Square pegs, Systems and Ball winners

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
I've read some of the knee jerk posts on here this morning, but can't really find a thread which this post fits into. So apologies if i'm repeating some points already made and discussed.

I'll give my comments on last night shortly, but i will say that whilst i was a huge fan of Wilder and what he did for the club, taking us forward, i fully accept that he's gone, i also believe that Slavisa is the best option to take us forward. I will also make no apology for references back to Wilder, he's the most recent benchmark of success. The new manager can't also escape scrutiny, even at such an early stage, nor should the players. So please keep what i say in context.

The System
Last night, watching from behind the goal it appeared to be a very imbalanced back three, but at times with Baldock as the 4th... It was neither a back 4 nor a back 3, Robinson was at times a traditional Left back (with Egan then being a little uncomfortable) but also a Left CB. It was bizarre and as i will come on to, it meant that nobody really knew what their position was. This hasn't been drilled into players and its something which is unnatural to many. Baldock, for all his attacking prowess when he gets played in on the overload was utilised neither as a fullback nor a wingback, he was so deep because Bash was even deeper that whenever he got the ball, those sprints onto the ball were not to the byline but to halfway, at which point, instead of a crap ball into the box, it was a crap ball backwards or inside.

Berge isn't playing the Lundstram role, but he found his way there on the right sometimes as Baldock was so deep, we had nobody making those runs down the wing.

The players can be blamed for not executing the system, not being good enough, but we know, that with the right system, at this level, they are good enough.

Goal Kicks
This has to stop until we find real ball playing centre halves. Bash and Egan lined up alongside Verrips on the edge of the 6 yard box for every first half goal kick, all looking uncomfortable in playing out this way. Egan exposed as he was playing left of the goal but with his right foot, if you're going to play this deep, you need Norwood finding the pass. The WBA press meant there was no option, we had good posession in our own area but nothing else... the ball eventually found its way long and possession gone again.

The Flat Midfield Three
It doesn't work. Fleck, Norwood and Berge are all tidy players, but they are not mobile enough like a Duffy or Freeman to create triangles and fast passes, they weren't able to find a pass at all in the first half. We were bullied, we were uninterested and the players were trying to avoid the tackle, whilst waiting to be hit.

Ball winners
We just didn't have any until the changes were made. Freeman and McBurnie, with an enthusiastic Ozzy offered the only option to force a mistake out of the WBA players. We need a ball winner in the air in both boxes (McBurnie has to play this role if the CB's can't or won't do it) and we lack a terrier, a ball winner or even an enforcer in the middle of the park to protect the other two Centre Midfielders... Or we make more use of Freeman, who in 20 mins did more than any other midfielder has done in the 3 games so far. I'm not a fan of Freeman as i think he often looks busy without creating anything, but last night as the game wore on, he showed some positive signs.

We don't have a nasty player, we need a nasty player.

The Ozzy Position
I have no idea what position he was playing. I have no idea what position is his best. He was so far advanced and so wide that you would expect a luxury player like a winger to take this role, he wasn't getting back, but i don't think he was instructed to. He was pretty much left alone by midfielders and defensive players as they knew that he was so detached that they always had time to get across to him by the time the ball reached him. He was innefective for much of the game, but in the last 20 or so came into it as we attacked more and made use of him.

Strikers
WBA are big units at the back, they would be exposed if we used pace in behind, they would be exposed if we had a big lump up against them for long balls. What we were never going to have success with was two players that want the ball into feet. We started with Sharp and Didsy and they had zero service.
McBurnie and either Brewster/ Burke had to start, that was obvious. No idea why we went with the two we did. McBurnie and Burke were a handful.

Homework
I've aluded to it with the Strikers, but how we didn't even manage to lay a glove on WBA from their throwins is beyond me. Every time. New keeper afforded no protection, but coming to claim balls in a crowded box, leaving an empty net was unforgivable.

Square Pegs/ Round Holes
Its a theme throughout this post, Slavisa managed to find every weakness of our side and play the player in a position to expose it. He touched on it in his post match comments that he allowed the players to play their natural way later in the game, but we were 4-0 down then. It appeared to be better but we were up against a WBA side that had taken its foot off the gas and was then looking for counters (which were dangerous every time).

