Slav's preferred formation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
I've been thinking about our squad strength and what players we need but I'm struggling because I can't work out what his preferred formation will be.

Has he stated anywhere how he's looking to play?

What business we need to do today will depend heavily on formation and style. If he's playing 2 upfront then probably covered but we're 1-2 short for a front 3, for instance. If we're playing 2 CBs then we're probably short of one. etc

The business we do today will depend heavily on who we can get in cheaply, preferably on loan.

formation doesn't come into it.

Clubs who are organised buy players to fit formations earlier in the window.

I understood before he came in that he's favoured a back 4 at other clubs and that has certainly looked to be his go to against Donny, Birmingham, Swansea and WBA...

But it looks like he's also tried to adapt and bastardise this to fit the players that we have.

When Bash and Baldock play, we certainly look better with a back 3 with wing backs, but we seemed to be more focused on a 4-4-2 or 4-4-3 when we lost them both against Luton.

I think as Revolution said, we fit the system around the players we have. He's certainly not shy about changing things around (perhaps too much just now)

to play 433 we need to bring 2 wide attacking players in today but i do think this is slavs favoured system if this guierdo or whatever his name is comes in today can see him sitting in front of a back 4 with berge and hourihane the other 2 further forward

5 at the back is how the club has been since 2016.Slav arrives with 1 covid month to change a hammered squad. 2nd from bottom and 1 league goal is the result. Intelligent, 1touch footballers are needed for this system. Burke proves speed is no help if running in the wrong direction.

It was interesting before the Doncaster friendly that he was thinking of playing 2 different formations (said so in an interview) in the ONLY 2 friendlies we had. That was scuppered when the Norwich game was called off, but the 1st half v Doncaster was a 4 at the back first half, with probably our starting 11 and then second half we played 3 at the back with loads of kids, so that was presumably to give others a runout.

Norwich may have given us a better clue, but that is now history.

As others have said, 4 at the back is his preferred set up from other teams - but not convinced the defence is the problem. Midfield is the problem and breaking down teams that sit in, is the problem - we were pretty hopeless at it again on Saturday v Luton no matter what formation we played which was different 1st half and 2nd half. Our midfield looks laboured - no one except Berge is prepared to run at people on a 1 on 1. RND did well down the left and Baldock/Bogle have done ok, but balls into the box are abysmal.

Will be interested to see where Hourihane will play and perhaps this is the start of something radical - perhaps Hourihane and Berge in the centre together in midfield with Egan and Davies behind them as 2 CB's.

I think what is clear, is that SJ is still searching for a formula that works so I expect more messing around with players and formations until he hits (hopefully) on a working formation giving us the opportunity to hit the play off spots. Don't scoff - there is still plenty of time, but we must start picking up the pace/style of the Championship pretty soon for this to become a reality.

When we lost 4-5 to Fulham - those few games around that time (21st November 2017) kicked off Fulhams run up the table - lets hope we can do the same! Yes, for ever the optimist.................but who's going to play up top and put the ball in the net!!!!! - perhaps that's a question for another day.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom