So, what happened?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
To be honest, we started exactly as I thought we should, despite being two key players short. Tight, reading each other and exploiting Man United's critical weaknesses - one of which is they aren't Man United of ten, fifteen years ago and have gone through some torrid times at the hands of some frankly shit managers.

Loved our ability to push them far into their half, loved the pressing, loved the ability to deny their front three of anything. Mouse was tactically placed to stand on the lumpen Jones, Didsy was class and our midfield was seriously, acut well above a midfield orth ten times their assumed value. We deserved to be three up by the break and De Gea was the difference in it being two more than it was. Everyone else in Man U colours was totally dogshit and they looked stunned to be having to go in at half time one down. The fact that we came out eager for more in the second half was not surprising but ... here's the weakness.

The first goal of theirs, we were practically in the shower and chucking our strip in the dirty kit bin. We'd not allowed Man U the width they suddenly had available and the cross would have been mopped up with the usual Basham-Egan-O'Connell combination. Great finish, mind. Be nice if Stevens or Baldock can do that from the deep lying wingback position. They can do it. But the second and third? Step forward Jags. Allowed the ball across his body to the attacker (fatal mistake for someone so experienced) and the second one was hopelessly out of position for the pull back. You could see it all in his face. I doubt that Egan - or Stearman - would have let that happen. I'm not taking anything away from Man U's ability to turn a wheezy jog into a lungbusting sprint, but as soon as we lacked the guile up front with Mouse and McGoldrick, we looked like that scoreline had been in place all match. It was tributes to the players for going at them for the equaliser ... and fuck off, it was nowhere near a handball.

Shame for us tonight. 70 minutes of class, five minutes of lack of concentration, ten minutes of struggling to get something back and five minutes of VAR. We deserved a lot more.

Moore 8/10: Good stops where needed. Possibly could have got down for the first. Hendo would have and there is the difference between them both.
Baldock 9/10: Great performance and looks PL quality
Basham 8/10: Still has those 'shit your pants moments' with his 50p heading, but left nowt out on the Desso
Jagielka 6.5/10: He's cracking on a bit ... and it shows. Brilliant times challenges at times but at fault for two of theirs
O'Connell 8.5/10: Great shift. I thought he was our best Centre Back
Stevens 8/10: Again, some quality stuff down the flanks at times even if he does hold it up a bit at times
Fleck 10/10: I thought he was fucking awesome.
Norwood 7.5/10: Less so. Telling moment was his mishit 'pass' into touch at the kick off after one of the goals. Sometimes 'simple' is better than 'complex'
Lundstram 9/10: Still defies belief as yesterday's transfer out possible. Can't see us completing the season without him now and we need to get his contract sorted, fast (if we haven't already)
Moussett 9.5/10: Christ, he's difficult. He just harries and badgers, never gives it up. Hope that hamstring injury is just a tweak
McGoldrick 10/10: Such craft and guile. Such a clever player. I hope to fuck he gets his goal soon

McBurnie 8/10: Was there when it counted and did the job
Sharp 7/10: Didn't get much chance to make an impact
Robinson nm: See above

Wilder: 8/10: Deserved the lead but fuck me, if you lose your outlet and you ability to keep the opposition in their half, don't try to one-for-one with a different attacker. McBurnie isn't Moussett and really, we could have done with taking Norwood off and putting Besic on and going 5-4-1 to stop the wide play which led to their goals.

Fucking great game though. We are awesome value.

pommpey

ps: If you are going to disagree with my 'out of tens', please do it like an adult, eh? Opinions are like arseholes. You have one, so do I.

I know we didn’t win, but I fancied us from the start simply because I couldn’t imagine any Man Utd captain in the last 30 years coming to Bramall Lane and turning us round. They simply would believe they were good enough to get the job done in 1st or 2nd half. It was the tactic of a captain from League One.

The game was decided today when Lundstram ran out of legs and they started over-loading Baldock because Lundstram wasn't sliding over to help him out with the same intensity ...

Need to be tactically more astute to that but fuck me, imagine being disappointed after drawing 3-3 with man Utd?!?!

The game was decided today when Lundstram ran out of legs and they started over-loading Baldock because Lundstram wasn't sliding over to help him out with the same intensity ...

Need to be tactically more astute to that but fuck me, imagine being disappointed after drawing 3-3 with man Utd?!?!

No we need a stronger bench, we are exposed when key players are injured/suspended/need a rest. January is key to whether we stay top 6 or not.

To be honest, we started exactly as I thought we should, despite being two key players short. Tight, reading each other and exploiting Man United's critical weaknesses - one of which is they aren't Man United of ten, fifteen years ago and have gone through some torrid times at the hands of some frankly shit managers.

