Team for Sunday's game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That’s the whole point BB.

Not sure we are inadequate aerially. Poor run of form recently aside, I’d suggest we have been pretty assured in this area.

I genuinely don’t see the problem, other than that the loss of JOC has been impactful in lots of different ways. Including aerially.

HOWEVER.

It’s called football for a reason, Our single biggest issue has been breaking teams down with rapid transitions through the thirds.

Appreciate it’s the big boys league so it’s harder, but look back on some of the genuinely quality football we have played in getting from L1 to the PL.

In our better performances last season in the PL.

The stunning 30 or so minute spell against Man U last season when I genuinely believe (and said at the time) it doesn’t get any better than that.

Absolutely none of what I have described above had diddly squat to do with having aerial presence. Being aerially or physically dominant.

More than absolutely anything else, it was to do with intricate play patterns, and excellent off the ball movement combined with a rapid movement of the football. Playing with a high tempo. Pressing with a high tempo. Everything was just that bit quicker.

We have gone more route 1 and it has been to our significant detriment. Technical players like Fleck, Enda, Dids have gone somewhat off the boil and I put this down largely to the tactics employed.

While I don’t think it’s all McB fault in that regard, he is a reason nonetheless. Symptomatic so to say ! Yes I think he’s rubbish but that’s for another thread.

I yearn for a return to our more fluid and progressive play that has served us under Wilder so well. More than a tad confused why we are so, relatively speaking, direct.

It hasn’t worked for us.

It will not work for us.

So why go down that road ?

Seriously, why ?

I don’t think that you and I will ever see completely eye to eye on all things football as our philosophies are truly polarised.

A bit of route 1 is fine. Just fine.

But too much of it, which I believe I am seeing right now, is very low percentage football and in the PL, playing low percentage football and setting up your team for low percentage football is, bluntly, suicidal !!

UTB
good post cant for the life of me understand why mcburnie is in the team maybe like you say were now playing percentage football but like you say thats another topic but our play is ponderously slow and we go sideways and backwards far too much chris wilder teams are at their best playing a high tempo game with the ball on the deck it a mirror image of 75-76 when guthrie was brought in and furphy changed our style it didnt work then and its not gonna work 45 years later at least if we do go down we wont be seing this boring system in the championship

Ramsdale
Baldock Basham Egan Osborn
Lundstram Berge Fleck
Burke Brewster Mousset

4-3-3 all the way. I'm sick of watching lazy balls punted up field . Play to feet. There is serious pace in this lineup.
Berge CDM. Basham to stay back in defence. All our previously known goal scorers are in this lineup. Brewster is an out and out goalscorer, Burke and Mousset will tee him up. Draws are no good. It's all out attack. We will score with this lineup.
yes i would go 433 now nothing to lose and who knows if we ever score the first goal maybe some confidence will come back in to the players

Where has that definition of straw man come from?
A straw man to me is any diversion with an association to the truth ie Sharp is too old to get in the first team. Yes he's old but that does not preclude him from showing he is still the best all round striker at the club. Aaah but he is old.

Ok, fair enough that was one of at least 4 different definitions of a strawman I found on the net.

Wasn't going to bother as I simply can’t see it changing... but couldn’t help myself!!
Just a slight tweak from 5-3-2 to 5-2-3

Ramsdale
Baldock Bash Egan Bryan Osborn
Berge Ampadu
Mousse Brewster Burke

Note: Bryan is in there as I don’t think there’s anyone else.

Ramsdale
Baldock Basham Egan Osborn
Lundstram Berge Fleck
Burke Brewster Mousset

4-3-3 all the way. I'm sick of watching lazy balls punted up field . Play to feet. There is serious pace in this lineup.
Berge CDM. Basham to stay back in defence. All our previously known goal scorers are in this lineup. Brewster is an out and out goalscorer, Burke and Mousset will tee him up. Draws are no good. It's all out attack. We will score with this lineup.

Completely agree with 4-3-3 and Burke Brewster and Mousset. Genuine pace and quality.

I was told by a v good source that CW acknowledged that last season convinced him that we need taller, stronger athletes and subsequently told his scouting team to ensure that anyone signed had at least those attributes.

Where did it all go wrong?

