Sheffield United Season Review / School Report 22-23 - Part 5: Midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
2022/23 SUFC SEASON REVIEW / SCHOOL REPORT

Midfielders

Oliver Norwood had a real renaissance to end the last season and I thought carried it on and then some to start this season. Up to Xmas thought along with Ndiaye and Ahmedhodzic, he was our most consistent player and our key man maybe even with the talents of those two I have mentioned. He had been up and down for a few seasons and looked leggy and his passing/contribution was not what it was but he had finished better when Hecky came in and played well. This season he just took this on and seemed to be like the Norwood of old. As we saw teams off with some comprehensive wins/performances home and away in Aug/Sept as we were right near the top, he was the fulcrum and the man controlling midfield. Moving it about short and long, he dominated midfield and was superb in a number of games. Got quite a few assists from set plays and general play and scored the brilliant free kick against Blackburn at the Lane and the late goal in the draw with Blackpool. I also recall him being absolutely superb in the 5-2 win against his home town team Burnley. To me looked the best central midfielder in the league and punched this opinion loud and clear as we routed the league leaders. Was a regular every week and quite consistent – I think even in some of the drop off games he was still one our better players.

I am not sure he quite maintained his excellent form and as we entered the final few months, he had some leggy showings where we worryingly got run through as the midfield did not look as secure (Blackburn, Boro and Millwall defeats) and I thought he was off it for a spell of games not having as much as the ball and more wasteful when he did have it. We made the decision to take him out a few games after the Luton defeat but then as Doyle did well in his ‘role’, we kept with it and he was on the bench. I hoped this would invigorate him and give him a break to come and finish the season strong as with the number of games I thought he would play a fair bit still but he struggled in a difficult night at Turf Moor where we had 10 men. He remained a sub/less involved although played at Wembley and did ok until he tired but Doyle deservedly kept his place.

Overall, a good season – he started very well and was a key man for two thirds and whilst he did not quite maintain his form and ended up out of the team – he has been a really key player for us. He has picked up too many daft fouls and yellow cards again although has curbed it and stopped him getting banned after at one point it seemed inevitable. One thing he does seem to have a habit of doing which has been picked up is him sometimes following through on players (Bristol City away and Burnley away two that I recall) in tackles and he has escaped censure. He often wins the ball and whilst some may say where does his leg go – he makes this sort of ugly high follow through as he completes his tackle and in the Premier League, he would have been sent off twice.

He is out of contract but think we have an option and despite him having that drop off and overall, not being as consistent the last few years, he still has shown enough to get another year or two. He has never been quick anyway and actually his defensive stats show he often makes rather surprisingly the greatest number of recoveries/tackles/blocks for a midfielder at this level. Been a great pro for us and another that at this level at the least, is very good and someone we forget how lucky we are to have. He has had a great career here and will be around next season you think – even if not always being a regular – especially if Doyle remains.

Grade B (Last season B)

John Fleck
Another that has had an up and down spell since covid after being at the absolute height of his form pre the pandemic. Struggled to finish the 19-20 season and this carried on in the disastrous relegation season of 20-21 but still was named in the Scotland squad for the Euros before getting covid summing up a frustrating period.

As we started life back in the Championship, he was still pretty much a regular but played more under Hecky than Slav but of course collapsed in Jokanovic’s final game at Reading and was out for a period after that as his health was a big concern. He came back and had a mixed time with some decent showings and some where he struggled and his fitness was still a concern as he picked up a number of injuries. However, he was superb in the game at the City Ground and looked like the Fleck of old brining some hope he could get back to the levels of before.

This continued into this season – he started the first few games but not sure he was that convincing and ended up out of the side as Doyle and then latterly McAtee were used more for a run of games. He got another injury and was out for a significant stretch of games and did not come back till the Norwich home game but he had a run of games before getting another injury – away at Rotherham. He was out again for another period but came back and did ok v Watford, reminding us what he could offer in this area after we had struggled for a spell in midfield. He was poor against Blackburn and Luton in the league and then with Norwood, Berge, McAtee and Doyle all being ahead of him was mainly used as a sub. Hecky said he was doing well in training and finally back to fitness and we saw him back involved a few sub appearances he was ok mixed in with being poor at home to Cardiff. He played ok against an amazing City side.

