Things which annoy you as a Sheffield United Fan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

blader

Reaction score
Let's take a break from speculating as to which hapless, hopeless numpty will be taking the poison chalice for next season and partake in a classic summer-type forum thread.

Apart from the obviously frustrating things on the field (No talent, no passion, losing playoffs etc etc) What else frustrates you about being a Sheffield united fan in your every day life?

I'll go first and I tell you what winds me right up. This morning I saw a guy who I haven't spoken to for about 6 months. Got chatting as you do, and then moved on the the topic of football. To which he says 'Oh ye, you're a Sheffield Wednesday fan, right?'.

This is one example of many many occasions in which this has occured and makes me mad for the rest of the day! Bet there's thousands of these for everyone

UTB

For me it's people who somehow seem to think I play for them and not just being mid fortunate enough to support them. Phrases like 'you were awful on Saturday' and 'you lost' spring to mind.

It would be far quicker and keep the forum speed up to a decent level to start a new thread about things that don't annoy you about being a Sheffield United fan.........
.........:tumbleweed:

Let's take a break from speculating as to which hapless, hopeless numpty will be taking the poison chalice for next season and partake in a classic summer-type forum thread.

Apart from the obviously frustrating things on the field (No talent, no passion, losing playoffs etc etc) What else frustrates you about being a Sheffield united fan in your every day life?

I'll go first and I tell you what winds me right up. This morning I saw a guy who I haven't spoken to for about 6 months. Got chatting as you do, and then moved on the the topic of football. To which he says 'Oh ye, you're a Sheffield Wednesday fan, right?'.

This is one example of many many occasions in which this has occured and makes me mad for the rest of the day! Bet there's thousands of these for everyone

UTB

I get that all the time as well. Women seem especially prone to it. You are getting along fine with a lady and you mention (as you do) your interest in football and your hopeless passion for Sheffield United. The next time you seem them, they politely ask "so how did Sheffield Wednesday do on Saturday". However, once I fix them with a steely look and say "Sheffield United", they rarely do it again.

I can only assume that it's because Wednesday have such an unusual name, that it sticks in the memory of even non football fans. They hear " Stevenage 5 Sheffield Wednesday 1" on the radio and think "a football team named after a day of the week - how cute!". And that's it - football + Sheffield = Wednesday.

United fans , Wednesday fans and the embarassing "banter" that goes on betweeñ .makes all sheffielder s look like twats

Pig fans who you don't see or hear for ten years, but are in your face now.

Typical conversation - pig "how did your lot get on?"
me "we lost"
pig "we won"
me "really, did you go?"
pig "not been for 25 years." (as if it something to be proud of).
me "well FUCK OFF and come back when you know what your talking about".

me "we lost"
pig "we won"
me "really, did you go?"

Yes, so many of them have come bursting out of the closet since May 5 2012. I have a simple rule; if they don't go home and away like I do, then I simply won't talk football with them. I carefully steer the conversation in a totally opposite direction.

me "we lost"
pig "we won"
me "really, did you go?"
Typical wire worker does that. At least you could go and smash Mr Few s office up.

Sloppy research re United. A small gripe, but 3 examples:

1. I have read 2 books in the last 2 years that assert that Mick Jones was a Leeds player when he made his England debut, which annoys me more than it should.

2. Jonathan Wilson describes Ernest Needham as a United goalkeeper in the first chapter of his new book, and the section on Fatty Foulke appears to contain a number of mistakes.

3. "Bramhall Lane"

When any team other than United get referred to simply as "United". We were the first one. How hard is it to say "Man U" to avoid any confusion, especially when they are playing against another United.

Sloppy research re United. A small gripe, but 3 examples:

1. I have read 2 books in the last 2 years that assert that Mick Jones was a Leeds player when he made his England debut, which annoys me more than it should.

2. Jonathan Wilson describes Ernest Needham as a United goalkeeper in the first chapter of his new book, and the section on Fatty Foulke appears to contain a number of mistakes.

3. "Bramhall Lane"

The old myth that Fatty Foulke died in poverty and was reduced in his last years to saving shots on Blackpool beach continues to do the rounds - most recently in Hunter Davies' column in the New Statesman.

The old myth that Fatty Foulke died in poverty and was reduced in his last years to saving shots on Blackpool beach continues to do the rounds - most recently in Hunter Davies' column in the New Statesman.

That is also in Wilson's book, and is particularly poor given that it is supposed to be a work specifically about keepers. Wilson does not list Graham Pythian's book on Foulke in his bibliography, and given he wrote 10 pages on Foulke he should have read it.

That is also in Wilson's book, and is particularly poor given that it is supposed to be a work specifically about keepers. Wilson does not list Graham Pythian's book on Foulke in his bibliography, and given he wrote 10 pages on Foulke he should have read it.

Actually what is more annoying are the howling errors about United in books about United - in particular, the huge number of errors in Gary Armstrong's "Biography" and Warnock in his autobiography describing Wilko de Vogt as a full back.

Anybody who assumes that United is Man United ...

While looking around the Decathlon store on Eyre Street, a stones throw away from Bramall Lane prior to the play off home leg with Yeovil I overheard two male Decathlon employees;

Employee 1: "Are United at home tonight"
Employee 2: "What, Man United"?

Anybody who assumes that United is Man United ...

While looking around the Decathlon store on Eyre Street, a stones throw away from Bramall Lane prior to the play off home leg with Yeovil I overheard two male Decathlon employees;

Employee 1: "Are United at home tonight"
Employee 2: "What, Man United"?

I've already had the "United" one, but you're right, it gets right on my tits!

I get the West Ham thing same as Walthy, tedious to say the least. The 'United' thing really grates.

And being constantly asked by Spurs fans if we've got anymore decent academy players like Walker and Naughton they can have! Now, where's that twat thread?

Things which annoy you as a Sheffield United fan

Currently, just about everything.

I get the United/Wednesday thing a lot as well. I've now started doing it in reverse - every time I get asked by a Wolves-supporting colleague I ask him how West Brom are getting on!

Back
Top Bottom