SUFC original shares.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ceasefire

Reaction score
A family relative bought a significant shareholding in the club in the late 70’s which gave him 2 season tickets for life. As he is elderly and no longer regularly goes, does anyone know where I can get a realistic valuation of his shareholding and if he sells, are the 2 x season tickets valid for the new purchaser ?
Any constructive information would be most helpful - thanks

I thought McCabe had diluted shareholdings so much that pretty much everybody that wasn't him or The Prince didn't really own anything. I don't think anybody here can really help you're going to need an expert.

The original shares initially granted a season ticket in perpetuity and indeed the ticket could be transferred to any new holder of the original share. A decision to rescind the perpetuities benefit was taken some years ago and I belief that the free season ticket benefit is due to expire next season.

Due to the portly Mancunian gentleman who once polluted our boardroom, your relative may have three more years or one more year during which time his one season ticket will be complimentary

If he still retains his original Sheffield United Cricket and Football Club silver disc, that was issued with the original share certificate, then that might eventually become valuable

My disc is my most prized possession

Last edited:
Due to the portly Mancunian gentleman who once polluted our boardroom, your relative may have three more years or one more year during which time his one season ticket will be complimentary

If he still retains his original Sheffield United Cricket and Football Club silver disc, that was issued with the original share certificate, then that might eventually become valuable

My disc is my most prized possession
I did not know that........
ED8BD891-D0C4-48B1-9CB4-46D97D48E0DF.jpeg

Like this?

The original shares initially granted a season ticket in perpetuity and indeed the ticket could be transferred to any new holder of the original share. A decision to rescind the perpetuities benefit was taken some years ago and I belief that the free season ticket benefit is due to expire next season.
Yes ! Silver disc owners can blame McDonald for this.The decision was taken and caused a rumpus with disc owners,it was settled when they agreed to a time limit on the discs which is close to running out.
The discs as Woodwaaard said will become valuable items on there own in the future.

My dad owns one of the original shares and has enjoyed the free season ticket benefit for many years now.

I too understand this is planned to be rescinded in the next few years although I have recently heard the club are now considering options given how few original shareholders remain. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

In response to the OP's question - I think the actual value of the shares is most probably minimal although you should explore the possibility of transferring them, simply for the associated benefit.

Last edited:
I initially thought 'original shares' were what the OP was referring to (remember The Star doing an article on them about 40 years ago) but he is referring to shares purchased in the 1970s, so don't think this is the case. A number of times the club incurred debt McCabe covered it by issuing more shares (to himself) so I suspect that 1970s shares are probably only a tenth the size (of the club) they were when purchased. Apparently there are currently 452 million ordinary shares and 8 million preferred shares (these being worth 10 times as much) in SUFC now and there are 1.5 million shares being currently offered for sale, if these numbers put into perspective the holding Ceasefire has. Having said all that I only know this by Googling so perhaps somebody like Sean Thornton would have greater and more accurate input on this.

I initially thought 'original shares' were what the OP was referring to (remember The Star doing an article on them about 40 years ago) but he is referring to shares purchased in the 1970s, so don't think this is the case. A number of times the club incurred debt McCabe covered it by issuing more shares (to himself) so I suspect that 1970s shares are probably only a tenth the size (of the club) they were when purchased. Apparently there are currently 452 million ordinary shares and 8 million preferred shares (these being worth 10 times as much) in SUFC now and there are 1.5 million shares being currently offered for sale, if these numbers put into perspective the holding Ceasefire has. Having said all that I only know this by Googling so perhaps somebody like Sean Thornton would have greater and more accurate input on this.

It’s easy to mix up Sheffield United Limited and Sheffield United Football Club Limited. It happens all the time.

The original 477 shares ( Sheffield United Football Club Limited) are now deferred shares, due to be redeemed 30/06/2022 at issue value. They have no voting rights, no dividends, no right to attend an AGM. The benefit is a season tickets each year with preferential terms on the purchase of more.

D118069A-6739-4B96-B501-A8D188456969.png

It’s easy to mix up Sheffield United Limited and Sheffield United Football Club Limited. It happens all the time.

The original 477 shares ( Sheffield United Football Club Limited) are now deferred shares, due to be redeemed 30/06/2022 at issue value. They have no voting rights, no dividends, no right to attend an AGM. The benefit is a season tickets each year with preferential terms on the purchase of more.

View attachment 57924
But can they be sold? If so wot they worth Sean? My wife bought mine for £273 and I sold it for £1,800 7 years later when McDonald was about to take the season ticket concession away.
Now I’ve only got 2 lots of Micky Mouse McCabe shares and you’ve already told me they’re worthless.

