so what is the point of keeping them. This is not a bit of a blip this is over a year of terrible form where players look half arsed, are unfit and just look disinterested. I loved most of these lads and it breaks my heart but many are done, finished. Even the lads we love McGoldrick and Basham – we might get another year but they are not the future. Honest triers like Baldock and Osborn are not really anywhere near top flight but you can argue we keep them whilst we build.

We are a sorry state of affairs and how we can contemplate keeping this guy is beyond me? If we appoint him then that is sorry to say an appalling and cheap decision that shows the club have no idea and no plan. I criticised Wilder and he has to take a large amount of blame for this season but it now seems he was everything for this side and team. Without him we are rudderless. We need someone to come in who is ruthless but we will get this guy or one of the unproven managers from Belgium and then they will keep the bulk of these and it will be a wasted season. Granted the Championship is dire but I am not even sure today we were much better than the abject Derby/Wednesday sides I saw early. All three could barely string two passes together. The notion the spine of this side will bounce back and be near the top next season I find laughable and I worry that a fair few fans think that. I may be wrong but as I say even if they do ok or come back up – then what? We need to act now and build the next side. Heard James Shield say Jokanovic might be back in the running but not sure he has got a clue really?

There are very few worth keeping (keeper the main one) but I would not care one bit if any other player left. The performance of the outfield players today was laughable. They looked like they could not run or even kick the ball – let alone try and score a goal. It was so bad it was untrue. If anything, we get worse as the season goes on!

The first half we were wretched. Once again half asleep to start the game. The midfield walked though time after time, defenders getting beat for skill and pace and Ramsdale having to bail us out time after time. The goal was poor from the midfield, Bryan tried to dive in and then awful from Egan and then no one got across. It was a bit unlucky but he was unmarked. They could have had lots more with Eze and Zaha running through us and we did nothing going the other way. The dreadful Burke was in full headless chicken mode but the midfield behind were even worse. Fleck and Norwood were laughable and Berge anonymous. We were so slow and it was like watching players who had played 3 or 4 games back-to-back against a side that was fresh. We are so slow and unfit and just get run off the park. Then other teams are far more skilled and have goal threats. We looked appalling. People will again say the effort was there. It was not we lost 50-50’s, we never ran and competed and then on the ball we were lazy and no one took responsibility. It was another gutless showing

Second half we had a few moments early with the Berge run and Egan’s bad effort. Palace then had a few chances with Benteke hitting the post and it became scrappy but not sure we looked like scoring. Palace then had many more chances and only poor finishing or Ramsdale kept us in it but we never looked like scoring save a few effort drifting wide/over. They constantly ran through us and looked like they could score any moment. Eventually they did. 2-0 hugely flattered us. It was pathetic. Insipid. Boring. Hopeless. This season does need to end but all those thinking all of a sudden August we are going to see this side turn it on and become a winning group then I think they are in for a shock. As I say I do not know but so many of these players just look done, shot. I am not sure with the ages of many what is the point of retaining so many but then moving so many on may be hard too. Certainly, we are not going to be ravaged in the summer with only Ramsdale and Berge going to draw interest. Noone is signing anyone else. O’Connell seems a long way from even playing again and I do sorry about his career long term after being out for so long and having so many setbacks to get back.

Wednesday going down was the highlight of today but does not take away what a depressing state of affairs it is down at S2. We look a complete mess on and off the field. The number of weeks going by with no movement, decision or plan for the manager, who is the chairman, the training ground and the academy means it is hard to be anything but despondent. I will renew of course (when they can sort that fiasco of a ticketing website out) and be back hopefully (maybe not all of us to begin with) but I am not someone thinking august it will all be better. We need decisive action the next few weeks and it needs to happen now. The apathy and lack of direction/planning seems staggering when Wilder was rumoured to want to leave since Xmas and we have had nothing in place or ready at all?
They got Chansiri we've got the fucking Prince. Take your prick.. Errrm pick.. Who's worse??

Deadbat how on earth do you find the motivation to write these reports. They are superb of course but Christ after today's showing I am amazed you can bring yourself to relive that miserable performance. The players could learn a bit from your effort!
!

Ratings:

Subs –

you were a bit generous to Burke

Can’t wait for the season to end tbh. Players must think the same... they are being outplayed to an embarrassing degree every match now. A proper summer break. A new manager. Regroup and go again with some fresh faces and a fresh approach. Winning games again even if in the championship has to be better than this.....

Ratings:

Subs –

I saw a clip on twitter yesterday of united v Bristol City 3 years ago. Fleck picked up the ball and drove forward, he looked about 2 stone lighter than he does now.
OK it was 3 years ago, but he's still only 29. The way he's let himself go is disgusting and I wouldn't be sorry to see him packed off.

