The Last of the "Centurions"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stretch

A member of approximately average size.
Reaction score
It was always going to be him, wasn't it?

With the unexpected departure of our wee Scottish maestro last night, Sir Christopher of Basham is now the sole survivor of that wonderful league 1 group who swept all aside in that division to reach 100 points, before embarking on a journey to the promised land itself.

I am not sure how I will cope when the final bell rings for that era, and he leaves us. I just really hope we see him play for us one more time.

chris-basham.jpg

With the unexpected departure of our wee Scottish maestro last night, Sir Christopher of Basham is now the sole survivor of that wonderful league 1 team who swept all aside in that division, did the same over 2 seasons in the division above and then took us on an all too brief tour of the promised land.

I am not sure how I will cope when the final bell rings for that era, and he leaves us. I just really hope we see him play for us one more time.

View attachment 178490
Sentimental old fool. And you are as well.
Summat in me eye ....

With the unexpected departure of our wee Scottish maestro last night, Sir Christopher of Basham is now the sole survivor of that wonderful league 1 group who swept all aside in that division to reach 100 points, before embarking on a journey to the promised land itself.

View attachment 178490
If we are relegated you may well see him again. He might even score the goal that has eluded him for so long. Perhaps way t Leeds ?!!

View attachment 178490
He won't play again, he's been offered a role on the coaching staff by wilder so will be moving into that.

Would love to see him manage a few minutes for that legendary side in his Testimonial at a full BDTBL against the current ensemble. If he gets one, it'll probably be vs Sunderland though won't it?

Bash is the ipitomy of what we want and expect from an SUFC footballer. So pleased that his injury occurred at the end of his career.
so pleased he staying around.

teach our future players how to emulate BASHAM Arriving

Am I missing something, are testimonials not something we do any more?!

there are so many players that have left over past 12 months who should have one... (Billy for one).

Am I missing something, are testimonials not something we do any more?!

there are so many players that have left over past 12 months who should have one... (Billy for one).
Technically players only ever qualified for testimonials after 10 years at the Club. I would imagine that over the last 20-30 years only Basham has come close to that (signed June 2014). Even Sharp mk3 only managed 8 years (July 2015 to June 2023).

Technically players only ever qualified for testimonials after 10 years at the Club. I would imagine that over the last 20-30 years only Basham has come close to that (signed June 2014). Even Sharp mk3 only managed 8 years (July 2015 to June 2023).
That's really interesting, thanks for explaining.

I can imagine they aren't that appreciated anymore either (imagine getting injured in a testimonial match) but like the idea of them.

Still the most consistent player we have on the books, even with 1 foot!
You always knew what you were getting with Bash, not the best player, but a massive heart!!!
Get well soon Bash!!!

Those 4 seasons from 2016-20 were easily the best of my entire Blades supporting life which has reached it's 44th year.

That journey from winning League 1 with 100 points and our new innovative style, the conquering of the old foe in the Bouncing Day Massacre onto the fantastic promotion season including the Basham's arriving moment and then dreaming of European football, beating Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs and a very respectable 9th finish was just incredible.

That's really interesting, thanks for explaining.

I can imagine they aren't that appreciated anymore either (imagine getting injured in a testimonial match) but like the idea of them.
Testimonials were held to give a player a pay off, they kept the gate receipts.

For fairly obvious reasons they fell out of favour.

Go On then....
Bugger wrong one..that the rad sheff com...not sky....

Thats the one

Testimonials were held to give a player a pay off, they kept the gate receipts.

For fairly obvious reasons they fell out of favour.
Not sure what you mean? I thought top flight professional footballers still live hand to mouth?

Back
Top Bottom