Sheffield United Reserves - The Glory Years

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yep I remember the early/mid 60s reserve games. I think the deal was that I was company for my Grandad while the women in the family went shopping. We'd meet them in the Rag and Tag market after the match and go to Davy's. I was hooked from 1964 onwards and saw players like Coldwell, Summers, Joe Shaw Maybe Barry Hartle and Graham Shaw etc , but can really remember if they were first team or reserve games. And yes the scoreboard guy. Happy Days

Yes, Silent you may be right about the above poster 'Stainless 'being Glyn Jones. I remember a centre forward by that name who was around in the late fifties and rarely played for the first team but was thought to have a future ,which didn't materialise. Don't think he was with us in the sixties though, so maybe not him. Also, the final game ,when we won the Central League title ,was against Stoke City .As someone above posted , Cec Coldwell was captain , and I have vivid memories as he and the team came towards the ,then, John Street stand (where the players used to enter the field then) to collect the trophy. The only thing we have won in my life time (and everybody else on here) . Have a total blank about winning it in the 2,000s.Not counting the County Cup).From memory I think the attendance was just over 4,000 and we won 2-0. May be wrong but I think Stoke could have won the title had they beaten us.

I have mentioned before that this is my 50th season watching the Blades so I thought I would put something together on where it all started, watching the reserves in the 1960’s. I realise that this is of limited interest but I am sure there are a few out there who were similarly dragged along by their dad to get them out of the house on a Saturday.
The reserves played at home, at the Lane, on Saturdays when the first team were playing away. I never understood why they scrapped this format. The only part of the ground that opened was the terrace and the old wooden stand behind, ideal for the 2-3000 that attended. Ideal for taking your offspring to their first game in a safe environment.
One of the great attractions was that the first team scores were displayed on a low-tech scoreboard attached to the old cricket pavilion. The man put the scores up every 15 minutes following a phone call to the away ground. There was no local radio, five live, internet, mobile phones and BBC national radio covered one match only. The scoreboard man was all powerful. I remember willing him to conjure up an equaliser in the 6th round tie at Leeds in 1968, but not to be. Five times he marched straight past Leeds early goal and our dreams were over for another year.
The team played in the central league and won it in 1965-66 with a fairly consistent line up. The mainstays of the team were Bob Widdowson in goal, Mick Heaton, Dennis Finnigan and Charlie Bell, with Jack Parks banging in the goals. All these players spent several seasons at the Lane with only a handful of first team appearances between them. Parks must have scored 30 goals in 1965-66 without making one first team appearance and gets no mention in the Official Blades Encyclopaedia.
Squads hadn’t been invented and substitutes were not used until 1965-66, both situations restricting the opportunities for the reserves. I suspect that a distinct lack of ambition was another restricting factor.
Lots of youngsters did make the first team though, notably Badger, Shaw, Munks, Wagstaff brothers, Fenoughty, Woodward, Birchenall, Salmons, Barlow, Jones and Hill. Testimony to the great scouting done by Archie Clark in this era in the Dearne Valley area.
Eventually I progressed to the first team and saw my last reserve game in 1971. A night match this time and the scoreboard man played an absolute blinder with a 1-0 win at Arsenal.
Happy days.
Only fault with those player was they all came through together with no experienced older player/s leading to relegation '67-'68. Shame really as there was plenty of skill and ability. Even the Busby Babes were inter dispersed with older players, maybe not much older ones but with much experience.

I was at Junior Blades at around 10 and we had to ball boy a few reserve game remember doing Leicester at home (home was Don Valley maybe around 96? Leicester scored and they played a fox noise over the public address.

I was at Junior Blades at around 10 and we had to ball boy a few reserve game remember doing Leicester at home (home was Don Valley maybe around 96? Leicester scored and they played a fox noise over the public address. Which when looking back is wierd because the only fox noise I’ve ever heard is that weird fucking noise they make

George and Bill Robinson passed away. Both were born in 1947 so they were too young for 1956- 58. Glyn Jones is my guess
Another candidate is Harry Priest. Played 2 league games in 1957, scored once, and left early 1958. He was a centre-forward. His only league goal was at West Ham, but it doesn't even get a mention in the programme for the following home game.

I remember Des Thompson, Ces Coldwell , do you remember Willie Hamilton? he was a wizard , I was a player for the reserves 1956 - 58 ,we played on Bramall Lane every other week , I was a centre forward, only managed to get a few 1st team appearances , great days
If you prefer to remain anonymous, please do. I would love to hear more of your experiences from your time at the Lane. I grew up watching the first team and the reserves there in the 50s.