Wasn't going to bother as I simply can’t see it changing... but couldn’t help myself!!
Just a slight tweak from 5-3-2 to 5-2-3

Ramsdale
Baldock Bash Egan Bryan Osborn
Berge Ampadu
Mousse Brewster Burke

Note: Bryan is in there as I don’t think there’s anyone else.
In that formation I would play Sharp up front flanked by Burke and Brewster.

Not writing off Lowe, but there is experience and temperament and Osborn has more at this stage. Would make us more solid on the left hand side and whoever this week's LCB is would be more secure in his positining. I think he could also help getting Fleck onto the ball in better positions as well.

... making plans and packing his boots away.

The way people are going on about him, it's like listening to folk eulogising Michael Doyle for his stellar contribution and footballing ruggedness in midfield.

We. Can. Do. Better. Than. Lundstram.

pommpey
Have a like for the Doyle abuse 👍

Nice appeal to authority.

Obsessed for not wanting us to be inadequate aerially, especially defending set pieces and crosses?

Wolves 1 counter attack 2 corner header

Aston V 1 corner flicked on, headed in at far post

Leeds 1 break, cross, header at far post

Arsenal 1 outpassed, cross, header at far post 2 Ball into space, Pepe running at defence

Fulham 1 trickery from Lookman

Liverpool 1 far post cross, free header from Mane saved, Firmino rebound. 2 far post header Jota

Man City 1 Long range shot from Walker

Chelsea 1 ball down our left, cross Abraham finish. 2 corner, cross far post finish. 3 Silva header from free kick. 4 Lowe challenge sends Werner through.

West Ham 1 Haller from outside box after WH running at us

WBA 1 Corner poorly cleared, Gallagher unmarked

It's not our only problem, but it could be even worse. Wilder is at least aware of the issue.

Regarding some suggested line ups - the main reason why they won't be tried is that they would leave us exposed defensively, at set pieces and in other aspects. It's understandable that people are frustrated with our goalscoring problems. But to have a chance we have to get the balance just right - not too defensive and not too attacking. Maybe that's a boring way out of the mess, but I'd take it.

You could look at this a different way Bergen and look to the fact that McBurnie has been on the pitch for most of the headed goals we’ve conceded and we’ve still conceded them. He’s also been profligate at the other end. Therefore he needs to have a day (or 10) off and see how we get on without him.

1 Norwood
3 Osborne, Fleck, Berge
6 Moose, Sharp, Burke, McBurnie, Brewster, McGoaldrick.

This would be epic. Norwood in a sweeper role belting balls to 6 strikers.

I would go 433

GB Egan Ampadu Osborn
Burke Berge Fleck
Brewster Sharp Moose

Yes , Burke can tackle.
And he & Berge are tall enough to defend corners.

Or if you prefer Bash in the team ,

GB Egan Ampadu Osborn
Bash Berge Fleck
Burke Brewster Moose

Whatever the setup , McB & Norwood should be nowhere near selection because they are bang out of form.

Bryan & Lowe are just not PL standard yet + should not be thrown in.

I hope CW has the balls to go 433 but I fear he will stick to 532. So it should be

GB Bash Egan Ampadu Osborn
Burke Berge Fleck
Brewster Moose

And play on the deck.

The only thing McB is any good for is defensive headers at set pieces and that does not justify his place. I don't even want him on the bench but I know that's unrealistic.
Lunny should not be in the 18 , in fact he should have been told in the summer he wouldn't play and to hurry up and find a club. The situation is an embarrassment and must affect team spirit. I want him gone in January + out of the squad. His continued presence is part of the "unrecognisable CW phenomenon".
Burke must start , he is the only quick ball carrier we have , he plays with gusto and creates problems for defences - without him there's no pace to create chances for quick strikers. He is the obvious replacement for Lunny in my book. We didn't get Cash or Swift but we got Burke. He's not a goalscorer so don't think of him as a striker - but he can beat defenders in the box + pass like he did on Saturday.
I know Sharp & Moose can't do 90 mins but let's try and score before they tire.

Please take the handbrake off CW and play on the front foot.

Right, I don't normally get involved in these type of discussions, but here goes:

Verrips
Basham, Egan, Bryan
Baldock, Burke
Rodwell, Berge, Fleck
McGoldrick
Brewster

Subs:
Ramsdale
Jags
Ampadu
Robinson
Osborne
Mousset
Gaxha or Hackford
Having seen today's line up I don't think my suggestion looks so daft now! 🤔

Back
Top Bottom