Thoughts on Swindon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Balham Blade

S24SU Seer
Reaction score
Well, that was a thoroughly shit evening. Got to the ground 5 minutes after kick off only to find out that our tickets were stuck on the M4. Faced with a decision between standing around and paying again, we paid again. That was a mistake.

The game
Dire. Two sides devoid of pace, trickery or composure hoofing the ball from defence to defence. It was "Blackwellian", to borrow Ollessendro 's phrase.

Every now and then, we'd put a couple of passes together in midfield but the ball would then end up at the feet of Hill who'd launch it or McMahon, who'd...well, launch it.

One half decent Swindon move saw them hit the post with a deflected effort, Long had one routine stop to make down to his left while at the other end we had one soft shot from Blackman in the first half and two blocked efforts from a McMahon free kick near the end of the 90.

Paolo watch
Mad as a can of frogs. Spent more time arguing with his own players than the referee which I was a little surprised by.

United
Long: did the basics well, came and claimed one looping cross out past his penalty spot. Swindon were targeting him under high crosses and he dealt with all but one (a bad punch) well. Good to see a United keeper rolling the ball out to his full backs but his kicking needs work - he seemed to slice a lot of clearances. 7

McMahon: solid in defence and good free kicks at the end but he's so unambitious it's painful. Lofted balls down the flanks to no-one or hoofed crossfield balls. Booked for twice trying to take a Swindon throw. 6

Maguire: dealt very will with their no 9 who spent more time jumping at Maguire or wrestling with him than trying to play the ball. Yes, Maguire hits too many long balls but that's probably because there's next to no movement in front of him. 7

Collins: less steady than his young defensive colleague - he needs some heading practice to stop him putting clearing headers at the feet of opposition central midfielders. A good effort blocked at the end though. 6

Hill: as good as Hill was at Orient he was poor here. His weaknesses are painfully exposed at left back and having Williams in front of him didn't help. Woeful distribution capped a bad night. 4

Flynn: peripheral for most of the game, a fact not aided by McMahon's tendency to hoof the ball 3 feet over Flynn's head. Some good skill near the end of the game saw him get past the left back a couple of times but the resulting crosses were disappointing. Didn't deserve the flack he got from the sidelines, however. 6

Doyle: I don't think I saw Doyle do much other than play a few safe 5 yard balls. Football has moved on and players like Doyle are outdated. On the bright side, he kept his studs to himself for once. 4

McDonald: the only player who put his foot on the ball and got his head up but he can't do it all himself. Some lovely passes but too often their central midfielders were ahead of him: he still needs to sharpen up on his defensive positioning. Oh, and his heading is dreadful for someone so tall. 6

Williams: it's not Marcus Williams' fault that he was played out of position on the left wing but I still expect a bit of footballing intelligence from a professional: knowing when to drop short, when to pull wide etc. Oh, the ability to control a football would be nice too. Two other points: he was chopped down in the first half by a late, high tackle which could have seen the Swindon player sent off and he managed to beat three men down the wing in the second half...before shinning the ball straight out. 2

Porter: I've seen Porter play a few times now and have a rough idea of what his game involves. He's good in the air but that was nullified by the Swindon centre halves; his first touch is not good but he can show flashes of skill. The weaknesses were highlighted yesterday by the tactics and Blackman's positioning (more on that below); he had no opportunity to show off his strengths. Isolated up front, it was all too easy for the Swindon defence. 4

Blackman: really, really disappointing. His positioning is absolutely terrible: he's constantly 10 yards further away from the ball than he should be. We know that Porter is good in the air - Blackman should be looking for the flick ons or knock downs but he was always too far away from his strike partner. This meant that Porter was having to try and aim his headers rather than just win the ball. One snap-shot in the first half was about as much as we saw from Blackman in an attacking sense. 3

Sub:
Cresswell: (for Blackman, around 70 mins): did the usual Cresswell thing; ran around looking laboured. Think he touched the ball about three times. n/a

Wilson's tactics
I could go on about this for pages but I won't. Suffice to say that picking Williams at left wing summed up Danny's approach - don't concede and you won't lose. Fine, but we were playing Swindon Town in the third tier. The icing on this particularly shit cake was Blackman being replaced by Cresswell in our only substitution. 1/10 (and I'm still sure he's the right man for the job)

United fans:
814 Blades in good voice. Responding to a Swindon chant of "this game's too big for you" aimed at the ref with "your ground's too big for you"; labelling Swindon as "just a bus stop in Oxford"; hurling abuse at Di Canio - all while a terrible game was being played. Kudos to the blokes who smuggled a 15 foot banner with "Di Canio: Porco Facsisto" on it too.

Referee:
I thought the referee had an excellent game, refusing to listen to the increasingly hysterical reaction of the Swindon fans whenever a decision went against their team. The tackle on Williams was shocking but he erred on the side of caution in just booking him: probably the right call given that it was the first bad tackle in the game.

Some good skill near the end of the game saw him get past the left back a couple of times but the resulting crosses were disappointing.

I refuse to believe Flynn went past anyone without video evidence or sworn Affidavits from at least a dozen people who were there!

Seriously, thanks for the write up. Sounds turgid, but I'd have taken a point before the start.

Listened on the radio and felt sorry for those who'd made the journey having to watch such a dull game.

Can't comment on the match directly of course, but I do wonder whether the home side should rename themselves Paulo Di Canio FC. Every chant you could hear from them - and there weren't many - was chanting his name, it really was pathetic. The sooner that gobshite implodes and takes these no-marks back down with him the better.

Awesome work on the banner! Apparently 'pig fascist' is 'fascista di maiale' in Italian, but the sentiment is bang on!

Can't disagree with any of that balham. Indeed it was unfortunate that the most interesting events were the antics of Adolf Eichmann on the touchline.

Can't comment on the match directly of course, but I do wonder whether the home side should rename themselves Paulo Di Canio FC. Every chant you could hear from them - and there weren't many - was chanting his name, it really was pathetic. The sooner that gobshite implodes and takes these no-marks back down with him the better.

Seems they might have to learn a few new chants then. Incredibly, di Canio is being tipped to become Southampton manager if/when Adkins is chopped.

That means that Swindon will sink back to where they belong and Southampton will be relegated by Christmas.

"The view from Swindon", collected by BladesMad's Roygbiv:

"They sang the most monotonous song during the prem season "oh when the blades" (a slow version for about

80 minutes)"

"Wilsons lot do seem dirty *******s though. A chorus of Wilson is a wednesday fan made me chuckle too"

"It's not exactly been a great spectacle from two of the supposedly better teams in League 1."

"utd fans held a big banner what would appear to be slagging paolo off, couldnt read it from here!"

"8,300 tonight.Thought both they and we would bring a few more"

"Shots 11 V 5
On target 3 V 3
Corners 9 V 1
We have everything but a goalscorer !"

"we didn't lose, or concede to a team in form, with a number of key players out. The back four rarely looked

in trouble, other than the scramble at the end"

"- We deserved to win from 1st half performance
- Second half was more bam bam! (End to end, from context)
- Physically they were big, strong and direct
- The lads worked very hard and I'm very happy"

"It was one of the worst atmospheres I've ever witnessed at a football ground."

"We played to their strengths (long/high balls up to our front two which their big strong centre halfs were

always going to win in the air) far too much, if we'd played a bit more football might have opened them up.

But they're a strong and effective, if not attractive, side and that's a decent point in the circumstances"

"Sheffield Utd - Hoofball merchants. No wonder they don't lose if that's the kind of biased refereeing they

get. They were timewasting from the first minute to the last. I cannot remember our strikers getting one

freekick against their big central defenders all game.
I thought Harry Bassett was their manager, because that football took me back to the late 80's/early 90's.

Hoof !!"

"Wasn't too bad... could have scored a couple, could have conceded during that mad scramble near the end."

"Tricky home game out of the way, looking forward to seeing an 8-0 win at walsall saturday now"

"Whilst it's a bit of a piss and whinge we've just played the only unbeaten team in the FL and haven't lost

and compared to the debacle of Saturday it's a good point."

"I thought Sheff Utd were ordinary and were there for the taking but we were too **** to do so. Thier back 4 were good and the keepr was Ok but their midfield and front men did nothing. As much as Collins and Williams were in their centre halves pockets so were their front 2. "

"For a 0-0 it wasn't a bad game. The ref was a complete one-sided tosser - must have thought that Blades were really Man U at Old Trafford."

"I can only assume that Sheff Utd had an off day, because they offered ****** all considering their current position and the fact they're unbeaten. However, we could so easily have lost it in the dying minutes were it not for some resolute defending. "

"Sheffield were not the team I thought they would be, you can see why they don't concede but also why they don't score either."

"Pretty dour game, against dire opposition, with a dreadful referee. I thought Sheffield United were supposed to be a footballing team? One of the most negative teams i've seen at the CG."

Agree with pretty much all of that Balham. My only difference would be your rating of Porter - I thought he had a good game and won virtually everything in the air but Blackman never anticipated any flick-ons being won, was always too far away from Porter and the midfield were far too deep to support the attack. I'd have given him a 6/7 because he did his job, but nobody else seemingly wanted to take advantage of this fact.

I was also really pissed off when Cresswell was brought on. I thought Blackman was very poor last night but Miller should have been on to replace him. We were lacking pace and anticipation up front, so it was so frustrating to see Cresswell coming on. If he was to come on it had to be to replace Porter who was tiring near the end due to the amount of work he did on his own last night.

Before the game, my mate asked me if I'd be happy to see the ref blow his whistle after the first minute and take the 0-0, and I said yes. I wish he'd done that now!

Oh, and the road closures on the A419 and M5 really made the drive home fun :)

err.. mine actually :D.. credit where it's due and all that :D

Apologies SP.

Agree with pretty much all of that Balham. My only difference would be your rating of Porter - I thought he had a good game and won virtually everything in the air but Blackman never anticipated any flick-ons being won, was always too far away from Porter and the midfield were far too deep to support the attack. I'd have given him a 6/7 because he did his job, but nobody else seemingly wanted to take advantage of this fact.

I was also really pissed off when Cresswell was brought on. I thought Blackman was very poor last night but Miller should have been on to replace him. We were lacking pace and anticipation up front, so it was so frustrating to see Cresswell coming on. If he was to come on it had to be to replace Porter who was tiring near the end due to the amount of work he did on his own last night.

Before the game, my mate asked me if I'd be happy to see the ref blow his whistle after the first minute and take the 0-0, and I said yes. I wish he'd done that now!

Oh, and the road closures on the A419 and M5 really made the drive home fun :)

Porter didn't win enough in the air for me - their no5 beat him too often. As I said though, it was probably because as he was jumping for the ball he was having to look for Blackman which then gave the advantage to the Swindon defenders. He also got next to no service which isn't exactly his fault but at the same time he needs to be more assertive. Maybe I was harsh on him but I've played the battering ram role up front (admittedly at Sunday league level!) and know that you can make more of it than Porter did last night.

My thoughts when Cresswell came on were almost exactly the same as yours Daz. We were crying out for pace and movement up front as Swindon's defence looked slow and unsure under pressure; Blackman was having a shocker but Cresswell wasn't the answer.

Bergen Blade the Swindon fans were up in arms about Maguire "wrestling" their centre forward but as I noted in the report above, the Swindon man was making no attempt to play the ball, instead choosing to back into Maguire or Collins. The referee called it exactly right.

As for falling over - we were cute and drew attention to fouls. I can imagine that this is frustrating for home fans but have a feeling that they're using this to avoid the fact that a) the Swindon team were constantly committing niggly fouls and b) they played just as badly as we did.

Good thoughts, but the thoughts I'm looking forward to are the thoughts of Blade Too Long on your thoughts.

I would take issue with one Swindon comment: regarding attendances, I dont think a club with sub 10000 crowds are in a position to throw stones. At £25 a ticket plus petrol and train tickets etc on a Tuesday night, do these wurzel gummidge bastards think we can shit money or summat?

err.. mine actually :D.. credit where it's due and all that :D

This is an extract from Post 51 on "Our Record is Amazing".

So, for now, I'm cautiously content, if not exactly satisfied. I shall never subscribe, however, to the "results are all that matters" school of thought. That way lies the Blackwellian abyss. In any event. history demonstrates, as I have reminded the now discredited We ❤ Hoof Brigade on many occasions, that the best football teams get the best results, and the higher the level, the more that holds good.

It's mine, SP!!!! You even gave me a 'like'! [for which I am grateful]. As you rightly say, credit where it's due. :)

So, for now, I'm cautiously content, if not exactly satisfied. I shall never subscribe, however, to the "results are all that matters" school of thought. That way lies the Blackwellian abyss. In any event. history demonstrates, as I have reminded the now discredited We ❤ Hoof Brigade on many occasions, that the best football teams get the best results, and the higher the level, the more that holds good.

It's mine, SP!!!! You even gave me a 'like'! [for which I am grateful]. As you rightly say, credit where it's due. :)
fair enough Pinch.. you got me bang to rights :D..

i'm sure that i mentioned it somewhere but i can't be arsed to look for it (i remember because i got criticised for the comparison)

i'm sure that i mentioned it somewhere but i can't be arsed to look for it (i remember because i got criticised for the comparison)

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (or at least the search facility on here), it was actually Ollesendro who first used the word "Blackwellian" in December 2011:-

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?search/2108061/&q=Blackwellian&o=date

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.ph...day-out-on-the-south-coast.25323/#post-381213

I'm thinking along the lines of "Man City and Arsenal would give their right arms to keep a clean sheet at the moment".

Yes, Man City and Arsenal are both crying out for a performance that's Wilsonian in nature ;)

According to the Oxford English Dictionary (or at least the search facility on here), it was actually Ollesendro who first used the word "Blackwellian" in December 2011:-

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?search/2108061/&q=Blackwellian&o=date

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.ph...day-out-on-the-south-coast.25323/#post-381213

You're absolutely right. He must have consulted me about it, though! :)

By way of penance, I've just given his post a posthumous 'like' and you get one as well, for conspicuous service beyond the call of duty.

The word itself is a thing of beauty. It is graphic, evocative and unequivocal. I shall insist upon its inclusion in the next O.E.D.
Of course we shall now have a verb "to Blackwell", a gerund "Blackwelling" and an adverb, "Blackwellingly".

Thanks all for the update from Swindon!
Hope to be served up better entertainment at Milton Keynes this weekend !
However Wilson is so predictable I'm not holding my breath!

I think i once said you and Pinchy were joined at the hip, this would seem to confirm ;)

Just a thought did anybody see melinda messengers tits while in Swindon still the best thing to come out of that town.

"The view from Swindon", collected by BladesMad's Roygbiv:
"shots 11 V 5
On target 3 V 3
Corners 9 V 1
We have everything but a goalscorer !"

The BBC stats show it as 6 shots to us, (not 5) and 4 of those were on target to only 3 from Swindon.

Also we had more possession - 53% to 47%, and considering that they label us a physical team they actually committed more than double the number of fouls that we committed (15 to 7).

The BBC stats show it as 6 shots to us, (not 5) and 4 of those were on target to only 3 from Swindon.

Also we had more possession - 53% to 47%, and considering that they label us a physical team they actually committed more than double the number of fouls that we committed (15 to 7).

Swindon fans are like parson cross rovers supporters; why let the facts get in the way of a good rant?

What a fucking evening that was. Set off from London at heif 4. Plenty of time for a steady drive over to Swindon, park up, couple of ales and get there for the match. A spanner got firmly chucked in that. There had been an accident on the M4 and West London was at a standstill. We crawled along the Upper Richmond Road for almost 2 hours. In the end we took the M3 and then joined the M4 at Reading. We missed the first 35 minutes of the game. Tickets were in my wallet in my back pocket, so sorry about that boys. When we arrived, there was no fucker to let us in. We banged on the gate and eventually a steward came. He then disappeared for 5 minutes before letting us in.

The match

Apparently we did not miss much. In fact we heard that via Radio Wilts. Some boring fuckers were saying that the match was pretty poor and not much happening. Swindon did hit the bar early doors though apparently. The rest of the first half (after I got there) saw no real incidents.
The second half was a fucking awful spectacle. It was a proper hoof off. Swindon fans can stick it up their jacksies, as they were as bad as us. Both teams constantly humped the ball forward, played head tennis in the middle and generally looked clueless. They were a bit like us: solid, but clueless in possession.

Swindon almost nicked in when their midfielder advanced into the box and shot. A United defender (Collins) blocked it and it deflected off him and hit the post, with Long beaten. It was a real let off for United, but the only thing that troubled Long (other than a few high crosses and set pieces).

It was United who almost stole the game in the last few minutes. It would have been absolute robbery if we had scored. United had a free kick in a dangerous position. McMahon put in a decent ball and Swindon did not clear. The ball broke to Porter who shot goalwards. It beat the keeper, but a defender was well placed to block on the line. There were calls for handball, but it hit his thigh. The ball bounced out and invitingly into the path of Collins. The defender put his head down and drilled a shot towards the net. It was going in, but a defender threw himself in the way and made an excellent 2 point saving tackle.

Once again I am torn on Wilson and his tactics. We are top of the league (or were until Tranmere won) and on the face of it nowt a piece was a good result. I would have taken a draw beforehand and away clean sheets should never be scoffed at. However, I was disappointed Wilson made no attempt to win it. It was a Blackwellian performance and set up (yes, it was me that came up with that one boyz). Wilson set us up very defensively and the instructions were clearly not to concede and be rock solid. That worked. However the lack of ambition was painful. Not bringing Miller on when Blackman was poor was frustrating, bringing Cresswell on frustrating and not using his subs annoying. I hope we turned around at the end of the season and say, well it worked or sumert. The problem is that the feeling on the terraces of the last few games I have been at has been frustration. There has been unrest, despite us doing well. People will quickly turn on Wilson if we keep playing this way and lose a few.

Crimes against football

Where do I start? The whole fucking spectacle was a crime against the beautiful game. Nick Blackman deserves a shout, as Balham states. Crap touch, no anticipation, poor positioning and no link up with Porter. Marcus Williams should be mentioned as he was truly woeful. The bloke clearly tries and it is not his fault Wilson plays him on the left wing. However he really is cack. Wilson obviously plays him for solidity, but it is embarrassing watching this clown on the left flank. We can also mention McMahon and Hill for hoofing everything. As Balham states, there was no one to pass to and little movement, but our full backs just lump it every single time.

Crimes against hoof

None.

United

A few things struck me last night:

- Porter and Blackman: not a good partnership. Balham states this well. I wrote something similar about Blackman and Kitson being too far apart. The problem lies in Blackman, as he does not get close enough to the target man, does not gamble or show any understanding etc. I would prefer to see Miller start from now. You know what will happen if we drop Blackman though don’t you? We’ll get a pen and miss!
- Lack of ambition in full backs: last season we had 2 good wide men, bit with Lowton and Lecs we had attacking threat two. Lowton was brilliant at arriving late in the box, over lapping, linking up with Willo and crossing. LJF got forward well too and linked up well with Quinn. This year we have Flynn who is an ok wide man and then a wank out of position player (McAllister or Williams ….. even Westlake) and the full backs are woeful going forward. They are completely unambitious (perhaps under instruction) and their distribution is gash. Hill defends well, but is a headless chicken with the ball at his feet. McMahon is good at defending (his primary job) and winding opposition fans and players up. However going forward he is gash. When he rarely gets forward he just crosses from deep.
- Solidity: it is only fair to gice us praise for what we did well. The back 4 were brilliant and snuffed out any STFC threat. We also defended very well as a united and are very difficult to break down. We have got by far the defensive record in the leaue (conceding only 10 goals in 16 games) and have not lost a league game. There is a reason for this and that is that we are rock solid. We might have been a bit lucky at times, but we have never really looked like losing in the 24 hours of league football we have played!

