transfers in

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fair points but trouble is, we are League 1 at the end of the day.

Players will go anywhere if you pay them. Dicko signed for Wolves last season for example. Personally I wouldn't sign anyone at the moment considering we took time to settle down this season. Let's go with what we have and wait till January

Fair points but trouble is, we are League 1 at the end of the day.

I still think the defence will take care of itself with the players we've got in this League given what Clough's shown thus far organisation wise. It's a real game changer we're still missing, dare I say, a Ched who can make a goal out of nothing. Hopefully, Wallace will get up to full fitness and stay there, if not, I'd also be concerned that we need an Alan Judge type playmaker in there.

We are a League 1 club with mid-Championship attendances and income streams.
We are supposedly debt-free and have a new Joint-Chairman investing "game changing" sums into the team.
We've had an unexpected, unbudgeted windfall of several big cup matches and an FA Cup Semi Final.
We've sold a player for circa £2.5M and not yet signed (or even made a bid for?) a replacement.

Financially, we should now be in a position where we can bully smaller clubs into selling us their best players.
Just as we ourselves have and continue to be coerced into selling ours, apparently whether we want to or not.
Why can we only sign players who are unwanted or unproven or recovering from injury?
The likes of Preston, Peterborough and Orient should be terrified that we're going to come in for their stars.
Just as we seem to be constantly an unwanted phone call away from disaster.

It'll be the usual, people building themselves up into a frenzy throughout the day then accusing the club of lacking ambition when we don't bring in 'marquee' signings.

Bottom line is, whilst we'd always like more quality, is this squad really that far short where bringing no-one in today would be a disaster ?

Yes ...... if the target we're aiming for IS automatic promotion. We are definitely a few players short of that level of quality.

If, however, we want to risk trying to achieve promotion on the cheap ..... then we're ok, but its a huge risk because we don't have GOALS in this squad at the moment.
UTB & FTP

We are supposedly debt-free and have a new Joint-Chairman investing "game changing" sums into the team.
We've had an unexpected, unbudgeted windfall of several big cup matches and an FA Cup Semi Final.
We've sold a player for circa £2.5M and not yet signed (or even made a bid for?) a replacement.

Financially, we should now be in a position where we can bully smaller clubs into selling us their best players.
Just as we ourselves have and continue to be coerced into selling ours, apparently whether we want to or not.
Why can we only sign players who are unwanted or unproven or recovering from injury?
The likes of Preston, Peterborough and Orient should be terrified that we're going to come in for their stars.

It's fine talking about the Maguire fee, cup run etc but we're still subject to the financial fair play rules.

Seems to me that whilst Clough says he wants a tight 19/20 man squad to work with, we have a lot of players such as McGinn, Porter, Butler who will be on too much money for sitting in the stands and this can only affect bringing in the big 'game changers' we're all talking about. If he does bring in 2/3 that will make a difference to use his words, we will still probably have to ship a few out to balance the books.

It's fine talking about the Maguire fee, cup run etc but we're still subject to the financial fair play rules.

Seems to me that whilst Clough says he wants a tight 19/20 man squad to work with, we have a lot of players such as McGinn, Porter, Butler who will be on too much money for sitting in the stands and this can only affect bringing in the big 'game changers' we're all talking about. If he does bring in 2/3 that will make a difference to use his words, we will still probably have to ship a few out to balance the books.

Not in League One. Owners are allowed to inject extra cash to boost turnover/wages if they choose to.
Bournemouth and Brentford both managed to fund Promotion winning campaigns on average crowds of 7,000 and a turnover to match.
Also the income from the cup run should be included in our turnover figure for FFP purposes:-

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/latest-news/the-benefactor-model-permitted-in-league-1-and-2

I agree that Clough will need to move a few players out if he's allowed to sign 2 or 3 more.
I'm sure that he knows that too.
McGinn could be allowed to leave now. Butler and Porter only if we make new signings.

Last edited:
Players will go anywhere if you pay them. Dicko signed for Wolves last season for example. Personally I wouldn't sign anyone at the moment considering we took time to settle down this season. Let's go with what we have and wait till January

At the rate we are scoring that'll be in 17 goals time.

Keep saying it, we are desperate for a striker, it's embarrassing that Barnsley were allowed to steal a march on Lita. I'd swap Higdon, Porter and McNulty for Lita on a one year deal.

If you go over what is the big punishment, a transfer embargo what does that matter if you have just brought the player or players in to win the league.

At the rate we are scoring that'll be in 17 goals time.