I thought it was another frustrating season and he missed even more games than the previous one where of course he had the health scare and some knocks. He has only started 13 games I think in the league this season and although has been used a lot off the bench; he has never been a starter consistently and fitness was a major issue as was consistency. Great to see him get a goal in the final home game of the season and he finished with more minutes at the end.

32 as the next season starts, he seems to have been around forever but you forget that him and Norwood still have significant time left in their career. However, much of his game seemed to be based on those bursts of energy, lung busting runs and nipping in and helping those intricate triangles down the left. We do not see this very often now and he may have to almost re-invent himself now in order to keep playing at Championship level or higher. I think a team at this level will take a chance on him but he needs to get himself fit and maybe revitalise himself as now he is quite an average player at this level after being before exceptional. Maybe he has not quite looked after himself like others (see Basham) and the niggling injuries and maybe his body shape shows that – as harsh as it sounds. I do not see him remaining with his contract up and feel like with Stevens (and McGoldrick last season) it is absolutely the right thing to release him and let him find another club. Hecky says he wants to keep everyone but not sure that should be the case. He is another that has been superb for the Blades and will always be thought of so highly. His drop off the last few years may be something we immediately recall but he has still contributed at times and what a player he was for the 3 or 4 season as we surged up the leagues. I remember some of the big games and moments (SWFC 4-2 away and that free kick) and how he was superb in games at the top level – scoring and dominating midfields against Burnley, Villa and Arsenal (away). For this period, one of the best midfielders I have seen at the Lane in terms of what he did – getting up and down, scoring goals, tackling, running and linking play. His combinations with Coutts and Duffy and then Norwood and Duffy and Norwood and Lundstram were a feature of our success and you sometimes forget for 4 seasons he was the one constant in that trio.

Grade C- (Last season C)

Tommy Doyle had emerged through the City academy and had seen some game time in the League Cup before he was allowed to go on loan. He struggled to make much of an impact at Hamburg and came back to City but did well when he joined Cardiff in January 2022 and played 19 times, scoring twice. He did well in the game at the Lane and looked an energetic, box to box, ball playing midfielder. I was pleased when we signed him on a season long loan as felt we needed this type of player with Norwood, Fleck and Berge having qualities but that he may offer some things we did not have in the squad.

He had a knock and was involved to start the season but then after a brief sub appearance v Blackburn came on for his club mate McAtee after his hapless performance at Kenilworth Road and played the entire 2nd half (and was involved in the equaliser). He then played against Reading in his first start and played really well. He remained in the side for a period with McAtee not convincing yet and injury issues for Fleck and then Berge soon to hit the treatment table too. Thought he looked very decent. Good on the ball and got around the pitch. He took a good corner/set play. The only issues seemed to be at times he would switch off a bit defensively and he also did not look much of a goal threat. He also struggled to last games but maybe he needed time to build up his match sharpness?

I do recall some good games like Birmingham at home and then was very good at West Brom too and set up the opener with a delightful ball. He then was out for a spell with a calf strain as the injury issues that seemed to hit most players at some point, inflicted him. He was back in the side at Wigan off the bench and then came on and scored his first goal – a well taken first time strike at the Kop end to seal the victory against Coventry on Boxing Day. He started against QPR but was awful before being back on the bench but played well against Hull at home and then featured at Wrexham. He then got another injury and was out for another period before returning at Millwall where he scored a free kick but he was not convincing here and his patchy form continued in the same way United’s did in the next month. He had not quite got to the standards he started the season but then we made a tweak to the side and he started in central midfield rather than wide of Norwood and the veteran was taken out in place of the Man City loanee. This extra responsibility and position seemed to allow him to thrive and he became more involved in games than he ever had before. He got on the ball, worked hard, made tackles and looked very inch a top midfielder. He scored a free kick at Sunderland and then an absolute stunner to win the cup quarter final v Blackburn – a goal that will be remembered for years. He continued in this position and with our form taking an upturn, we kept with this for a period of games. Continued to grow and become a key part of the side with some real wholehearted games showcasing his ability on the ball too. He played right back in the final game for a spell and looked so versatile. A proper old-style footballer that runs, competes, can run with it, pass and shoot.