Yes the players are all accountable, they were poor, but the rigidity of the system that they were clearly instructed to play meant that we didn't see any chance to break the lines, we didn't see anyone stepping out of their zone, it was perhaps the 85th minute when Ozzy made a diagonal run from half way on the left to the corner flag on the right, putting WBA under pressure. It wasn't until perhaps the 80th min until baldock was breaking into the box down the right.

Slavisa has to play the players in the way that they can play and evolve the system as either the players get used to it or we replace players we have. We cannot play a back 3 1/2 its either a 4 or a 3. We can't play Fleck, Norwood and Berge together. We can't have such imbalance with the Wingbacks (if thats what they are), we have to play the right players for the positions and the opposition.

Its going to be a long season, its too early to judge Slavisa, as i said, he should be scrutinised, but its not yet the time for slashing wrists.

I've read some of the knee jerk posts on here this morning, but can't really find a thread which this post fits into. So apologies if i'm repeating some points already made and discussed.

I'll give my comments on last night shortly, but i will say that whilst i was a huge fan of Wilder and what he did for the club, taking us forward, i fully accept that he's gone, i also believe that Slavisa is the best option to take us forward. I will also make no apology for references back to Wilder, he's the most recent benchmark of success. The new manager can't also escape scrutiny, even at such an early stage, nor should the players. So please keep what i say in context.

The System
Last night, watching from behind the goal it appeared to be a very imbalanced back three, but at times with Baldock as the 4th... It was neither a back 4 nor a back 3, Robinson was at times a traditional Left back (with Egan then being a little uncomfortable) but also a Left CB. It was bizarre and as i will come on to, it meant that nobody really knew what their position was. This hasn't been drilled into players and its something which is unnatural to many. Baldock, for all his attacking prowess when he gets played in on the overload was utilised neither as a fullback nor a wingback, he was so deep because Bash was even deeper that whenever he got the ball, those sprints onto the ball were not to the byline but to halfway, at which point, instead of a crap ball into the box, it was a crap ball backwards or inside.

Berge isn't playing the Lundstram role, but he found his way there on the right sometimes as Baldock was so deep, we had nobody making those runs down the wing.

The players can be blamed for not executing the system, not being good enough, but we know, that with the right system, at this level, they are good enough.

Goal Kicks
This has to stop until we find real ball playing centre halves. Bash and Egan lined up alongside Verrips on the edge of the 6 yard box for every first half goal kick, all looking uncomfortable in playing out this way. Egan exposed as he was playing left of the goal but with his right foot, if you're going to play this deep, you need Norwood finding the pass. The WBA press meant there was no option, we had good posession in our own area but nothing else... the ball eventually found its way long and possession gone again.

The Flat Midfield Three
It doesn't work. Fleck, Norwood and Berge are all tidy players, but they are not mobile enough like a Duffy or Freeman to create triangles and fast passes, they weren't able to find a pass at all in the first half. We were bullied, we were uninterested and the players were trying to avoid the tackle, whilst waiting to be hit.

Ball winners
We just didn't have any until the changes were made. Freeman and McBurnie, with an enthusiastic Ozzy offered the only option to force a mistake out of the WBA players. We need a ball winner in the air in both boxes (McBurnie has to play this role if the CB's can't or won't do it) and we lack a terrier, a ball winner or even an enforcer in the middle of the park to protect the other two Centre Midfielders... Or we make more use of Freeman, who in 20 mins did more than any other midfielder has done in the 3 games so far. I'm not a fan of Freeman as i think he often looks busy without creating anything, but last night as the game wore on, he showed some positive signs.

The Ozzy Position
I have no idea what position he was playing. I have no idea what position is his best. He was so far advanced and so wide that you would expect a luxury player like a winger to take this role, he wasn't getting back, but i don't think he was instructed to. He was pretty much left alone by midfielders and defensive players as they knew that he was so detached that they always had time to get across to him by the time the ball reached him. He was innefective for much of the game, but in the last 20 or so came into it as we attacked more and made use of him.

