Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U21 v Sheffield Wednesday (h)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

United were the stronger side but there were chances aplenty for both sides actually.

United played the better football and seemed more comfortable in possession.

Marsh was the stand out. A really good footballer whose ability to come out of tight spaces and take it on the half turn means he us a very progressive footballer. His goal was a superb strike.

One took his goal well but his play was mixed. Strong lad but a lot to learn in making runs and hold up play but has the physical attributes.

Hampson showed a few bits and Sasnaukas uses the ball well and is nice and composed.

Blacker also looks a decent footballer who can play a few positions.

Wednesday did have chances and Faxon made a couple of decent saves but the Blades were good value for the win.

Decent crowd, although full of screaming pre adolescents there threatening each other back and forth in a 'hold me back, hold me back' manner! Fair few Weds fans/kids who eventually went quiet as United eased to the win.

U21s should go onto win their respective league now.
Marsh has real potential ! talented ! He would have been the 1st kid of the bunch to get a start had it not been for a broken arm followed by another injury.
He's had a growth spurt so looks close to 6ft now ! Some player he is going to be, just needs a bit of time to get to full match fitness which will be next season now.He will be in and around the first team I would expect next season.
Bit lightweight at present! he will fill out a bit going forward.

Steady performance with the standout actually being the keeper who already looks more comfortable on the ball than either Wes or Non-Stick and made some excellent saves.
Already looks like he's got the potential to make it.
Marsh looks a good footballer but wonder if he's going to be too lightweight and lacking in pace to make it at a high level.
One didn't put himself about enough but took his goal very well.
Blacker did well as did Sasnauskas who looked very comfortable on the ball.
In truth United also looked a level above the other team despite having a number of players at the age level who've already moved on the first team.

Impressed with Easton who grew in to the match, nice link up with Marsh for the second goal. More involved than Hampson? Keeper Faxon and Marsh best two although really don't understand why Sachdev didn't get a regular game at Oldham nice and steady player and can tackle, which is a rarity nowadays.

Has annnnnybody seeen…..
Joe Crann, that bloke who looks like Toadfish, Tommy Craig, David Blunkett, David Blunkett’s Dog, Roy Hattersley, Jarvis Cocker, the majority of the arctic monkeys….your boys took one helluva beating 🤣

Went tonight and really enjoyed the game. Thought there were a good number of Blades players very comfortable with possession of the ball.
The highlight for me though was near the end when a few blades fans started to leave and the the pig fans started singing, “you’ve seen the Wednesday, now fuck off home”.
They are surely the only fans in the country that could sing that whilst trailing 2-0 with 5 minutes to go 🤣⚔️
Hope none of the tramps sat in my seat.

Steady performance with the standout actually being the keeper who already looks more comfortable on the ball than either Wes or Non-Stick and made some excellent saves.
Marsh looks a good footballer but wonder if he's going to be too lightweight and lacking in pace to make it at a high level.
In truth United also looked a level above the other team despite having a number of players at the age level who've already moved on the first team.
He is a late developer so will fill out a bit (Marshy)does lack a bit of pace ,all players aren't flyers.
He makes up for that with football intelligence! With great technical ability,looking forward to seeing him develop into a really good player.
Oh! and I'm not his grandad .😁👍

One is still 17 years old. Adetoro who was marking him is 23 and Ciaran Brennan is 24 next week.
2 of our Centre Backs are U18s as is Billy Blacker who was fun to watch - some great skill and intelligence.

I'm not sure Marsh is ready for the Championship yet, but he's been our most consistent player in recent matches. He has the selfishness and instinct to shoot that many of our senior strikers have lacked in recent seasons. As soon as Marsh receives the ball his first thought is where is the goal, and can I shoot. Peck has also been good recently, though his distribution needs working on. He's got a good engine and work ethic and puts in lots of tackles, but this often gets undone by giving the ball away straight after with a poor pass (ready for the first team then!).

Both could do with a short term loan in League One then potentially recall them in January if they do well.

Most of the rest don't look ready for League Two.