Remember a very young Len Badger trapping a ball which came down with snow on it and the crowd voicing as one the thought that we'd "found one".

2 others I thought would make it but didn't--Jimmy House and Gary France.

One who sadly noone thought would- Steve Faulkner- ditto the late Mick Heaton. Did ok at Ewood though.
As a footnote to your post Jimmy House moved to Ireland and had a very good career with Waterford fc winning leagues and cups. Your right should have made it but a bit unlucky at the time I don't think subs were allowed or was it just one sub

Remember a very young Len Badger trapping a ball which came down with snow on it and the crowd voicing as one the thought that we'd "found one".

2 others I thought would make it but didn't--Jimmy House and Gary France.

One who sadly noone thought would- Steve Faulkner- ditto the late Mick Heaton. Did ok at Ewood though.

As a footnote to your post Jimmy House moved to Ireland and had a very good career with Waterford fc winning leagues and cups. Your right should have made it but a bit unlucky at the time I don't think subs were allowed or was it just one sub
With regards to Len trapping that ball, to this day if any Blades player comes anyway near achieving something like that, we all shout 'Lenny Boy'

Used to go to every game and was there when we won the Central League, joined in the pitch invasion and all. The great Cec Coldwell held up the trophy, maybe the only one we've won since I started in 1955!! Oh no, there was an odd County Cup or two!!

Our neighbour, Herbert Bray, used to give us a lift to reserve matches, and boy was he passionate. He particularly targeted referees and on the terrace in small crowds the officials could hear every word. One week at the final whistle he launched himself at the wire netting which protected the players as they left the pitch. His false teeth fell through the netting and fell at the feet of a linesman who passed them back politely. In his rage Mr Bray put them straight back in his mouth and resumed his tirade. Fond memories.

Another journeyman perpetual reserve was Dennis Shiels, Irish lad, not so good. Remember moaning one cup match at West Ham when his name was announced in the team. We were big underdogs but defied all the odds and Shiels scored both goals. Every dog has its day as they say.

Another name I associate with those days was Des Thompson, heavy, serious, not an athlete, holes in his jumper I seem t o recall.
Funny you should mention holes in Thomsons Jersey Woody ,I remember seeing them too.
The bramall lane end was opened for reserve games in those days and being close up the holes were visable.
I was also there when Dave Gaskill was accused of dropping his shorts in response to being attacked by fans behind the goal .I didnt actually see him do it but it brought a big response.
I did see Denis Shiels do something similar in a reserve game at the lane ,he was one of two Irish men who played regularly in the reserves the other was Harry Orr.
Neither got a real look in at 1st team level.

Funny you should mention holes in Thomsons Jersey Woody ,I remember seeing them too.
The bramall lane end was opened for reserve games in those days and being close up the holes were visable.
I was also there when Dave Gaskill was accused of dropping his shorts in response to being attacked by fans behind the goal .I didnt actually see him do it but it brought a big response.
I did see Denis Shiels do something similar in a reserve game at the lane ,he was one of two Irish men who played regularly in the reserves the other was Harry Orr.
Neither got a real look in at 1st team level.
Sounds a bit bad me saying he was attacked .wrong word I should have said barracked
Shiels got an unfair amount of barracking too he wasnt such a bad player either but some do get it in the neck dont they!.'

I was a regular at reserve games when they played at the Lane on alternate Saturday afternoons. Billy Punton was the skipper in those days. Can't remember much about the football, but I'll never forget the snowball and Bovril at half time!

If you prefer to remain anonymous, please do. I would love to hear more of your experiences from your time at the Lane. I grew up watching the first team and the reserves there in the 50s.
Harry ( Mick ) Priest , great days unfortunately did nt make the grade , a few 1st team games , county cup , friendlies but only 2 league games pulled a thigh muscle at West Ham out for several weeks never got back in . It was a really great time , Willie Hamilton was just starting what a player , i remember 1 reserve match at the Lane against Newcastle Jimmy Scohlar ( hard man scottish internatioal) when we went in at half time Willie said to Fred White , that man i'm up against ,just said to me " if you make me look a **** again i'm going to break both your legs" , it didn't deter Willie he ran him into the ground and we won 3-1