Strikers
WBA are big units at the back, they would be exposed if we used pace in behind, they would be exposed if we had a big lump up against them for long balls. What we were never going to have success with was two players that want the ball into feet. We started with Sharp and Didsy and they had zero service.
McBurnie and either Brewster/ Burke had to start, that was obvious. No idea why we went with the two we did. McBurnie and Burke were a handful.

Homework
I've aluded to it with the Strikers, but how we didn't even manage to lay a glove on WBA from their throwins is beyond me. Every time. New keeper afforded no protection, but coming to claim balls in a crowded box, leaving an empty net was unforgivable.

Square Pegs/ Round Holes
Its a theme throughout this post, Slavisa managed to find every weakness of our side and play the player in a position to expose it. He touched on it in his post match comments that he allowed the players to play their natural way later in the game, but we were 4-0 down then. It appeared to be better but we were up against a WBA side that had taken its foot off the gas and was then looking for counters (which were dangerous every time).

Yes the players are all accountable, they were poor, but the rigidity of the system that they were clearly instructed to play meant that we didn't see any chance to break the lines, we didn't see anyone stepping out of their zone, it was perhaps the 85th minute when Ozzy made a diagonal run from half way on the left to the corner flag on the right, putting WBA under pressure. It wasn't until perhaps the 80th min until baldock was breaking into the box down the right.

Slavisa has to play the players in the way that they can play and evolve the system as either the players get used to it or we replace players we have. We cannot play a back 3 1/2 its either a 4 or a 3. We can't play Fleck, Norwood and Berge together. We can't have such imbalance with the Wingbacks (if thats what they are), we have to play the right players for the positions and the opposition.

Its going to be a long season, its too early to judge Slavisa, as i said, he should be scrutinised, but its not yet the time for slashing wrists.
Thanks for that swiss. Interesting read.

Ball winners

I think this sums up the problem. We have allowed ourselves to be bullied in both the Birmingham and West Brom games. We need a Chris Morgan like character to stand up to them

The System

Goal Kicks

The Flat Midfield Three

Ball winners

The Ozzy Position

Strikers

Homework

Square Pegs/ Round Holes

Nailed it, particularly with the comment lacking the nasty, ball winning terrier

Last edited:
I think this sums up the problem. We have allowed ourselves to be bullied in both the Birmingham and West Brom games. We need a Chris Morgan like character to stand up to them
I think the back 3 can handle themselves, but i don't think any of them physically dominate. They're nice players that don't shirk challenges. JOC was also a nice player, but he was bigger and more physically imposing, especially in the air.

But i think the biggest issue is that in the midfield we don't have anyone that really puts a foot in when we have Norwood getting overrun or Berge waiting for challenges to come...

All great points. My main concern is that the players aren't on board with Slav's methods. They all played for Wilder. It was a team, even a family. Last night looked like 15 cheesed off individuals. If that continues, we're guaranteed bottom half, even relegation

All great points. My main concern is that the players aren't on board with Slav's methods. They all played for Wilder. It was a team, even a family. Last night looked like 15 cheesed off individuals. If that continues, we're guaranteed bottom half, even relegation
To be fair, they used to play for Wilder, spent the best part of a season not playing

Cheers. Looking last night and thinking back to Birmingham and Swansea, the result was coming. We just have so many failings in the way we're playing. I actually thought that he would change things after Swansea, but perhaps he thought he saw something which worked.

I agree, the players aren't onboard with Slavisa's methods and i don't think they can be expected to switch over straight away, the goal kick routine appeared to be really strange, players awkwardly walking the ball around until eventually booting it... Its a routine that you'd see in a coached session and the coach would stop everyone midway through and get them to think more creatively about their movements... We were far too rigid.

I don't think there is a lack of effort, i don't even think that the players don't want to play for Slavissa, I genuinely think that they were trying their best to play the way he'd told them. It just isn't working. Too many aspects that perhaps work in training but aren't working against a smart opposition. Lambs to the slaughter if you wish.

