U23 CBs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFCScorecard

Reaction score
We have three CBs in the U23s who appear ready to step up to men's football, Kyron Gordon, Nickseon Gomis, and Kacper Lopata.

For me, it looks like Lopata will be heading on loan as he is not in Portugal. He likely wants to play, and Egan/Ahmedhodzic will be good depth at the central position in the 3.

Gomis and Gordon managed to get on the Portugal trip which presumably means they are penciled in as depth for the first team. If we go into the season with just the 4 senior CBs (Egan, Bash, Robbo, Ahmedhodzic) then we are more than likely going to have to rely on them at some point.

This is what I would expect our depth to look like with both of them involved:

InjuryLCBCBRCB
NoneAhmedhodzicEganBasham
AhmedhodzicRobinsonEganBasham
EganRobinsonAhmedhodzicBasham
BashamRobinsonEganAhmedhodzic
Ahmedhodzic/EganRobinsonBashamGordon
Ahmedhodzic/BashamRobinsonEganBasham
Ahmedhodzic/RobinsonGomisEganBasham
Egan/BashamRobinsonAhmedhodzicBasham
Egan/RobinsonGomisAhmedhodzicBasham
Basham/RobinsonAhmedhodzicEganGordon
Ahmedhodzic/Basham/EganRobinsonGomisGordon
Ahmedhodzic/Robinson/EganGomisBashamGordon
Ahmedhodzic/Basham/RobinsonGomisEganGordon
Egan/Basham/RobinsonGomisAhmedhodzicGordon

God help us with some of those latter scenarios.

We have three CBs in the U23s who appear ready to step up to men's football, Kyron Gordon, Nickseon Gomis, and Kacper Lopata.

For me, it looks like Lopata will be heading on loan as he is not in Portugal. He likely wants to play, and Egan/Ahmedhodzic will be good depth at the central position in the 3.

Gomis and Gordon managed to get on the Portugal trip which presumably means they are penciled in as depth for the first team. If we go into the season with just the 4 senior CBs (Egan, Bash, Robbo, Ahmedhodzic) then we are more than likely going to have to rely on them at some point.

InjuryLCBCBRCB

God help us with some of those latter scenarios.
Gomis will never play a Championship game for us, absolutely miles off that level
Gordon did ok when played last season, ideally he should go out on loan.
He was at Boston United in National North when recalled cos of lack of numbers
That is a hell of a jump, and it showed at times
Speaks volumes he was only given a one year contract this summer

Gomis will never play a Championship game for us, absolutely miles off that level
You might be right. We could rely on RND or Stevens in an emergency, or drop down to a two. And you never know, JOC could rise from the dead.

You wonder why he was invited to Portugal ahead of Lopata if he isn't being considered as possible depth. Maybe its just to make up the numbers in practice as Anel hasn't turned up yet.

Hopefully Gordon will get a L1 or L2 loan. Ditto to Gomis. Just stick a can be recalled on them.

We have Baldock, RND and Stevens in case of emergencies.

You might be right. We could rely on RND or Stevens in an emergency, or drop down to a two. And you never know, JOC could rise from the dead.

You wonder why he was invited to Portugal ahead of Lopata if he isn't being considered as possible depth. Maybe its just to make up the numbers in practice as Anel hasn't turned up yet.
Unless he's injured I reckon Lopata may be on trial somewhere with a view to a long term loan. Maybe Brunt as well.

Anel Egan RND

That would be the most “attacking” - quite a bit of pace.

Anel is a RCB/CB, hes always played at RCB hasnt he????

Anel is a RCB/CB, hes always played at RCB hasnt he????
He was playing LCB for Bordeaux, but he is right-footed from what I understand. Hard to see us dropping a fit Basham, and I presume he has been brought in to start given the investment, so I am assuming he start at LCB. All remains to be seen though as Robinson did play well towards the back end of last season.

I honestly think we'll see him play in all 3 CB positions unless Egan manages to continue his incredible fitness record.

I think it is genuinely to make up the numbers
Really hope he proves me wrong!!