Loved our ability to push them far into their half, loved the pressing, loved the ability to deny their front three of anything. Mouse was tactically placed to stand on the lumpen Jones, Didsy was class and our midfield was seriously, acut well above a midfield orth ten times their assumed value. We deserved to be three up by the break and De Gea was the difference in it being two more than it was. Everyone else in Man U colours was totally dogshit and they looked stunned to be having to go in at half time one down. The fact that we came out eager for more in the second half was not surprising but ... here's the weakness.

The first goal of theirs, we were practically in the shower and chucking our strip in the dirty kit bin. We'd not allowed Man U the width they suddenly had available and the cross would have been mopped up with the usual Basham-Egan-O'Connell combination. Great finish, mind. Be nice if Stevens or Baldock can do that from the deep lying wingback position. They can do it. But the second and third? Step forward Jags. Allowed the ball across his body to the attacker (fatal mistake for someone so experienced) and the second one was hopelessly out of position for the pull back. You could see it all in his face. I doubt that Egan - or Stearman - would have let that happen. I'm not taking anything away from Man U's ability to turn a wheezy jog into a lungbusting sprint, but as soon as we lacked the guile up front with Mouse and McGoldrick, we looked like that scoreline had been in place all match. It was tributes to the players for going at them for the equaliser ... and fuck off, it was nowhere near a handball.

Shame for us tonight. 70 minutes of class, five minutes of lack of concentration, ten minutes of struggling to get something back and five minutes of VAR. We deserved a lot more.

Moore 8/10: Good stops where needed. Possibly could have got down for the first. Hendo would have and there is the difference between them both.
Basham 8/10: Still has those 'shit your pants moments' with his 50p heading, but left nowt out on the Desso
Jagielka 6.5/10: He's cracking on a bit ... and it shows. Brilliant times challenges at times but at fault for two of theirs
Stevens 8/10: Again, some quality stuff down the flanks at times even if he does hold it up a bit at times
Norwood 7.5/10: Less so. Telling moment was his mishit 'pass' into touch at the kick off after one of the goals. Sometimes 'simple' is better than 'complex'
Lundstram 9/10: Still defies belief as yesterday's transfer out possible. Can't see us completing the season without him now and we need to get his contract sorted, fast (if we haven't already)
Moussett 9.5/10: Christ, he's difficult. He just harries and badgers, never gives it up. Hope that hamstring injury is just a tweak
McGoldrick 10/10: Such craft and guile. Such a clever player. I hope to fuck he gets his goal soon

Wilder: 8/10: Deserved the lead but fuck me, if you lose your outlet and you ability to keep the opposition in their half, don't try to one-for-one with a different attacker. McBurnie isn't Moussett and really, we could have done with taking Norwood off and putting Besic on and going 5-4-1 to stop the wide play which led to their goals.

pommpey

ps: If you are going to disagree with my 'out of tens', please do it like an adult, eh? Opinions are like arseholes. You have one, so do I.

I don’t see where Jags was at fault for two of theirs, you can slightly criticise the wide Centre backs but the first was a cracker and the balls in for the other two were world class..

Tactics were the reason for their goals, sitting too deep and letting them come onto us!
Despite their form and how poor they were today (we didn't let them play), as soon as we sat back and stopped playing our game their quality players were able to punish us!

I don’t think Moore was at fault for the first, and I doubt hendo would have saved it either, it was a top class finish from the kid.

Definitely could have done better on the 3rd though.

He was far too slow setting himself (he didn't) but he'd not have got that anyway.

Careful mate. Vulturs are out tonight.

8/10 for Moore?

I'd give him a 5 and he should thank me for it.

5 shots on target, 2 were bobbly rubbish, and the other 3 went in, first one fair do's, the other two Hendo would have got, not to say a rebound might have found its way in but still. And the third is absolutely abysmal from him.

I know he's not played blah blah blah but that's unbelievable from a pro.

Vital we get Verrips sorted in my opinion, and identify a first choice keeper (if it's not Verrips, or if we can't get Henderson again).

Otherwise agree.

I think a more commie approach would have done it eh pommmmey?.... lets nationalise Sheffield Utd you commie twat!!!

8/10 for Moore?

5 shots on target, 2 were bobbly rubbish, and the other 3 went in, first one fair do's, the other two Hendo would have got, not to say a rebound might have found its way in but still. And the third is absolutely abysmal from him.

Vital we get Verrips sorted in my opinion, and identify a first choice keeper (if it's not Verrips, or if we can't get Henderson again).

Otherwise agree.

He’s not a premier league quality keeper, I think that’s all there is to it really. If lose Hendo for whatever reason, we’ll be in trouble.

Tactics were the reason for their goals, sitting too deep and letting them come onto us!
Despite their form and how poor they were today (we didn't let them play), as soon as we sat back and stopped playing our game their quality players were able to punish us!

