The downside of discussing the team sheet early...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd be surprised if the level of analysis PL clubs factor into their preparations doesn't weight all possible formations, so our lineup will hold few surprises. Perhaps what is more valid is the level of detailed comment we all enjoy discussing on the forums as to the performance of individual players. Clubs who analyse such forum comments could gain uptodate consensus as to the current weaknesses on individuals. Equally so the opposite is possible, if they have bots searching key words and they pickup crap posts then that could play to our advantage...

I'm sure once Pep and Jurgen have become aware of our team selection after logging on here they will enjoy the friendly banter they encounter, particularly the 'twats ' thread.

But his point is that Southampton wouldn't actually be aware of our starting line up, they'd just be aware of a post on some online fans forum.
Possibly ITK. Possibly complete nutter. How would they know?
You’re assuming that whoever looked at a forum had only spent 5 minutes on it.

I honestly couldn't disagree more....

...everyone knows what our keeper and back 5 will be and at least 2 of our midfield.....and educated guess that Oli will start up front....so that's 3 positions they may be unsure about......do you really think it will make a difference to the way Chelsea set up if it's Fleck or Freeman in midfield or Robbo/Sharp with McB......?

It will barely register.
Probably not, I agree that this weekend it would probably be beneath our opponents dignity to give a shite what team Sheffield United turn out, all being equal they should be able to beat anything that we throw at them, the same goes for Liverpool. But will Southampton and Watford be so dismissive and aren’t they our main targets for gaining points this season?

Probably not, I agree that this weekend it would probably be beneath our opponents dignity to give a shite what team Sheffield United turn out, all being equal they should be able to beat anything that we throw at them, the same goes for Liverpool. But will Southampton and Watford be so dismissive and aren’t they our main targets for gaining points this season?

Probably not but our options are extremely limited....we play Fleck instead of Freeman = slightly more defensive, we play Sharp alongside McB, we Re looking for knock-downs and have very little pace.....McG, he will drop deep...Robbo, threat but with little direction, (on the games so far).

Let's see if I wrong but team as been confirmed today by someone very close to CW

Same team as last week with mcburnie replacing mcgoldrick let's see if I'm wrong....... To be honest first time I've found out two days in advanced so I'm guessing very few impressed Tuesday night
Correct

Just keep it on shoutbox.

That’s what I tend to do. I was told by LJBlade that I was stupid for thinking opposition staff would trawl our message boards looking for our team.

I’m still not sure that it’s that unfathomable

I think playing Moore upfront against Chelsea is a strange idea.

But in Wilder we trust..

That’s what I tend to do. I was told by LJBlade that I was stupid for thinking opposition staff would trawl our message boards looking for our team.

You've 'liked' a post on here (number 11) that said exactly the same thing I said.

As others have said, anyone can guess probably 10 of our starting 11 for Saturday, what is there to be gained (other than wasted time) for someone to be sat on here looking for team news? The person giving the team news could be a complete crackpot with no real information at all, they could also be guessing.

Would we be happy if Wilder selected a United team to play against Chelsea based on what someone has said on a Chelsea message board? Personally, I'd want him to be a little more professional.

The difference with the whole Leeds-Derby Spygate thing is that Bielsa would've seen more than just a starting 11, he'd have seen what sort of attacking and defensive tactics they were working on. If Derby trained like any other team they'd have worked on routines/set pieces etc with 'back-up' players in position as well so he may not have even learned the starting 11.

I agree that it's best to keep things like that on the ShoutBox, I was merely saying that you shouldn't worry too much for having done so, as you were getting some negative comments for it.

I guess it's just that even if it appears in one small-audience place, some people see it, pass it on, someone tweets it, lo and behold they turned out to be right, so people look at them the next week for the "right" team, etc... Speaking just for myself, I knew the Bournemouth team well in advance not because I'd seen you post it but because someone ELSE had seen what I now assume was your message, and told me about it.

FWIW I very much doubt it'll be the difference between victory and defeat against a team like Chelsea. But I do think it gives an advantage (however small) to the opposition to be able to focus their preparations on a certain team which may end up playing a certain way. And if a team knew they could get that information in advance, they'd absolutely want to. I'm sure Wilder would love to know if Kante is fit to start tomorrow, for example.

On the flipside, you're very likely not the only person who's finding out in advance and sharing that information (there's another one in this thread!), so...

You've 'liked' a post on here (number 11) that said exactly the same thing I said.

As others have said, anyone can guess probably 10 of our starting 11 for Saturday, what is there to be gained (other than wasted time) for someone to be sat on here looking for team news? The person giving the team news could be a complete crackpot with no real information at all, they could also be guessing.

Would we be happy if Wilder selected a United team to play against Chelsea based on what someone has said on a Chelsea message board? Personally, I'd want him to be a little more professional.

The difference with the whole Leeds-Derby Spygate thing is that Bielsa would've seen more than just a starting 11, he'd have seen what sort of attacking and defensive tactics they were working on. If Derby trained like any other team they'd have worked on routines/set pieces etc with 'back-up' players in position as well so he may not have even learned the starting 11.

I agree that it's best to keep things like that on the ShoutBox, I was merely saying that you shouldn't worry too much for having done so, as you were getting some negative comments for it.
Because I have come round to your way of thinking and don’t think it’s likely. Albeit like I said not unfathomable.

Last edited:

Yes I did and I went on Saturday as well. Your point?
My point is he was gaffered in the air on Tuesday night and isn't the ariel threat some on here think he is. Good goal Saturday granted but more about the quality delivery for me.

I don't feel anything is any different now as when wilder first came over three years ago, pretty good three seasons so if it ain't been a problem before why now?

