Today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Putney Blade

Reaction score
Just back. Absolutely no cutting edge. Same old story. When when DW wake up to this.

We play patient, cross field passes, in-front of our defensive line but fail to penetrate in the final 1/3rd. In contrast Brentford we much more incisive, had forwards / midfield players with quick feet, able to spin of our defenders, attack at pace and create problems. In contrast and especially in the first half, we were ponderous. We pass across our back line, with few midfield interventions, then lump it to Porter; this was easy meat to their central defenders. Our wide midfield and two full-backs never got behind their defence, our central midfield players don't have the pace to attack directly, nor the guile to create opportunities, we are very blunt offensively.

Blackman was lost playing right midfield. This is not his position. He failed to track back repeatedly and support McMahon, this contributed to their second goal. He never looked a threat apart from parts of the second half. Flynn is a total waste of space on this showing. No pace. No physicalty. No threat. Porter was no threat what so-ever. Miller was in-and-out. But 'cos we play hoof ball to Porter, was forced to feed off scraps. Probably a better player if had had better players around him.

It was evident today, there is NO pace and very little forward threat from Blackman, Doyle, MacDonald, Flynn, Miller & Porter. This if 6 out of the 11 players for gods sake, when you add our full-backs, not hard to see why we don't create or score goals. When will DW recognise this!

McMahon was poor, was at fault for their first goal, got caught sleeping, allowing their wide man to find the space to get behind us and deliver a telling cross. In fact the McMahon / Blackman combination didn't work, their two goals came from the left hand side. McMahon was rightly substituted.

Talking of substitutions. Why was Cresswell brought on? He is the same 'no-pace, big lump' of a forward like Porter. It offered nothing different.

Was more urgency & purpose in the second half, their goalie made a few good saves, but it was too late, lost in the game in the 1st half.

Glaringly obvious where our problems lie. Somewhere, somehow gotta find some money to buy / loan some creative attacking players midfield / upfront, players with pace. Without this, difficult to see how we will get promoted. Current bunch are not good enough.

UTB

Current bunch are not good enough.

So the team who beat fellow promotion rivals Stevenage 4-1 aren't good enough? I do agree with other parts though - why play McMahon straight after an injury when Westlake has been playing decent and offers more going forward? Why play Cresswell when we've got young academy players itching to play e.g. Diego and Ironside. Surely these will offer the same or more than Cresswell. Why not take a gamble?

Such negative tactics will continue to cost us points as they already have this season.

Too many players were passengers today, that was the main problem. Very poor first half, and better second but still not really up to scratch.

Not half been listening to some suicidal bollocks on the way home though :)

Had to laugh at Wilson's comment in his Radio Sheffield interview - "It's always difficult coping with teams who have flying wingers".

Something we've been lacking for a while now Danny.

Yes we were well beaten but I don't think we were totally toothless up front. We did cause the keeper to make a couple of decent saves. A fit Kitson will not be the solution to all our woes but hopefully it will be a start.

Too many players were passengers today, that was the main problem. Very poor first half, and better second but still not really up to scratch.

Is the new album any good then ?

You think we'll finish top two? I don't. You think we should finish top two? I do.

Who were the passengers?

You think we'll finish top two? I don't. You think we should finish top two? I do.

As I say, today we weren't good enough.

As to where we will finish, it all depends on the results between now and the end of the season. We've lost two so far, it's not time to panic just yet.

Who were the passengers?

Central midfield were invisible, both on the wing struggled, the strikers were working with scraps and we only started using the ball properly late in the second half. As soon as we started running at them, or playing the ball forward with any purpose, we looked more dangerous.

Central midfield were invisible, both on the wing struggled, the strikers were working with scraps and we only started using the ball properly late in the second half. As soon as we started running at them, or playing the ball forward with any purpose, we looked more dangerous.

Completely agree with that. If finances allowed, I'd like to see us with an additional winger and central midfielder. We've no serious competition for any of those positions in the midfield at the minute. With Monty gone, both K-Mac and Doyle are certain starters whenever fit - and of late, they look as though they are playing with that in mind. If we're able to send Cofie back in Jan, and assuming we will bring in a winger, we need to look to add some genuine competition to the middle.

