The proverbial towel

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CPB

Reaction score
After today's result there's too many fans who are chucking in the towel.

Its fair to say that today's result was a big one for us. It was always going to be.
The win would have boosted us no end and the loss is really hard to take.
What makes it worse is that we were 90 seconds from an unexpected 3 points Vs villa and that would have softened the blow of today.

But we cannot just throw in the towel because it looks inevitable.

Yeah we are looking certs to finish bottom in a way but equally like Wilder has said before there is always something to play for. Whether that be pride, whether that be getting ourselves more prepared for next season after relegation.
Or whether the team somehow string enough wins together to miraculously stay up.

Every match we still need to see us going for it still and not being too blindly optimistic but there's a heck of alot of points still to play for.

We can be realistic but let's not lose the faith.
Even if the 2nd half of the season is really just setting the groundworks for next season it's something to build and progress with.

I get what you’re saying but when certain players show apathy and throw in the towel this transfers to the fans. We’re going down but with a whimper really. The only thing that will peak my interest for next season will be getting rid of the dross that should have gone three years ago. Get rid of the players that don’t want to here and get players in who do want to bust a gut. I go no matter what but my patience is wafer thin this season. I’ve just got a feeling of total boredom going to the matches, it’s just a chore. Today just got on my tits more than any game this season, just amateur hour. Give us something to shout about and get excited for,

The worst thing is, the club is so badly managed, constantly.
Everyone that has a go at it is has already received the memo of "we don't expect owt" " sign cheap, any fucker'll do" "poor quality is good enough as long as they graft" "We don't need all this modern thinking bollocks"

And every Chairman is all too keen to continue with the Status Quo.

No wonder the fans lose heart, here we are in the Premier League, and because of the above built in criteria we don't expect much as a Premier League club, but even then they have to go the extra yard in making it as miserable, boring and depressing as possible.

Clubs are losing fans hand over fist to the moneybags clubs, our house is 34 miles away from the Etihad and fans of tomorrow will have no loyalty whatsoever to their home town club, this has already happened all over the Country and Sheffield is one of the last bastions of local pride left. Outside of the Cities that have the giant clubs Sheffield probably has more support for its local clubs than any other in the Country.
But it will disappear eventually over time, if the clubs don't get out of the 19th Century. It has already started, the Sheffield teams still have a large but dying out support and there are not as many coming through as there was before.

I can imagine us in 100 years and something miraculous happens that turns us into a decent club for a short period of time, and they'll be hardly anyone interested in seeing it.

Wherever the towel is being chucked, try to avoid Wes having to catch it.
He can catch... But less stop em from going through the legs.

I get what you’re saying but when certain players show apathy and throw in the towel this transfers to the fans. We’re going down but with a whimper really. The only thing that will peak my interest for next season will be getting rid of the dross that should have gone three years ago. Get rid of the players that don’t want to here and get players in who do want to bust a gut. I go no matter what but my patience is wafer thin this season. I’ve just got a feeling of total boredom going to the matches, it’s just a chore. Today just got on my tits more than any game this season, just amateur hour. Give us something to shout about and get excited for,
Thing is though I don't think they did throw in the towel. We showed in the 2nd half that they wanted it.
One corner and like wilder said they were dropping too deep and we got unlucky under pressure.

I agree with CW that we shouldn't feel unlucky but really we were.
You play that match out nearly exactly again and they don't get the rub of the green for their 2nd and 3rd goals.

But my main sentiment is, we haven't got 5 games left we've got 19.
There's alot to play for even if it's just building and prepping for next season and making our points total respectable.

Its fair to say that today's result was a big one for us. It was always going to be.
What makes it worse is that we were 90 seconds from an unexpected 3 points Vs villa and that would have softened the blow of today.

Yeah we are looking certs to finish bottom in a way but equally like Wilder has said before there is always something to play for. Whether that be pride, whether that be getting ourselves more prepared for next season after relegation.
Or whether the team somehow string enough wins together to miraculously stay up.

Every match we still need to see us going for it still and not being too blindly optimistic but there's a heck of alot of points still to play for.