Something that people today might not be able to comprehend is that at that time the Reserves meant literally that. No squad rotation and large squads in those days, and no subs on the bench , we had 11 first team players & 11 reserves. if the first team centre forward got injured , then the reserve team centre forward simply took his place! Each player in the reserves was a like for like deputy for the first 11. But some hardly ever or never got a chance . I remember Roy Ridge playing in the reserves week after week & I never saw him in the first team.
I played with Roy in the reserves, he made 11 first team league games and 2 F A cup games

Harry ( Mick ) Priest , great days unfortunately did nt make the grade , a few 1st team games , county cup , friendlies but only 2 league games pulled a thigh muscle at West Ham out for several weeks never got back in . It was a really great time , Willie Hamilton was just starting what a player , i remember 1 reserve match at the Lane against Newcastle Jimmy Scohlar ( hard man scottish internatioal) when we went in at half time Willie said to Fred White , that man i'm up against ,just said to me " if you make me look a **** again i'm going to break both your legs" , it didn't deter Willie he ran him into the ground and we won 3-1
Lovely to read that. Others will know better than me, but I don’t recall anyone on here who is an ex-player. To have scored a goal for United makes you a VIP; to have scored v West Ham makes you a legend!
None of my programmes, scrapbooks, etc., describes your goal. Can you describe it for us? Nobody will be able to contradict you if you say it was a 25-yard left-foot volley! And the oldies on here regard Hodgy, Joe Shaw, Hagan, etc. as heroes; have you any little stories about such players? Or perhaps about how tough it must have been to be released?

Lovely to read that. Others will know better than me, but I don’t recall anyone on here who is an ex-player. To have scored a goal for United makes you a VIP; to have scored v West Ham makes you a legend!
None of my programmes, scrapbooks, etc., describes your goal. Can you describe it for us? Nobody will be able to contradict you if you say it was a 25-yard left-foot volley! And the oldies on here regard Hodgy, Joe Shaw, Hagan, etc. as heroes; have you any little stories about such players? Or perhaps about how tough it must have been to be released?
My goal at West Ham , I picked the ball up in the centre circle set off for goal , beat 5, 6 players rounded the keeper put the ball in the net , NOW THE TRUTH , John Spencer shot for goal from inside right position but screwed his shot the ball coming across the penalty area I moved onto the ball some 12 yards out and put it into the net , no other than Malcolm Allison was on the goal line trying to clear. ( when you have only scored 1 first team goal for the blades you remember) I scored a lot of goals for the reserves but only remember the hat trick against Newcastle we won 3-1 and also against Newcastle again i scored 4 we won 5-1 . I have proudly on my wall a photo of the West Ham goal. To be transferred from United , i was to young and inexperienced so when Joe Mercer called me into his office to say we have had an offer from Halifax to buy you , I said ok , all I wanted to do was play football , Joe Mercer did nt want me so off I went, just as aside , I scored the 1st hat trick in the old 3rd Division for Halifax against Chesterfield at Saltergate , enough for now, I will post again soon about Hodgy, Joe, Jimmy

My goal at West Ham , I picked the ball up in the centre circle set off for goal , beat 5, 6 players rounded the keeper put the ball in the net , NOW THE TRUTH , John Spencer shot for goal from inside right position but screwed his shot the ball coming across the penalty area I moved onto the ball some 12 yards out and put it into the net , no other than Malcolm Allison was on the goal line trying to clear. ( when you have only scored 1 first team goal for the blades you remember) I scored a lot of goals for the reserves but only remember the hat trick against Newcastle we won 3-1 and also against Newcastle again i scored 4 we won 5-1 . I have proudly on my wall a photo of the West Ham goal. To be transferred from United , i was to young and inexperienced so when Joe Mercer called me into his office to say we have had an offer from Halifax to buy you , I said ok , all I wanted to do was play football , Joe Mercer did nt want me so off I went, just as aside , I scored the 1st hat trick in the old 3rd Division for Halifax against Chesterfield at Saltergate , enough for now, I will post again soon about Hodgy, Joe, Jimmy
Are you related to Fred Priest who won two FA Cup and one League Championship medals as our player?

Many thanks for that. I don't recall enjoying a post on here more than that, and I look forward to reading more. If it is possible for you to get a picture of your goal at West Ham and put it up on here, that would be something special. It took me about a year to work out how to do such things (and they still end up blurred), so I quite understand if you don't!

Back
Top Bottom