As I say, today we weren't good enough.

As to where we will finish, it all depends on the results between now and the end of the season. We've lost two so far, it's not time to panic just yet.

What's wrong with a little prediction Foxman? Top 2 or not?

Has to be 442 in L1 and SUFC should have the resources to field a side that can cope and flourish in L1. You seem to suggest 5 in midfield because Doyle is past it and Kmac cannot run?

Please at least tell me that some part of you thinks SUFC should get promoted this term?

What's wrong with a little prediction Foxman? Top 2 or not?

How many games have you been to? because I've missed only Hartlepool away this season (rarity) and I still can't call which United side is going to turn up on the day despite the sample size.

That's why I'm reluctant to predict, I simply don't know. I'm not particularly interested in a "told you so" at the end of the season.

Has to be 442 in L1 and SUFC should have the resources to field a side that can cope and flourish in L1. You seem to suggest 5 in midfield because Doyle is past it and Kmac cannot run?

I'm not entirely sure where you pull the apparent suggestion from. In terms of moving forward from today, Doyle needs a kick up the arse and to remember what his mouth is for. KMac needs to know the place isn't just his regardless.

I'd put Westlake back in, but tell him he needs to concentrate on his positioning when not in possession. I'd be tempted to swap Hill for Williams again, because whilst Hill hasn't done much wrong, Williams has been getting forward more successfully of late.

Please at least tell me that some part of you thinks SUFC should get promoted this term?

I think we should be able to mount a challenge, given that we've lost only two and are still gaining complements from opposition, there's nothing to suggest we are incapable of that.

Brentford weren't shit, Crewe weren't shit, we're going to have difficult games.

All home games, no away games.

I thought you were suggesting Doyle/Kmac were invisible.

Trust me - I am not a 'told you so' man.

Agree re difficult games - winning any game aint easy, we will lose games, we will have bad days but I see no real hope of top 2 and given our FFP advantage that is very, very disappointing.

I was not there today and will bow to the opinions of the people that saw the game first hand. However I am sceptical it was that bad. I can understand that fans might be pissed off after travelling to London, paying a small forune for the day, standing in the pissing rain and wind and getting little entertainment. It seems like a frustrating afternoon and that we were 2nd best. However, despite being beaten 2 nowt we had 13 attempts on goal. 7 of those were on target and their keeper got man of the match. Maguire had a header that could have crossed the line, Porter missed a sitter and Miller and Blackman forced good saves. This hardly seems like a lack of creativity for a team that was playing away from home against a side in form (7 unbeaten of which 5 were wins). I might be a know nowt that was not there, but the stats suggest the game was closer than people make out. I do not doubt that the midfield got over run, we gave away a silly goal and Brentford deserved the points. However I am not that discouraged. I was not really expecting us to get anything today.

Since being joint top a month or so we've had a tough run of games. We have stubled a little and our form has been mixed. I will be interested to see how we do in the next 3 league games. We are still in a good position and if we are in a similar position going into Christmas then I think we are in with a good shout of automatic promotion.

We were caught napping in the first 20 minutes and paid the price. I don't agree that were terrible or toothless up front, on another day we would have converted at least one of the the handful of chances we had in the second half. If one of those goes in you never know what would have happened. I may be wrong but I was almost certain the ball had crossed the line from a header late on.

Miller has to start every game, he makes some good runs and is always looking to run off the last defender. If we keep him fit and his morale up then he could become a very good player. Blackman showed some flashes of quality one run especially, he isn't consistent but is probably our only player who can create something out of nothing.

The formation we are playing at the moment is one that will concede goals, but is much more likely to score. I prefer that style than trying to shut up shop and hoping we nick one.

not been and didnt listen to it, so i cant really comment on the game, but we just arent good enough. i dont get why people insist we have such a good team. we dont. players like cresswell, mcallister, mcmahon, porter wouldnt get in many top half league one teams imo. flynn, doyle, hill would be bit part players at the same clubs. we keep cobbling together a team of half-decent honest pros, then wondering why we aint beating everybody.

We need another winger, because Flynn has no real strengths. He'll put the odd decent cross in, but a makeshift Blackman, and Brentford's today, show just what a promotion chasing side should contain. Flynn isn't it.