So what some are saying is that even though a professional like Rosenior thinks that knowing the team in advance gives the opposition an advantage, it doesn’t apply to United because...
a/ The opposition are so much better than us that it doesn’t matter?
Or
b/ Because we normally only have a 2 or 3 player variation max and usually in the same positions, and so that info is pretty much inconsequential even to the lower level level teams?

So if that’s the case, do we think Wilder and Knill will be ok with the opposition having an easy means of finding out who’s starting against them or would they try and find out who’s leaking it and bounce them?

Again our team is very predictable so we won’t lose out really.

Bournemouth-
Usual back 6 (obvious)
Usual midfield minus Duffy and Lundstram in. (Obvious based on pre season)
Upfront is probably the hardest to guess out of all of them but it was only ever between 3 players. Mousset not fit and McBurnie only just In the door. Robinson did the best in pre season and McGoldrick was player of the year and offers more of a counter.

Palace-
Wilder as good as said before the game it would be the same team.(Obvious)

Leicester-
Same again, after the win he wasn’t going to change it other than the forced change. Wasn’t going to be anyone other than freeman (Obvious)

Chelsea - McBurnie has been the best forward and Wilder has all but said he will start.

The only non obvious line up was Blackburn, which funnily enough nobody announced before the game.

My point is he was gaffered in the air on Tuesday night and isn't the ariel threat some on here think he is. Good goal Saturday granted but more about the quality delivery for me.
I take your point, he was poor on Tuesday but whether he’s as good in the air as some think or not, he seems to be the only arial threat that we’ve got amongst out strikers. I know Billy sweeps for the odd head-in, but its hard to recall the last time one of our forwards actually out-jumped defenders in open play and headed in a ball from its peak elevation. Let’s hope it isn’t a one off.

All we need to do is have several other posters deploying red herring "ITK" team news to throw snooping twats off the scent.

How will they know who is genuine and who isn't amongst the throng of forum members that are adamant they're right?

FYI - tomorrow's team (won't reveal my source so don't ask):

3-6-1

Henderson

Jagielka ----- Egan ----- O'Connell

Norwood
---------------
Baldock-------------------- Lundstram----------------Stevens
Ravel
------------------
--------------- Freeman

McBurnie

You heard it here first Frank

U-T-B

So what some are saying is that even though a professional like Rosenior thinks that knowing the team in advance gives the opposition an advantage, it doesn’t apply to United because...
a/ The opposition are so much better than us that it doesn’t matter?
Or
b/ Because we normally only have a 2 or 3 player variation max and usually in the same positions, and so that info is pretty much inconsequential even to the lower level level teams?

So if that’s the case, do we think Wilder and Knill will be ok with the opposition having an easy means of finding out who’s starting against them or would they try and find out who’s leaking it and bounce them?

Of course it's an advantage to know the team, but there is a difference between seeing something like this:

1567163860921.png

....and reading a post on this forum, when it could be a post by Wilder himself or a complete nutcase who hasn't got a clue.

Even if Lampard saw a photo of Wilder holding a piece of paper titled "Team vs Chelsea", do you think he would believe it or see it as a bluff?

All we need to do is have several other posters deploying red herring "ITK" team news to throw snooping twats off the scent.

How will they know who is genuine and who isn't amongst the throng of forum members that are adamant they're right?

3-6-1

Henderson

Jagielka
----- Egan ----- O'Connell

Norwood
---------------
Ravel
------------------
--------------- Freeman

McBurnie

U-T-B
Beautiful disinformation.......or is it?

3-6-1

Henderson

Jagielka
----- Egan ----- O'Connell

Norwood
---------------
Ravel
------------------
--------------- Freeman

McBurnie

U-T-B

Yes, cos Jags had an absolute belter in midweek

I hope it's true because that is one sexy formation. Look at all those triangles. AK is a genius

It makes a lot of sense to me. We need Jags’ defending and Ravel’s ball retention in away games to superior sides. The rest picks itself.

Of course it's an advantage to know the team, but there is a difference between seeing something like this:

View attachment 60544

....and reading a post on this forum, when it could be a post by Wilder himself or a complete nutcase who hasn't got a clue.

Even if Lampard saw a photo of Wilder holding a piece of paper titled "Team vs Chelsea", do you think he would believe it or see it as a bluff?
Yep I get your point mate and it’s valid, fake news and all that, but it makes the assumption that any information is gleaned in a quick 10 minutes shufty. For all we know a club could have a member of staff who regularly visit the other clubs online media social or otherwise. It wouldn’t need to be anybody high ranking, maybe just a trainee. Know your enemy and all that.

Yep I get your point mate and it’s valid, fake news and all that, but it makes the assumption that any information is gleaned in a quick 10 minutes shufty. For all we know a club could have a member of staff who regularly visit the other clubs online media social or otherwise. It wouldn’t need to be anybody high ranking, maybe just a trainee. Know your enemy and all that.

But I obviously visit this website regularly and I wouldn't have a clue who would be reliable in providing a starting XI, the only one from the past was Sunjihi during the Pre-Wilder League One days. So if I haven't got a clue, how is some trainee who will spend a couple of hours in the weeks leading up to a match on here going to know who to trust and who to not?

Also you're not fracturing in that maybe Wilder wants the team to be leaked for certain matches prior to match day. Whether that be to make a last minute change or for a bit of mind games.

Basically, a manager of a Professional Football Club would be bat shit crazy to trust any early team news leaks, they're better off scouting a team and trusting their scouts. If Wilder named the team in his pre-match press conference I still wouldn't 100% believe it until I'd seen the confirmed team line up at 2pm on Saturday!

Back
Top Bottom