Perhaps if we'd had some more friendlies and time together in pre season it would've been more advanced, we do seem to be slow to get going with it.

We have to go back to the natural way of playing for now, if only to consolidate and stay up as you say.

Still a long way to go, but that result probably came at the right time for Slavissa. If it was in another 6-8 games time he'd have used up any of the good will that he has with the fans and owners.

Cheers. Looking last night and thinking back to Birmingham and Swansea, the result was coming. We just have so many failings in the way we're playing. I actually thought that he would change things after Swansea, but perhaps he thought he saw something which worked.

I agree, the players aren't onboard with Slavisa's methods and i don't think they can be expected to switch over straight away, the goal kick routine appeared to be really strange, players awkwardly walking the ball around until eventually booting it... Its a routine that you'd see in a coached session and the coach would stop everyone midway through and get them to think more creatively about their movements... We were far too rigid.

I don't think there is a lack of effort, i don't even think that the players don't want to play for Slavissa, I genuinely think that they were trying their best to play the way he'd told them. It just isn't working. Too many aspects that perhaps work in training but aren't working against a smart opposition. Lambs to the slaughter if you wish.

Perhaps if we'd had some more friendlies and time together in pre season it would've been more advanced, we do seem to be slow to get going with it.

We have to go back to the natural way of playing for now, if only to consolidate and stay up as you say.

Still a long way to go, but that result probably came at the right time for Slavissa. If it was in another 6-8 games time he'd have used up any of the good will that he has with the fans and owners.
Last night highlighted a few issues, one for me was the lack of fight, WBA looked well schooled and more than up for the fight, the guy that followed through on Didsy and the other wing back that body checked Billy and then feigned injury.
If you haven't got the characters to go toe to toe, then you have to adopt another strategy, that's effective but not pretty to watch, Didsy should have gone down and stayed down, while 3/4 of our players surrounded and screamed at the ref, instead Didsy stuck a finger in the guys face and got booked, he then stayed well away from him for the rest of the game.
WBA won all those little battles all over the pitch, if you react and get booked then make it worth it, not with a finger in the face.
Not only do we lack leaders, we seem to be lacking a collective team spirit, no one reacted, waded in to help anyone else, no one was in there's ear, if a WBA player hade steamed in and left one of ours laid out,,the other ten would have been looking the other way

Excellent summary Swiss.

I get giving Slav time, and he can have it I will remain happy with his appointment for sure. But it is like he's not watched any tape on us at all. It has felt a bit like he's winging it, lobbing them out there under instructions they don't really understand, in a team which isn't our best. Id like to feel a little more like he's getting a grasp on us as I'm not sure it'll just "click".

Swiss a great thoughtful review. At least Freeman was willing to take players on to break the press. Switching the ball to a player open on the opposite wing is great - as long as you support that player - but it was always a WBA player who got there first.

Wish I could think of an easy fix.

According to the stats, the whole team committed just THREE fouls all match. That is disgraceful.
I said to my mate during the game, that other than Didsy's yellow (which from a distance looked like it could've been worse) that we'd not fouled them at all

Last night highlighted a few issues, one for me was the lack of fight, WBA looked well schooled and more than up for the fight, the guy that followed through on Didsy and the other wing back that body checked Billy and then feigned injury.
If you haven't got the characters to go toe to toe, then you have to adopt another strategy, that's effective but not pretty to watch, Didsy should have gone down and stayed down, while 3/4 of our players surrounded and screamed at the ref, instead Didsy stuck a finger in the guys face and got booked, he then stayed well away from him for the rest of the game.
WBA won all those little battles all over the pitch, if you react and get booked then make it worth it, not with a finger in the face.
Not only do we lack leaders, we seem to be lacking a collective team spirit, no one reacted, waded in to help anyone else, no one was in there's ear, if a WBA player hade steamed in and left one of ours laid out,,the other ten would have been looking the other way
Agreed, as a side note, Billy and Berge appeared to be going down very easily

Swiss a great thoughtful review. At least Freeman was willing to take players on to break the press. Switching the ball to a player open on the opposite wing is great - as long as you support that player - but it was always a WBA player who got there first.