God knows how McMahon got straight back into the side. Again, another bang average 3rd division player that should have to earn his place.

Overall, it's the lack of pace, not just individually, but more the way we build (or don't) on goal. Not remotely purposeful enough and I worry that the Crewe game has returned Wilson to the mind numbing approach pre Stevenage.

UTB

Moving your top scorer out of position is never a good move to be honest and just highlights the fact that we either need; a winger in on loan, or to give the young ones a chance.

I may be wrong but I was almost certain the ball had crossed the line from a header late on.

The man was definitely behind the goal line, but was leaning forward.... Got a video of it from our position on the terrace on my phone when the battery charges :)

flynns a good player to have on the bench, or to come in for injuries. the fact that hes currently one of the best 3 midfielders at the club is pretty worrying. :(

The man was definitely behind the goal line, but was leaning forward.... Got a video of it from our position on the terrace on my phone when the battery charges :)

Looked a mile over to me though. I had a reasonable angle from the side(ish).

UTB

Looked a mile over to me though. I had a reasonable angle from the side(ish).

UTB

Yeah looked over to me too, not watched it back yet though.

i would like to say probably represent the 7 to 10 thousand who will stop going to matches(home games) and you will see the attendances gradually go down.

The club is as I was in 1981 going nowhere and set for a long stay in divisions 3and4

I've been to eight games this year been entertained twice not good enough.

So if grinding out results is ok for you keep going but it ain't for me.

Not been to Brentford today and didn't listen on RS but heard Edwards summing up after and he seemed quite please with the performance, so quite surprised with the reaction on here.

Apart from the odd exception United haven't quite looked on the money all season. It took them a while to click last season, maybe Kitson's return is going to be the catalyst for us to kick on with some decent form.

Here's a quick video of the clearance mentioned -

according to the formations on sky sports score centre, miller played at right-back. no wonder we lost!

Just back. Absolutely no cutting edge. Same old story. When when DW wake up to this.

We play patient, cross field passes, in-front of our defensive line but fail to penetrate in the final 1/3rd. In contrast Brentford we much more incisive, had forwards / midfield players with quick feet, able to spin of our defenders, attack at pace and create problems. In contrast and especially in the first half, we were ponderous. We pass across our back line, with few midfield interventions, then lump it to Porter; this was easy meat to their central defenders. Our wide midfield and two full-backs never got behind their defence, our central midfield players don't have the pace to attack directly, nor the guile to create opportunities, we are very blunt offensively.

Blackman was lost playing right midfield. This is not his position. He failed to track back repeatedly and support McMahon, this contributed to their second goal. He never looked a threat apart from parts of the second half. Flynn is a total waste of space on this showing. No pace. No physicalty. No threat. Porter was no threat what so-ever. Miller was in-and-out. But 'cos we play hoof ball to Porter, was forced to feed off scraps. Probably a better player if had had better players around him.

It was evident today, there is NO pace and very little forward threat from Blackman, Doyle, MacDonald, Flynn, Miller & Porter. This if 6 out of the 11 players for gods sake, when you add our full-backs, not hard to see why we don't create or score goals. When will DW recognise this!

McMahon was poor, was at fault for their first goal, got caught sleeping, allowing their wide man to find the space to get behind us and deliver a telling cross. In fact the McMahon / Blackman combination didn't work, their two goals came from the left hand side. McMahon was rightly substituted.

Talking of substitutions. Why was Cresswell brought on? He is the same 'no-pace, big lump' of a forward like Porter. It offered nothing different.

Was more urgency & purpose in the second half, their goalie made a few good saves, but it was too late, lost in the game in the 1st half.

Glaringly obvious where our problems lie. Somewhere, somehow gotta find some money to buy / loan some creative attacking players midfield / upfront, players with pace. Without this, difficult to see how we will get promoted. Current bunch are not good enough.

UTB

Hmm I thought Blackman was a massive threat in the second half and shows that he could be the division's best player if he wants to be. We were just catastrophically bad in the first half, and improved moderately in the second. These things happen, we move on.

Doyle standards have dropped now he has his 3 year contract.

Toothless: This what happends when you start Porter. There is a reason why he has moved teams so much, and has a poor goal record.

Back
Top Bottom