Keep saying it, we are desperate for a striker, it's embarrassing that Barnsley were allowed to steal a march on Lita. I'd swap Higdon, Porter and McNulty for Lita on a one year deal.

Let's just get another couple of strikers because it's obviously that which is the problem. Not that we don't create many chances obviously.

I have wanted us to sign a left footed winger/wide midfielder for a while. Our 4 wingers (JCR, JM, RF, BD) are all right footed and bar Murphy all have to cut in more often than not when on the left. A genuine left footer could offer something different.
Pope would be a genuine left footer :)

Let's just get another couple of strikers because it's obviously that which is the problem. Not that we don't create many chances obviously.

So if we don't create enough chances then there's still a problem. Surely that contradicts your 'let's wait until January' theory?

So if we don't create enough chances then there's still a problem. Surely that contradicts your 'let's wait until January' theory?

I think the bigger problem is that this team needs to gel. Nigel Clough teams have never been expansive so just get used to it. This a bigger issue than bringing in another striker for me. Who knows, once we have a settled midfield we might create chances. go figure.

Only 2 weeks ago everyone was heralding Higdon as the man, why not give him a chance to integrate.

I think the bigger problem is that this team needs to gel. Nigel Clough teams have never been expansive so just get used to it. This a bigger issue than bringing in another striker for me. Who knows, once we have a settled midfield we might create chances. go figure.

Only 2 weeks ago everyone was heralding Higdon as the man, why not give him a chance to integrate.

But how long can we afford to wait? Wolves won their first 5 last year, and most teams who go on to succeed get off to a flyer. The year we went into Prem we won our first 9 or something didn't we? No good being sat in November saying 'right now our team has gelled' of we're sat 15 points behind the auto spots. I think there's been enough evidence in this handful of games that goals will be our downfall if it is not addressed.

It is easy to spot the difference a good player having a bad game and an average/bad player having a normal game. Higdon doesn't look like he will contribute much to the 70+ goals required for promotion, unless he turns it around instantly. Sadly we can't afford that risk as we only hae a few hours to get someone else in.

It seems clear Nigel has acknowledged this to the board, whether they are willing to do anything about it, however, is another matter all together.

All Summer most of us have been saying "In Nigel we trust. He knows what he's doing. He knows what he needs".
Now he's issued what seems very much like a cry for help from the board, people are saying "Nah. Don't sign anyone else. Wrong time to sign anyone. Wait until January. Go with what we've got. Give them time to gel. etc..". Why!?

In Nigel I trust. My trust for the NEW board hangs in the balance.

All Summer most of us have been saying "In Nigel we trust. He knows what he's doing. He knows what he needs".
Now he's issued what seems very much like a cry for help from the board, people are saying "Nah. Don't sign anyone else. Wrong time to sign anyone. Wait until January. Go with what we've got. Give them time to gel. etc..". Why!?

In Nigel I trust. My trust for the NEW board hangs in the balance.
Although i agree with the statement,what we don't want is us panic buying and over paying for someone,and thats what tends to happen at this stage of proceedings.

AMEN.

Although i agree with the statement,what we don't want is us panic buying and over paying for someone,and thats what tends to happen at this stage of proceedings.
We should have these people in already and not be panicking on the last day though

The other train of thought is that some good players only become available at the last minute.
As higher-placed clubs make their signings and offload players to make room in their squads.
Or as poorer clubs take their last chance to raise some cash before January.
That's been a line that's been consistently touted as a reason why we haven't spent much money yet.

We sold Maguire weeks ago and haven't yet signed a replacement.
The bid for Freeman and Bennett fell through weeks ago and we haven't yet signed any alternatives.
It seems to me unlikely that Clough would be advocating panic-buying and paying over the odds.
More likely that he's identified worthwhile targets at a fair price and asked the board to acquire them for him.

The other train of thought is that some good players only become available at the last minute.
As higher-placed clubs make their signings and offload players to make room in their squads.
Or as poorer clubs take their last chance to raise some cash before January.
That's been a line that's been consistently touted as a reason why we haven't spent much money yet.

We sold Maguire weeks ago and haven't yet signed a replacement.
The bid for Freeman and Bennett fell through weeks ago and we haven't yet signed any alternatives.
It seems to me unlikely that Clough would be advocating panic-buying and paying over the odds.
More likely that he's identified worthwhile targets at a fair price and asked the board to acquire them for him.
Can't disagree with anything there mate.Well put.

P.S. lets hope you're right aswell.

Back
Top Bottom