2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup - 1st March 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
TOTT
TOTT
TOTT
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
spurs.gif

FA Cup Round 5 - Wednesday 1st March 2023 - 19:55 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-tottenham-hotspur.654/

Officials:

Referee: John Brooks
Assistant Referee: Neil Davies
Assistant Referee: Matthew Wilkes
Fourth Official: Jarred Gillett

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 19.12.07.png

Obviously Spurs will be confident no matter which team they select.

I can imagine both teams will rotate a lot.

Spurs just had Chelsea and then have Wolves away, and with 4th spot up for grabs I can't see them wanting to jeopardize that with a full strength XI against us.

So the talk of how to stop Kane, well, I think he will be a second half sub if needed. But Son, perhaps surprisingly for an outsider looking in, didn't start on Sunday so you'd think he would this time and he has scored against us before. Might see Moura as well. They seem to have a bunch of similarly skilled defenders they can rotate around though are short in the middle of the park so it will be interesting again if they are prepared to go with inexperience here. Maybe Sarr starts and Hjolberg gets rested? In goal you wonder if they would risk Forster and give a rare start to a young keeper.

For us, were also hard to predict for similar reasons.

Davies would be a cert to start. We've been fair to him giving him the cup games.

Back three minus Egan and with Anel suspended for the league will be Anel + two from Clark, Robinson, Basham, depending on the illness suffered by the former. He would be the ideal Egan deputy.

Wingback will be an equal toss up. Bogle, we might fancy as a weapon against them and that may indicate we give more time to Baldock and he could play against Blackburn. On the left, Osborn did well against Sarr as Lowe struggled. Toss of a coin stuff again.

We don't seem to like to rest Norwood as perhaps the pattern of play gets interrupted so much without him.

But alongside him could be anyone's guess. You could pick McAtee, Doyle, Berge, Coulibaly and Fleck all in a hat and you'll probably be as accurate guessing!

You'd think Jebbison will get a start and perhaps McBurnie a rest. Then it is a question if we would go 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-2 or if we want to unleash Ndiaye against Spurs and play more of a 3-5-1-1 or 3-4-3.

Hecky usually rotates about half the outfield in these games so let's see what he comes up with.

A difficult game to predict given the obvious question marks over both teams' starting line ups.

FWIW I think we'll probably go with something like this:

Davies
Anel Clark Robinson
Bogle Berge Norwood McAtee Lowe
Ndiaye Jebbison

Fleck, McBurnie, Egan, Foderingham and possibly Baldock/Osborn and Doyle considered for the weekend. Billy probably the first sub in each game and Coulibaly to get some minutes in the Cup.

We don't want to be embarrassed and the cup line ups are often stronger than we'd expect.

Last edited:
With Egan out and Clark probably not going to be fully recovered in time I'm going to say..

GK Davies

back 3 of Gordon Anel Robinson

WB's of Bogle and Osborn

Midfield of Doyle, Coulibaly, Fleck

Mcatee

Jebbo

Spurs just had Chelsea and then have Wolves away, and with 4th spot up for grabs I can't see them wanting to jeopardize that with a full strength XI against us.

So the talk of how to stop Kane, well, I think he will be a second half sub if needed. But Son, perhaps surprisingly for an outsider looking in, didn't start on Sunday so you'd think he would this time and he has scored against us before. Might see Moura as well. They seem to have a bunch of similarly skilled defenders they can rotate around though are short in the middle of the park so it will be interesting again if they are prepared to go with inexperience here. Maybe Sarr starts and Hjolberg gets rested? In goal you wonder if they would risk Forster and give a rare start to a young keeper.

Davies would be a cert to start. We've been fair to him giving him the cup games.

Back three minus Egan and with Anel suspended for the league will be Anel + two from Clark, Robinson, Basham, depending on the illness suffered by the former. He would be the ideal Egan deputy.

Wingback will be an equal toss up. Bogle, we might fancy as a weapon against them and that may indicate we give more time to Baldock and he could play against Blackburn. On the left, Osborn did well against Sarr as Lowe struggled. Toss of a coin stuff again.

We don't seem to like to rest Norwood as perhaps the pattern of play gets interrupted so much without him.

But alongside him could be anyone's guess. You could pick McAtee, Doyle, Berge, Coulibaly and Fleck all in a hat and you'll probably be as accurate guessing!

You'd think Jebbison will get a start and perhaps McBurnie a rest. Then it is a question if we would go 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-2 or if we want to unleash Ndiaye against Spurs and play more of a 3-5-1-1 or 3-4-3.

Hecky usually rotates about half the outfield in these games so let's see what he comes up with.

A difficult game to predict given the obvious question marks over both teams' starting line ups.

Davies
Anel Clark Robinson
Ndiaye Jebbison

Fleck, McBurnie, Egan, Foderingham and possibly Baldock/Osborn and Doyle considered for the weekend. Billy probably the first sub in each game and Coulibaly to get some minutes in the Cup.