Thanks for your efforts Deadbat. All credit to you for keeping these reports and pods going, fair play to you. To free up your Saturday evening you could write most of the match report and player ratings before KO. Better still, just cut and paste the report from last week’s defeat and change the name of the opposition - the same shite is being served up by the same players week after week.

Thanks for this Deadbeat.

Hard to argue with any of it.

In the past, I have always looked for green shoots even in the bad times, but I'm afraid with this shower of shit, there is hardly any. I've persevered all season (as we all have) but today was bad. No shots on target. Not one. In 90 minutes.

I thought we had a strong championship squad and would be back at it next season, but I'm really starting to wonder. Bryan, Norwood, Stevens, Fleck, Burke, Lundstram, Robinson, Osborn, Lowe, Jagielka, Mousset, aren't even top half Championship players I'm afraid. Wilder had a good first 11 but the 14 behind them weren't close to dislodging the first 11. The form of the first team has dropped off a cliff, Wilder was stubborn and tactically unwilling to change, plus buying players who are largely overpriced rubbish, and we have ended up with as many goals as points.

Someone has a huge job this close season, because this squad is quite simply, dismal.

Pod to come later…..

So impressed you can be bothered to write that much for so little.

Think the assertion we’re not much better than Wednesday is a little laughable TBF.

Its hard to compare I suppose due to the different levels but not such there is too much basis to challenge such an assertion other than we lose every week at a higher level rather than the Champ but if we played Weds tomorrow in a game would you be that confident we would brush them aside?

I really think those fans who think this side will be near the top of the Championship next year are going to be in for a rude awakening. The current Blades team are unfit, can't run and they are struggling to do the basics. Granted the Champ is inferior and lower but there is a lot more games and you get sucked into the dreadful standard you see most weeks.

I hadn't watched our last 2 or 3 games live and I wish I hadn't bothered today. Switched it off after 75 minutes as it was just excruciatingly bad.

As Deadbat says, pathetic and insipid. The first goal and rest of the first 20 minutes were horrific. Palace were not great, their players miscontrolled the ball out of play 3 times in the first 10 minutes, but it was just so easy for them. Our tackling is powder puff, our passing both short and long is piss poor, what has happened to us on set pieces? We used to be inventive and innovative in League 1, now we're completely clueless. Our players constantly gave it away or got robbed of the ball, or knocked off/brushed aside all the time. It was embarassing. What was Wilder thinking swapping Burke for Robinson? At least Robinson is actually a striker.

Its hard to compare I suppose due to the different levels but not such there is too much basis to challenge such an assertion other than we lose every week at a higher level rather than the Champ but if we played Weds tomorrow in a game would you be that confident we would brush them aside?

I really think those fans who think this side will be near the top of the Championship next year are going to be in for a rude awakening. The current Blades team are unfit, can't run and they are struggling to do the basics. Granted the Champ is inferior and lower but there is a lot more games and you get sucked into the dreadful standard you see most weeks.
You are totally the opposite to blade too long when it comes to making predictions about both Sheffield clubs. Let's see who will be our new manager and what our squad will look like in a few months time.

The closest thing to a comparison we have is the Bristol City cup game, but that was a match which - based on this board - split opinion more than any other. On the one hand we beat them, a (at the time) mid table championship side, in an unvalued competition, without getting out of a low gear and they never looked remotely like scoring; on the other hand, playing close to our strongest available XI, we needed a penalty and a sending off and still only beat them by a 1 goal margin, a side that finished only 4 points above Wednesday (removing the points deductions obviously), and even the most relentless optimist would struggle to assert that we looked anything other than f**king incompetent in the final third. I was one of the optimists at the time but on reflection, there's is certainly no compelling case there that we can "brush aside" Championship relegation fodder like Wednesday.

It’s just a bit of a ludicrous statement really, we both know that. We’re currently playing with a system which is completely nullified by opposition tactics. It’s a bit like the end of days under Adkins and a new manager has the ability to completely transform this team’s fortunes IMHO.

If the Prince and the management team at United let Heckingbottom become manager then whatever credit he has will be extinguished immediately.

As a team we have got worse under him as caretaker and Tindall as coach.

Numerous decisions in picking teams or substitutes have been atrocious, culminating in Lundstram today. Lundstrams efforts in stopping Eze prior to the 2nd goal just typifies his attitude and performances. We all know he's been off since Berge took his place and made his debut v Palace last season and echoed his feelings to the whole fan base after scoring his goal v Bournemouth at home.

FFS United, just don't include him in the squad anymore - put one of the U23's in the squad.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom