Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U21 v Birmingham City (h)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In actual fact Mick Jones was well short of 6ft, about 5ft 10 if I remember. Not seen Billy Blacker, but he's been getting good reviews and sounds promising. Like quite a few of the young 'uns. Hopefully some of them will make the step up into United's first team.

Had that ability of seeming to hang in the air, but still get power in his headers. Helped though with crosses and corners from Woody.

Big boots to fill. Mick Jones was the real deal, strong as an ox, superb in the air, with a fair turn of pace as well.
He was a lovely bloke too. He had a sports shop in Maltby, where I worked for a while, and would happily chat to you for hours telling you all sorts of stories. I used to go in and buy things just so I could justify the time I was taking from him 😅, not that he ever complained or even seemed to mind. UTB

He was a lovely bloke too. He had a sports shop in Maltby, where I worked for a while, and would happily chat to you for hours telling you all sorts of stories. I used to go in and buy things just so I could justify the time I was taking from him 😅, not that he ever complained or even seemed to mind. UTB
He has lived somewhere near Dinnington as I have seen him knocking about. In the past.
Not recently though.
He took over from Doc Pace in the early sixties! Doc was a real toughy small guy against some big centre halves ,they knew they had been in a game when up against the Doc.
Jones will have learnt plenty on the few occasions they played together .

Known as the Squire of Shireoaks, near Worksop, where he was born. A great player, never met him but heard he was a gent. Doc Pace certainly put himself about, knew how to use his elbows, knees, feet, anything to rough up defenders. Plus a great goal scorer, my all time hero.

Back
Top Bottom