A player that took his time to get in but then did well and looked impressive but had a few injuries and then took a while to find his feet again. The change of position and him being more involved helped him grow.

As for what happens next for him and United with him, I would like to sign him as feel he is a player that can better. Good on the ball, moves around well and likes to get stuck in. Takes a set play too. He looks to have everything you would want in a midfielder and think he could go on and be a top player. Would City sell? I think they might (we may need them to have a substantial sell on or buy back) but not sure loaning him out does him, us or them any favour now? He has had 3 loans now and is 22 soon so needs to be playing. Not sure how much they would want (10 million?) or if we could afford him but I would definitely like to see him back if we can make it happen.

Grade B+ (Last season NA)

Sander Berge Berge was a player who I felt had a really strong end to last season on the whole. He had some excellent performances playing in that wide attacking right position and when he linked with Gibbs White, Bogle and Ndiaye, we looked fantastic going forward down the right.

There has always been discussion on his best position with some saying he is more a central midfielder and a creator who could/should sit in front of the defence but I have always thought that whilst he is a good passer/footballer, his best assets are his ability to drive at defenders and make things happen. His size and ability to carry the ball frightens defences at this level. He showed this to close the last season. Once again, he was linked with other sides with Napoli/Milan emerging and some Premier League clubs but he remained once again through two windows although it seems Fulham and Newcastle were really close and he was left out of the Wrexham cup game and right up the final day, we thought he may move on – to mixed reviews.

His season seemed stop-start again with a disappointing start at Watford but then he was excellent for a run scoring in games against Millwall and Boro and looked very good in the run of games where we blew some teams away. I gave him 8/10 in a number of these wins in August/Sept. He scored at Hull with another goal where he just sort of cruised past helpless defenders and did the same at Preston setting up a clinching goal for McBurnie. He then had a few so-so games before picking up an injury at home to QPR when he may have actually been fouled for a penalty as he drove into the box. This ended up being quite a nasty injury and was out right until after the World Cup break. He eventually got back into the side as went on a decent run but I cannot recall him being outstanding and we were winning games due to a solid defence and moments of quality from Ndiaye and McAtee rather than him as he did not score/set up other than a beautiful goal against Swansea

After the transfer speculation he was brought back into the fold and was outstanding in the cup replay albeit against a non-league side and scored a lovely goal. However, I do recall him doing little in big games v the promotion rivals such as Boro, Millwall, Blackburn and Luton. He then ended up taking more of a central role as Doyle was brought in for Norwood and he improved for a spell seeing more of the ball in this withdrawn role, despite my words above about where we can get the best out of him. He was solid as we picked up form again for a spell and even showed a grittier side to his game in patches of games. He was good in some of the home games to finish the season and played well at Wembley. His best performance of the season was against West Brom where he looked superb and every inch the player we thought we had signed as he ran the show and showed power, pace, passing and then also a vital goal. Finished the season really strongly.

I think it is fair to say we have seen the best and worst of him this season and that statement alone probably shows what kind of season he has. Frustrating but he did finish strong. He has had some injuries and struggled to get a long run of games but not sure he has been consistency enough. We have seen some good games and flashes of brilliance and opposition mangers/fans often rave about him, but as someone who sees him every week – we have to say he flatters to deceive a lot but then he pulls a game out where you think, ‘wow!’

Yes, he is a technically sound player who can pass it/keep it and at times glides past men but we do not see enough of all these positive traits and at times games pass him by. I do wonder whether he will go on and be the top, top player at a high level that some think he might do? I have often said he lacks the desire but maybe we just have to accept he is what he is. He is never going to thrust into tackles or run around crazily but will always exert minimum energy seemingly? However, I do get so frustrated with him as he can be unplayable at times. I do not expect him to just power past man every time he gets it or even completely dominate midfields/the ball – but I do expect him to do it much more than he does. Sometimes we do not even see this once a game let alone a few times? His body language and overall persona suggest he is a confidence player but at this level he should dominate as he is better than most/all at this level. Seems a really nice lad and someone who I think most are desperate to go on and be a Blades legend but the nagging feeling is, even at Premier League level – is he going to be good enough consistently? I think if we got say 20 million (be a stretch now with only a year left of his contract) we would be quite content if we could bring in 2 other players in the middle of the field with the money brought in. He clearly could go on and do well but has to up it considerably and change his mindset somewhat. However, I sense he will stay for now and one of the players we will look to step up and be able to cope but we need more of those good performances regularly and he has to be involved in games and not let things drift by. I hope he is around to start the season with us even if you sense he may move on when his contract ends – like with Ndiaye you hope we can have a season to help us stay up and then fine if he gets a good move to a higher placed club. Lovely to see him smiling so much as the end as Covid was awful after he came and to be part of the scenes of promotion was great as he seems a great lad.

Grade B- (Last season B-)

Ben Osborn
I was a bit surprised we brought him back as feel when we saw more of him last season Osborn showed he could play lots of positions but we clearly had a downgrade whenever he played in any of them as harsh as that seems. Never really convinced in terms of being a starter I have felt whether it be left wing back or midfield although does better I always feels in the former. I suppose as a plug in, back up he is ok but if he is playing too many games I would be concerned. He has played 10 games as a starter and 10 games as a sub in variety of positions. Most of his starts came around the Autumn period. He had some ok games but mostly was anonymous and did not offer too much other than someone who would put a graft in. Scored a decent goal at home to Norwich and did play a few games before the World Cup and suppose did a job but you always thought he only in due to others being out injured.

After Xmas he played in the cup games v Wrexham and Spurs but only started one league game at Rotherham as players like Lowe and Fleck came back and we had more options in midfield. Another who picked up a few injuries over the season having a few periods out and seemed to get a hamstring injury like many others before there was the rumours (which were pretty much confirmed by the club) that he had an accident whilst on holiday (stag do apparently) falling and hitting his head. Not a great moment or look for one of our so called more intelligent players and at a crucial time of the season. Quite unprofessional and I am sure the club were not happy with him. Yes, things can happen but we needed everyone available. We did not see him again in terms of team selection.

You do think whether this moment will factor into the thinking for him when we are considering a new contract. For me he has not been available enough and when he is not sure he offers anything that a youngster or emerging player that could improve could offer and feel his United journey will end this summer after 4 seasons. He has never hugely let us down but never really been much of a gamer changer either. A steady lad to have around and seems a smashing guy but lacks the quality really for us if we are playing at the higher levels.

Grade C- (Last season C)

James McAtee A number of clubs were linked with him last summer, with Premier League and some European giants allegedly looking to take him. McAtee is the younger brother of Grimsby Town striker John McAtee and both their father, paternal grandfather and great-uncles played rugby league professionally and the football players and managers Alan Ball Sr. and Alan Ball Jr. (the Alan Ball that won the World Cup!) are their maternal great-grandfather and great-uncle respectively. After we brought Doyle in, Pep entrusted us with taking his teammate too and he came on a season long loan. Highlights of the 19-year-old dubbed the ‘Salford Silva’ in the Premier League reserve games clearly showed a precocious talent that could dribble, assist and score but he had never played any professional games and did seem raw/small in build which was a concern maybe at Championship level. Not sure anyone thought he would be a regular every week but the one thing United have lacked is match winners and with Gibbs White going back and Ndiaye still only a season into his professional career, on the face of it, he seemed to give us something we did not have. His position was a little uncertain with some claiming he was a striker, another an out and out midfielder and then some saying he could/would play wide. I think as the season progressed; we realised his best role is a number 10/attacking midfielder who can play down both sides – better possibly down the left where he can come inside.

The season started with him being on the bench but got his first start v Sunderland and showed glimpses and contributed to Neil being sent off for Sunderland with a good run forward. He was back on the bench for the next game as we were clearly blooding him slowly. He started at Luton and had a nightmare, nearly getting sent off but generally getting shoved off the ball, giving it away and physically looking like a little boy in a man’s game. It was a real struggle and many (including myself) wondered if he was ready for this level. He was in and out for a period but we did see some of the dribbling and positive play that attracted us to signing him. This was mixed in with him struggling still with the physical aspects of the Championship. He scored his first goal against Blackpool in that crazy 3-3 draw and set up Brewster for a goal at Stoke but he was never a regular as we used other players in the middle. He was brought on and taken off at Coventry and again whispers emerged if it was another loan (along with Khadra and Clark) that was a bit of a waste.

