Strike Partnerships

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bath Blade

Reaction score
Radio Five are doing a programme tonight on strike partnerships, and the current dearth in them, which got me thinking about United's strike partnerships. The only established one I can really think of is Deane and Agana (although I only go back as far as the mid-80s). Have we had any good ones since? And why are there not as many these days (teams playing one up front possibly?)

Brian Deane and Jan Age Fjortoft

These two together were alright

Hatton and Edwards
Deane and Agana
Deane and Bryson
Taylor and Walker
Deane and Fjortoft
Windass and Kabba
Allison and Peschi (late subs)
Shipperley and Webber
Shipperley and Kabba
Creswell and Evans
Porter and Miller (potentailly)?

Before Hulse broke his leg,I really thought him and Stead were destined for greatness together.

Hatton and Edwards
Deane and Agana
Deane and Bryson
Taylor and Walker
Deane and Fjortoft
Windass and Kabba
Shipperley and Webber
Shipperley and Kabba
Creswell and Evans

In the brief number of games they were paired together before the latter buggered off to Benfica, Katman and Saunders had a decent partnership going on...

Hatton and Edwards
Deane and Agana
Deane and Bryson
Taylor and Walker
Deane and Fjortoft
Windass and Kabba
Shipperley and Webber
Shipperley and Kabba
Creswell and Evans

So just Deane and Agana then?

I'll give you a reserve on Hatton and Edwards, only because of the number of goals they scored albeit in the lower divisions but, for me, a strike partnership has to do the business at the highest level.
The fact that we have had one such partnership in over 30 odd years is significant in the level of football we have played in that time.

So just Deane and Agana then?

I'll give you a reserve on Hatton and Edwards, only because of the number of goals they scored albeit in the lower divisions but, for me, a strike partnership has to do the business at the highest level.
The fact that we have had one such partnership in over 30 odd years is significant in the level of football we have played in that time.

So not Deane and Agana then.
I believe Deane and Bryson were our partnership when we won 7 top-flight games on the bounce.

Hatton and Edwards
Deane and Agana
Deane and Bryson
Taylor and Walker
Deane and Fjortoft
Windass and Kabba
Shipperley and Webber
Shipperley and Kabba
Creswell and Evans

^^What he said ^^

Edwards was class although I accept never in the top tier.

Which is to say he may well have gone on to do it. Just never got the chance.

Bryson was always a Winger, although his heading ability saw him successfully fill in as a CF when asked.

Deane and Agana is the one for me. Deane and Jan Aage did do this business but was never a partnership IMHO.

The one partnership I would have loved to have seen would have been Billy and Ched.

From my times:
Taylor & Walker
Taylor & Fjortoft
Bent and Smith
Shipperley & Webber
Cresswell & Evans

Worst must be D'jaffo and Suffo

I'm hoping we might be able to add Kitson and Porter, althoug Porter's doing well at the minute.

deane and agana were the business. for long periods agana looked the better of the two. certainly the more skilful player. most people forget that. before injuries and possibly age took their toll.

i always thought of edwards and morris as a partnership, even though he was a winger.

Mick Jones and Alan Birchenall were the best two that I have seen play together for us. Both big but contrasting styles. It didn't hurt matters that they had Tony Currie and Alan Woodward with them either.

Since then, only Deane and Agana have come close

Back
Top Bottom