Too long a Blade?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
I'm sure Danny Wilson is aware that we need another quick striker and I'm sure he'll be looking to bring someone in on loan, hence the enquiry with Leeds. I also think that Chris Porter shouldn't be anywhere near the first team and that there have been far worse chairman than Kevin McCabe and far better managers than Danny Wilson.

However I have resolved not to let these issues affect my day to day life and to concentrate only on the things that I can do in order to maintain my families day to day well being. I find this approach less frustrating than constantly worrying about the club management, transfers etc something over which I have absolutely no influence at all.

Bizarrely, I am happy to entrust that role to the manager, who I think has done a decent job so far, safe in the knowledge that irrespective of Sheffield Uniteds position in the football pyramid or who plays for them, I will always support them. I am now completely ambivalent, as I know whatever I am stuck with them and they are stuck with me. At matches I am still as enthusiastic in my support as I have always been, yet whilst I want us to be competitive at what ever level we play, I really don't worry what level that is.

I blame this outlook on an subconscious defence mechanism brought about by experiences of the last forty years. But am I the only one that feels like this?

No mate, it's exactly what happens after over 50 years of unfulfilled promises.. Eventually one becomes so ground own by it that it no longer hurts( as much). I'll be there tomorrow.

If Kitson gets injured ,needs resting who would you put in the side ? Porter could play alongside Forte as he did well with Miller and Evans ,the mistake was playing him with Kitson.

Well said 1889 agree with everything apart from the Porter statement. Porter does bring something to the game. His work rate is great and he gives the defence something to think about.

He's not a 90 minutes man or a prolific scorer but can definately influence the game in different ways. I wouldn't start him but at the moment he's a decent squad player to have on board

I'm sure Danny Wilson is aware that we need another quick striker and I'm sure he'll be looking to bring someone in on loan, hence the enquiry with Leeds. I also think that Chris Porter shouldn't be anywhere near the first team and that there have been far worse chairman than Kevin McCabe and far better managers than Danny Wilson.

However I have resolved not to let these issues affect my day to day life and to concentrate only on the things that I can do in order to maintain my families day to day well being. I find this approach less frustrating than constantly worrying about the club management, transfers etc something over which I have absolutely no influence at all.

Bizarrely, I am happy to entrust that role to the manager, who I think has done a decent job so far, safe in the knowledge that irrespective of Sheffield Uniteds position in the football pyramid or who plays for them, I will always support them. I am now completely ambivalent, as I know whatever I am stuck with them and they are stuck with me. At matches I am still as enthusiastic in my support as I have always been, yet whilst I want us to be competitive at what ever level we play, I really don't worry what level that is.

I blame this outlook on an subconscious defence mechanism brought about by experiences of the last forty years. But am I the only one that feels like this?

I can concur with a lot that you say except "yet whilst I want us to be competitive at what ever level we play, I really don't worry what level that is."

So you'd be happy if we were in the Blue Square Premier? Probably not, but I put it to you that this happy with anything mentality is why SUFC have failed consistently since the 1950's. Perhaps somehow successive chairman and managers - DB/NW excepted, have tapped into this as this culture has permeated through to them?

Personally I want someone who was inspirational as Shankly and Clough were when they each went to Liverpool and Derby respectively. And to say, "I am ambitious, mediocrity is not an option. I intend to make Sheffield United the best team in Yorkshire - consistently, and then one of the top ten in England. Yeah a mission like that buys me in, bugger mediocrity.

In the meantime and under the circumstances I think DW is doing as well as most, but not sure if he'll get us promoted.

I, like many other Blades I am sure, feel that we are going through one of the tougher periods of our recent history, and in general terms we are likely to be a second tier club, who in good years might flirt with the Premier League and in down times find themselves in League One.

Sadly, I blame the ambivalence (or apathy for some) on the lack of transparency from the top within SUFC. It is not just the Blades, it is football in general. I bet that most people on here are less interested in football now than they were say even 5 years ago. Part of that is due to the Blades' recent travails, but part of that is to do with how money has made such a difference to the competitive nature of the game.

The fact that we sold our best player to Reading (who barely get bigger attendances for their home games two divisions higher in the biggest league in the world - allegedly) is such an indictment on the short-term, money-obsessed clubs and players associated with football.

I don't blame the players - all of us would go and work somewhere else for much more money - but as a sport, it has become greedy in the desire to bring instant success - and this comes from the people within it (and out of it, if you include agents) but most of all, the Premier League and the brand that broadcasters all over the world will pay astronomical figures for the product of football.

The Premier League and football has become a brand - associated with being wealthy, rich and famous. Sheffield United are no longer part of that brand for the moment, which is why it feels so average.

UTB

Not sure I agree about Porter but you are bang on with the rest.