But can they be sold? If so wot they worth Sean? My wife bought mine for £273 and I sold it for £1,800 7 years later when McDonald was about to take the season ticket concession away.
Now I’ve only got 2 lots of Micky Mouse McCabe shares and you’ve already told me they’re worthless.

No idea of value because of the 2022 redemption date. bertieblade ( I think) said the club were looking at the situation.

Anyone have any idea about the deferred shares due for redemption on 30 June this year?

I wonder how many free season ticket uses are still going ? They will be getting on a bit now , wish I had invested in that now could have saves thousands over the years !

They can be exchanged at the ticket office for 5,000,000 loyalty points, but only if the holder retains the original paper certificate of purchase.

They can be exchanged at the ticket office for 5,000,000 loyalty points, but only if the holder retains the original paper certificate of purchase.

Deferred loyalty points. Only for Champions League and FA Cup finals and Dennis Waterman All Star XI games.

I own an original share, which passed to me when my dear old Dad popped his clogs. He bought it in the 1970's, and I have benefitted from a free season ticket for about 20 years. Unfortunately I believe this is my last year on a freebie, and I'm probably going to have to dip my hand in my pocket for season 20/21 and thereafter. Very grateful to my late father for the very wise purchase he made in the 1970's though. Back then it was advertised via an estate agent, who sold 'estates' as well as houses.

My grandad bought me mine when I was 7, before the days of a season ticket you had to show your silver disc at the turnstiles to gain entry for yourself and 2 others. I’ve had 45 years of free entry so was always be grateful for my grandad buying it me. Thought it had run out last season but when I asked was told there’s another 3 seasons left. But was told in the ticket office that it has been mentioned that the club are looking at ways of keeping the benefit going. Once again thanks Fred, you have saved me a fortune

I too have had one passed down to me. I thought the reason for doing away with the free ticket is because most of the original holders had since passed and those benefitting from them, such as myself, had not helped saved the club.

I say saved the club and I’m not sure where I have heard this, possibly my dad or colleague, but weren’t they quite a substantial amount and sold in order to save the club from financial ruin ? Or is that all made up !

I too have had one passed down to me. I thought the reason for doing away with the free ticket is because most of the original holders had since passed and those benefitting from them, such as myself, had not helped saved the club.

I say saved the club and I’m not sure where I have heard this, possibly my dad or colleague, but weren’t they quite a substantial amount and sold in order to save the club from financial ruin ? Or is that all made up !
The one I got was in the year we went down to Div 4.
I think it cost £500 and we got 10 years of free season ticket.
Not sure if worth owt now though!

I did not know that........
View attachment 57898

Like this?

Thanks for putting this picture up Blade56. Very interesting to say the least. My late father had 4 shoe boxes full of old SUFC matchday programmes dating back to around 1925 ish (IIRC) they were of the paper kind and some only had 3 pages from front to back. My point ATM is I'm almost certain there was at least a few of these silver discs at the bottom of those boxes under the old programmes. I wonder if they was the same and how come he had obtained more than one ? The only thing that makes me think they are not the same as your picture is that my father always paid for his season ticket. Apologies for the rambling. UTB

The one I got was in the year we went down to Div 4.
I think it cost £500 and we got 10 years of free season ticket.
Not sure if worth owt now though!
That’s the figure I heard ! So it seems it maybe wasn’t a made up story !

I heard £500 a share and 1,000 were sold so a fairly healthy amount in the 1970s I understand

Thanks for putting this picture up Blade56. Very interesting to say the least. My late father had 4 shoe boxes full of old SUFC matchday programmes dating back to around 1925 ish (IIRC) they were of the paper kind and some only had 3 pages from front to back. My point ATM is I'm almost certain there was at least a few of these silver discs at the bottom of those boxes under the old programmes. I wonder if they was the same and how come he had obtained more than one ? The only thing that makes me think they are not the same as your picture is that my father always paid for his season ticket. Apologies for the rambling. UTB
Wouldn't it be annoying to discover you were eligible for free tickets having paid for them for years..... 😬

Wouldn't it be annoying to discover you were eligible for free tickets having paid for them for years..... 😬

Not for myself no as they wasnt in my possession and never have been. I was only allowed as a child many moons ago to look at these programmes as and when the time or should I say the mood (my Father's) allowed.

Ive just sent off for a quote to get mine re silver plated

We have a silver plater 100 Metres from the Lane.

If you tell Pete that you you 'know' me ( I work at the Portland Works) he will charge you extra. ;)

PM. me if reqd.

Back
Top Bottom