Travelling with Shred

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Can't cut and paste but there's a good thread on Mad (see link from Linz on RIP thread) and a terrific story from on poster where a group of Blades arrived at a service station in a mini bus and immediately had a mass of Chelsea fans surround them. They had to get out of the minibus before it got tipped over and as it threatened to get lively they noticed the big man's coach pull up. This poster said that on seeing what was about to happen Shred and a couple of other Blades strode over and walked straight into the mass of Chelsea lads. Like a big Grizzly bear he raised his arms in the air and roared! The fuckers scattered without a punch being thrown.
A group of bruised and battered Villa fans (the previous target of the Chels mob) stood and stared i amazement as the scene unfolded in front of them.

You can just picture it can't you?
Top, top stuff
I can just picture that. Great story

I did not know this fella, but vaguely recognise him from the picture. It would have been good to have made his acquaintance.

Somebody needs to carry on his loyal and good work for the benefit of all of us.

HH
My 16 year old son follows us to every match. They've run another minibus today. He's converted lots of pork and leeds fans over the years. He's a mini Shred in the making, though there's a lot he could have learned from the big man.

UTB

Have know him a long time, early 70s but the the Switzerland tour, I will always remember him hugging me as I came into the ground in Basel. RIP Shred.

I can just picture that. Great story

I posted this on Blades Mad. I thought it was hilarious at the time as a 17 year old but looking back it's scary to think what could have happened if Shreds coach didn't pull up at that precise moment. Our minibus had a mixture of 16-17 year olds like me and Chris Booth (RIP also) and 50 odd year olds.

Shreds coach pulled in and he got off with a couple of other lads (I think one of them was either called or known as Toby). They walked slowly into this group of Chelsea fans, Shred raised his arms in a muscle flexing motion and roared at them.
Shred wasn't nasty or violent but he just had that look about him, especially 30 years ago that said "Don't effing mess wi me pal".

There was a slight pause for a few seconds as the Chelsea fans looked at him, then looked at each other, you could almost hear them thinking "Errr ok which one of us is going to have a pop at him first"
None of them did, and as Shred roared again they scattered in ten different directions with an entire car park laughing at them.

I posted this on Blades Mad. I thought it was hilarious at the time as a 17 year old but looking back it's scary to think what could have happened if Shreds coach didn't pull up at that precise moment. Our minibus had a mixture of 16-17 year olds like me and Chris Booth (RIP also) and 50 odd year olds.

Shreds coach pulled in and he got off with a couple of other lads (I think one of them was either called or known as Toby). They walked slowly into this group of Chelsea fans, Shred raised his arms in a muscle flexing motion and roared at them.
Shred wasn't nasty or violent but he just had that look about him, especially 30 years ago that said "Don't effing mess wi me pal".

There was a slight pause for a few seconds as the Chelsea fans looked at him, then looked at each other, you could almost hear them thinking "Errr ok which one of us is going to have a pop at him first"
None of them did, and as Shred roared again they scattered in ten different directions with an entire car park laughing at them.
Soz JJ - would have credited it to you if I had managed to get it back on my phone and seen who posted it. Was one of my favourite one's on there - but I don't have a login to Mad
Great story, feller :)

Brilliant

Went a few times on his buses. He never charged me for my kids seats.

Love the way he always had a boozer organised away from the ground. Ones that spring to mind are
1) One in Denton on something resembling the Chatsworth estate before the semi with Arsenal at Old Trafford. There was a big grass area at the side and a game of 35 a side broke out. Seemed weird to walk into a boozer at 10 o'clock on a Sunday and see loads of bar staff lined up waiting for us.
RIP Shred, top bloke, will be sadly missed and a hard act to follow

Pretty sure he had the same one lined up for the Newcastle semi too.... (a wet miserable day, but a cheery atmosphere in the pub)... and has used it for other games in Gtr M'cr. (In fact, weren't there 2 pubs visited for one of those semis....?)

my memory of both those semis and the pub was a sort of ritual of the staff lining up in front of the pub to greet us, then lining up after to wave us off as if they were under orders from Grandma, to say goodbye to long lost relatives they wouldn't see again for years... Shred made friends everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom