Theory as to why it didn't work out with Slav

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slav should have done a big clean out as soon as taking charge. Get rid and rebuild. No manager would have got that lot playing anything like because they just don't care any more (Except Big Sam, he could whip them into shape. Or Tony Pullis)

Which is pretty much what Wilder had to do when he took over lest we forget. It had to be done and he cracked on and released a load (Hammond, Howard, Harris, Fadzean, McGahey, McEveley, Cuvelier, Flynn, Baxter, Campbell-Ryce) and transfer listed Freeman, both Wallaces, Coutts, Woolford. Got rid of the dead wood and got the best reaction out of Freeman and Coutts. Can't see a cull as effective as that happening again any time soon.

My theory on why Slav left. He arrived here as he would have been told that he would be able to bring in new signings by getting rid of dead wood like Norwood, Fleck, Stevens, Burke, Mc Burnie. Ramsdale and Berge would be sold for big money. Maybe Egan also for decent money. Only Ramsdale left for £24-25m. The rest above are on big wages, are shit and don’t care a toss

Which is pretty much what Wilder had to do when he took over lest we forget. It had to be done and he cracked on and released a load (Hammond, Howard, Harris, Fadzean, McGahey, McEveley, Cuvelier, Flynn, Baxter, Campbell-Ryce) and transfer listed Freeman, both Wallaces, Coutts, Woolford. Got rid of the dead wood and got the best reaction out of Freeman and Coutts. Can't see a cull as effective as that happening again any time soon.
That's not quire accurate. Wilder did great work that season but most of those players on your "released" list were out of contract, and we were never going to keep them.

Wilder had to sell to fund signings, but he did have one advantage, which was relatively clear decks. Jokanovic (and Adkins) did not have this advantage.

That's not quire accurate. Wilder did great work that season but most of those players on your "released" list were out of contract, and we were never going to keep them.

Wilder had to sell to fund signings, but he did have one advantage, which was relatively clear decks. Jokanovic (and Adkins) did not have this advantage.

Fair enough, I'll admit I didn't check back through all the contract dates.

Why isnt anyone blaming the players, ultimately its their fault. If our chances were converted we'd be in the play offs. If our duds and bums worked hard we'd be fine. The root of the problem has been the players (stevens, norwood, fleck mcburnie) and has been fr 18 months. Lets be real if Didzy finished of his chances we'd be much higher and slav may still be here. People can blame slav but when we played 4-2-3-1 we created much more chances than 3-5-2 and no one finished their chances off. The blame lies with the players

Slav walked in with a winning mentality after successful stints with Fulham and Watford... the players have just come off the back of a horrific prem season. I reckon Slav assumed his history and winning mentality was going to be enough to get the players going again...

Slav has said all along he "isn't here to make friends".

When Wilder took over, he walked in with a winning mentality after successful stints with Northampton and Oxford... the players have just come off the back of a horrific league one season. Wilder also probably assumed that his past and winning mentality would be enough to get the players going again...

Difference is, 4 or 5 games in, Wilder realised he needed to be more of a man-manager and get the most out of his players, hence the story with the stopping off at a newsagents and buying beer for everyone. By becoming more of a man-manager, that meant the players had more respect for him and therefore we willing to do anything for him. With time, the winning mentality came to the players and therefore the wins starting coming.

I feel Slav never changed his approach and wanted to stick to the tough guy winning mentality that the players maybe didn't want. Maybe they needed a proper man manager to get themselves back up and running again.

Hecky may be that man

The players didn't want a winning mentality? Says it all really

Slav walked in with a winning mentality after successful stints with Fulham and Watford... the players have just come off the back of a horrific prem season. I reckon Slav assumed his history and winning mentality was going to be enough to get the players going again...

Slav has said all along he "isn't here to make friends".

When Wilder took over, he walked in with a winning mentality after successful stints with Northampton and Oxford... the players have just come off the back of a horrific league one season. Wilder also probably assumed that his past and winning mentality would be enough to get the players going again...

Difference is, 4 or 5 games in, Wilder realised he needed to be more of a man-manager and get the most out of his players, hence the story with the stopping off at a newsagents and buying beer for everyone. By becoming more of a man-manager, that meant the players had more respect for him and therefore we willing to do anything for him. With time, the winning mentality came to the players and therefore the wins starting coming.

I feel Slav never changed his approach and wanted to stick to the tough guy winning mentality that the players maybe didn't want. Maybe they needed a proper man manager to get themselves back up and running again.

Hecky may be that man
One difference is the players could understand Wilder but found Slav s serbian pigeon english a difficulty and the other spanish coaches english
also difficult to comprehend. The only spanish the players know is probably Cuinta San Miguel por favour which doesnt help on the training ground.

This could be James Shield just stirring the shit though. He follows up with this:

I tell you what they looked very much together after the match against Reading especially after what happened to Fleck.

What a load of bollocks that is. Lads would rather hang out with people closer to their age? no shit. That's called life.

This could be James Shield just stirring the shit though. He follows up with this:

I tell you what they looked very much together after the match against Reading especially after what happened to Fleck.

Journalism 101

One difference is the players could understand Wilder but found Slav s serbian pigeon english a difficulty and the other spanish coaches english
also difficult to comprehend. The only spanish the players know is probably Cuinta San Miguel por favour which doesnt help on the training ground.

Funny how players at other English clubs can manage with foreign coaches.

Slav was the unanimous choice on here. He had a track record of promotion from this division. He'd had success almost everywhere he went in his managerial career. At the time, it seemed like the perfect appointment.

But the board didn't back him. We still don't have a winger in the squad. Is that his fault? He also clearly wasn't given enough time. Appointing a manager with a totally new way of playing, and then getting rid six months in, is a catastrophic decision no matter how you spin it.

Not like he was blameless though. Once he didn't get the players in he wanted, it's up to him to find a solution. It's not like he has a poor squad - it's just unbalanced. He was too inflexible and couldn't find a formation that suited the team in six months. By the end, almost every player in the starting XI was playing out of position. That's inexcusable.

Why on earth would anyone want to theorize on a question that always had a very simple and obvious answer?

Pretty fair assessment there, I think the language was a barrier, someone once said Spanish was Slavs and the coaching staffs second language, where did English feature, it's OK speaking English, different ball game trying to add wit, sarcasm and basic one line punch lines to get through to the players though
The language barrier does not appear to be stopping Leeds
Or prevented Venables and Robson succeeding in Spain

It was SJ's lack of flexibility or ability to recognise the strengths of the players we had

Interview-
PA- There will be little movement for transfers in, only loans. So how would you make the most of the players already at the club?

That should have been the question asked, I doubt SJ said he would play them the way they know and look to add a bit of quality on loan in attacking areas. If this wasn’t part of the process then its No surprise of failure happening.

Fault lay solely at the feet of the board.
Took too long.
Had no plan
Picked the wrong manager for what they had to offer.

SJ was sold a dud

I don’t think it was language Norwood played under Slav before and bee successful. This squad was built to play a certain way and respond to a certain type of character Slav didn’t play that way or manage that way. He was trying to change the whole culture of the club but that’s expensive and takes time. Hecky has reverted our style of play and is a similar man manager to wilder

Back
Top Bottom