I think one of the big turning points was a game at Cardiff just before the break when he came on and was excellent in a win. He then ended up getting a lot more game time and started a lot more games. He scored an excellently taken goal at home to Coventry and then an even better individual goal at Blackpool- which was a superb goal as he ran all the way from half way to cooly convert. He quickly was becoming a key man as his performances got better and better with his running with the ball, close control and ability to manipulate opportunities for himself and others. He started to get stronger fitness wise and was lasting longer in games. He along with Ndiaye and Berge, provided us the players that meant we could score those goals from individual ability and then just be solid defensively and see out games.

He was still not in every game but when he was taken out, he often improved us when he came on – like at Millwall with another cool finish. He did at times miss chances with a series of poor misses (Blackburn in the cup x 3!) but his growing confidence was clear as he looked so comfortable with the ball and would allow us to move thought teams on the break – an aspect of our play we have not seen as much but with a number of players who could do this – we became a different offensive animal. He scored two vital winners at Sunderland and Norwich in two consecutive games – both different types of goals – one another lovely curled finish and another more instinctive but proved he could get in the box and was often looking to score goals or get on the end of things – a real quality for a midfielder. He then came off the bench and scored a huge goal against Bristol City but of course could not play against Manchester City. Came back and showed his running and skills against West Brom. The fact he scored 8 and assisted 3 shows his ability to do it around the box where it matters.

He has still and will still be involved in the England u21’s for some time and we saw him against Germany briefly at the Lane. I think City like him and think he has a chance but with some already having so many good youngsters like Lewis, Palmer and Delap, know they will not be able to offer him much game time outside of the odd cup appearance. I think Pep would like him back on loan again and probably with us at the highest level but then would we use up another loan on him and not sure he would see much of the ball at the higher level – just unsure if it is a fit that works now, we have gone up – as good as he was in the second half of the season. I can see him going back on loan to the Championship for another year or maybe abroad so he can sample a different style of football and carry on his education. Not sure if he will make it at City’s high level but only young and certainly has the ability/skill to have a future in the game at a very good level.

Grade B (Last season NA)

Ismael Coulibaly
A player that we maybe thought we would never see at the Lane as he was on loan to Beerschot but someone we had never seen. A few years ago, and he was supposedly linked with Serie A sides and seen as a top prospect but after a few injuries and a relegation, his form dropped off and he was not even a regular over in Belgium. United had brought him in for training before the end of last season and saw enough to bring him over. With work permit issues maybe contributing to this, we decided to bring him over and he was plugged into the first team squad. He played a bit pre-season but then picked up a fairly serious injury and we saw nothing of him for a long time.

He finally made his Blades debut, at Millwall in the cup and played at Wrexham in the next round too before making his home bow in the replay versus the Welsh club. He played quite well, looking mobile and composed on the ball. His lack of fitness and conditioning was a factor and he had to come off around the hour mark but he got the start against Spurs and again did ok although missed a good chance. He was steady without being a real stand out. You sensed he would only be a bit part player but some argued maybe he could have been used more (instead of Fleck/Osborn when they were not offering much around Feb-March time). He was not even on the bench for a period due to the squad depth and you must wonder if Hecky had concerns whether he could count on him (discipline in terms of position, pace of Champ football and the overall intensity). He got some game time briefly against City.

I think he is out of contract and now we may see him move on after years of waiting and promise. The reality is I am not sure he is good enough to play regularly for us – he is only 22 but he has played abroad and had a taste of UK football – if United could extend him and loan him out maybe that would be the ideal scenario. Seems we have been waiting for him for ages and now he may end up departing anyway after only brief cameos!

Grade C (Last season NA)

Oliver Arblaster
I saw Arblaster for the u18’s last year and the U21’s when he was moved up to that rank and was always impressed. He was a neat and tidy player who got his foot in but could pass, shoot and do a bit of everything. Just always looked a very competent player and at the younger level stood out as he slowed the game down and made the right decisions. Recall seeing him play in the final at the end of the 21-22 season against Charlton and he was the best player on the pitch – that is against a number who are now first team players at the Valley (such as striker Miles Leaburn).