Again I noticed a difference in size and approach last night. Wednesday had some big, athletic lads who keep the ball and run with it as soon as they get it. We have short, skinny lads who's first thought is offloading the ball as soon as they get it. The modern game is about keeping the ball and running with it until someone closes you down, then pass it. We are very much stand still and wait for the ball to come to you. I worry that the size and stature of our players will mean that we don't produce many first teamers as they're not built for the modern game.

I'm not sure Marsh is ready for the Championship yet, but he's been our most consistent player in recent matches. He has the selfishness and instinct to shoot that many of our senior strikers have lacked in recent seasons. As soon as Marsh receives the ball his first thought is where is the goal, and can I shoot. Peck has also been good recently, though his distribution needs working on. He's got a good engine and work ethic and puts in lots of tackles, but this often gets undone by giving the ball away straight after with a poor pass (ready for the first team then!).

Both could do with a short term loan in League One then potentially recall them in January if they do well.

Again I noticed a difference in size and approach last night. Wednesday had some big, athletic lads who keep the ball and run with it as soon as they get it. We have short, skinny lads who's first thought is offloading the ball as soon as they get it. The modern game is about keeping the ball and running with it until someone closes you down, then pass it. We are very much stand still and wait for the ball to come to you. I worry that the size and stature of our players will mean that we don't produce many first teamers as they're not built for the modern game.

Not saying this is the case as I don't watch the young uns often enough, but it seems out lads are predominantly younger by a few years than a lot of the Wendies. Therefore I would imagine that ours still needs to fill out a little and turn into men which is were the extra muscle mass and size will be seen. If they already have the skill and game then hopefully them filling out will mean they become very good young footballers.

You have to factor in a lot of our young players are either involved with the first team or out on loan in the EFL so this isn't the cream of our crop but yeah vast majority won't make it. Those are the odds. It's hard.

One for a 17 year old does seem to have the frame that so many of our players have lacked!

How many decent players have come through the pigs academy? We had Arblaster and Brooks starting at Old Trafford and several more on the bench. I would think if a player reaches 23 without making a breakthrough, it is unlikely that they will make it.

How many decent players have come through the pigs academy? We had Arblaster and Brooks starting at Old Trafford and several more on the bench. I would think if a player reaches 23 without making a breakthrough, it is unlikely that they will make it.
George Hirst is trying to get out of the championship the correct way with Ipswich. He's 25 now but probably their last i can think of but he went to Leicester after hardly playing for pigs.

George Hirst is trying to get out of the championship the correct way with Ipswich. He's 25 now but probably their last i can think of but he went to Leicester after hardly playing for pigs.
I genuinely don't know much about their squad these days. I think Cadamateri is the only one I know.

Arblaster and Brooks, particularly Brooks have a long way to go until we can be singing their praises from the rafters. Arblaster has been good, but not great so far, even then his good parts mainly stand out because of the inadequacies and failures of his team mates. Surrounded by better players we'll see what he's made of. I haven't seen anything from Brooks yet to convince me that he's going to be a regular for the first team next season yet, other than through lack of depth in the team/squad. They've done well to get caught up but as much of that was through desperation as the rest of the squad have been utter garbage. That's not me putting down either player, but more trying to stay grounded and not get carried away.

Read some of the posts from pre-season to see how easily carried away some of our fans get. Osula failed to score in pre-season and yet many were saying he'd go on to play regularly this season and would bag 9-10 goals. Some were saying that Marsh and Neal should be in the team this season. It's laughable how ott some people can get over youth players.

"One of their own" George Hirst forced his way out of Wednesday and went to Leicester's sister club in Belgium (OH Leuven) to avoid any compensation being due. Lol.

🛍️ Carrier Bag Firm
⚔️ Sheffield United U21 2️⃣
🦉 Sheffield Wednesday 0️⃣
⚽ SUFC 2023/24 Game 6️⃣4️⃣
🏆 We go Top with four to play
🥅 Ten Goals, Ten Touches
⛓️ No weak links
📋 My Football & Beer Blog
📖 Read here 👇

Back
Top Bottom