United’s pattern of history

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Webding

Reaction score
I’d love to think that Hecky is the man to DEFY HISTORY - but in case he’s not, this is just a quick reminder that we’re only at the start of our traditional decade of decline.

Set your expectations accordingly and enjoy it for what it is; the Sheffield United way. Hope for the best, expect the worst, and strap in for 8-9 years of manager turnover, new ways to cock things up and loyalty-point-busting trips to Sutton and Forest Green.

When I was young, managers were rarely sacked after a poor run of results or even a relegation. Clubs and managers generally honoured the contracts they signed. These contracts were seen as more than a legal piece of paper - they were seen as a pledge by the club to stick with their man regardless of early results. Nowadays I dont see the point of even signing a contract. Why not just agree wages and compo when the sacking occurs?

Everyone used to know that a good manager needs time to bring in his players and get them playing his way. Nowadays a new manager must hit the ground running if he wants to survive 20 games. Sometimes he isnt even allowed to make any signings.

Should we settle for crap though?

Before that graph starts we were NEVER crap, for almost a hundred years.

We're a top 20 club by any metric you wish to use over the course of football's existence .

We were in a Champions League place 18 months ago with the LMA Manager of the Year at the helm.
History would suggest that we are not a top 20 club as we have had limited time in the top division.

I’d love to think that Hecky is the man to DEFY HISTORY - but in case he’s not, this is just a quick reminder that we’re only at the start of our traditional decade of decline.

Set your expectations accordingly and enjoy it for what it is; the Sheffield United way. Hope for the best, expect the worst, and strap in for 8-9 years of manager turnover, new ways to cock things up and loyalty-point-busting trips to Sutton and Forest Green.

Why depress us like this?

History would suggest that we are not a top 20 club as we have had limited time in the top division.

That is factually wrong.

In almost any statistic you care to mention.
Seasons in the top flight, honours, attendances, stadium size etc etc
We are in the top 20 clubs in England, before the war we spent almost every season in the top flight.
My grandad used to say to me in the late 70’s,
it’s hard to believe United are playing in the 2nd tier. He said United were always nationally considered a top flight ever present.

However if you class history as starting in 1991 when the PL started….then agree we are pretty shit, massively under achieved.

That is factually wrong.

We are in the top 20 clubs in England, before the war we spent almost every season in the top flight.
it’s hard to believe United are playing in the 2nd tier. He said United were always nationally considered a top flight ever present.

However if you class history as starting in 1991 when the PL started….then agree we are pretty shit, massively under achieved.
During the war.... :D

If you think of the last two seasons as the hangover after a great party it becomes a lot more palatable.

If you think of the last two seasons as the hangover after a great party it becomes a lot more palatable.
But that means what we've got to come is a cold rainy Monday morning and we've got a shit week ahead at work.

That is factually wrong.

Even using the Premier League years, we're still comfortably a decent Championship club. I worry that the current board can't even promise us that.

That is factually wrong.

I already stated above that I had been corrected.

Up to mid seventies we were a traditional top flight club. Even with our record since then we still rank 18th.

What upsets me with this thread is that I'm 62 and the thought that I could be over 70 before we're back in the Premier League. Who knows if I'll be able to get to games then.

Should we settle for crap though?

Before that graph starts we were NEVER crap, for almost a hundred years.

We're a top 20 club by any metric you wish to use over the course of football's existence .

We were in a Champions League place 18 months ago with the LMA Manager of the Year at the helm.

The problem is that while we were good for almost 100 years, we’ve since been mediocre (at best) for about half the length of ‘the good time’. Where we are now is the norm, and you realistically need to be at least in your mid-50s to have known anything different.

Basically, the majority of our fans have only known the crap. It’s why we cope with it so well (!)

The problem is that while we were good for almost 100 years, we’ve since been mediocre (at best) for about half the length of ‘the good time’. Where we are now is the norm, and you realistically need to be at least in your mid-50s to have known anything different.

Basically, the majority of our fans have only known the crap. It’s why we cope with it so well (!)

Yeah but there's crap and then there's crap. I know your graph is tongue in cheek but quite realistic based on that press conference. We don't deserve THAT crap.

We've had more time in the top division, 62 seasons I think, than all the time in the other divisions combined so how do you make that out?

Unlike you are talking post 1976 where we've made an impressive attempt to reverse almost 90 years of history.

We've had more time in the top division, 62 seasons I think, than all the time in the other divisions combined so how do you make that out?

Unlike you are talking post 1976 where we've made an impressive attempt to reverse almost 90 years of history.
I have already responded twice that I was in error.

Skybet are offering 50/1 odds on us getting relegated this season. Come May the payoff from a tenner might be the only joy to get from this rotten season.

Back
Top Bottom