This and this, with the loss of our outlet.

Norwood an 8 for me, showed good composure many a time and whipped a few beauties in.

I don’t see where Jags was at fault for two of theirs, you can slightly criticise the wide Centre backs but the first was a cracker and the balls in for the other two were world class..

Second Goal.jpg

Just look at his positioning here. He lets the ball drift right across his body with the opposition striker, right behind him.

Second Goal 2.JPG

Result

Third Goal.JPG

Third goal, instead of moving in on their advancing player earlier and cutting off his diagonal run toward the six yard box, he dithers and appears to want to mark Rashford. It opens up exactly the gap needed and allows Rashford enough time to receive and slot the ball home.

He was knackered as well. Should have brought Stears on earlier. Besic in the middle and gone 5-4-1

pommpey

Third goal, instead of moving in on their advancing player earlier and cutting off his diagonal run toward the six yard box, he dithers and appears to want to mark Rashford. It opens up exactly the gap needed and allows Rashford enough time to receive and slot the ball home.

He was knackered as well. Should have brought Stears on earlier. Besic in the middle and gone 5-4-1

pommpey

look at Moore’s positioning for that 3rd though. Hopeless

No Stearman on the bench though. I assume if Jags had needed to go off it'd have been Osborn with JOC and Stevens moving over into CB and LCB.

Disappointed yes but VAR killed the comeback.

View attachment 65276

Just look at his positioning here. He lets the ball drift right across his body with the opposition striker, right behind him.

View attachment 65277

Result

View attachment 65278

pommpey

Agree with that. Poor concentration and maybe tiredness for the first. He's flat footed and by the time he reacts the only thing he could have done was put it in his own net. He was in no mans land for the second. Defensive errors on all goals really. Not major ones but ones I'm no doubt will not have gone unnoticed.

RogerM, exactly what I saw. For some reason Lunny just stopped tracking his man and stopped tackling. I noticed it straight away. You’re probably correct assuming his legs had gone. He was invisible in the seven minutes of MU’s dominance. He seemed to recover at the end.
Lunny put so much effort in for 70 mins it was probably expected really.
Great game and fantastic determination shown by all the team.

pommpey

I have to agree. I said exactly the same about Jags while watching the game, and Zorba Baldock was centre of the goal when he really should have been covering their far post man. Nit picking though, because we are an unbelievably good team and deserve to be here. At the start of the season I told my brother that we would qualify for europe .

pommpey

Good read Pomps as per norm. But, how the fuck can you give McG 9.5? He missed a bang on sitter with the header (always head down from close range = a goal), also, when shooting, just try and avoid putting it down the keepers throat FFS, just a suggestion. He can't finish simple as that, but yeah, his overall link up game is great, but if we'd lost today, I'd be remembering his misses, not his link up play.

pommpey

Summed up perfectly pal 😁

Good read Pomps as per norm. But, how the fuck can you give McG 9.5? He missed a bang on sitter with the header (always head down from close range = a goal), also, when shooting, just try and avoid putting it down the keepers throat FFS, just a suggestion. He can't finish simple as that, but yeah, his overall link up game is great, but if we'd lost today, I'd be remembering his misses, not his link up play.

McG is more on what he does when he doesn't have the ball for me. Yep, he should have buried that header, but he doesn't half dig situations out and hardly ever disappears. Teams don't like playing against players like him because he is tricky and unpredictable, and like his 'goal' against Spuds, just pitches up in the right zone to knock it in (or not as it was tonight)

Like a lot of attackers, if you have the ability to make the run and drag markers out of position and open up a route for another player, then it's as crucial as anything.

pommpey

8/10 for Moore?

Otherwise agree.
This Hendo a fucking magician?

Two shots from 6yds out and he"ve had saved em both?

I think Egan in the 6yd box would have made more of a difference

Moore shouldn't have come off his line for their third, Hendo wouldn't have, he'd probably have saved it we'd have another 2 points, but hey, let's move on hey!

This Hendo a fucking magician?

Two shots from 6yds out and he"ve had saved em both?

I think Egan in the 6yd box would have made more of a difference

Yep I believe so.

Moore never uses his feet and seems to get down in slow motion.

It's not like the second went in the corner, it was just to the side of him, stick a foot out, I think Henderson would have. As it was Moore was still upright when the ball was about to cross the line. His dive over and roll was embarrassing, he was as close to stopping it going in as I was.

The third, Henderson, or any other keeper because Christ knows what Moore thought was going to happen, would have covered the goal for the shot rather than running to the person crossing the ball 5 yards out leaving the net wide open.

Result might not have been any different, could have been rebounds etc, and sure Jags isn't Egan, but I hope we have Verrips for the away fixture.

Back
Top Bottom