Swindon and Di Canio

They did not look owt special. Apparently they were missing a few players, but for a home team they did not impress that much. They worked hard off the ball and defended robustly. Di Canio had done his homework and they hassled and harried K Mac. They had little going forward though and resorted to long balls more often than not. Maguire and Collins did well and kept them at bay pretty easy. In fact the whole of the SUFC back line were excellent and other than a few half chances they had little.

Swindon fans may argue that they deserved to win. I did not feel that, but suppose they hit the wood work twice. They did look the livelier team and if anyone was going to score, it was probably the home team. However I felt our defence was comfortable and we could have played until now and it would be 0-0. On Radio Wilts on the way back they were saying that they were the better team and the calls/texts were similar to what Bergs has shown above. One resounding statement was that they were all surprised how bas SUFC were!

As for senori ‘porco fascisto’ well what a twat. Never liked the piggy fascist twat, but never realized how crackers he is. He is simply nuts. Waving his arms about, arguing with everyone and running around like a twat. At first I thought he was playing to the crowd (home and away fans) but after a while I realized he was not. The way the numpty kept running on the pitch was getting on my tits. The ref should have sent him off. The one where the Swindon defender tried to pass and Blackman almost took it off him, was hilarious. Di Canio ran onto the pitch shouting and screaming and flailing his arms, looking like he was going to deck the defender. At first I thought it was a bit funny and a bit of banter, but after a bit he just looked like a massive bellend.

Ale

None. Topped off a thoroughly shit evening.

Overall

Like I said, it is difficult to complain with where we are. The spectacle is dire and none existent. However we keep grinding results out. I’d have taken 0-0 before the game, but was disappointed with our lack of ambition. I will just have to put my (begrudging and apprehensive) faith in Wilson for now. Let's’ see how we do on the run up to Chrimbo, starting with a tough one on Sat-di.

What a fucking evening that was. Set off from London at heif 4. Plenty of time for a steady drive over to Swindon, park up, couple of ales and get there for the match. A spanner got firmly chucked in that. There had been an accident on the M4 and West London was at a standstill. We crawled along the Upper Richmond Road for almost 2 hours. In the end we took the M3 and then joined the M4 at Reading. We missed the first 35 minutes of the game. Tickets were in my wallet in my back pocket, so sorry about that boys. When we arrived, there was no fucker to let us in. We banged on the gate and eventually a steward came. He then disappeared for 5 minutes before letting us in.

The match

Apparently we did not miss much. In fact we heard that via Radio Wilts. Some boring fuckers were saying that the match was pretty poor and not much happening. Swindon did hit the bar early doors though apparently. The rest of the first half (after I got there) saw no real incidents.
The second half was a fucking awful spectacle. It was a proper hoof off. Swindon fans can stick it up their jacksies, as they were as bad as us. Both teams constantly humped the ball forward, played head tennis in the middle and generally looked clueless. They were a bit like us: solid, but clueless in possession.

Swindon almost nicked in when their midfielder advanced into the box and shot. A United defender (Collins) blocked it and it deflected off him and hit the post, with Long beaten. It was a real let off for United, but the only thing that troubled Long (other than a few high crosses and set pieces).

It was United who almost stole the game in the last few minutes. It would have been absolute robbery if we had scored. United had a free kick in a dangerous position. McMahon put in a decent ball and Swindon did not clear. The ball broke to Porter who shot goalwards. It beat the keeper, but a defender was well placed to block on the line. There were calls for handball, but it hit his thigh. The ball bounced out and invitingly into the path of Collins. The defender put his head down and drilled a shot towards the net. It was going in, but a defender threw himself in the way and made an excellent 2 point saving tackle.

Once again I am torn on Wilson and his tactics. We are top of the league (or were until Tranmere won) and on the face of it nowt a piece was a good result. I would have taken a draw beforehand and away clean sheets should never be scoffed at. However, I was disappointed Wilson made no attempt to win it. It was a Blackwellian performance and set up (yes, it was me that came up with that one boyz). Wilson set us up very defensively and the instructions were clearly not to concede and be rock solid. That worked. However the lack of ambition was painful. Not bringing Miller on when Blackman was poor was frustrating, bringing Cresswell on frustrating and not using his subs annoying. I hope we turned around at the end of the season and say, well it worked or sumert. The problem is that the feeling on the terraces of the last few games I have been at has been frustration. There has been unrest, despite us doing well. People will quickly turn on Wilson if we keep playing this way and lose a few.

