Tonge Injury

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

silverfox

Reaction score
Looks like it was his good ankle he injured on Saturday.

If he's out for a while I suppose they will do the operation on the other one too but some reports say he may be fit for Newcastle.

Monty did great against Chelsea so will be dissapointed to be dropped.

Blessing in disguise if tonge is out in my opinion

Monty was terrific on Saturday in a game that suited his strengths, however he is not a replacement for Tonge - with such little creativity in the side at the minute i wouldn't replace a player who can spark a bit of creativity with a player who does not have that ability in his make-up.

I would personally like to see Monty replace leigertwood and hope that we have someone who can replace tonge - perhaps Lie Tie is that player but i doubt it.

Sharpy said:
........How exactly?

I don't believe tonge has again been hitting form that we know he is capable of. I'd rather be playing with quinn than tonge as it stands.

Tonge's lazy side seems to be re=appearing back in his game.

Robbie said:
I don't believe tonge has again been hitting form that we know he is capable of. I'd rather be playing with quinn than tonge as it stands.

Tonge's lazy side seems to be re=appearing back in his game.

I'd agree with that. I'd love to see Tonge playing like we know he can, but at the moment I don’t think he's worthy of a place.

BV said:
I'd agree with that. I'd love to see Tonge playing like we know he can, but at the moment I don’t think he's worthy of a place.

Can i ask who you think should be brought in to replace him?

I agree that Tonge isn't having as much effect as we all hoped he would but i don't see an alternative in the squad, unless we can maybe move quinn into the centre and perhaps shift kabba out wide...

He has been injured, he's hardly at the peak of fitness.

Oh yeah, lets bring in monty to get some creativity. Even though Tonge isnt at his best he is still better than any other option we have.

Sharpy said:
Oh yeah, lets bring in monty to get some creativity. Even though Tonge isnt at his best he is still better than any other option we have.

Yeah, can see them crutches coming in handy on the pitch ;)

Sharpy said:

If your Monty comment is sarcastic, it might be worth remembering a certain Mr Montgomery put in one of the best crosses of the match and beat his man a good few times, including one amusing time leaving a world class defender flailing around on the floor.

I'm not sure we have a replacement for Tonge, and that's a big concern. I've heard Li Tie's name mentioned, but I've not seen hime play so I couldn't advocate that. Either of the Quinn's, perhaps.

I'd try to buy Gera in January and pair him with a really good defensive midfielder, I wouldn't mind Gera and Monty in the middle.

Sharpy said:

This may be true, but he has not created a goal in the first 10 games so i don't see any harm trying out alternatives - its not like we will be losing a proven supply of chances and goals.

I would take this opportunity to get his surgery out of the way and try out some alternative formations / personnel.

Sharpy said:

Tonge has done NOTHING so far this season. Whether he has been injured or not is irrelevant. Let him come back when fully fit.

Tonge has not impressed me one bit doesnt deserve to stay in the team way he has been playing!

But we all know warnock will play him as soon as he is fit :(

Tinoblade said:
But we all know warnock will play him as soon as he is fit :(
Don't count on it, we all remember Tonge got dropped at the start of last season after 1 1/2 season of being poor at a time we thought Warnock had his favourite players, same would be said about Harley at that time, but Warnock dropped Tonge, shipped out Harley as soon as Unsworth came in, and Tonge fought his way back into the team eventually.

why play him if hes not fully fit??

tonge has done nothing so far really. alright he attacks, but when were on the back foot, he dosen't want to know. he would have trouble tackling stephen hawking. he was crap last season and was dropped, he came back ace. maybe this is what we need now.

midfield:

Webber Quinn Monty Keef

jodman said:
This may be true, but he has not created a goal in the first 10 games so i don't see any harm trying out alternatives - its not like we will be losing a proven supply of chances and goals.

I would take this opportunity to get his surgery out of the way and try out some alternative formations / personnel.
True he hasnt, name me a player from the midfield who has though? He needs to be out wide to get the best out of him imo,

Foxy no need to get no defensive over monty, i never said he didnt play well. He is a defensive midfield player, he either comes in for leggy but no way can they both play.

True he hasnt, name me a player from the midfield who has though? CKR set hulse up if i remember.....

Sharpy said:
Foxy no need to get no defensive over monty, i never said he didnt play well. He is a defensive midfield player, he either comes in for leggy but no way can they both play.

It's not defensive, it's stating the obvious in regards to the subject we are talking about. :)

Heard on the radio that the injury is just a twisting of the ankle and nothing that will require a long time out. If this is the case then is it worth doing the operation on his bad ankle as they say it could be 6 weeks for that to recover.

Sharpy said:
True he hasnt, name me a player from the midfield who has though? He needs to be out wide to get the best out of him imo.

That is my point, nobody has created anything so why not take this opportunity to try out some alternatives - Tonge should not remain in the side based on the fact that he is no worse then anyone else.

His lack of pace also rules him out of the wide positions in my opinion.

jodman said:
That is my point, nobody has created anything so why not take this opportunity to try out some alternatives - Tonge should not remain in the side based on the fact that he is no worse then anyone else.
His lack of pace also rules him out of the wide positions in my opinion.
But he's better than anybody else we have!

Its not his fault there is no movement at all in the side, he cant thread the ball through when nobody makes runs for him.

Sharpy said:

Its not his fault there is no movement at all in the side, he cant thread the ball through when nobody makes runs for him.

That is debatable, Quinny was at the heart of far more of our attacking at the start of last season then Tonge. Quinn is more mobile and more direct, granted Tonge may have more skill but i personally think Quinn is the better attacking midfielder.

I also think that Gillespie has made more attacking ground over the past 2 games then Tonge has all season.

Tonge is carrying an injury and i have faith that he can perform at this level, but he has not done so far this season - he is out for 3 weeks so lets see if someone else has more success.

Unless you think he should limp through the games, him being so gifted an all...

Sharpy said:

How about the man city game, when he decided to dawdle when webber could have been clean through?

gezblade said:
Would it be worth using the time to book an operation to remove the flaking bone in his other ankle? If he comes back from one injury and aggrevates the other then he will be lost anyway for at least 6 weeks, should he go in for one whilst off for the other would it help I wonder?

I think that the hectic xmas period looming Neil will insist on having Tonge back as soon as possible.

Back
Top Bottom