We don't want to be embarrassed and the cup line ups are often stronger than we'd expect.
i think youve got it spot on there champers thats exactly the team i think hecky will pick just think he might play nidaye in a slightly deeper role behind jebbo but i think weve a bigger chance in this tie than most pundits are predicting loris romero kane and kulisevski will all be on the bench for spurs imo

its a weird one this, because i was alot more fired up for Wrexham than spurs but then as we know the multiple reasons embarrassment, anger over being overlooked, personal pride & spurs coming to the lane. of course it would still be brilliant victory if we pull it off but im not as desperate as wrexham id just like a great performance like 2015 regardless of result. but if not we've still got 13 cup finals to come afterwards.

But Tottenham are beatable as the premier league is having its down year like 2015, really its only the top 3 that are playing to the standard you get expect of the big teams. id only put spurs slightly above Chelsea & Liverpool, they hardly blew Portsmouth or Preston Away the 1st halves of both were shocking, that might be our opportunity & like any cup game you get the 1st goal anything could happen.

but heres a stat if we do win, that would be our 5th domestic Quarter Final in 10 years & 8th Quarter Final in the last 20 years. bar the 🦉 🐷 i dont know how that ranks to other non top PL 6 sides but im that would be an incredible achievement for a club like us. as in comparison the dark side havent made a FA Cup quarter final since 96/97, when David Hopkin was big. for the same achievement of 8 FA/League cup Quarter finals they have to go back to 1987

Davies
Anel Clark Robinson
Ndiaye Jebbison

That midfield is dreadful, even in the league. Spurs would smash us. Osborn/Couilbaly/Fleck/Doyle/Norwood two of them have to start in CM

This would be my team, depending on fitness.

..................Davies....................
........,,,Anel....Clark...JLT..........
Baldock............................Ozzy
...........Coulibaly.....Fleck..........
.....................McAtee................
...............Jebbo.....Sharp..........

Bench:
Wes
Bash
Sachdev
Lowe or Stevens (if fit)
Doyle
Brooks
McB

If Clark is still unwell, play Anel at CB and go with Bash at RCB
If Baldcock isn't ready, then play Bogle (although I would rather rest him)

looking like only about 300 tickets left mind think we only had 24k to sell good turnout though despite the ticket prices both teams will rest players to the bench

Last time we played Spurs in the FA cup !
1957 and I was 10 ! We won 3-0 at White Hart Lane. Highlites were on tele that night .we were a 2nd division team and the great Blades defence of the late 50s and early 60s was in the making.
Hodgy , Cec, G Shaw ,Richardson, The great J Shaw, Summers, not sure if they lined up that way on day .I think we lost in the 5th round to WBA.
The highlights showed the Spurs pitch was a real mud heap and that mud larger Willi Hodgson had a blinder he just lived those kind of pitches only a pint size guy but full of drive and energy.Since I was only 10 things are a bit vague ! Just watching the highlights was something special as football was a rarity in those days.
I imagine Joe will have memories of this match .
We had a number of good cup runs at that time even playing pigs in 1960 we lost that one 2-0 at Bramall lane,60, 000 there for that game

1957 and I was 10 ! We won 3-0 at White Hart Lane. Highlites were on tele that night .we were a 2nd division team and the great Blades defence of the late 50s and early 60s was in the making.
Hodgy , Cec, G Shaw ,Richardson, The great J Shaw, Summers, not sure if they lined up that way on day .I think we lost in the 5th round to WBA.
The highlights showed the Spurs pitch was a real mud heap and that mud larger Willi Hodgson had a blinder he just lived those kind of pitches only a pint size guy but full of drive and energy.Since I was only 10 things are a bit vague ! Just watching the highlights was something special as football was a rarity in those days.
We had a number of good cup runs at that time even playing pigs in 1960 we lost that one 2-0 at Bramall lane,60, 000 there for that game
3-0 win at Spurs was in 1958

wasnt at that quarter final with wednesday at the lane but me dad was united had 70% of the possesion wednesday had 2 shots all game and scored both derek wilkinson 🤨

Well them Leeds chumps let me down for the "all" United's Wembley final,so it will have to be one of the others thats left in like Man U.

Looking at it already, you can almost bet when they are pulling the balls out for the draw that the Man U and Man City ones will have been in the freezer for an hour to help them avoid being drawn together!

With due respect to us, a favourable draw and it is a good chance for Spurs.

Probably heat up the Burnley and Blackburn balls to make sure the two Manc teams get an easy passage while they line up a South coast and London games to do for two other Prem teams and with them being derbies, increase the chances of the lower team going through.

I woke up this morning not overly optimistic on this tie. I just think we've got a little much going on.

I'd kidded myself that Spurs having Chelsea and Wolves would help us but then we got given a 1230 kick off at Blackburn on Saturday who will have 24 hours more rest.

They can still rotate a bit and do for us and Wolves, especially with no extra time. Just have a nagging doubt if they really want to risk Kane as a starter.

Hopefully we'll put up a good showing either way but not going all Charlie Big Potato's like the Wrexham fans.

Back
Top Bottom