The shape of things to come...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
League 2 was a difficult time to be a Blade, this current dilemma is a less existential problem for the club.

I can't imagine Wilder will be going anywhere soon. He'll be given one chance to get us back, that was the plan from the outset.

Problem now is we've a squad full of players who have experience and memories of 1 or 2 seasons of being battered in the Premier League; I fear that now sets a "we're the 21st to 23rd" best professional squad in England & Wales (at best). That leaves them in a psychologically fragile place should we be promoted again at the end of the 24/25 season.

There needs to be an entire squad clear-out and that's not going to happen either.

Rock and a hard place. We're not established in that recent Norwich/Burnley/Watford yo-yo model. Board will probably be committed to becoming the worst yo-yo club ever, always good enough to come back, never good enough to stay up! As the alternative means a decade or more meandering around the Championship/League 1 wilderness again!

If Wilder doesn't manage to keep us up or get us back at the first attempt, then providing he hasn't been too successful elsewhere (!) full-houses in the Championship and a decent youth academy may be enough to attract Alexander Blessin from RUSG in Belgium?!? [Personal preference].

Additionally, it's all likely to be pretty future career defining for Wilder too. Where will he go after this, should it continue to implode?

PS: I foolishly hoped for a surprise 1-0 victory last night (or a 0-5 hammering) - it was slightly worse.

It will be interesting to see what team we put out for the final game of the season against Spurs.

If we've anything to play for they'll probably crush us too, if not it could be a rather free-flowing and entertaining game involving Blades players who see their future here!

3-2 to the Blades 😉 UTB

PS: There's always an upside; the end-of-season merchandise sale will probably start sooner than expected this year 🤣

The longer this season drags on, the more I agree that there needs to be a total rebuild. Forget giving McBurnie, Egan, Norwood etc one more year. Get them all out and get a new squad of players in who aren't scarred by this total shitshow of a season.

It's time to move on completely from the Wilder era. Norwood and Egan should have been on the pitch with Fleck last night as great servants to the club, but players whose best years are long gone. It's scandalous that they're mostly still here.

Back
Top Bottom