The new managers - reaching for the tablets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeFisher

Reaction score
Weir really has his problems now if as appears likely McDonald moves to Wolves.

Just thinking back to United's dabble with first job managers. Peters (relegation - though Haslam had a big influence), Heath (heading for relegation until rescued by our man from Cornwall) and now Weir. I've not included Morgan.

It is still early days but at the moment if nothing positive happens by the end of the transfer window you do wonder where the goals will come from.

The worrying thing is United are in a realistic downward spiral of no money to get out of trouble, a big club mentality, high fan expectation and massive debt.

Their only hope is to get a motivational manager who can work Bassett/Warnock like with a mixture of dross and young players. Bassett was exceptional at finding bugger all and turning them into a force to be reckoned with, even if it was ugly for some. Whether Weir is that we shall have to wait and see, but at the moment mid table might look like a major achievement!

I just want the games to come quite quickly now so we can try and find some positives (hopefully).

• Banned
What about Spackman, Speed and Bruce?

Thank goodness Swiss, you had me worried there. Yeah, Spackers and Bruce stood their ground and said get stuffed when it was cut from beneath them. Poor old Speed - we did end up relegated that season though, whether we would have gone down if he had not left for Wales, who knows.

Thank goodness Swiss, you had me worried there. Yeah, Spackers and Bruce stood their ground and said get stuffed when it was cut from beneath them. Poor old Speed - we did end up relegated that season though, whether we would have gone down if he had not left for Wales, who knows.

Tut tut, come on, tow the party line, it was all Micky Adams fault

Weir really has his problems now if as appears likely McDonald moves to Wolves.

Just thinking back to United's dabble with first job managers. Peters (relegation - though Haslam had a big influence), Heath (heading for relegation until rescued by our man from Cornwall) and now Weir. I've not included Morgan.

It is still early days but at the moment if nothing positive happens by the end of the transfer window you do wonder where the goals will come from.

The worrying thing is United are in a realistic downward spiral of no money to get out of trouble, a big club mentality, high fan expectation and massive debt.

Their only hope is to get a motivational manager who can work Bassett/Warnock like with a mixture of dross and young players. Bassett was exceptional at finding bugger all and turning them into a force to be reckoned with, even if it was ugly for some. Whether Weir is that we shall have to wait and see, but at the moment mid table might look like a major achievement!

I just want the games to come quite quickly now so we can try and find some positives (hopefully).

How many goals and assists did Macca get last season? Im not having a go about him but it does seem to me that alot on here do think he is better than he actually is. After all if he does go to Wolves he is STILL a league one player.

How many goals and assists did Macca get last season? Im not having a go about him but it does seem to me that alot on here do think he is better than he actually is. After all if he does go to Wolves he is STILL a league one player.

Ahh, but a considerably richer league one player than yow!

Tut tut, come on, tow the party line, it was all Micky Adams fault

Micky Adams bought his Port Vale team down to Market Harborough where I live last week to train, (Adams lives here). They dropped in at the local football club where my two lads were doing a summer soccer school. He went in to sign autographs and clocked my eldest in his Blades shirt straight away, beckoning him up to the front he gave his hair a boyish ruffle asked him if he had enjoyed the soccer school before signing his SUFC autograph book with an "Up The Blades" aftre his signature.....meant a lot to my lad that.

Once a Blade always a Blade.

I think Weir's biggest challenge is working with the garbage he has inherited at the club and getting them to deliver what he wants them to. Throughout the majority of his career he has played alongside and under top professionals so reducing his standards and levels of expectation will be a key limiter. Is it something he will have patience for?
Will it be too large a challenge for him to see through to the end?

Fans Keeping The Faith?
It's OK stating that we all need patience whilst this experiment takes it's course but by the time the brew has fermented will it all be too late anyway? The finances of the clubs in the Prem and Champ will be so far different from what we will have by then I can see we will be almost prohibited from going any further without a very, very wealthy benefactor - Our structure with the academy and the youth set up will be the only way to survive but it will also guarantee that we will end up being a feeder club to the much wealthier clubs higher up in the pyramid.

Some perspective on how we are doing in Division 3.
Of the so called bigger clubs to have slipped into this division in the last few decades it looks increasingly likely that we will be taking much longer than any of the others to pull ourselves out of the mire. Forest, Charlton and Leeds took 3 attempts and the Pigs have not had to endure more than two seasons on the trot in this league. Both Southampton and Norwich managed to gain successive promotions from this league all the way to the Prem. We look a million light years from emulating anything near that.

It's early days this season of course but I have not seen anything that gives me any level of trust that we will be remotely touching a promotion challenge this time around. The standard capitulation to 4th division Burton in successive seasons, the lack of fight on Saturday against a very competent Brentford team, the continuation of building the team around players that have consistently failed to deliver, the lack of chances created in every match (Notts County aside which for one brief moment seemed to be an epiphany but ended up being a mirage). This degree of stagnation has to be a major concern for the long term future of Sheffield United. It's inability to muster a serious challenge when it had the odds stacked in its favour, it's ineptitude to overcome the opposition in big occasion games, the propensity to shoot itself in the foot at every conceivable opportunity by selling players at critical times and not securing any serious replacement seems to be in marked contrast from all of its peers. It's a recipe for abject failure and we are reaping what has been sown.

If they were taking the tablets - odds on we would have the placebo batch!

I remember someone on here saying that we weren't the unluckiest team in the world, but we do have an unmatched capacity to fail to take chances to better ourselves. Four play-off final defeats, failing to save ourselves from relegation through the play-offs and not closing out the promotion push in our first season at this level all spring to mind. Failing to consolidate in the Premier League from a strong position at Christmas, too.

Back
Top Bottom