System Next Season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SelbyBlade

Reaction score
Betis has said we will be sticking to the system and that's why Slav was appointed amongst other considerations including personality, using youngsters etc..
Having watched Shoreham View yesterday (well worth a watch) the various comments but particularly Benjamin Bloom's, pointed to a lot teams coming to the lane wanting a draw. We have parachute payments and prem experienced players and therefore are the "big boys" in comparison to the rest of the league bar Bournemouth Fulham and West Brom.
So our system is useful to break down teams who defend deep as we have the overloaded wings stretching the game.
We currently have a squad capable of doing that having so many strikers (including Jeb) and excess of wingbacks as well as some options in midfield which includes Didzy in the 10 role.
We were having to loan strikers when we came up so to have so many and maybe even another one or two (depending on which rumour) so the issue needs to be service. It's going to be difficult with packed penalty areas to find the gaps, but hopefully by stretching the game we can create enough to win games.
With that in mind I would hope we keep our system use Didzy as a number 10, get cover for Bash and Egan, a couple of midfielders in playing the 3412 system.
With the South Barnsley team currently having to play a 1 1 1 system with goalie wag due to their squad of three retained players I don't feel we are in that bad a position and have reasons to be optimistic.

Definitely need a creative midfield player, like Duffy/Brooks role
Also massively improve on free kicks and corners delivery, these were generally awful last season

Agree…..regards set pieces the thing that always made me laugh last season was the lazy commentators and pundits saying
“Sheffield United have a big side and will be looking to score from corners and freekicks”
and the incredibly “Sheffield United are such a threat from set pieces and always dangerous”

I’m think when ever we have a corner or freekick we never look like scoring and our side is quite small compared to the opposition.
It shows that commentators and pundits lack knowledge and stick to the well used cliches.

Agree…..regards set pieces the thing that always made me laugh last season was the lazy commentators and pundits saying
“Sheffield United have a big side and will be looking to score from corners and freekicks”
and the incredibly “Sheffield United are such a threat from set pieces and always dangerous”

I’m think when ever we have a corner or freekick we never look like scoring and our side is quite small compared to the opposition.
It shows that commentators and pundits lack knowledge and stick to the well used cliches.
Its not just the well worn and expected cliches, i think a large part of it is trotting phrases out to fill the silence, and not create the potential for disagreement, most pundits are concerned with NOT creating waves, make sure they are invited back the week after for another few quid, exceptions to the rule, but again a few cause controversy as people expect them to be chippy/edgy

Definitely need a creative midfield player, like Duffy/Brooks role
Also massively improve on free kicks and corners delivery, these were generally awful last season
I cannot remember a season when the corners and free kicks were any good.

I cannot remember a season when the corners and free kicks were any good.
Can only remember one game. Oldham away first match in Division 1. Harry Maguire buried it from a corner: think it was from Quinny? Right in front of the Blades fans.

There's a difference between formation and system. Just because we're likely to be playing some variation of three at the back under SJ (3-5-2, 3-4-3, 3-4-1-2, etc) doesn't mean we will be relying on overlapping CBs and overloads on the wing to break down opposition defences.

No matter what formation or system it is,if there is not enough quality ball coming in from wide,or through the middle,like was the case last season,will struggle to make top 6.

The majority of clubs in this country have never had a ball striker of Alan Woodward’s quality in their entire history .

Absolutely - I've mentioned it on here before, he had a unique way of cutting his foot across the ball, making it go in a straight line when taking corners from the right hand side.

Woody was an exceptional footballer.

UTB

As for the system next year.

I'll be more than happy to retain 3 at the back - BUT we must return to a no: 10 !!!

Duffy was magnificent at finding space all over the pitch and in between the lines.

Where is the NEW Duffy? It sounds expensive too.

UTB

There's a lot to be said for a more direct approach. wDS1d2.gif

As said, countless times previously, we HAVE to break out of Wilderball.

3-5-2 is no good these days. Unless O'Connell comes back firing on all cylinders (which he won't, as much as people are getting all bone hard about hi training like a madman he is a year out of 'gameplaying' football and that requires a lot of redeveloping) and we have a way round the 'wide-four-man-block' that teams know will kill our only route to goal, we are no use to anyone playing it. 3-5-2 is set up especially for that. The O'Connell/Stevens/Fleck axis on one side and Basham/Baldock/Cuntstram on the other was all well and good but during season two up in the PL it was stamped flat. Not only did we not have a decent advancing CB on the left, all teams had to do was block the advance (with four players, sacrificing a CM as they knew Norwood would sit deep and not provide options. Again, the plan is to stop the advance, force it back to Norwood and intercept/dispossess once he is near the ball.

