The big question

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bricktop

Reaction score
Last night i was out and about uptown and bumped in to an misguided old mate who supports the dark side, and after the obligatory ripping the piss out of each other, he asked me a question.

For a city of Sheffield side with its footballing history why are both teams in League 1?

Because we both have good teams and solid managements. Can plan for the future, and we know where we are going.

A bit like asking why a country the size of England with it's football history has won one world cup and got to two semis

Sadly, the two are not connected. Might just be me, but the mentality of the city seems to be that we just get by - and this seems to be reflected certainly at United, probably them lot. There's no real drive on or off the pitch to get the club off it's knees.

Fact is regardless of size of city, McCabe's bank balance, passion of the fans etc. etc., McCabe is in charge and his decision making is diabolical.

Sadly, the two are not connected. Might just be me, but the mentality of the city seems to be that we just get by - and this seems to be reflected certainly at United, probably them lot. There's no real drive on or off the pitch to get the club off it's knees.

Fact is regardless of size of city, McCabe's bank balance, passion of the fans etc. etc., McCabe is in charge and his decision making is diabolical.
i think the two things are connected ,the players are shit to put it simply

i think the two things are connected ,the players are shit to put it simply

Well, the size of Sheffield and it's footballing history and McCabe's decison are not connected. But yes, most players have been shit but who sanctioned the signing/forced us into having such players?

Well, the size of Sheffield and it's footballing history and McCabe's decison are not connected. But yes, most players have been shit but who sanctioned the signing/forced us into having such players?
gerard depardiuea ?

Because the size of the city has no bearing on the quality and success of its football teams

Purely and simply. With Sir Neil in charge we consistently punched above our weight, since then a procession of poor managers coupled with some awful signings meant we've punched well below. It probably hasn't bottomed out yet either ...

Who's Sir Neil?

I don't remember a knight of the realm managing our club, at least not one called Neil :confused::help::confused:

:croc:

heh.. can't do attitude.. if they spent as much effort doing as not doing they'd expend less energy

Purely and simply. With Sir Neil in charge we consistently punched above our weight, since then a procession of poor managers coupled with some awful signings meant we've punched well below. It probably hasn't bottomed out yet either ...

Until he got to the Premiership, where his limitations were painfully exposed. That was the year it all started to go wrong [ten points clear of trouble and lamentably failed to consolidate by bringing in some quality] and we've leapt from error to massive error ever since.

Is that the same Sir Neil that got us relegated and wasted loads in the transfer window and never played them?

A bit like asking why a country the size of England with it's football history has won one world cup and got to two semis

One Semi-final.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Is that the same Sir Neil that got us relegated and wasted loads in the transfer window and never played them?

That's like saying Brian Clough was shit because he got Forest relegated.

Until he got to the Premiership, where his limitations were painfully exposed. That was the year it all started to go wrong [ten points clear of trouble and lamentably failed to consolidate by bringing in some quality] and we've leapt from error to massive error ever since.

Once again I agree with Pinchy. Warnock is fine in the Championship where he can fill his boots with half decent forwards and get his wingers to constantly put cross after cross in towards them. He had one way of playing (send it wide, send it wide, send it wide, send it wide). He still does that now, with the exception being that Taarabt is so good he can occasionally give them something different.

He might, just might keep QPR up if they give him loads of money to spend. At the moment it doesnt look like that will happen and they could struggle (especially if Taarabt leaves). I always felt Warnock was tactically limited. His strengths were in getting a good attitude and work ethic out of his players. He tends to go so far on that and rides his luck along the way, until he meets someone much cleverer than him and gets found out.....

I give you Steve Coppell as just one example.

Neils let down and blacklegs was that they could fall out with players who disagreed with them, (Dean Windass would have got us up, upset rest of team when he went)
They should of been bigger than that, all managers go through it but most would'nt get rid on the eve of a final! But I hope he does well with QPR!

>His strengths were in getting a good attitude and work ethic out of his players
if he has anything about him he will have learned from his experience last time

Back
Top Bottom