Wish I could think of an easy fix.
Problem with switching to the opposite wing was the glaring gap in terms of physicality between our 'wingers' and their wing backs, Furlong won the battle with his follow through fore arm check against Didsy, who never went near him again, and other than Osborn, no one else was up for it either, until McB came on

Agreed, as a side note, Billy and Berge appeared to be going down very easily
They did, but even though Billy won a couple of free kicks, we never exploited it or put any pressure on the ref, I know we are not used to that as supporters, but let's not limit ourselves, let's adopt a "By any means" approach

They did, but even though Billy won a couple of free kicks, we never exploited it or put any pressure on the ref, I know we are not used to that as supporters, but let's not limit ourselves, let's adopt a "By any means" approach
It never sits right with me when i see players do that sort of thing, again, a proper shit kicker in the side would've picked Berge up and told him to sort himself out... as it was, Slav hooked him off

It never sits right with me when i see players do that sort of thing, again, a proper shit kicker in the side would've picked Berge up and told him to sort himself out... as it was, Slav hooked him off
You know yourself the art of managing people is finding someone's trigger point and using it, Berge appears to be a thoroughly nice chap, with no edge to him, someone that's never lost his temper, the task for Slav is either giving the hair dryer treatment before a game, or stand on the touchline, threatening to rip Berge's Teddy bears arms off, as the game progresses.

I think it was definitely a 4-4-2 but with 3 central midfielders and Osborn on the left and no-one on the right. It was very strange and I'm not sure I've seen us play anything similar before. I can't really think of a rationale for it.

Other than that, the strangest thing for me was the choice of Sharp and McGoldrick up front. WBA have got a big back 3 and play a very high line so I was surprised to see us go with our two slowest strikers. I thought we'd go with Burke and if we couldn't beat their press at least we'd have the option of sticking it over the top of them for him to chase.

You know yourself the art of managing people is finding someone's trigger point and using it, Berge appears to be a thoroughly nice chap, with no edge to him, someone that's never lost his temper, the task for Slav is either giving the hair dryer treatment before a game, or stand on the touchline, threatening to rip Berge's Teddy bears arms off, as the game progresses.
Yeah you also want players like that in the side, he clearly gets targetted as he is easily roughed up, but doesn't react. But either he needs to start giving it back or he needs someone alongside him that acts as his enforcer... The sort of player that says to Berge, "leave him to me" after he's been fouled.

I think it was definitely a 4-4-2 but with 3 central midfielders and Osborn on the left and no-one on the right. It was very strange and I'm not sure I've seen us play anything similar before. I can't really think of a rationale for it.

Other than that, the strangest thing for me was the choice of Sharp and McGoldrick up front. WBA have got a big back 3 and play a very high line so I was surprised to see us go with our two slowest strikers. I thought we'd go with Burke and if we couldn't beat their press at least we'd have the option of sticking it over the top of them for him to chase.
You could look at that game and stop the video several times and you'd still be none the wiser as the actual system... back 3, back 3.5, back 4..... and Ozzy out on the touchline but looking busy all game... somehow

Yeah you also want players like that in the side, he clearly gets targetted as he is easily roughed up, but doesn't react. But either he needs to start giving it back or he needs someone alongside him that acts as his enforcer... The sort of player that says to Berge, "leave him to me" after he's been fouled.
We both know it's not like the old days, but especially against Brum, none if his mates stepped in, stood in front of, challenged or even gave those involved any verbals, we are lacking the physicality and the histrionics, but lacking a loud voice

Wasn't there, but looked like a back 4 of George, Bash, Egan, Robinson.. Berge on the right of midfield,with Norwood, Fleck in the centre and Osborn on the left.. then McG and Sharp up top.
Osborn was getting up in support, but starting from a left midfield position,and Norwood dropping deep to get on the ball.

Michael Doyle was excellent at that role. You knew he was going to smash someone ages before it happened.

Back
Top Bottom