He was playing LCB for Bordeaux, but he is right-footed from what I understand. Hard to see us dropping a fit Basham, and I presume he has been brought in to start given the investment, so I am assuming he start at LCB. All remains to be seen though as Robinson did play well towards the back end of last season.

I honestly think we'll see him play in all 3 CB positions unless Egan manages to continue his incredible fitness record.
Bash has only got a year left, and I think hes Bash's replacement, and cover for both him and Egan, at 23, hes going to end up on a 3/4yr deal, and I think we will still be looking for a LCB, hence the inclusion of the u23s boys, theres even a chance RND plays there with Egan and Lowe both here.

As Bergen Blade pointed out, you throw Norrington-Davies in there and you look more solid. I don't think Gomis comes anywhere near the team to be honest.

Even before Ahmedhodžić signs, you have Robinson, Norrington-Davies, Stevens, Lowe and Osborn for potentially 2 left sided spots. You'd probably have Lowe LCB and Osborn LWB before you turned to Gomis. Gomis needs to go on loan.

On the right you move Ahmedhodžić there and bring in Robinson on the left if Basham is out or Baldock comes in there and Bogle or Osborn comes into RWB.

However, this is where I think a one year deal for Andre Wisdom makes some sense. Low risk if you get a full pre-season into him and he gives some senior cover at RWB while Bogle recovers and also covers RCB at a low cost.

Best place for Gordon, Lopata and Gomis is a full season on loan somewhere.

Also helps Frecklington, Luther Williams and possibly Finlay Potter who is already gaining International honours, to further development.

Anel will be bash's replacement long term, surely..... it's short term that's the question

For me, JLT is the last cb you could justifiably drop right now. Was very good 2nd half of season and his aggression is very important

InjuryLCBCBRCB
giphy.gif

Youngsters like Gomis, Gordon and Lopata all have potential but have to go out on loan to League 1 level if they are to progress. The Championship has shown that you need players who can play centre back in terms of positional strength, physicality, height and aerial ability as well as being competent with the ball at your feet. It takes time to reach that level of ability and shoehorning full backs into those positions rarely works as they lack a number of the attributes required. Robinson is a good example he finished the season well but his start was very poor.

We've been spoilt with JOC, an exceptional player and probably one of the best centre backs ever to represent the Club. If you're playing with a 3 you need balance and that means a left footed player at LCB. RND put in his best performance of the season at LWB in his last game. Lets not hinder his development by trying to convert a natural full back who as others have said is still working on his positional sense. He should only be used as a LCB in an emergency IMO if we are to get the best out of him.

Last seasons injuries showed we lack quality cover at centre back. We need to bring in a left footed LCB to replace Davies who lacked physicality. Its said we are looking at Branthwaite at Everton on loan. He ticks all the boxes 6 foot 5 strong in the air. Along with Anel, Egan, Bash and Robinson that would be 3 from 5 providing cover and competition.

Didn’t Gordon get MOTM in a league game this season?

Didn’t Gordon get MOTM in a league game this season?
He did but it was a bit dubious in fairness. I don't think he's ready to be regularly relied upon. He needs to play in League One for a season, make a few daft errors and learn the game. Maybe next year if he does well.

As previously mentioned it is important that all our young players are tied to extended contracts before they go anywhere.

From what I saw of Gordon last season he’s not close to playing for a championship team aiming for promotion. That doesn’t make him a bad player by any means, just not what we need. He’d be one id be looking to get out to L2 or L1 and gain regular 1st team football. At 20 years old he needs to do what MGW did and take his career into his own hands & gain experience

We’re still one CB short for me. A less angry / injury prone version of Charlie Goode

They could probably all do with going out on loan in league 1/2.

You’d imagine a L1 side might take a punt after Gordon acquitted himself well in a championship play off chase or lopata impressed for Southend.

Regular first team football should do them the world of good. And it might explain the our reported interest in Ciaran Clarke

40 proper games off football would do them more much good than a few appearances for us next season

I’m more than happy to load up L1 with our kids to scupper another teams promotion chances. With the signings made Derby would be great for Jebbo.
It would make a lot of sense loaning a couple to Derby.

Maybe we should try to send Gomis out to Bordeaux, I hear they are in need of a LCB.

Back
Top Bottom