Even if the 2nd half of the season is really just setting the groundworks for next season it's something to build and progress with.
It’s really ‘fans’ like you who trot on here and slag the blades fans off who we could do to get rid of for the rest of the season.
The players quite clearly chucked the towel in today before the fans did. But you obviously didn’t go. Even though it was a sell out.
Still you won’t mention that brilliant support will you.

Still plenty of points to play for, but an already difficult task has become even harder.

The problem is that is hard to see where we get a clean sheet from, which means we will always need to score more than 1 goal. Something we don't manage very often.

Unless the Prince sells up we can forget next season too we need a miracle now.

We have to gain 9 more points than the the current 4th placed side Forest in the second half of the season.

Can it happen...who nose.

Luton with the jam they had against us are more likely to gain more points and get to safety.

Fans will still turn up, we can complain about the fact that the board set the team up for immediate relegation with its actions in the summer. If they gave up then it doesn’t send a good message to the fans does it?!

Hopefully we get a semi respectable points tally of 20 or more but I can see it being a hard task. We seem to have found a knack of not winning PL games from some decent positions this season.

Keep the hammerings down to a minimum and most will accept that for the remainder of the season, performances and endeavour have improved.

Unfortunately we can’t change the players at this point of the season and they’re clearly playing at a level that they can’t compete. That’s the fault of the management structure of the club for their sale of assets and lack of decent replacements.

The Towel was in before Kick off when Nottingham Forest won.

Reality check ........... to have any chance of survival we will have to average 1.5pts per game that is win lose win lose until the last game. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.

I get what you’re saying but when certain players show apathy and throw in the towel this transfers to the fans. We’re going down but with a whimper really.
I take the original post to be that while the former is out of our control, the later is out own choice and their firmly within our control.

Here's to three points at Man City (cough).

My sentiments exactly mate, please chris get rid of the dross we've been carrying for years! I go home and away and sadly the 90 mins just bores the shit out of me and spoils the day, ( the beer before deadens the pain🙂) roll on Saturday for some more pain😂

Unless the Prince sells up we can forget next season too we need a miracle now.
IMO, this is right on the nail. Once the Prince chose to use the promotion windfall to pay off debts to help sell the club - then failed to sell - we were in the shite. No investment in quality players plus losing Ndaiyi and Berge and all we were really left with was hope.

That's what was lost yesterday - not Prem survival as that was always and outside shot - but the hope we may somehow manage to stay up just about shriveled up and blew away with yesterday's result.

All hope is not lost - just most of it. 😕

IMO, this is right on the nail. Once the Prince chose to use the promotion windfall to pay off debts to help sell the club - then failed to sell - we were in the shite. No investment in quality players plus losing Ndaiyi and Berge and all we were really left with was hope.

That's what was lost yesterday - not Prem survival as that was always and outside shot - but the hope we may somehow manage to stay up just about shriveled up and blew away with yesterday's result.

All hope is not lost - just most of it. 😕
Very good post SheepdipBlade. Basically, you have hit the nail on the head. Everything the prince has done, his primary purpose was to sell the club for a huge profit with the starting point that he paid next to nothing for the club. One has to call into question the judgement of the prince and the board on the issue of possible buyers. One is under investigation for fraud, the other in prison for fraud and financial related matters.

Regardless of the reasons, both Berge and Ndiaye were sold, leaving us on the back foot from the start of the season.

The players brought in, I thought were good enough to make a serious attempt at staying up but I can't help but think that we are caught in a perfect storm. Owner wanting to sell, initial manager out of his depth, leading to players having no confidence on the ball, lack of funds to improve the squad and best players sold.

When Sheffield United take a 2-1 lead with 20 minutes to go at home, most of the time I would be confident that we would win perhaps even score a third or fourth but this team is devoid of confidence. In future perhaps when we go 2-1 up at home just go for more goals instead of trying to see games over the line. There appears to be a fox caught in the headlights of a car mentality when we are in front in games.

Can't tell you how depressed I was after that result.

Back
Top Bottom