Three Ex Blades playing tonight

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Benitachel

Reaction score
I thought Walker was good again as usual.
Ramsdale had nothing to do.
Maguire was not very good as usual.
Safegate disappointed me and needs to be more positive in going forward . Souness was spot on in his assessment.

Pre match daft Souness said he would pick Maddison ahead of Bellingham and accused England picking Bellingham only because he plays for Real Madrid! :rolleyes:
I heard that too Silent, although he did backtrack a bit and say Maddison was more suited to the #10 role.
Personally I would pick Bellingham over Maddison every single time. Looks like he can play #10, #8, or whatever role you like.

Pre match daft Souness said he would pick Maddison ahead of Bellingham and accused England picking Bellingham only because he plays for Real Madrid! :rolleyes:
I s'pose sometimes it's easy being wise after the event but you would think as an 'expert', slagging the one world class player we have (probably set for 10 years competing for the Ballon d'Or) is definitely sticking your neck out.

I s'pose sometimes it's easy being wise after the event but you would think as an 'expert', slagging the one world class player we have (probably set for 10 years competing for the Ballon d'Or) is definitely sticking your neck out.
Am surprised Souness hadnt noticed that Bellingham was brilliant during the World Cup

Safegate disappointed me and needs to be more positive in going forward . Souness was spot on in his assessment.
Don’t forget about Che Adams…although I can see why you might’ve…anonymous

Harry had a decent game when he came on, the og was unfortunate & nothing more.

Harry is under the microscope. If another player had scored that own goal it wouldn't be talked about as much.

He's playing in a toxic atmosphere at Man Utd. He doesn't seem to get the correct support from their manager.

I am struggling to think of another player who has been subjected to such overwhelming treatment.

Peter Crouch maybe? Or Jason Lee?

Harry is under the microscope. If another player had scored that own goal it wouldn't be talked about as much.

He's playing in a toxic atmosphere at Man Utd. He doesn't seem to get the correct support from their manager.

I am struggling to think of another player who has been subjected to such overwhelming treatment.

Peter Crouch maybe? Or Jason Lee?
I think you’re right, but he chose to stay at Man U rather than moving and getting regular football.

Southgate’s justification for picking him was fairly weak. As much as I liked Maguire he’s been terrible for Man U and looks a shadow of the confident player he used to be.

His form for England has been much better but last night he looked the Man U player. Nervy even before the OG and the OG should really be enough to say that he needs a break from the England squad.

There are surely better, in form English centre halves around at the moment?

Much as I like and wish him well, his attempted interception for the own goal was a bit worse than unfortunate.
I'd say his OG last night was why you have to pick players who are getting regular football, it was no worse than say Foden spooning the ball in the air or some of the other poor football but when your mistake leads to an own goal everybody is going to say it's worse.

The own goal is common for many centre halfs when they try and intercept a cross....hazard of the job.(Brian Gayle anyone ?)

So outline,without mentioning the above, what he did wrong yesterday

I heard that too Silent, although he did backtrack a bit and say Maddison was more suited to the #10 role.
Personally I would pick Bellingham over Maddison every single time. Looks like he can play #10, #8, or whatever role you like.
I reckon the lad could probably do a job in goal if he put his mind to it, one of the best players I’ve seen for years

I thought he said he'd play them both with Maddison ahead of Bellingham,the latter coming onto the ball from a bit deeper.🤔👍

Maguire was incredibly unlucky for the goal. You don’t just leave that ball going across the box unless you know your keeper is planning on smothering it. My first assumption was Ramsdale hadn’t shouted early enough.

Unfortunately Maguire is a victim of internet weirdo groupthink from people who have Mbappe as their twitter avatar and it’s sad to see him mentally shot. Some England fans started booing him after his performances started to dip for Man Utd. I bet if you asked one of them why they were booing him they couldn’t tell you. If he was at Newcastle or Tottenham he wouldn’t be under anywhere near the scrutiny.

Scotland are clearly resurgent and under Steve Clarke are not a bad side after 20 odd barren years largely driven by a moribund domestic league and limited opportunities for domestic players. I don’t think they were a bad side but just couldn’t compete with England who are now stacked with some of the best players in the world rather than Scott Parker or Ricky Lambert.

…and for all the “tek andbrake off” (what does it even mean) they did score 3 goals which in my mind had is a decent return in most games.

I know this post is about 3 Blades playing for England
Which is fantastic.
Do the media really know of this fact? How many teams can boast having 3 players on the pitch together?
Man utd probably one ! They have the cream of the crop of young players we develop them to this level!
Well done Blades! Let's hope we can keep the possible stars we have coming through and not lose them to prem clubs,we have to maintain our status to do this! A big reason to find a sugar daddy.

Irrespective of what has gone off so far and whether you feel HM has been harshly treated by the media etc, the bottom line is that at it stands, you have a player who is struggling with confidence and most importantly l, he is not getting game time week in week out at a decent standard. Southgate should be picking a team with individuals who are in the team on merit and form, otherwise if you are just picking a team on past performance or reputation then you are going down the route of a closed shop and picking players based on who they play for. Completely the wrong thing to do. Going back to HM, if he wanted to prolong his international career then he had a big decision to make in the summer when WHU came calling as I could have seen him doing well there and perhaps he could have them been picked for England on merit. For one reason or another (financial I suppose) he has chosen to stay at a club where he is clearly not wanted/rated and with fans who the majority want shut of him. That's his choice and fair play to him in that respect. The flip side is that if he's now not getting game time there is no way he should continue to get picked for England whilts he gets splinters in his arse sitting on the bench week in week out. Pick the players who are doing it every week. So GS should be thinking about 2024 now and thinking about replacing HM with a long term replacement. HM moves or gets a loan move then it's game in again and he can work hard for reselection for England. Loyalty has its merits but practicality has to win through, and GS should recognise that with this scenario. Dunk and one other should be looked at now for those spots.

Would never ever happen… but imagine what a manager like zizou could do for England!

Bellingham has said himself he’d like to emulate him

Souness also said this is the best Scottish team in the last 2 generations 😂😂
almost feel sorry for them

Southgate was dumb in his decision to play Maguire last night and it has nothing to do with his ability as a player. Everyone's aware of the mini circus around Maguire at the moment and the absolute bashing he receives on the social media platforms. It's naive in the extreme to think that the Scottish fans weren't going to jump on Harry Maguire's back as soon as he came on. Away at Hampden is not just another friendly game for England, it's a unique atmosphere and the clues were there earlier in the evening during the jeering of the national anthems. As soon as HM came on, it turned into even more of a pantomime atmosphere with his every touch being received with mocking and derision. He made a pretty common defensive error for the OG, but the way it was received nearly turned the game in Scotland's favour and detracted from what had previously been a pretty solid game for England and a bit of a schooling for the jocks. Poor management of the occasion from Southgate and he's only added to Maguire's woes.

Back
Top Bottom