Sheffield United Legends - Crucible

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I really enjoyed it as well, was a fun couple of hours.

Currie is one miserable bastard though. Like getting blood out of a stone trying to get an anecdote out of him.

Agree mate it was hard work and every time he was asked something there always seemed to be a sigh before he replied.
The others though all spoke well and seemed to enjoy themselves.

I wonder why he puts himself out there then, sense of obligation because of legend status?

I wonder why he puts himself out there then, sense of obligation because of legend status?
I suspect money.

I thought he was interesting. Said he was on £16 a week at United, never got a pay increase when moving between clubs and never had an agent. May be the reason why he’s still doing things like this. He will have earned a few quid over the years as commercial manager but was broke I believe when he finished as a player so I suspect he’s glad of any additional cash.

I suspect money.

I thought he was interesting. Said he was on £16 a week at United, never got a pay increase when moving between clubs and never had an agent. May be the reason why he’s still doing things like this. He will have earned a few quid over the years as commercial manager but was broke I believe when he finished as a player so I suspect he’s glad of any additional cash.
It's amazing really, to say that in the same lifetime we now have a footballing world where a £100m player isn't a guaranteed starter for the champions of England, or the national side.

It's amazing really, to say that in the same lifetime we now have a footballing world where a £100m player isn't a guaranteed starter for the champions of England, or the national side.
Yeh and 200k a week wages. They asked TC what he would be worth now and everyone seemed to agree you’d be talking Grealish sums. Completely different game back then though

I went to the legends night in the John St suite last year, and I thought Currie was good that night. Definitely the case that Paddy was the joker - he really is good value 😂

Tbf, they deliberately sat Paddy next to TC, to take the piss a bit and bring him out of his shell, which worked to an extent

I suspect money.

There must be many examples of entertainers who love performing in public but who are reserved in private life. He was a natural entertainer at football, and clearly enjoyed the adoration that went with it. He is not a great public speaker, but presumably still likes the idea of public performance. I haven’t seen him before at one of these events, but I thought he did ok; he didn’t try to compete with Paddy Kenny, but he has a world-weary stage personality which is interesting. And makes sense to an old git like me.🤣

There must be many examples of entertainers who love performing in public but who are reserved in private life.
I remember meeting a fairly well known, very confident and entertaining footballer of the early nineties. Off the pitch he was very quiet and also quite shy. Two things I remember:-

1. When I asked him about being transferred he told me the deals were more or less done before he knew anything about them - pre Bosman days of course.

2. My staff telling me about the wad of £20 notes he used to pull out of his pocket when paying!

My Dad and I really enjoyed the evening, although me more so, as my Dad struggled hearing it all, so I had to fill him in on e=anything I could remember in the Hammer and Pincers afterwards.
Some stand-outs that I don't think others have mentioned already are:
TC' explanation about being a favourite for Alf Ramsey for England gaining most of his full England caps under him, effectively replacing Alan Ball. All changed when that arrogant tosser (my words, not his!) Don Revie took over. Revie apparently took players like TC, Stan Bowles, Alan Hudson, Rod Marsh and Frank Worthington aside and his first training session and told them all they weren't in his plans. So they all packed their things and left. Needless to say, things didn't go well for England under his 'leadership'!
TC did say that he was still in the squad for most of the time under Revie, but only gained one cap.
TC@ started out as looking like he didn't want to be there, but warmed up during the proceedings, only to be curtailed by the interval, and the following, for me totally misplaced (having payed decent money purely to listen the Blades players anecdotes, as advertised beforehand). It took over half an hour, when we were there to listen to the four legends.
I was surprised how honest and even sensitive Deano was. He explained that he was quite apprehensive to come back to the Blades, after playing for Leeds. He felt people might see that dropping a division might appear that he had no ambition, but seeing Paul Merson move from Arsenal to Middlesborough, gave him the confidence to make the switch. He seemed to suffer from worrying too much about what other people might think, throughout his career.
Not the greatest orator, but honest and obviously had his best times at BDTBL. In fact, as they probably were expected to, they all had that fondness of SUFC being a great club to be a part of, from -playing, to staff, to fans - apart from Blackwell!!!
He also explained that he was originally sold by Reg Brearley as the Blades were (!?!?! nothings changed) in the shit financially.
Paddy was great. Just what we need on the evening. He was funny and working with Morgs, had some great anecdotes.
One being after The Blades had [played Millwall (I think it was) and Kevin Muscat had been kicking lumps out of everyone during the first half. Paddy challenged him in the tunnel, saying "What's you're problem, pick on someone your own size), whereby Muscat headbutted him. Morgs grabbed paddy around his arms to avoid the imminent retaliation. Paddy managed to fly some kicks at Muscat, with some other players reaching over and landing punches on the Aussie.
On hearing about the fracas, Warnock said, " I love you lot, sticking up for one another and backing each other up. It's great. I love that"!. Just then, someone came in and invited Paddy into the referee's room. He went in to find Muscat in there already and they were both issues=d with red cards. On returning into the changing room, Warnock's reaction was to say to Paddy, "You've let yourself down, you've let me down and you've let your team down!) Made me laugh a lot.
As has been said earlier, both Morg's and Paddy loved playing under Warnock ( though not under Blackwell, Paddy felt bullied by him!). Said he wasn't the best tactically, but was THE best man-manager, motivator.
I thought Morg's was brilliant, and a good speaker, and was also moved at the end when he explained his biggest regret was missing, though an ankle injury in an away game, his farewell to the fans and being able to show his thanks to them.
All in all, apart from the auction and raffle (which I paid another £20 for, without success!), it was a great night. Pity Billy wasn't there.

Back
Top Bottom