The Welsh becoming English?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Foxy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know we discussed this following the Cardiff match, but it seems they actually want it to happen :confused:

Cardiff and Swansea are in talks with the English FA in a bid to quit the Football Association of Wales. (Daily Mirror, Daily Mail)

If they want to play in the English leagues, they should be answerable to the English FA. The current system is a joke.

not unheard of. Derry City are members of the FAI (republic of ireland) despite being in the North, while Insititute in the same city are members of the IFA (northern ireland). I think I'm right in saying it's the only city with 2 premiership clubs in 2 different countries. And City are the only team to have won all major honours in two different existing countries (having been in the IFA up till the early 70s).

How's about that Fact Fans. Pub Quiz gold, that.

Ive loads of relations in Derry & was born there. My dads side all still live there. its a great party city!!

Anyway ermmm back on topic. Would Fifa Allow this? seeing as they are both over the Border?

Would Fifa Allow this? seeing as they are both over the Border?

Hi Kev - that's my point about Derry City - they are registered in a different country and have been since 1986 with FIFA/ UEFA approval, so there's a clear precedent there that says the welsh teams can swap. I think it requires a full vote by existing members of the FA you're moving to.

Derry City -N0
the english league are just flooding in other countries teams
its like this proposal for the Premier League 2 With Rangers & Celitc

I dont like sound of that:(

Derry City -N0
the english league are just flooding in other countries teams
its like this proposal for the Premier League 2 With Rangers & Celitc

I dont like sound of that:(

??? on anumber of fronts...
???1 Good use of the Paisley style NO, but I think you miss the point of the example I was using. No one's suggesting Irish teams want to join the english leagues. Just demonstrating it is possible to register in a different country.

???2 I believe Swansea & Cardiff have been playing in the english leagues for some time now unless I have been on crack for some years. This is an attempt to tidy up the FA jurisdiction so all teams playing in the league answer to the same body.

???3 The Glasgow teams question is a different issue - they aren't already playing in the English Leagues.

Off theme - but is it true that Derry City changed their club colours to ours because Ireland's first captain was a Blade?

No. The change in colours was due to Billy Gillespie, who left United for Derry to be player-manager. The colours were changed in his honour shortly after he joined.

Hi Kev - that's my point about Derry City - they are registered in a different country and have been since 1986 with FIFA/ UEFA approval, so there's a clear precedent there that says the welsh teams can swap. I think it requires a full vote by existing members of the FA you're moving to.

Suppose your right then!

If the Welsh want to become English they can start by standing nearer the soap next time they get wet.

Apologies if this offends any Welshies reading this. Sorry, stinkers.:D

I think it was more down to the (alleged) fact that the Belfast based (and predominantly Unionist) IFA consistently refused to allow Derry City back into the league, as Derry insisted on playing at Brandywell.

They left the league in the early 70s after Brandywell was closed for fixtures despite it being as safe as anywhere else. Instead, Derry (a Nationalist city) were told to play home matches at (Unionist) Coleraine. Remember the hoohah about the 93 Semi-Final being played in Leeds? Multiply that by about 10 and add to it all League matches, and you'll get the level of feeling in Derry.

After the best part of fifteen years of playing lower league football, they eventually approached the LOI when it was restructured. I suspect that the (alleged) sectarian problems were the reason why they were allowed to switch FAs, as they're allowed to steward themselves, rather than the RUC being present.

Anyway, back to Wales. I'd imagine that the Welsh clubs won't be allowed to register with the FA, but would be given 'wild cards' if there was a chance that they'd get to Europe.

Back
Top Bottom