Somethings have not gone to plan.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
When Clough arrived at Bramall Lane he said the squad he inherited was too big. Then and in the summer he said he would aim to work with 18/19 as an optimum number.

At one stage of the early summer he was heading down to 10 and therefore he needed to act swiftly and decisively, and he did. It was so encouraging to see early activity in the summer.

I've just done a count of the current squad and we are at 22, excluding Reed and Diego etc. and apparently we attempted to sign 3 new players last Monday. Somethings therefore have not gone to plan.

I'll list the 22 and show the players Clough inherited in the first batch:

Howard, Flynn, Doyle, Murphy, Baxter, McGinn, Willis, Collins, Porter. Clough has re-signed Porter and Flynn ( and maybe Howard ).

Alcock, Harris, Wallace, Butler, Basham, Scougall, McNulty, Davies, McGahey, McEvely, Campell-Ryce, Higdon, Turner.

To my mind, I reckon Clough may not satisfied with the quality of players he has brought in. Obviously there is a problem with Butler and Wallace struggles for fitness as yet but it seems to me that for a strategic target of 18/19 to be exceeded by 3 already and attempts made to sign another 3, there is concern that we are not where we wanted to be.

For the Board that has financial implications. Clough had agreed his budget and presumably spent that around the 19 player mark.

We are woefully short up front and IMO short in central defence. We have loads of quality midfielders and could pick two midfields almost. All of a sudden we have enough full backs thankfully.

Presumably if 3 come in then up to 6 could depart if 19 is an optimum number. Porter (why did we sign him again), McGinn, Butler, are obvious candidates but who else? Far from being too tight, could it be that the Board have had to sanction a much bigger budget recently because things have not gone to plan.

Let's face it we have struggled to date and we all realise it takes time for players to settle, especially those who are unfit on signing. We have a number of players who have yet to make a positive contribution. To think we hoped to have a further 3 new faces this week just cannot have been in the original plan. A further 3 players who need to settle in and gell with teammates.

It could be at least November before things start to settle down. Clough will value the contribution the above players in the first batch are making, though he was slow to include some of them at the start of the season. It seems to me the new signings are not meeting the manager's expectations, nowhere near.

Will there be pressure on Simon Clough at this point in time? I would think so.

When Clough arrived at Bramall Lane he said the squad he inherited was too big. Then and in the summer he said he would aim to work with 18/19 as an optimum number.

At one stage of the early summer he was heading down to 10 and therefore he needed to act swiftly and decisively, and he did. It was so encouraging to see early activity in the summer.

I've just done a count of the current squad and we are at 22, excluding Reed and Diego etc. and apparently we attempted to sign 3 new players last Monday. Somethings therefore have not gone to plan.

Howard, Flynn, Doyle, Murphy, Baxter, McGinn, Willis, Collins, Porter. Clough has re-signed Porter and Flynn ( and maybe Howard ).

Alcock, Harris, Wallace, Butler, Basham, Scougall, McNulty, Davies, McGahey, McEvely, Campell-Ryce, Higdon, Turner.

To my mind, I reckon Clough may not satisfied with the quality of players he has brought in. Obviously there is a problem with Butler and Wallace struggles for fitness as yet but it seems to me that for a strategic target of 18/19 to be exceeded by 3 already and attempts made to sign another 3, there is concern that we are not where we wanted to be.

For the Board that has financial implications. Clough had agreed his budget and presumably spent that around the 19 player mark.

We are woefully short up front and IMO short in central defence. We have loads of quality midfielders and could pick two midfields almost. All of a sudden we have enough full backs thankfully.

Presumably if 3 come in then up to 6 could depart if 19 is an optimum number. Porter (why did we sign him again), McGinn, Butler, are obvious candidates but who else? Far from being too tight, could it be that the Board have had to sanction a much bigger budget recently because things have not gone to plan.

Let's face it we have struggled to date and we all realise it takes time for players to settle, especially those who are unfit on signing. We have a number of players who have yet to make a positive contribution. To think we hoped to have a further 3 new faces this week just cannot have been in the original plan. A further 3 players who need to settle in and gell with teammates.

It could be at least November before things start to settle down. Clough will value the contribution the above players in the first batch are making, though he was slow to include some of them at the start of the season. It seems to me the new signings are not meeting the manager's expectations, nowhere near.

I wouldn't say we were struggling now mate,infact i think the international break came at the wrong time.

The performances are improving and the 4 points won away at Peterborough and PNE was a lot more than fans expected

Out of your squad listings,I expect McGinn along with Porter and possibly Butler to go out on loan. McGahey and Wills are Under 21 playesr (I think NC was talking about senior players with the U21's extra) and Turner is just temporary keeper cover. I also suspect, maybe wrongly that Doyle and Collins will be moved on as soon as suitable replacements are found.(in Doyle's case I think that is Wallace who will play alongside Basham and Baxter with JCR and Murphy wide and Flynn + the kids as back up). I think Butler was Collins' replacement but it appears he hasn't 'stepped up' .

As for forwards, we play one up front and NC has brought in 2 strikers,renewed another's contract and Baxter + Murphy can play there. Not ideal using the latter two but unless we are suddenly going to go 4-4-2 I can't see another striker coming in unless he is exceptional (for this level) and in effect NC would be admitting he has got in wrong.

Simon Clough will be under instructions to look for a certain type of player so I am sure the pressure has been there from the start

I think he actually said 18 or 19 outfield players.
Take Howard, Turner and Willis out of your 22 and he's currently bang on.

If he signs 3 new loan players, I expect that McGinn, Porter and Butler will be loaned out.
Cuvelier will too as soon as he's fit.

Correction:-
According to this the plan was to have 20 outfield players + youth players:-
http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/clough-update-8-july.35167/#post-621092

Include Cuvelier and we're on 20 now.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Let's not get stuck on detail. The main issue here is that "Some things have not gone to plan" and we fans need to understand that and respond to adversity in these early games of a long season. Bonding between fans, club and manager happens in difficult times more than good times. The other main point I make, and I'm guessing, is that Clough must now have an increased and revised budget to fund the next three signings.

Down day today? I'll come back tomorrow when everything is all right again.

• Banned
I'd like to make another point about Squads and U-21's.

In my view Kennedy can defend at least as well as McGahey in central defence and he's a bloody good full back as well.

I see new managers invariably discarding their inherited players, often to sign lesser players , and regularly costing a lot more money in higher leagues.

I think Kennedy is suffering from the "twixt and between manager" syndrome. I also happened to think Whitehouse was a player too.

That's life.

By the way, I never thought Slew, McFadzean and Ironside were any good whatsoever - and I only say that to balance my comments and to make a point.

I'd like to make another point about Squads and U-21's.

In my view Kennedy can defend at least as well as McGahey in central defence and he's a bloody good full back as well.

I see new managers invariably discarding their inherited players, often to sign lesser players , and regularly costing a lot more money in higher leagues.

I think Kennedy is suffering from the "twixt and between manager" syndrome. I also happened to think Whitehouse was a player too.

He's suffering more from having a knackered knee than anything unfortunately.

Whitehouse was the next one through for a while for me, then he got injured and it all went wrong from there.

Back
Top Bottom