The Battle of Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He deliberately flicked the ball away from goal, which was pretty special to be honest. He managed to get it into the only area he physically could where Pesch could not score and close to an Arsenal defender. Jags only had a chance at the rebound because of poor defending and tenacity from Pesch (not from Seaman luckily pushing it into the danger area).

This is true, but come on. It was a truly fantastic save. But you are right that Peschy should have buried it. A downward header, a more powerful header or anything further to the left would have left Seaman with no chance. In was a reaction header though and the point I am making is that 99% of the time it would have been enough (imo).

It was also, slightly above and behind Pesch when you look at it I personally think Pesch did extremly well to direct it towards goal. To then be denied by the save of the century was rubbing salt into the wound...

Does anyone think he clawed it back from over the line?

I always thought Pesch should have done much better with the header. He seemed to believe he just had to touch it for it to go in. If he'd put anything behind it, Seaman wouldn't have had a chance.

I think that's a little unfair on Peschisolido. It seemed to me that the ball was going behind him and he had to try and lean back against his momentum to get any kind of contact on the ball. I don't think it was possible for him to get any real power or direction.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Does anyone think he clawed it back from over the line?

No. Unfortunately for us it was just a very, very good save.

I think that's a little unfair on Peschisolido. It seemed to me that the ball was going behind him and he had to try and lean back against his momentum to get any kind of contact on the ball. I don't think it was possible for him to get any real power or direction.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

No. Unfortunately for us it was just a very, very good save.

I agree, the chance arises from Asaba miscuing a shot off the side of his left ankle. As Asaba shapes to shoot (a difficult shot for him as he had to try and execute a mid air volley), you can see Pesch moving towards the far post which is the anticipated direction of the shot. The fact that Asaba miscues changes this anticipated direction and sends the shot towards the midle of the 6 yard box and just behind Pesch. Pesch has a split second to react to this and does well in the circumstances.

On another point, a bloody good header from Page to set the whole chance off.

I agree, the chance arises from Asaba miscuing a shot off the side of his left ankle. As Asaba shapes to shoot (a difficult shot for him as he had to try and execute a mid air volley), you can see Pesch moving towards the far post which is the anticipated direction of the shot. The fact that Asaba miscues changes this anticipated direction and sends the shot towards the midle of the 6 yard box and just behind Pesch. Pesch has a split second to react to this and does well in the circumstances.

On another point, a bloody good header from Page to set the whole chance off.

So a bloody good header from Page to set things off and then Pesch did well and was unlucky, but Seamen's save was not that good. You're good at scorelines, dates and names/scorers etc but your opinion of the events is interesting

So a bloody good header from Page to set things off and then Pesch did well and was unlucky, but Seamen's save was not that good. You're good at scorelines, dates and names/scorers etc but your opinion of the events is interesting

Who said Seaman's save wasn't that good? It was a brilliant save. I am just not entirely convinced that in saving the shot he had in mind to flick it out of the danger area. I think he was just trying to keep it out of the net.

I was right behind the Seaman save. He defied physics.

Actually the 4 debutants were in the previous game v Crewe on 29/11/97 - Ford, Dellas, Woodhouse and Stuart.

Don't mess with me when it comes to trivia :)

3 Days and 20 miles out.

Just out of interest, do you have a photographic memory?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Not that good, it was all over the papers as save of the century the day after, and one of the best saves ever.

Worst decision in our favour that I saw was our first goal in the 2-0 win at home to Millwall in April 1971. For 80 minutes Millwall's defence and keeper Bryan King kept out all our chances and attacks. another attack was foiled and King (standing up) had the ball tucked tightly in his arms ready to take a drop kick but Trevor Hockey dived towards him and used his hands to knock the ball out of King's grasp and while both players were on the floor, Hockey slid the ball into the net. Some of the crowd were amused at the "horseplay" antics by Hockey but some thought it was needless, but to our shock, the ref allowed the goal to stand! There were confusion amongst the crowd as some cheered half heartedly and understandably the furious Millwall players were surrounding the ref!

How about the horrendous tackle on Whitehouse by Ainsworth in 1997? It was not a game changer, it was a season changer. If I remember rightly that career ending, leg breaking tackle did not even get a free kick, never mind the red card (and assualt charge it deserved). Of course I am partisan and maybe I am letting my emotions get in the way but I put that up there with Harold (Toni) Schumacher's challenge/assualt/brae-ing on Patrick Battiston*.

* The worst tackle in the history of the game (imo). Absolutely sickening. It was worth an 18 month prison sentance, possibly more. Robbed a very good France side (lead by the brilliant Platini) of their chance to go on and win the world cup.

Back
Top Bottom