Summer football in the future?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
Rugby League has made the successful transition from playing through the winter to playing in the warmth of summer, so could it be the future of Footie?
I reckon it would be good to have no more match days freezing our nuts off. World cups and euros could be played during the winter in warmer climates, ie Spain. So starting the season
in march then ending in December would see hardly any postponements and fixture congestion almost eliminated.
A yes from me.

A flask of Bovril and a peter's pie from Bramall Lane SPAR just wouldn't feel the same.

Rugby League has made the successful transition from playing through the winter to playing in the warmth of summer, so could it be the future of Footie?
I reckon it would be good to have no more match days freezing our nuts off. World cups and euros could be played during the winter in warmer climates, ie Spain. So starting the season
in march then ending in December would see hardly any postponements and fixture congestion almost eliminated.
A yes from me.

Half the grounds would be empty (when we're allowed back in again) in June, July and August because everyone would be off on holiday while the kids aren't at school.

Also if it means drinks breaks becoming a permanent feature, it can coco.

A yes from me.

It’s possible that there could be bad weather in March which could mean the very first game of the season gets postponed.

What if countries without a warm climate want to host a World Cup or Euros? Doesn’t sound all that feasible to me and I’m not sure the current set up is that much of an issue anyway.

The Uk like other countries are becoming warmer and wetter for whatever reason you wish to believe.
It's not very often the matches are postponed nowadays due to the bad winters as they tend to be milder.
Its about time the 6 weeks holidays was scrapped and an alternative system put in place. The price hikes for holidays is a blatant piss take. UTB

Winter is bleak enough without taking away football, how about moving the women’s game to the summer?

Not for me, you can see why they do it in the Scandinavian and Russian leagues because it's proper freeze your nuts off stuff in the winter but here in comparison it's nowhere near as bad.

What else would there be to watch in the winter besides darts and the odd boxing match?

Not for me. I enjoy the summer break from football every other year.

Also the intensity of the game suffers in hotter climates. There's a reason the Prem is so popular worldwide and TV money dictates.

Nope. Love a few stout in a warm pub shoulder to shoulder wi lads, while wind and rain lashes outside followed by mad dash to kop. Lane under floodlights warmed wi a hip flask full of single malt (maybe some elderflower to line flask if I fancy a cocktail). Nar not happening!!!

A yes from me.
Tha nesh!

I'd like the season to go from January till September if I'm honest, keeping the season in one calendar year.

Can't see it happening but the next few seasons are going to be unprecedented. This season obviously finishes at the end of July. 2020-21 is looking like a mid September start which will make it interesting when it finishes, with the Euros being played at the end of that season. Isn't it the following season in 2021-22 that will get disrupted by a winter World Cup in Qatar?

If winter world cups were to become the norm that would rule out most of Europe, Asia and North America as hosts. You couldn’t even really hold it in England with our “temperate” climate as a weeks worth of snow and ice would ruin something 10 years or so in the planning.

Plus who wants to be showered in hot bovril in the fan parks?

Summer league football would also mean that non-league games are played on dustbowls.

That’s not to mention the amount of tedious games playing in 25-30 degree heat would throw up.

There is also the matter of having to spend Boxing Day with family.

It’s def no from me .. I might be a traditionist but I enjoy played over the different seasons that Aug -May brings , with the late start coming in Sept for next season and a Euros & WC now back to back it’s gonna be a couple of seasons before you get any sort of normality now anyway

Its a No from me.
The thought of losing a packed Bramall Lane Rocking on a cold winter night under floodlights lights is not worth thinking about.
Just think you would not see that magnificent sight of Bramall Lane all lit up as you came down Norfolk Park ever again.

Last edited:
Not going to have my Boxing Day ruined by them that are too soft to put a coat on and go outside.

And , of course, cricket would have to move to the winter to have any chance of getting a crowd. Think that'd work?

No from me also. I think we have changed too much already. As for drinks breaks they should go unless we can all have one ! Can you imagine some fella passing 10 cans down a row of people like that do for rugby games. Carnage.

Back
Top Bottom