We need to change it. If we play Fleck and Norwood, they need to be part of a central pairing inside Bogle and Osborn, with the back comprising Baldock - Basham - Egan - Stevens (if Jack gets sold) We either play Didsy in front of the midfield feeding a lone striker and linking with the wingers in a 4-2-3-1 variant or as part of the midfield with either 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1.

pommpey

3-5-2 is no good these days. Unless O'Connell comes back firing on all cylinders (which he won't, as much as people are getting all bone hard about hi training like a madman he is a year out of 'gameplaying' football and that requires a lot of redeveloping) and we have a way round the 'wide-four-man-block' that teams know will kill our only route to goal, we are no use to anyone playing it. 3-5-2 is set up especially for that. The O'Connell/Stevens/Fleck axis on one side and Basham/Baldock/Cuntstram on the other was all well and good but during season two up in the PL it was stamped flat. Not only did we not have a decent advancing CB on the left, all teams had to do was block the advance (with four players, sacrificing a CM as they knew Norwood would sit deep and not provide options. Again, the plan is to stop the advance, force it back to Norwood and intercept/dispossess once he is near the ball.

We need to change it. If we play Fleck and Norwood, they need to be part of a central pairing inside Bogle and Osborn, with the back comprising Baldock - Basham - Egan - Stevens (if Jack gets sold) We either play Didsy in front of the midfield feeding a lone striker and linking with the wingers in a 4-2-3-1 variant or as part of the midfield with either 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1.

pommpey

I really don't think our squad is well adapted to playing with wingers, or with only 1 striker. Who would you play on the wings? Bogle in a 4-4-1-1 could do a job, but I don't think it's his natural position. Osborn on the left? Maybe, but I don't see him running at players down the line and beating them often, I prefer his energy in the middle. Burke I suppose is more of a winger than a striker, but do we want to be reliant on him as a starter?

Then there's the question of forwards, a position where we're stacked numbers-wise, but I don't really think we have anyone who would thrive as a sole striker. Brewster and McBurnie, despite having terrible prem seasons, have both delivered in the Championship in the past, and could complement each other's skillsets nicely - but I wouldn't fancy either of them to fare well on their own. Neither would I want to put the pressure of being a lone striker on shoulders as inexperienced as Jebbison's. McGoldrick could thrive behind a sole striker in a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1, sure, but he also thrives as the deeper-lying of a 2 up top, and I wouldn't mind seeing a return to the 3-4-1-2 with him in the hole, either (though I'd like to see a new signing to compete with him in such a position, too).

We should (hopefully) have JOC back for the start of the season, so that solves the "no competent LCB" issue. Basham is still one of our most consistent and reliable performers, and RCB is unquestionably his most effective position. I don't disagree that our tactics will need some freshening up, but I don't see why one bad season - a weird season with no fans to drive the team on in those tough early games where our confidence ebbed away drop by drop, and with a bad injury to one of our most irreplaceable players - means the entire formation has to be deemed dead in the water, when our squad, in my view, isn't well-suited to a drastically different system. I'd like to see some new blood in midfield, both because we're light on numbers (especially if Berge joins Lundstram on the way out) and because Fleck and Norwood were poor last year, but I'm not unhappy with our options in most other positions.

It's a conundrum because we scored so few goals in 20/22. I would want to see a much more creative, effective midfield who we could also rely on for a few goals before I would settle for a lone striker.

Always love to see wingers because that has always been my own position! It's a bit old school but I prefer 4 4 2 with wingers who can rip it up. Appreciate we aren't set up for this though.

pommpey
giphy[1].gif

Seems like we’ll go down the 3-5-2, 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2 route.

I think we’ll need 3 new midfielders…
two box to box physical, athletic types who can defend but who can break forward and create/score. (I don’t think either Norwood or Fleck are good enough tbh)
And a new number 10. (Sorry but I can’t see Didsy in the no10 role. He doesn’t have the range of passing or the ability to retain and recycle possession quickly imho)

Cheers for that, Silent.

You and Sitters going through some 'herd menopause' thing or summat?

How's about 'contributing to the debate', or do you want me to gif every post you do with summat like that? You'll soon see how pointless it is, like.

pommpey
You think Jokanovic will continue to play the same way as Wilder did? Of course he wont. He will have different ideas , players etc whatever the formation is (3-5-2 or not)

You think Jokanovic will continue to play the same way as Wilder did? Of course he wont. He will have different ideas , players etc whatever the formation is (3-5-2 or not)

Other people seem to think so. Everyone is fixated on 'three at the back' and advancing up the wings, like last season never happened.

Next they'll be on about 'Norwood's ping'

pommpey

3-4-1-2. It worked last time and we've got a stronger squad now. Get Luke Freeman fit and play him in the Duffy role. With SJ's high press/possession game and a couple of decent additions, it could be Wilderball on steroids.

Back
Top Bottom