Speed to Swansea?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

LoughboroBlade

Reaction score
With Paolo Sousa leaving to head to Leicester, I'm going to predict that they make a move for Gary Speed. Haven't seen this reported yet, but it seems like an obvious move move them. They've a recent history of bringing in young, unproven, managers at the start of their career, and I can see Speed taking it if asked.

If only someone else hadn't post this just a few hours since ;)

I think you're suggesting a changing of the guard at BDTBL Bob?

Not exactly no although someone is hinting at that on BM.

I think Speed will be in a good position IF Blackwell is replaced. Given that he has had 3 very good opportunities at promotion (very competitive wage bills) I don't think he has many more chances after this season.

Speed isn't stupid and is sure to know/see this. He certainly has become more visible in the past 9 months, while Ellis seems to have been pushed to the back .

I agree with Loughboro Blade, I hope he doesn't go though I know he's not proven yet, but we did give Steve Bruce his first job, he wasn't bad but did goose us formore money. Plus he's got a lot of clout in football & he would maybe be able to bring players in who we might want to see in a red & white shirt. Also he's played in a lot of teams that have passed the ball on the floor, & not huffing it all through the game without a plan B.

Plus he's got a lot of clout in football & he would maybe be able to bring players in who we might want to see in a red & white shirt..

I think this type of influence is often overstated. It might be the deciding factor when two similar bids are recieved but its the cash that talks :(

it would be a travisty if speed were to leave.id fear the worse.He`s our only hope of us pushing the ball around in any decent fashion,and the only name that can attract any decent players.Hands of swansea,take blackwell if anyone.

Strange to think that when Warnock was here, there was a widely held belief that Blackwell was the tactical genius behind the scenes...

I'm sticking with my blind faith opinion that Speed isn't going to go.

That incidentally totally flies in the face of what seems to be going around.

Gianfranco Zola now 8/13 favourite, Speed out to 11/4

The blocking of Speed's move by the club is most unBlades like, the only credible reason that I can think of as to why they shouldn't grant permission, get another wage off the staff bill and seek some compensation from Swansea is that the Board have already discussed what to do if the start of the season doesn't go well, ie get rid Blackwell and offer Speed the manager's job.

Update from the BBC....

It is understood the Swans' interest in Gary Speed is not completely over.

"Gary is very disappointed Sheffield United have refused him permission to talk to Swansea," said a source close to the former Wales captain.

"He wanted to [talk to Swansea] and fancied the job. He's been trying since Thursday to get them to change their mind given he only has one year left on his [Blades] coaching contract and has made it clear he would like the Swansea job."

Back
Top Bottom