This result didn’t matter but…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Worth remembering that after Burnley beat us to pretty much guarantee themselves the title, they drew at Reading and Rotherham and lost at home to QPR. They knew their work was done and naturally dropped off the pace a bit, that and coming out the other end of an epic hangover.

Last thing anyone wants is any key players getting injured in games that, to them, simply have to be fulfilled, same for us. Different for the opposition of course but its the same scenario for a lot of teams at this time of the season.

The next round of games is meaningless for all except these
1683275909031.png

I was at Huddersfield last night, first half should have been 2 possibly 3 goals up, second half a none event, going through the motions, end of some of there utd careers in my opinion. My concern is whats happening behind the scenes if its not sorted it could be a bit of a car crash!! Next 4 weeks could define were we might be at next season.

The game was an abomination. I've seen a lot of posters, especially on Shoutbox saying how brilliantly we played in the first half. They are mistaken. We were just given the ball by the opposition in the first half as they lined up with everyone behind the ball and retreated into their own penalty area as if to ask "what are you going to do about that?" The answer was not much. Sure, Jebbison had two and a half chances but I'd like to see what our xG was because I'm sure it was comfortably less than 1.

For the most part it was pretty much Egan to Basham to Egan to Robinson to Berge to Bashham to Egan. On the occasions we decided to pass it in amongst the Huddersfield team we had one player - Jebbison - in the box while everyone else hovered around the perimeter.

No doubt we thought the second half would follow the same pattern. Instead Huddersfield took us by surprise. After they scored they reverted to the boilerplate method of blanket defence that stood us in such good stead for 44 minutes of the semi final and we looked even more clueless without Ndiaye than we had in the first half.

But.... everyone knew that the game had no payoff for us. It's human nature to scrap like hell when it matters and ease off when it doesn't. Even if you're intention is to win you can't escape the knowledge that there's nothing riding on it.

There's no point over-reacting to a defeat in a game that was merely fulfilling our obligations. What it did show in stark relief is that there are a handful of players who should be thanked profusely for their great past service, told they'll always be well remembered, and then advised that the autumn of their careers would be more usefully spent elsewhere.

I've seen a lot of posters, especially on Shoutbox saying how brilliantly we played in the first half. They are mistaken.
Yeah, I don't get this. You could have put one of this forum on the pitch first half and would have strolled through it. Huddersfield literally played like a tired team trying to desperately see out the last 10 minutes of a game and all we did was create 3 chances (and one was through their error). All they did was hoof the ball back at us.

I thought we were poor first half. Moved the ball round way too slowly and failed to create width to stretch them. We had no width on the right (as Furious was clearly drunk and spent half of it on the left) and only got behind them once. I was frustrated at our refusal to take risks or play first time balls despite there being absolutely no pressure. Nothing stuck upfront and there was really poor movement. On several occasions you could see CBs getting frustrated as they had no one to pass to.

It doesn't matter. We're up, it's the end of the season, half the team are either out of contract or might not be here next season. You can see why we might not be really up for it. But it certainly wasn't a good first half performance, let alone brilliant.

The team selection last night was all about testing the squad out

Not quite sure if serious? Jebbison got some minutes, other than that, what was tested that is actually going to make a difference going forward? Stevens came on but nobody's expecting him here next year. Same with Fleck. Same with Sharp, although I wouldn't put it past them to extend as emergency depth that'll do nothing next season. We know Basham's just cover. If any of the "squad" that was "tested" gets anything other than emergency minutes next season, something has gone very wrong. I could believe you if Coulibaly played but he was an unused sub! That's what annoys me, not the defeat, but we learned next to fuck all useful. I'd rather us have started Coulibaly and another kid instead of giving outgoing senior pros minutes even if we lost more heavily

Edit - Christ, Jebbo went off on 52? That's even worse than I first thought

OP must be starved of attention and in need of a hug.

Pretty sure the names mentioned won't be making career/financial decisions based on two meaningless games! If Villa offer Berge £60k a week and a 5 year deal - pretty sure last night has no bearing, similar if Fulham offer Ndiaye £80k a week...

If you want to be negative, then fine. But fuck me next year is going to be brutal for you!!!

Not quite sure if serious? Jebbison got some minutes, other than that, what was tested that is actually going to make a difference going forward? Stevens came on but nobody's expecting him here next year. Same with Fleck. Same with Sharp, although I wouldn't put it past them to extend as emergency depth that'll do nothing next season. We know Basham's just cover. If any of the "squad" that was "tested" gets anything other than emergency minutes next season, something has gone very wrong. I could believe you if Coulibaly played but he was an unused sub! That's what annoys me, not the defeat, but we learned next to fuck all useful. I'd rather us have started Coulibaly and another kid instead of giving outgoing senior pros minutes even if we lost more heavily

Edit - Christ, Jebbo went off on 52? That's even worse than I first thought
I'm with you. Midfield with Coulibally and Arblaster. Jebbison and Osula up front. See if Kyron Gordon has developed from his last first team showings...

We know what we'll get from Basham, Fleck and Norwood. Get them rested and up to altitude for some Lance Armstrong training for next season. And yes, I can see all of them being back next season!!

similar if Fulham offer Ndiaye £80k a week...

If Fulham were to do that, we'd be horrifically negligent not to offer him the same in an extension with a relegation release clause. £80k/week sounds like a lot, particularly for those with the mentality that pints of beer should still be available for a quid, if you rationalise it as "how much forward can we get for £4m next year if it isn't Ndiaye" it appears the simplest thing to do ever

I will offer you this.
The result didn't matter.
But to a player like Jebbo, last night could have been the difference between a full season in the Premier league, and a year on loan in Legue 1.

Great season

Players and squad managed to almost perfection

I’m amazed we hammered Preston taking into acct they had the playoffs to go for and we had been on the lash (see Fulham last game last season )

… but maybe most are correct - last night showed our true colours and the other 44 games (plus cup) were the odd ones out .

Hide the knives , scissors and any other treasonable sharp implements

Don’t give a toss about Reading (or writing for that matter )

It might be me but I judge the players over the season, and what we achieved..

Every classic blades team I've ever seen had an off day or two along the way..

It's how you finish, and for me this will go down as a landmark season..

Shock horror, I don't care about the Brum result either!

I feel sorry for Reading but nowhere near as sorry as Everton/ Wimbledon and West Ham/ Liverpool/ Man U fans should have felt for us.

I realise this post might be a bit long in the tooth for some our our younger members. ;)

What would have been better would have been to see it finish 0-0 and see them celebrating a nil nil draw against us.

It would have brought back memories of another team. Can’t quite remember their name.

I think the result will matter to those fans that traveled to Huddersfield or paid to watch on SUTV.
At least it confirmed that Stevens, Sharp, Fleck, Basham and possibly Norwood will be no use in the Premier League and next week their careers at SUFC should come to a close. As bad a 2nd half display as you are ever likely to see against a very poor but willing side fighting to avoid the drop.
The result will certainly matter to Reading fans.

Exactly my feelings
I paid good money to go and watch that shite in the 2nd half
Add to your list of no use in the PL McBurnie
Im going to Birmingham on Monday hopefully the players may be a little more interested
Hopefully some youngsters in the team that might be bothered

As fans, we always want our team to win. It is those who need our team to win every game I worry about. We are just completing one of our best seasons in 70 years (automatic promotion, Cup semi-final), with a relatively unknown manager, a squad with some weaknesses, financial problems, ownership problems, injury problems, training-ground problems… Celebrate the achievements, put a meaningless 45 minutes at Huddersfield last night in its proper perspective. Would have been nice to win, but it was of no significance for us.

Are you for fucking real 2500 fans paid good money to watch that shite in the 2nd half
I presume you wasnt one of them
We dont need to win every game but a performance like we had in the 2nd half was unacceptable
It wasnt meaningless

…we are going into the summer transfer window and then the Prem.

Our key players Iliman, Anel, Sander, Tommy and McA will all have a lot of interest in them.

If we had taken that advancing army feeling from the West Brom and Preston games into the summer there would have been a really strong emotional pull on them to stay with us for next year at least.

Another result like today and it will be the opposite for them - job done this season, but now get into a Prem team that has a chance of a decent season.

Performances like today deflate the bubble of what we might seem to be able to offer to kids like them.

We really need a performance against the Bluenoses to get some optimism towards us back into their summer decision making.

Monday is really important now.

Going Up - Staying Down
UTB
Every game matters!

Are you for fucking real 2500 fans paid good money to watch that shite in the 2nd half
I presume you wasnt one of them
We dont need to win every game but a performance like we had in the 2nd half was unacceptable
It wasnt meaningless
I am sure it was a disappointment for those who went (my son and grandson went). But competitive sport, like any live performance, is unpredictable, and going to games after promotion has been achieved is always risking to see a below-par performance. Given all that United have got right on the pitch this season, I don’t think a stinker like last night merits more than a shrug of the shoulders. If we had bottled promotion in the last 10 games of the season, that would have had serious consequences. Last night’s game didn’t.

Just breathe deep. The team has worked wonders this year. Last night is truly unimportant. Be thankful for what you we have achieved and don’t get animated about the outcome of a match which we will never think about again.

Just breathe deep. The team has worked wonders this year. Last night is truly unimportant. Be thankful for what you we have achieved and don’t get animated about the outcome of a match which we will never think about again.
Amen

I am sure it was a disappointment for those who went (my son and grandson went). But competitive sport, like any live performance, is unpredictable, and going to games after promotion has been achieved is always risking to see a below-par performance. Given all that United have got right on the pitch this season, I don’t think a stinker like last night merits more than a shrug of the shoulders. If we had bottled promotion in the last 10 games of the season, that would have had serious consequences. Last night’s game didn’t.

The tickets were bought before automatic promotion had been achieved

Back
Top Bottom