U21s v Millwall

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Watching this & it’s shockingly bad. Getting bullied/pressed with high energy & continually coughing up possession.

Watching this & it’s shockingly bad. Getting bullied/pressed with high energy & continually coughing up possession.
It’s another makeshift line up for us same as the Peterborough match presumably because with senior lads away some more of the juniors are making up the numbers in first team training. Only Hampson is a natural midfielder in that side Easton was a midfielder earlier in his career at Celtic but was signed as and has played as a CB for us and Tinsdale is a left back. They’ll get something out of the experience of playing in midfield in terms of their development but it’s not conducive to us being as good in possession as we normally are.

Hampson got smashed, was down for nearly 5 mins, we went to pieces after that

Reactions: MKY
It’s another makeshift line up for us same as the Peterborough match presumably because with senior lads away some more of the juniors are making up the numbers in first team training. Only Hampson is a natural midfielder in that side Easton was a midfielder earlier in his career at Celtic but was signed as and has played as a CB for us and Tinsdale is a left back. They’ll get something out of the experience of playing in midfield in terms of their development but it’s not conducive to us being as good in possession as we normally are.

YOU PLAY MIDFIELD THEN

Ruined by the rain and the temp went from 15 to -10 in an hour.

Don’t get Utds tactics. Our goalkeeper got more touches than most of the outfield.

They need to have a bit of direct approach at times I think. Too much passing side to side and backwards thwarts opportunity to shoot at goal.

Reality check
Some really poor performances this evening
Very disappointing
The U21s are finding it difficult against teams that are big, athletic, quick and direct.

We're developing a side of 11 allrounders. All with a decent touch, but only average in terms of athleticism. Playing style is average as well, big room for improvement when it comes to passing patterns and movement. Millwall looked pretty comfortable most of the game.

The team has lost some important players and some are being moved around into positions that aren't their best. Captain Hampson is a good RCM. Normally he gets forward well, making numerous runs on and off the ball and scores goals. With Peck, Arblaster, Staniland and Neal unavailable, he's being asked to play holding midfield and he's usually poor. Not the type to dictate play, average passing and lacks strength and presence.

Blacker looks like a forward trying to adapt to a midfield role. Poor defensively and tonight not able to show his dribbling from a deeper LCM position. Tinsdale is a clever player, but disappeared as the match went on.

Pitan is one I have had some hope for. A youth international CB and he's a decent size and normally composed on the ball. He had a nightmare tonight. Barrett and Easton were the wide centre backs. Again two allrounders who struggle to stand out.

Marsh showed his class on some occasions, but he's going to need a few weeks to get back to his best. Him and Macedo are good at coming short, doing clever turns, but Millwall let them do that and concentrated on crowding them out when they got into the box.

I like Okyere who came on as a late sub. A rare athlete among a lot of mediocrity in that respect.

The U21s are finding it difficult against teams that are big, athletic, quick and direct.

We're developing a side of 11 allrounders. All with a decent touch, but only average in terms of athleticism. Playing style is average as well, big room for improvement when it comes to passing patterns and movement. Millwall looked pretty comfortable most of the game.

The team has lost some important players and some are being moved around into positions that aren't their best. Captain Hampson is a good RCM. Normally he gets forward well, making numerous runs on and off the ball and scores goals. With Peck, Arblaster, Staniland and Neal unavailable, he's being asked to play holding midfield and he's usually poor. Not the type to dictate play, average passing and lacks strength and presence.

Blacker looks like a forward trying to adapt to a midfield role. Poor defensively and tonight not able to show his dribbling from a deeper LCM position. Tinsdale is a clever player, but disappeared as the match went on.

Pitan is one I have had some hope for. A youth international CB and he's a decent size and normally composed on the ball. He had a nightmare tonight. Barrett and Easton were the wide centre backs. Again two allrounders who struggle to stand out.

Marsh showed his class on some occasions, but he's going to need a few weeks to get back to his best. Him and Macedo are good at coming short, doing clever turns, but Millwall let them do that and concentrated on crowding them out when they got into the box.

I like Okyere who came on as a late sub. A rare athlete among a lot of mediocrity in that respect.
I thought Millwall managed the game really well, defensively strong throughout.
Okyere impressed me too, been generally good this season.
A rare bright spot on a real off day.

The defence were woeful and our build up in attack was very pedestrian and predictable. Milwall moved the ball quickly into space for players to run onto, we often passed it to players stood still with their backs to their marker. This constantly resulted in back passes as we'd closed the door on ourselves. I can't remember who our number 3 was but he constantly got into great positions with the ball high up the pitch, then never crossed it, it was just endless back passes, killing our attack and taking the strikers out of the game. He reminded me of Baldock to that extent. I was getting so irritated by him wasting a great crossing opportunity each time he got the ball.

A totally different performance to the Peterborough game and no one really came out of this with much credit. Amisah was the busier keeper by our own doing due to the endless negative back passes. Sadly, to some regards they resembled the first team today. No defence, no movement or clue going forward and constant simple passes going astray. Pointless safety first possession football by passing back all the time. By the time Milwall scored the second it was only going to go one way and they were lucky that it was only 3-0 at half time.

I'll give them their dues that it was a make shift team, but I'm not seeing any potential first team players on this showing. Not even remotely close to football league levels.

I can't remember who our number 3 was but he constantly got into great positions with the ball high up the pitch, then never crossed it, it was just endless back passes, killing our attack and taking the strikers out of the game. He reminded me of Baldock to that extent. I was getting so irritated by him wasting a great crossing opportunity each time he got the ball.
Zain Tahir - a centre back for the U18s.

Back
Top Bottom