Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U23 v Everton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ball_Sup (Phil)

Reaction score
I'm posting this early because the Carrier Bag Firm have been on the Football & Ale all day, and we know Blades are missing their football fix. If you can juggle things, the U23s are at home on Thursday 6 Jan at 7pm v Category 1 Everton. Home in this context means Chesterfield FC. League games are free for Season Ticket Holders. As this is the Premier League Cup, maybe they'll have to charge. But that'll only be £3.
This is the Cup format for the U23s. Cat 1, Cat 2 (us) and Cat 3 Academies can enter. The first stage is a will it never fucking end four team group format. Before we get to the real deal knock out stage.
As I write, we're third in the group. P3 won drawn lost one of each. Everton are above us & we'll leapfrog them if we win.

Screenshot_20220103-194237_Chrome.jpg

We beat them at their place. Here's the Blog from that.

If you want to know the day to day business of the Academy, go to

www.twitter.com/sufcdevelopment

I’m going tomorrow with a Toffees fan that I work with. He thinks Rafa will be using quite a few U23s for their FA cup game on Saturday v Hull. So it’s likely they will feature a few younger players.
Do you know if any COVID regulations apply when attending these games, Phil? Just so that we are prepared. Cheers.

I’m going tomorrow with a Toffees fan that I work with. He thinks Rafa will be using quite a few U23s for their FA cup game on Saturday v Hull. So it’s likely they will feature a few younger players.
Do you know if any COVID regulations apply when attending these games, Phil? Just so that we are prepared. Cheers.
I don't know. Sorry. I'd be hopeful the Club will put some information out tomorrow. If so, I'll post on here.

I'm posting this early because the Carrier Bag Firm have been on the Football & Ale all day, and we know Blades are missing their football fix. If you can juggle things, the U23s are at home on Thursday 6 Jan at 7pm v Category 1 Everton. Home in this context means Chesterfield FC. League games are free for Season Ticket Holders. As this is the Premier League Cup, maybe they'll have to charge. But that'll only be £3.
This is the Cup format for the U23s. Cat 1, Cat 2 (us) and Cat 3 Academies can enter. The first stage is a will it never fucking end four team group format. Before we get to the real deal knock out stage.
As I write, we're third in the group. P3 won drawn lost one of each. Everton are above us & we'll leapfrog them if we win.

View attachment 127391

We beat them at their place. Here's the Blog from that.

If you want to know the day to day business of the Academy, go to

www.twitter.com/sufcdevelopment

Missed that blog post, first time around, like the look of the Parker Brewery stuff, don't think I have ever had any.

Live on the InterWeb thingy if you must.
But, you'll enjoy it much more proper live. Let's get at it...

Bus will be here soon, you're cutting it a bit fine for your haven't had one in a long time SUFC Football Fix...

Whilst not having the desire to travel to Chesterfield after a hard days work, I really enjoy watching these on YouTube. Some great little players in the squad and guaranteed 100% commitment

Looks like a decent Blades line-up, on paper.

Starbuck playing CB? What with Seriki being back in there

A very fast and athletic back five. Will be interesting to see the wingbacks; Seriki should be eager to get going again and the equally pacey Buyabu looked promising in his last match. Starbuck will be given a chance in Basham's role I assume, think that's the first time he's played there.

Midfield looks attacking and they'll need to work hard to cope defensively. Quite a bit of responsibility on young Stanisland to keep it together centrally. I was hoping Sydie Peck would play tonight.

Up front I'm hoping Osula will impress again, and hopefully there will be playing time given to the skilful Marsh from the bench.

1 -0 Blades.

Capello fires a powerful shot from out wide and the Everton keeper stops it, but spills it and Will Osula (I think), pounces on it and taps it in.

Bit disappointed with that first half performance, a number of our players can do better.

Individually I think we have good players with a lot to offer, but so far the passing and movement haven't been good enough.

Hows Buyabu doing? I've flicked on and off during the half but haven't heard him mentioned once.

Hows Buyabu doing? I've flicked on and off during the half but haven't heard him mentioned once.
Also looked like Seriki was a bit rusty. Missed a few tackles and getting pushed back by Evertons left hand side.

Reminds me of Burke in some ways--quick and strong but his touch has been awful. Hopefully he's just rusty.
Pretty much sure this is what PurpleRain said those at training sessions at Beerschot saw him.

Quick and strong but not up to the level technical ability wise.

Pretty much sure this is what PurpleRain said those at training sessions at Beerschot saw him.

Quick and strong but not up to the level technical ability wise.
It was also the impression I got of him from those televised preseason games before he went out on loan.

Staniland and Starbuck impressed me, although Marsh made a significant impression when he came on.
Brooks, Ayari and cappello have ability but it must be channeled to benefit the team.
Seriki has Lots of raw attributes but needs to improve his awareness and touch, but on that showing I can unfortunately see why he never got any game time in Belgium and cannot see how he got on the pitch for the first team last Season, he needs time in the lower leagues to regain his confidence

Bit disappointed with that first half performance, a number of our players can do better.

Individually I think we have good players with a lot to offer, but so far the passing and movement haven't been good enough.
I imagine the players will be disappointed with that tonight can do better,! with not playing at academy level 1 the players will take a lot from it hopefully.
As you say Bergen a lot of talent there just didn't happen tonight,what also impressed me was the pace throughout the team a vital ingredient in modern football.

Better second half. We have a number of players who needs space to make use of their good qualities. As a team we're not that good at creating that space and that's one for the coaches to put right. Everton (Unsworth managing them, wasn't it) seemed to know this, and they dropped deep to prevent us from finding space in the last third.

Our wing backs weren't at their best. Ayari had some moments as usual, but always drifts in and out of games. Not great from his set pieces tonight. Brooks is one who comes to life when games open up, and he improved a bit second half. Very difficult for Osula to impress, Everton's defenders were all over him when we tried to find him, and he used a lot of energy closing down defenders. Capello is one who copes well in tight spaces and he had a good game, even when he was moved out to the left. Stanisland were faultless, maybe apart from going missing (like the rest of the midfield) for their third goal. With it being his first start at U23 level he was probably eager to avoid mistakes, but he's got very good ball control and he needs to make constructive forward passing even from that deep position, not just pass it backwards to players who aren't as good on the ball as he is.

I was quite keen on the centre halves, but they didn't impress tonight. They weren't exactly pegged back, but when there were got things to deal with I think all three looked rusty, and at times sloppy. Belehouan is just back from injury of course, and it was an unusual role for Starbuck.

Hopefully the new U23 manager will be in place soon. I think there's a lot of good talent in that side, but there's a need for some guidance and certain tactical instructions.

Back
Top Bottom