He was used with the first tea squad from the outset of pre-season and got his bow in the League Cup at West Brom starting. He came on at Hull and then at Stoke before making his home debut against Burnley in the 5-2 win right at the end of the game. He then he got a start at Cardiff – he did ok but was replaced at half time as we went more attacking. After this he picked up an illness and was not involved for a while and when he came back some of the more experienced players in midfield were back also. He was not involved in the match day squad as much and was back with the U21’s more. He was supposed to be going to Chesterfield on loan after Xmas but when we got some injuries, he remained but that is the next step for him you would think? A promising player, only 19, and someone the club has high hopes for.

Grade C (Last season NA)

Andre Brooks
is someone the club clearly likes as he has been in and around the first team squad in the last year and from the preseason this year, he, Sachdev and Arblaster have been the ‘newer’ ones pushed forward – alongside the previous youngsters involved such as Jebbison and Osula. He always looks to be an athletic player who can operate left side of midfield but also left wing back but could play further forward too.

Quick and a good touch, he got on the bench at Swansea and then had a few appearances in and around the squad. Made his debut in the win against Burnley right at the death and then he came on at Millwall in the cup and did the same against Wrexham at home. It was still a surprise when he got the start against Spurs – his first start in any competition. He did ok in this game and did not let anyone down as we had a lot of energy and legs in midfield that helped frustrate Spurs and laid the platform for the eventual win.

Still only 19, he is another that you would maybe like to see get some league games out on loan next season.

Grade C (Last season NA)

The rest

Zak Brunt
Brunt is now 21 and after featuring in a few league cup games last season, you thought he may made the most of loan spells but after doing quite well at Southend, was moved to a better placed team in Notts County. It did not really work and he was not able to become a regular there. This season he was given a loan at Boreham Wood but whilst these may not have the same status as maybe the two other non-league clubs he was at, he has played a lot more here. He has been a regular and proved he can play at this level as they advanced in the playoffs but lost out to Notts County at the death. I would be concerned that turning 22 this year he has not been able to really excel enough for a league club to take him on loan. That may seem harsh but three loans at National League is a long way off the next level. He was seen as such a talent as a youngster and had a circuitous route around for someone so young but you would worry if he is quite at the level to be even a regular at lower league level. Neat and tidy player but does he stand out at any one thing enough?

Harrison Neal
A 20-year-old midfielder, he had been around the U21’s for a while and had a spell on loan at Kettering to start last season before ending up at Southend. He got some really impressive reports and comments from his time there so it was not a shock when United gave him a loan at a higher ranked team in Barrow. Heckingbottom praised him last season and said that his sides always win the 5-a-side when he plays which was a big compliment. He has been a regular at Barrow and seems to have done ok there – got a few cards though! He is 22 mid-May though o not as young as some of the others we have put out on loan. Probably another he may need to get more league experience to see if he steps up to that higher level but unsure of his contract situation.

George Broadbent
A 21-year-midfielder, Broadbent came to us from Manchester United and had been a regular in the u18/23’s for a few seasons. He had a spell on loan at Curzon Ashton last season and then even went to Beerschot but only played a few times but was probably a good experience for him. Then he went to Rochdale in 2021-22 but struggled to hold down a first team slot and barely played at Spotland but did come back for the U21 playoff game. This season in a bid to get more games he went to Boreham Wood and did quite well and was a regular, playing alongside another Blades youth player, Zak Brunt as they went deep into the playoffs. He is out of contract and at 22 you sense he will move on.

Frankie Maguire
Born in Worksop he has been with United since he was 8 years old. A midfield player who gets up and down and has an eye for goal, he quickly moved into the U21’s and a few years ago he ended up being around the first team and made the squad for a handful of games. Got a few injuries including a long term one before ending up at Bradford Park Avenue and then this season joined Kettering in December and has earned rave reviews and scored some vital goals. Once again, a long way up from here as he in the 6th tier but is still only 19 – he broke through when he was 16-17 and so the club may wish to keep him and put him out on loan maybe at a higher-level next season?

Sydie Peck
Peck, like Will Lankshear, was surprisingly released by Arsenal as had been well thought of as he came through there but they did move on a number of players and United maybe took advantage. He had been on trial at Brighton and Cambridge as well as the Blades but chose to move to Shirecliffe. He impressed immediately with his classy ball skills and ability to take a free kick. He scored a fair few goals in the almost unbeatable academy side that dominated at the level they were at as they won the league and playoffs. Watched him carefully in the final and was pivotal to most things. Seemed to be a key man at u18’s and was starting to play in the U21’s regularly and ended up skipper. Him and Arblaster always seemed to dove tail well. Arblaster ended up in the first team squad, maybe slightly ahead of him but then Peck got a loan to Oldham around November and remained for two months. He impressed the former Blade player David Unsworth, who was in charge at Boundary Park. Oldham were struggling though and United opted to bring him back at the end of the January transfer window. He went back to the U21’s and ended up being a pivotal player again as the side won the league. Expect him at only 18 to go on loan, maybe a League Two side, as we continue his development with us.

Next season

Lots of questions here as Berge and Norwood (you would assume) remain but the loan lads’ futures are uncertain. Love Doyle back if we can get him, loan or permanent and you sense all parties want this if we can get it down. McAtee has done well but not sure he sees anywhere as much of the ball and with only two loans is it (at any one time and one from a single EPL club) it might be hard, especially if Doyle is not sold. The rest of the midfield needs upgrading as we are light here. Fleck and Osborn I sense will move on and his time is up, despite Hecky’s comments and not sure we have seen enough to suggest Coulibaly is ready. Others are very inexperienced.

We probably need 2 or 3 here – Berge and Doyle you might look at as starters but we would probably play a flatter three here – like last time with the lack of ball we have so you would want an experienced type in there. Bournemouth have had good legs/athleticism in there and a player like a Billing would be ideal. We need someone who can protect the defence but also get up and down. We also need creativity and goals in here so this is the area where you sense we need to focus on, as has not been properly upgraded for some time and we have relied on Fleck and Norwood for too long. I keep saying we need legs, power and some running in here but we have to address this now or we will get badly exposed in this area next season.

Player / Position
Years remaining (contract expires) Red this yearOrange next year Green longer contract –

Midfielders

Ben Osborn Out of contract (2023)

Ollie Norwood Out of contract (2023) – club option 1 year

John Fleck Out of contract (2023) – club option 1 year

Ismael Coulibaly Out of contract (2023) – club option 1 year

Sander Berge 1 year (2024)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out (contracts unknown if not stated)

Zak Brunt Out of contract (2023)

Harrison Neal Out of contract (2023)

George Broadbent Out of contract (2023)

Frankie Maguire Out of contract (2023)

Andre Brooks 1 year (2024)

Sydie Peck 1 year (2024)

Oliver Arblaster 2 years (2025)

Return to loan club:

Tommy Doyle to Man City

James McAtee to Man City

Release Fleck and Osborn
Keep Norwood 1 year deal
Coulibally, not sure, not seen enough of him, possibly release if not up to Championship level at least
Sell Berge in January if we look doomed

Norwoods form fell off a cliff in March after being one of our best performers at the start of the season. It wasn't just him being pressed out of the game but he seemed slower than usual when in possession and the hollywood balls out wide increased in number. PH decision to go with Doyle ensured promotion but thereafter every time he was on the pitch Norwoods performance got worse. Is he worth another year probably as back up to Doyle if we get him but we looked so much better without him at the back end of the season when we moved the ball quicker and brought Mcatee and Illi into the game. If we revert to the dreaded flat 3 then Norwood will have a role to play but it won't be easy on the eye.

As we have with JOC at LCB we desperately need a quality left footed midfield player to take over the reins from Fleck. Its not Osborn, never has been. The balance of the team looks so much better with left footers in the team. Berge will have a role to play but for continuity getting the 2 Man City loanees in back in some form is essential. A box to box player, physically strong who can break up play has always been on the shopping list, someone in the mould of Choudry would suffice.

The EPL is all about speed of thought when in possession of the ball, pace, energy and physicality in midfield. Players are comfortable receiving and passing the ball when they are being marked by the opposition. Sadly our current squad lack many of these attributes and I fear a return to the ultra negative flat 3 in too many games rather than the odd game against the likes of City.

Unfortunately due to financial constraints I fear we will go with more of the same and the likes of Osborn will get another year.

Back
Top Bottom