Thoughts on how we got things right vs Man Utd

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bergen Blade

Reaction score
I've mentioned before that teams have found ways to counter act our style this season. Part of it has been to occupy our wing backs when we are defending. Meaning they've become passive, holding their position, marking an opposition wide player and not helping the midfield out with pressing. The latter point has been the main objective from the opposition teams' perspective. It's not been about actually attacking our wing backs down the flanks - they've just wanted to remove them from our midfield's aggressive pressing, chasing and preventing space.

This has several times isolated our midfield three, and whoever we've put there have struggled to cover enough space. This has seen opposition danger men in more central position find space to hurt us.

Leicester was an example, pushing their two wing backs high up the pitch, occupying our wing backs. Our defence feared the pace of Vardy' so stayed deep. This meant our midfield had acres of space to cover and they couldn't get close to their real danger men, who in turn opened us up.

In the next game we played Southampton, who also pushed players high up in the wide positions. We tried to tweak things, realising we had to reduce the space we gave the opposition in midfield. We did this by trying to play a high line. But this meant there were acres of space behind our defence, which looked disorganised. Southampton saw this and played a number of balls in behind for their danger men Adams and Ings, who looked threatening all game. Eventually we couldn't get close to them at all.

Then we played Man Utd at home and again it was a problem with space in behind. We wanted the entire team to press higher, which gave us the lead, but we shot ourselves in the foot by not being alert/dynamic enough. Jags was blamed, although in my opinion we played a ridiculously high line, and they punished us for it.

So, three of our problems have been:

• A defensive line that's lacked organisation, dynamism and alertness, whether it's been high or deep
  • An isolated midfield struggling to cover enough space
  • A knackered midfield struggling going forward because of their defensive work load

Last night we got things spot on.

Jagielka was phenomenal in organising our defence. They dropped deeper to prevent space when they had to, but pushed up again to help make us compact. Basham and Ampadu were also excellent, breaking out of defence to make interceptions and challenges, but they also dropped deeper when there was a threat in behind. We haven't seen such a dynamic defensive display since last season. We switched very effectively between pressing high and defending deep.

I think this made it easier for our midfielders to do their job and indeed we saw both energy and composure from them, which we've missed this season. I think their work rate has been good (we've been top in terms of kms covered this season), but they've done so much work in vain because they've simply had too much ground to cover. Last night the distance between our players and between our line were excellent. Let's not forget the defensive work of McGoldrick and Sharp either. We got stuck in and made a lot of challenges, winning a number of balls in midfield. We also managed to play some nice football following us breaking up their play.

There were some things about Man United's team that "suited" us. Their danger men are Rashford and Greenwood, besides Fernandes. So our wing backs weren't just occupied by anyone. They were marking two of the opposition's biggest threats, and they did this very well. Both our wing backs and certainly our wide centre halves were more careful about bombing forward. We were in control when they broke almost every time, a big change from the fixture at the Lane. So it suited us that two of their main threats were in wide positions. Baldock and Bryan coped well.

Man United also had two holding midfielders in Pogba and Matic. Thought they were quite static and often had to get past Sharp and McGoldrick when they started building attacks. They may have been done better leaving the deep playmaking to their centre halves, something Maguire does well, but not Tuanzebe.

Up front Martial had a poor game. This left Fernandes as a central threat. He can be excellent, but he just didn't find space to do real damage. Our midfield, helped by two very aggressive and alert wide centre backs made sure that Fernandes found little space in central areas, and the same went for Rashford and Greenwood whenever they roamed centrally.

After the break they actually did push Telles higher, and they did enjoy some more pressure, winning the free kicks and the corner kick they scored from. Not sure if Burke's arrival a bit sooner may have helped prevented this, but he gave us another threat when he did come on. A that stage they were also looking more vulnerable with the likes of Martial struggling to do his job defensively.

Other things that helped:

• Getting an early lead
  • McGoldrick and Sharp holding the ball up
  • Ramsdale being alert to a couple of through balls
  • Our players' composure, we played nice football when we could. This gave our defence a break and frustrated Man Utd.

To sum up we were excellently organised. When it's like that average players can beat better ones.

Heard a coach whose philosophy when selecting players wasn't just "how good are you". He always asked "Who are you good together with?" Those 11 + subs were certainly good together last night.

I've mentioned before that teams have found ways to counter act our style this season. Part of it has been to occupy our wing backs when we are defending. Meaning they've become passive, holding their position, marking an opposition wide player and not helping the midfield out with pressing. The latter point has been the main objective from the opposition teams' perspective. It's not been about actually attacking our wing backs down the flanks - they've just wanted to remove them from our midfield's aggressive pressing, chasing and preventing space.

This has several times isolated our midfield three, and whoever we've put there have struggled to cover enough space. This has seen opposition danger men in more central position find space to hurt us.

Leicester was an example, pushing their two wing backs high up the pitch, occupying our wing backs. Our defence feared the pace of Vardy' so stayed deep. This meant our midfield had acres of space to cover and they couldn't get close to their real danger men, who in turn opened us up.

In the next game we played Southampton, who also pushed players high up in the wide positions. We tried to tweak things, realising we had to reduce the space we gave the opposition in midfield. We did this by trying to play a high line. But this meant there were acres of space behind our defence, which looked disorganised. Southampton saw this and played a number of balls in behind for their danger men Adams and Ings, who looked threatening all game. Eventually we couldn't get close to them at all.

Then we played Man Utd at home and again it was a problem with space in behind. We wanted the entire team to press higher, which gave us the lead, but we shot ourselves in the foot by not being alert/dynamic enough. Jags was blamed, although in my opinion we played a ridiculously high line, and they punished us for it.

• A defensive line that's lacked organisation, dynamism and alertness, whether it's been high or deep
  • A knackered midfield struggling going forward because of their defensive work load

Jagielka was phenomenal in organising our defence. They dropped deeper to prevent space when they had to, but pushed up again to help make us compact. Basham and Ampadu were also excellent, breaking out of defence to make interceptions and challenges, but they also dropped deeper when there was a threat in behind. We haven't seen such a dynamic defensive display since last season. We switched very effectively between pressing high and defending deep.

I think this made it easier for our midfielders to do their job and indeed we saw both energy and composure from them, which we've missed this season. I think their work rate has been good (we've been top in terms of kms covered this season), but they've done so much work in vain because they've simply had too much ground to cover. Last night the distance between our players and between our line were excellent. Let's not forget the defensive work of McGoldrick and Sharp either. We got stuck in and made a lot of challenges, winning a number of balls in midfield. We also managed to play some nice football following us breaking up their play.

There were some things about Man United's team that "suited" us. Their danger men are Rashford and Greenwood, besides Fernandes. So our wing backs weren't just occupied by anyone. They were marking two of the opposition's biggest threats, and they did this very well. Both our wing backs and certainly our wide centre halves were more careful about bombing forward. We were in control when they broke almost every time, a big change from the fixture at the Lane. So it suited us that two of their main threats were in wide positions. Baldock and Bryan coped well.

Man United also had two holding midfielders in Pogba and Matic. Thought they were quite static and often had to get past Sharp and McGoldrick when they started building attacks. They may have been done better leaving the deep playmaking to their centre halves, something Maguire does well, but not Tuanzebe.

Up front Martial had a poor game. This left Fernandes as a central threat. He can be excellent, but he just didn't find space to do real damage. Our midfield, helped by two very aggressive and alert wide centre backs made sure that Fernandes found little space in central areas, and the same went for Rashford and Greenwood whenever they roamed centrally.

After the break they actually did push Telles higher, and they did enjoy some more pressure, winning the free kicks and the corner kick they scored from. Not sure if Burke's arrival a bit sooner may have helped prevented this, but he gave us another threat when he did come on. A that stage they were also looking more vulnerable with the likes of Martial struggling to do his job defensively.

• Getting an early lead
  • Our players' composure, we played nice football when we could. This gave our defence a break and frustrated Man Utd.

To sum up we were excellently organised. When it's like that average players can beat better ones.

Heard a coach whose philosophy when selecting players wasn't just "how good are you". He always asked "Who are you good together with?" Those 11 + subs were certainly good together last night.
We wanted it more............the end

If only Jags was a few years younger. As much as I love Egan I don't think he can lead a defense as good as jags did last night

Very nice summary!
We were really on our game last night.
There were a couple of moments second half when I thought “we’ve got this”.

Firstly, someone tackled Pogba very strongly (Fleck?). You could tell he didn’t like it. Maybe he aggravated something because after that his head dropped.

Secondly, late in the game when Bash was dispossessed deep in our area, as the ball was squared across for a potential tap in, someone (Jags?) came flying in brilliantly to clear for a corner.

City play a similar style to Man U, so harsh though it may sound, I would keep Jags in the team for Saturday. Egan is good individually but he doesn't organise the defence and has a tendency to get too tight to fast players, which is why he’s been turned a few times already this season. I would put him straight back in if they had a dominant aerial player but not against teams who mostly play it on the ground.

Very nice summary!

Firstly, someone tackled Pogba very strongly (Fleck?). You could tell he didn’t like it. Maybe he aggravated something because after that his head dropped.

Secondly, late in the game when Bash was dispossessed deep in our area, as the ball was squared across for a potential tap in, someone (Jags?) came flying in brilliantly to clear for a corner.

Re: Pogba, this was in the first half but certainly stood out to me (Norwood with the tackle):

What Bergen said ...

Agree with much, if not all of that. Certainly we had a different 'style' of playing our system last night and there was much less Wilderball - this 'push it up the wing/hit the four-man block/backwards/across the back line/try the other wing' silliness which oppositions have been mopping up all season. Eventually either on the wing or during the transition, we lose the ball and are then in full retreat, having achieved nothing. Since the Plymouth game, Norwood seems to have cottoned on that a forward pass into the feet of Sharp or McGoldrick produces far more opportunity, and last night he was doing just that, and also Fleck and Lundstram seemed to be far more agile in supporting him and tracking back quickly to defend where needed. It was a completely different approach, and it worked. And yes, we have stopped the RWB/LWB plus RCB/LCB forays because it now is defunct. Stay solid and aligned and attack through conventional channels. We stayed in the same shape - you could see that all game, but we stayed in shape and moved up the pitch linearly rather than 'up one side'. And Sharp with the ball at his feet in the box is a better goalscoring prospect than tippy-tappy out wide trying to formulate that sweet-spot crossing moment.

pommpey

Insightful and interesting as always Bergen, always enjoy your tactical posts. That combination of organisation and desire is what our success was built on last season. Get that right and the quality starts to look after itself. Ramsdale didn't have an awful lot to do which was a testament to our shape and concentration.

Jags was the surprise for me. I really had thought he was past it but last night he, and Billy, were the team's inspiration.
UTB

There were fantastic performances all over the pitch last night, but we need to beware too of getting carried away with too much hyperbole.

Last night, a standard was set. Players we doubted, showed what they can do. They need to maintain that standard now because we've seen they can do it.

Ramsdale being alert to a couple of through balls
He certainly played more as a 'sweeper keeper' last night, he looked to be under instruction to be aware of the possibility of Jags getting caught out by the ball down the side of him. He did really well last night.

Heard a coach whose philosophy when selecting players wasn't just "how good are you". He always asked "Who are you good together with?"

Slightly off topic but that quote made me think of Berge. I feel he's so much better than those around him, we've not seen anywhere near his best. Not to put down the abilities of Baldock, Fleck and Norwood as they are of similar ability and "click" together, whereas Berge doesn't, and despite being the superior player we don't get to see his true ability.

Like you mentioned, the hold up play was key I thought. When you set up the way we did its vital to be able to get the ball up the pitch and it stay there. Relieves pressure and allows you to get your back off the wall. And at times, I thought we knocked it around brilliantly, even when pressed in the corners. It was a good call starting Billy and Didz, worked a treat, especially when they play like that.

• Getting an early lead

Agree with that plus ,the spine were all vocal experienced organisers ,Jags-Norwood-Sharp with Ramsdale having a good one.

Re: Pogba, this was in the first half but certainly stood out to me (Norwood with the tackle):

Pogbas reaction :D Probably frustrated with himself that he didnt dive and get a free kick.

Very nice summary!

I almost fell into the trap myself because I didn’t think we were that good...regards controlled expansive football.
However it was noticeable just how poor Man Utd looked...they looked clueless and struggled to create a single chance.

Then I thought back to last season and even some of our games in the promotion season.
We had this knack of making teams struggle and look poor.....it’s no coincidence and the players deserve credit.

Agree with all points. Against big teams it makes a huge difference getting through the first half either level or ahead. We can then look to be hard to beat, exactly what happened last season

Great analysis - I agree with pretty much all of this.

What confused me is that the defence looked so well organised last season and only shaky with Jags in. I don't want to be too critical of Egan as without him I think we would have got some proper batterings. But for whatever reason, it worked with an unfamiliar back line.

We looked confident in each other at the back for the first time in a long time - including Rammers. It's just my conjecture, but it has recently seemed like Egan has lost trust in those around him and is taking on all the defending himself which can't work. Maybe Jags coming in and needing to marshall the back line rather than do it all himself restored that faith within our defence and got us back to playing as a unit. As an example, we seemed far less nervous seeing out the match against an in form Man Utd than we did against Newcastle or Brighton.

Maybe we just needed a bit of a reset and Jags provided that. If we can get the defence routinely playing as a unit I'll be very happy.

Come on Blades we’re clutching at straws a little bit here. It wasn’t long ago that 99% of blades wouldn’t have Jags anywhere near the first team. Yes he was brilliant last night......But to replace an available John Egan....really?

• Getting an early lead

Once again, excellent analysis that goes far beyond anything I ever notice.

When the manager's position eventually becomes vacant I think you should apply!

Nail on head. Looking at the weekend vs Man City - feel we need to focus on being organised again - this doesn't mean attacking or defensive. Just a balanced, organised approach, where we press and drop at the right times, demonstrate composure and patience where required, and at times counter on the break.

Keeping Jags in is a really difficult one - on one hand, why change a winning team. on the other - he looked absolutely fooked after man utd, i'm not sure his fitness is up to it - this will massively impact his performance too. Kean Bryan stays if fit imo.

I think we actually have a chance of getting something from Man City (reference - 15/12/20 1-1 v WBA). I think with renewed confidence and taking a similar approach as we did on Weds, we could nick a point. Don't forget City have their own problems - they have a bit of a striker crisis going on - it might turn out to be 'one of those afternoons' for them. I worry about our set piece vulnerability though.

Back
Top Bottom