Crimes against football

Where do I start? The whole fucking spectacle was a crime against the beautiful game. Nick Blackman deserves a shout, as Balham states. Crap touch, no anticipation, poor positioning and no link up with Porter. Marcus Williams should be mentioned as he was truly woeful. The bloke clearly tries and it is not his fault Wilson plays him on the left wing. However he really is cack. Wilson obviously plays him for solidity, but it is embarrassing watching this clown on the left flank. We can also mention McMahon and Hill for hoofing everything. As Balham states, there was no one to pass to and little movement, but our full backs just lump it every single time.

Crimes against hoof

None.

United

A few things struck me last night:

- Porter and Blackman: not a good partnership. Balham states this well. I wrote something similar about Blackman and Kitson being too far apart. The problem lies in Blackman, as he does not get close enough to the target man, does not gamble or show any understanding etc. I would prefer to see Miller start from now. You know what will happen if we drop Blackman though don’t you? We’ll get a pen and miss!
- Lack of ambition in full backs: last season we had 2 good wide men, bit with Lowton and Lecs we had attacking threat two. Lowton was brilliant at arriving late in the box, over lapping, linking up with Willo and crossing. LJF got forward well too and linked up well with Quinn. This year we have Flynn who is an ok wide man and then a wank out of position player (McAllister or Williams ….. even Westlake) and the full backs are woeful going forward. They are completely unambitious (perhaps under instruction) and their distribution is gash. Hill defends well, but is a headless chicken with the ball at his feet. McMahon is good at defending (his primary job) and winding opposition fans and players up. However going forward he is gash. When he rarely gets forward he just crosses from deep.
- Solidity: it is only fair to gice us praise for what we did well. The back 4 were brilliant and snuffed out any STFC threat. We also defended very well as a united and are very difficult to break down. We have got by far the defensive record in the leaue (conceding only 10 goals in 16 games) and have not lost a league game. There is a reason for this and that is that we are rock solid. We might have been a bit lucky at times, but we have never really looked like losing in the 24 hours of league football we have played!

Swindon and Di Canio

They did not look owt special. Apparently they were missing a few players, but for a home team they did not impress that much. They worked hard off the ball and defended robustly. Di Canio had done his homework and they hassled and harried K Mac. They had little going forward though and resorted to long balls more often than not. Maguire and Collins did well and kept them at bay pretty easy. In fact the whole of the SUFC back line were excellent and other than a few half chances they had little.

Swindon fans may argue that they deserved to win. I did not feel that, but suppose they hit the wood work twice. They did look the livelier team and if anyone was going to score, it was probably the home team. However I felt our defence was comfortable and we could have played until now and it would be 0-0. On Radio Wilts on the way back they were saying that they were the better team and the calls/texts were similar to what Bergs has shown above. One resounding statement was that they were all surprised how bas SUFC were!

As for senori ‘porco fascisto’ well what a twat. Never liked the piggy fascist twat, but never realized how crackers he is. He is simply nuts. Waving his arms about, arguing with everyone and running around like a twat. At first I thought he was playing to the crowd (home and away fans) but after a while I realized he was not. The way the numpty kept running on the pitch was getting on my tits. The ref should have sent him off. The one where the Swindon defender tried to pass and Blackman almost took it off him, was hilarious. Di Canio ran onto the pitch shouting and screaming and flailing his arms, looking like he was going to deck the defender. At first I thought it was a bit funny and a bit of banter, but after a bit he just looked like a massive bellend.

Ale

None. Topped off a thoroughly shit evening.

Overall

Like I said, it is difficult to complain with where we are. The spectacle is dire and none existent. However we keep grinding results out. I’d have taken 0-0 before the game, but was disappointed with our lack of ambition. I will just have to put my (begrudging and apprehensive) faith in Wilson for now. Let's’ see how we do on the run up to Chrimbo, starting with a tough one on Sat-di.

Back
Top Bottom