COYRAWW

Alchohol usually helps most of us ignore what actually has happened on the pitch anyway.

So you'd be happy if we were in the Blue Square Premier? Probably not, but I put it to you that this happy with anything mentality is why SUFC have failed consistently since the 1950's. Perhaps somehow successive chairman and managers - DB/NW excepted, have tapped into this as this culture has permeated through to them?

Personally I want someone who was inspirational as Shankly and Clough were when they each went to Liverpool and Derby respectively. And to say, "I am ambitious, mediocrity is not an option. I intend to make Sheffield United the best team in Yorkshire - consistently, and then one of the top ten in England. Yeah a mission like that buys me in, bugger mediocrity.

In the meantime and under the circumstances I think DW is doing as well as most, but not sure if he'll get us promoted.

No, you're right about The Blue Square Premier, but realistically I really can't see us going out of the Football League, save for some major financial collapse brought about by irresponsible spending on players and wages by a frivolous Chairman chasing the Premiership dream............No, that definitely won't happen!

What I meant was that I accept the clubs current debts and financial restrictions are not going to bring sustainable Premiership Football to Bramall Lane and I'm afraid sadly the Bill Shankly and Brian Clough era is firmly in the past. Football today is about financial backing, Sky Sports, the big four and the Champions League. To be honest I'm more than happy watching United competing in the lower leagues against clubs on a similar footing, producing players through the Academy and bringing them through the first team. Maybe it's unambitious, but I'd rather be cheering 'Billy Smith from Beighton' than 'Alfonso Estevez from River Plate'.

So until the Premiership bubble bursts and football becomes more about ability and less about finance, I'm more than happy watching my team in any league. Because they are my team, always have been, always will be and I have to be realistic about what they can achieve in the current Football climate. For the record, come the revolution and the money's all gone, I think Sheffield Uniteds Academy investment and nurturing of local young talent will be seen as a very shrewd move and the blueprint for how successful clubs should be run.

UTB

No, you're right about The Blue Square Premier, but realistically I really can't see us going out of the Football League, save for some major financial collapse brought about by irresponsible spending on players and wages by a frivolous Chairman chasing the Premiership dream............No, that definitely won't happen!

What I meant was that I accept the clubs current debts and financial restrictions are not going to bring sustainable Premiership Football to Bramall Lane and I'm afraid sadly the Bill Shankly and Brian Clough era is firmly in the past. Football today is about financial backing, Sky Sports, the big four and the Champions League. To be honest I'm more than happy watching United competing in the lower leagues against clubs on a similar footing, producing players through the Academy and bringing them through the first team. Maybe it's unambitious, but I'd rather be cheering 'Billy Smith from Beighton' than 'Alfonso Estevez from River Plate'.

So until the Premiership bubble bursts and football becomes more about ability and less about finance, I'm more than happy watching my team in any league. Because they are my team, always have been, always will be and I have to be realistic about what they can achieve in the current Football climate. For the record, come the revolution and the money's all gone, I think Sheffield Uniteds Academy investment and nurturing of local young talent will be seen as a very shrewd move and the blueprint for how successful clubs should be run.

UTB

Yes an interesting perspective. But Stoke, Swansea, Norwich and Southampton show what can still be done. Whether these do a Wigan and stay for any length of time remains to be seen but Tony Pulis and his Chairman seem to be doing something right.

Where you provide a new view is in highlighting that clubs may start to divide into a number of 'types'. These types might be:
1. Preserve PL status (and belief) at all costs viz Leeds, Wednesday, and now QPR. Could well lead to serious financial problems.
2. Have a 'sensible' sugar daddy who whilst not following agenda 1 is perhaps prepared to back his carefully chosen managers - gives rise to yo-yo clubs e.g Reading, West Brom too good for the Championship, not good enough for the PL.
3. Clubs follow their fate but manage the consequences carefully, often with a fan as owner/chairman this may lead to many wilderness years but the club should survive e.g. the Blades, Ipswich
4. As 3 but clubs see lots of owners and could implode e.g. Portsmouth
5. Clubs with super rich owners and develop a profile that means they can't really fail e.g. Man C, Chelsea.
6. Similar to 5 but secondary tier clubs that are still very large and can readily stay or get back to the PL i.e. Spurs, Everton, Newcastle.

How do you feel when you have been to the lane and watched us lose? I get really pissed off with myself for letting it ruin my Saturday evening. Does it roll off the back now? I'm trying to get an insight into how I will feel in the future watching us lose!

It still spoils the weekend, but not half as much as it used to and the cat has far fewer bruises these days :)

I agree with the OP in a lot of regards. The problem I have is being surrounded by pigs in the working environment. However we do has a MASSIVE impact come Monday morning.

