Supporter incident - Tottenham Hotspur Stadium = Sep 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DaveC

Reaction score
Good morning Blades supporters.
First of all, commiserations on how the season has panned out. Hopefully the club will be able to regroup and gain promotion back to the Premier League next season.

Thank you to Martin and/or the mods on here for allowing me to seek help from you guys.

I've been made aware that when you played at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September there was an incident in the away end involving the large rainbow Pride flag. From what I can gather from the limited online references, a Blade experienced a fall in this area of the ground. There's little detail available though.

On Tuesday evening (14th May) my son was in that area of the ground and suffered a similar mishap. We've no idea as to the exact cause yet, but he is currently still in the Royal London Hospital Neurosurgery Department with serious head injuries. He drifts in and out of consciousness and we're unable to ascertain from him what went on.

I've been to enough away games over 50-odd years to know that things can get out of hand, but if there is an unresolved issue with the Spurs stadium which should have been addressed then it's important to know about previous incidents.

If you know the supporter from your September match, or the circumstances surrounding his accident I'd be really grateful if you would contact me. It goes without saying that I hope your boy's condition was not as serious as my son's currently is.

Manchester City have been very helpful so far, but Tottenham haven't seen fit to even acknowledge our attempts at contact.

I'm hoping there is some form of PM facility on this forum for anyone who can help to contact me. I asked for help from a Spurs site and made the mistake of including my email address. That was a massive mistake and didn't help at all.

Once again, thank you to Martin and I hope anyone with any knowledge of the September incident can help.

Good luck today.

First of all, commiserations on how the season has panned out. Hopefully the club will be able to regroup and gain promotion back to the Premier League next season.

Thank you to Martin and/or the mods on here for allowing me to seek help from you guys.

I've been made aware that when you played at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in September there was an incident in the away end involving the large rainbow Pride flag. From what I can gather from the limited online references, a Blade experienced a fall in this area of the ground. There's little detail available though.

On Tuesday evening (14th May) my son was in that area of the ground and suffered a similar mishap. We've no idea as to the exact cause yet, but he is currently still in the Royal London Hospital Neurosurgery Department with serious head injuries. He drifts in and out of consciousness and we're unable to ascertain from him what went on.

I've been to enough away games over 50-odd years to know that things can get out of hand, but if there is an unresolved issue with the Spurs stadium which should have been addressed then it's important to know about previous incidents.

If you know the supporter from your September match, or the circumstances surrounding his accident I'd be really grateful if you would contact me. It goes without saying that I hope your boy's condition was not as serious as my son's currently is.

Manchester City have been very helpful so far, but Tottenham haven't seen fit to even acknowledge our attempts at contact.

I'm hoping there is some form of PM facility on this forum for anyone who can help to contact me. I asked for help from a Spurs site and made the mistake of including my email address. That was a massive mistake and didn't help at all.

Once again, thank you to Martin and I hope anyone with any knowledge of the September incident can help.

Good luck today.
I wasn’t there for United match at Spurs so can’t help I’m afraid but I hope your son makes a full recovery.

I was at the match in September but I don't remember anything about a rainbow pride flag. I'm pretty certain I would have. Sorry I can't help. Hope your son recovers well

Good luck today.
Sorry to hear about your son. Hope he makes a quick and full recovery.

I saw the video and from what I remember there was a couple of people that fell into it but 1 scrambled to safely

I was at the match in September but I don't remember anything about a rainbow pride flag. I'm pretty certain I would have. Sorry I can't help. Hope your son recovers well
After we scored, a bloke fell from the away and bounced onto a flag that was covering part of the exit. You can see it on the highlights.

Good luck today.
Sorry I can't help but it's utterly disgraceful that Spurs aren't assisting you. I hope you get the answers you're looking for. If you watch the highlights from our game you can see the fan falling onto the flag.

Good luck today.
It's as we celebrated the goal, he seems to go over the wall and onto the flag.
1716198088939.png

The barrier doesn't go all the way across. :oops: . That's very bad!!

1716198653580.png

Thank you so much for this MB and chipbutty. The photo of City supporters is probably at the end of the game following the incident with my son.
Would you mind telling me where you sourced the photo from? Apparently City have CCTV of the actual incident and have secured it but we can't bring ourselves to view it at the moment.
The height of the barrier and as you say the gap at the bottom of the steps is ridiculously dangerous, regardless of the behaviour of supporters in that block.
It appears that Spurs didn't learn from the incident involving your supporter, and who knows how many others who may have had a lucky escape? Complete negligence.
Hope your guy wasn't badly hurt, does anyone know?
Regards,
Dave

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this MB and chipbutty. The photo of City supporters is probably at the end of the game following the incident with my son.
Would you mind telling me where you sourced the photo from? Apparently City have CCTV of the actual incident and have secured it but we can't bring ourselves to view it at the moment.
The height of the barrier and as you say the gap at the bottom of the steps is ridiculously dangerous, regardless of the behaviour of supporters in that block.
It appears that Spurs didn't learn from the incident involving your supporter, and who knows how many others who may have had a lucky escape? Complete negligence.
Hope your guy wasn't badly hurt, does anyone know?
Regards,
Dave
Looks like I was mistaken about the gap in the barrier, there is a glass panel there that seems to be quite tall. However the metal railing next to the glass is much shorter, as you can see from people stood next to it seems to be below hip height which would make it pretty ineffective at stopping someone falling over. If anything I would think bellow hip height barrier could add to the danger by flipping the person over. I hope your son is recovering well and hope that spurs pull their finger out and get this sorted as it is obviously a reoccurring issue.

Thanks again all for the thoughts and support with this.
Our son has now been moved back to Manchester and seems to be slowly improving.
Does anyone know the source of the photos please?
Some are screenshots from the sky highlights of the game, the one showing the railing that matt posted is used in news articles from August 2021, talk sport and JOE used it and it seems to be from getty images. If you right click an image you can do a reverse image search on google to find the source, I think on a phone if you hold on the picture it should give you the same options.

Have you seen this one it shows how the Blade fell. Apparently its MOTD footage. Almost like he cant see the glass panel and falls over it ??

Screenshot 2024-05-23 215043.jpg

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear that your son has been badly injured. I hope he will make a full recovery and be home soon.

Let's also hope the footage, and apparent two incidents will prevented this from happening again, and ensure nobody else is badly injured.

I will mention this to my Spurs season ticket holding mate.

HH

Sorry to hear of your son's injury and wish him a speedy recovery nobody should go to football and end up in hospital but for it to happen in a new stadium is even more disturbing.

Was it Ipswich and I think Chelsea where various people have fallen this season? I know people get carried away with goals but you think stadium designs would have to factor this in

Hi Blades,
I've just re-read the thread and I'm really moved by the help and best wishes from proper football fans.
Thought I'd let you know that our lad's back home now and his girlfriend's looking after him.
It's going to be a long recovery period though.
I told him how helpful you guys have been and he's asked me to thank you all.
And of course that goes from me too, in spades!

Hi Blades,
I've just re-read the thread and I'm really moved by the help and best wishes from proper football fans.
Thought I'd let you know that our lad's back home now and his girlfriend's looking after him.
Best wishes to him - hope he makes as speedier recovery as possible

Hi Blades,
Good news that your lad is home and hope his road to a full recovery is as smooth & quick as possible.
Also hope that Spurs & the authorities look into this properly so you can get some answers if nothing else.
All the best 👍🏻

Hi Blades,
Great news and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Hi Blades,
All the best mate GLTL from all us blades

Back
Top Bottom