Sheffield United Transformation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not suggesting any club is a forever destination club but many clubs are where are player is happy to stay and extend when it’s going well.

In our current state even with PL promotion our best players saw it as more desirable to get out rather than stay and negotiate a new deal, probably because they don’t see us as a long term PL club.

If we can hang on this season and do a Brentford, Villa et Al transformation our better players will see it as desirable to stay and extend their contracts unless we can sell at a premium. At the moment we have to take what we can get, prime example is Maguire step, step £80m worlds highest defender fee.
Even being on the premier league wouldn't make us a destination club. World class training set up, world class city, world class stadium and European football would. All of that is unlikely in the short term!

It shows how divisive things have gotten when someone will claim this is the most hopeful they've been at the start of a season. We have had huge turnovers of players before (Wilder in league 1).

You can't say it's the best. Signing young players with potential can go either way. Signing Che Adams from non league paid of fantastically, signing Brewster from Liverpool hasn't.

There has been absolutely zero evidence that any of our signings will be successful, especially in league we are in because we've not played a game yet.

You may not like the negativity that's been around recently, but this is just silliness. A reasonable positive perspective would be that there is hope that some of our cheap signings can make the massive step up and keep us up, despite having weakened the squad around them by selling our best players. Not that it's been an amazing window managed fantastically well by our genius owner.
Bet you're a blast at parties?!

It has been a flipped pre season from what we usually get with The Blades, usually we get the good news that is followed by the “self delivered Sheffield United kick in the bollocks” just as the season get underway.

This time we got the kick in first, in fact this time we kicked our selves in the bollocks twice with the sales of Ndiaye and Berge before the equivalent of having Jennifer Lawrence come and kiss them better by signing Hamer.

Add Doyle and Archer and that would be like her bringing Scarlett Johannson and Emma Watson with her.

Last edited:
Is it just me that sees Hamer as the Ndiaye replacement and Souza as the Berge replacement?
The McAtee role could be taken by Slimani.
Doyle is one we haven't really covered for yet.
It's going to be a couple of weeks before we're all pulling together (tug of war analogy excellent here).
Definitely. Ndiaye was originally in the Hamer position until PH pushed him more into a striker role. Nailed on, Hamer is the replacement and a very good one too.

As we stand

Wes (NEW)
Anel, Egan, trusty
Baldock, Sousa, NEW (Norwood ? ) , NEW (Larouci)
Slimane, traore (MCB) , Hamer

Said it on other threads, we need to use this opportunity (if we stay up) to transition away from a career stepping stone club to a destiny club. This type of signing (and others like Trusty, Slimane et Al) are making us look more attractive, we’re not tying our own hands behind our back and are fishing in a worldwide pool of talent not just in a UK pool anymore.

This is step 1. Another experienced proven player in and we will start to look like an attractive club for the higher rated players to consider a move to SUFC.
Good points
But I always saw us as a Sander stepping stone
I’ve no problem selling him now & we seem to have upgraded with Hammer time
And Trusty is a younger/ better player than JLT
But as I said good points

Got a feeling the whole team will be deep this season.

Can’t let teams run through us like stuttgart did.

We need goal scorer and a left mid
I see him being moved into the Ndiaye position. Agree though that even he would’ve had to come deep against most oppo.

Hi Stegosaurus here

More needs to be done--we need a GK, a LWB, a backup CB (To push Robinson down the pecking order because he's gash), another striker, a RWB as backup to Baldork.

It has been a flipped pre season from what we usually get with The Blades, usually we get the good news that is followed by the “self delivered Sheffield United kick in the bollocks” just as the season get underway.

This time we got the kick in first, in fact this time we kicked our selves in the bollocks twice with the sales of Ndiaye and Berge before the equivalent of having Jennifer Lawrence come and kiss them better by signing Hamer.

Add Doyle and Archer and that would be like her bringing Scarlett Johannson and Emma Watson with her.

Stop it with yer sexy talk - I'm already strutting round with me new shirt on - how much can these people take?!

let’s start with the positives :

Hamer is possibly THE if not one of the best signings we could have wished to have made.

All the other signings are young and full of potential.

But let’s be sensible:

We lost our best and the championship stand out player from last season (not yet replaced)

We lost a very good midfielder in Berge (Replaced with Souza & Hamer)

We are still very low on numbers and quality in the starting 11 especially up top.

So while we have been given optimism the above signings still need to be followed up with some real talent in those positions otherwise we will still struggle.

Right now we are still looking at bottom three.

I am sure the board are aware of this and are making moves be it permanents or loans.
Usually all promoted clubs, unless hey have huge financial clout, are considered to be relegation favourites. Why should we be any different?

What we have done thus far is really impressive.

I know being positive goes against the grain for many.

Ndiaye and Berge going we’re not the fault of he Prince, the board, etc.

Getting the players on longer contracts is great with hindsight, especially when they are as good as Ndiaye but if, like Berge, you have no intention of staying, sometime it would be more balanced to blame the players.

Not so great getting players on long contracts when they aren’t that good.

Let’s hope we learn that with our latest crop of young players.

Even being on the premier league wouldn't make us a destination club. World class training set up, world class city, world class stadium and European football would. All of that is unlikely in the short term!
Don’t forget - ´an airport’!!!

let’s start with the positives :

Hamer is possibly THE if not one of the best signings we could have wished to have made.

All the other signings are young and full of potential.

But let’s be sensible:

We lost our best and the championship stand out player from last season (not yet replaced)

We lost a very good midfielder in Berge (Replaced with Souza & Hamer)

We are still very low on numbers and quality in the starting 11 especially up top.

So while we have been given optimism the above signings still need to be followed up with some real talent in those positions otherwise we will still struggle.

Right now we are still looking at bottom three.

I am sure the board are aware of this and are making moves be it permanents or loans.
Unfortunately, we are not blessed with unlimited wealth. If the club is to survive, we must be wary of reckless spending in search of Nirvana.

I am expecting a total of 3 arrivals. Any more expenditure would endanger the club. Two of those arrivals will be quality loans.

Work it out for yourselves, if you belong in the same time zone as reality.

This must be the biggest single transformation of our club ever .

The Prince & Hecky together with his backroom staff look to have completed the best transformation with the lowest budget of a Premier League club.
We looked at times as though we were lurching into a meltdown with the Mauris & Dozy take-overs, but the Prince pulled back from the Abys & looks to have pulled off some fantastic financial transfers, Aided by Illy initialy but then by calling Berge 's Bluff)

I can't remember a better more hopeful / sensibly funded start to a season in my 60 years of supporting the Blades.

We normally talk about waiting to see where we are after 10 games. In this instance it may well be 14/15 games , as we need to blend all these new exciting players in, with 2 loans to come.

Wow

COYRAWW
Evolution, i think it's something we will see in the next few years. Perhaps not as dramatic as the last week with losing Ndiaye and Berge, but with younger players coming in and players being sold when they have reached a certain value

Back
Top Bottom