It's fucking brilliant being the one wearing a black armband and organising a funeral procession through the office when they get relegated, or sticking up headlines from the Green Un or Star at times of great distress for them. It's quite different when we are the ones being shit. Not surprisingly they don't forget and I get it back in spades (wouldn't have it any other way to be honest) when times are hard for us.

I have found over the years, the further away you are from the "rivalry" the more ambivalent you can be.

I agree with 1899 but have a couple of points to make.

As someone else on here said - its the hope that kills you. The nearer we are to any form of success the worse my weekend is when we lose. For example MK Dons away was worse this year than Coventry at home. I am now resigned to a top 6 place this year I'm afraid.

But I'm also guilty of the arrogance hich we accuse fans of other clubs of. I don't like it but I can't help it. I believe we should not be in the same division as Bury and Hartlepool and it really pisses me off selling our players to Reading and Hull and so on. And that Wigan, Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley and Blackpool have been far more successful than us recently.

So in this context the last play off final was the worst nightmare, so near yet so far so good at times yet so unlucky ....and losing to Huddersfield.

So my hope is that we will get out of this division, my aspiration that we compete well in the Championship and get one over on both Wednesday and Huddersfield.

That will keep me going for now

Yes an interesting perspective. But Stoke, Swansea, Norwich and Southampton show what can still be done. Whether these do a Wigan and stay for any length of time remains to be seen but Tony Pulis and his Chairman seem to be doing something right.

Where you provide a new view is in highlighting that clubs may start to divide into a number of 'types'. These types might be:
1. Preserve PL status (and belief) at all costs viz Leeds, Wednesday, and now QPR. Could well lead to serious financial problems.
2. Have a 'sensible' sugar daddy who whilst not following agenda 1 is perhaps prepared to back his carefully chosen managers - gives rise to yo-yo clubs e.g Reading, West Brom too good for the Championship, not good enough for the PL.
3. Clubs follow their fate but manage the consequences carefully, often with a fan as owner/chairman this may lead to many wilderness years but the club should survive e.g. the Blades, Ipswich
4. As 3 but clubs see lots of owners and could implode e.g. Portsmouth
5. Clubs with super rich owners and develop a profile that means they can't really fail e.g. Man C, Chelsea.
6. Similar to 5 but secondary tier clubs that are still very large and can readily stay or get back to the PL i.e. Spurs, Everton, Newcastle.

The frustrating thing is that until we got relegated, McCabe seemed to be following plan 2 to the letter.
Steady growith and a sensible level of sustainable funding for the manager of his choice.
We were well on course to have easily the best team in The Championship on affordable wages and a proven manager with an unrivalled track record of getting teams promoted.
He then suddenly, inexplicably changed course and adopted plan 1. I.e. A short-term attempt to attain Premier League status at all costs which has lead to serious financial problems.

How do you feel when you have been to the lane and watched us lose? I get really pissed off with myself for letting it ruin my Saturday evening. Does it roll off the back now? I'm trying to get an insight into how I will feel in the future watching us lose!

Yeah of course I'm pissed off but it wears of pretty quick. I go because I always have, as have the generations before me since 1889. So its not just about the performance on the pitch for me, its about the whole experience, the atmosphere and tradition. I think the fact that I don't live in Sheffield now also makes returning that bit more special and nostalgic. Despite the disappointments Bramall Lane holds some amazing memories for me, including happy times spent with family no longer around. It's also about sharing all of this with my son and seeing him falling in love with the whole unique experience of being on the Kop, with thousands of people all willing and urging the exact same thing as him, just as I did forty years ago with my Dad. Experiences his Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea supporting peers will sadly never know or even begin to understand.

So I guess, as you get older it becomes about more than just the result, I feel blessed to be a Sheffield United supporter for all of the reasons above, would never change and have long since realised that win lose or draw there are nevertheless far more important things in my life.

Yeah of course I'm pissed off but it wears of pretty quick. I go because I always have, as have the generations before me since 1889. So its not just about the performance on the pitch for me, its about the whole experience, the atmosphere and tradition. I think the fact that I don't live in Sheffield now also makes returning that bit more special and nostalgic. Despite the disappointments Bramall Lane holds some amazing memories for me, including happy times spent with family no longer around. It's also about sharing all of this with my son and seeing him falling in love with the whole unique experience of being on the Kop, with thousands of people all willing and urging the exact same thing as him, just as I did forty years ago with my Dad. Experiences his Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea supporting peers will sadly never know or even begin to understand.

So I guess, as you get older it becomes about more than just the result, I feel blessed to be a Sheffield United supporter for all of the reasons above, would never change and have long since realised that win lose or draw there are nevertheless far more important things in my life.

Good post sir.

Back
Top Bottom