Selling young players

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
Football clubs lose money. That's it. That's a reality. The era of benevolent owners who treat club's as their toys to throw money away on is largely over.

I'm seeing it mentioned more and more that the sales of DCL and Ramsdale were bad.

The fact remains that those sales allowed us to bring in JOC, Fleck, Duffy, Moore, Hansen, Wright, Wilson etc and subsequently get promoted.

Neither DCL or Rammers were going to play a regular role that season.

In the same season we sold Brooks we brought in Egan, Henderson, Norwood, McGoldrick, Madine and subsequently get promoted.

We shouldn't be in the same position again but bad management from PA & CW means it looks like we've both overspent and put highly paid players on contracts which are too long.

If, and it's a big if, selling Jebbison allows use to bring in 2/3 player which will keep us up, then so be it.

Football clubs lose money. That's it. That's a reality. The era of benevolent owners who treat club's as their toys to throw money away on is largely over.

I'm seeing it mentioned more and more that the sales of DCL and Ramsdale were bad.

The fact remains that those sales allowed us to bring in JOC, Fleck, Duffy, Moore, Hansen, Wright, Wilson etc and subsequently get promoted.

In the same season we sold Brooks we brought in Egan, Henderson, Norwood, McGoldrick, Madine and subsequently get promoted.

We shouldn't be in the same position again but bad management from PA & CW means it looks like we've both overspent and put highly paid players on contracts which are too long.

If, and it's a big if, selling Jebbison allows use to bring in 2/3 player which will keep us up, then so be it.
Disagree if we’re wanting to continue to operate at championship level then it’s vital that academy products are sold to keep funding the club but not when their values are low having had limited first team exposure the key is to keep them for a few years give them exposure and then sell for big money in championship terms in their early 20’s. Selling for low value in their teens when they’re still effectively youth players is only enough to sustain us at league one level.

• Banned
Disagree if we’re wanting to continue to operate at championship level then it’s vital that academy products are sold to keep funding the club but not when their values are low having had limited first team exposure the key is to keep them for a few years give them exposure and then sell for big money in championship terms in their early 20’s. Selling for low value in their teens when they’re still effectively youth players is only enough to sustain us at league one level.
I agree with you in terms of low values but I don't think £5 million for a player who isn't going to feature in our first team is a low fee, imo.

A couple of points..

1. Jebbison is the future, we sell him at our peril.

2. Relegation won’t happen, we won’t be relegated.

All about opinions, and those are mine.

I agree with you in terms of low values but I don't think £5 million for a player who isn't going to feature in our first team is a low fee, imo.
It is and it isn’t. It’s not a low fee for a player who isnt featuring but it is a low fee in terms of what he’d fetch with a season or two of championship football behind him. A lot is talked about Brentford in terms of their recruitment and rightly so but their sales are equally impressive they sell at the right time and for top value and refuse to sell before that. Watkins for example was completely not for sale the summer maupay went because they knew they could get far better value for him next summer. The same for mepham and konza if you believe in a player then hold onto them until you can extract top value for them.

The key is acknowledging the need to sell but having a clear plan for when that sale best suits you the selling club it’s something Dortmund do incredibly well as well. They have a timeframe in which they know they will sell a high value player and so have a succession plan in place for when it happens the same as Brentford. That’s the key to being a successful selling club to do it on your terms but that takes planning and a supreme amount of confidence and I’m not sure we have either.

• Banned
It is and it isn’t. It’s not a low fee for a player who isnt featuring but it is a low fee in terms of what he’d fetch with a season or two of championship football behind him. A lot is talked about Brentford in terms of their recruitment and rightly so but their sales are equally impressive they sell at the right time and for top value and refuse to sell before that. Watkins for example was completely not for sale the summer maupay went because they knew they could get far better value for him next summer. The same for mepham and konza if you believe in a player then hold onto them until you can extract top value for them.

The key is acknowledging the need to sell but having a clear plan for when that sale best suits you the selling club it’s something Dortmund do incredibly well as well. They have a timeframe in which they know they will sell a high value player and so have a succession plan in place for when it happens the same as Brentford. That’s the key to being a successful selling club to do it on your terms but that takes planning and a supreme amount of confidence and I’m not sure we have either.

But he's not going to play in the Championship this season. And then who knows after that. Are we going to get more value for a player who is unhappy and hasn't played next summer or one who might play the year after?

The Brentford strategy only works if the club is on the up. We're on the down. It looks like we can't afford to wait. Personally, I'd have him in the squad but it seems like the manager doesn't agree.

No wonder we need to sell. We’ve just paid Max Lowe £750,000 in wages to sit on the bench for a season.

But he's not going to play in the Championship this season. And then who knows after that. Are we going to get more value for a player who is unhappy and hasn't played next summer or one who might play the year after?

The Brentford strategy only works if the club is on the up. We're on the down. It looks like we can't afford to wait. Personally, I'd have him in the squad but it seems like the manager doesn't agree.
I think he’ll increase in value personally over the next few years and whilst he’s not starting the manager has spoken positively about him.

I agree we’re on the slide but the sale of jebbison now would continue to contribute to it. I’d rather sell Coulibaly for example a player who’s unlikely to ever play for us and who we’d get more money for.

• Banned
I think he’ll increase in value personally over the next few years and whilst he’s not starting the manager has spoken positively about him.

I agree we’re on the slide but the sale of jebbison now would continue to contribute to it. I’d rather sell Coulibaly for example a player who’s unlikely to ever play for us and who we’d get more money for.
I agree with you on that. Makes no sense to not accept the money if we have no money. If Beerschot get relegated, which is a possibility, tghen what will his value be?

No wonder we need to sell. We’ve just paid Max Lowe £750,000 in wages to sit on the bench for a season.
Imagine how much that adds up to if you include Rodwell, Bryan, Jags, Fotheringham, Moore, Verrips....

I agree with you on that. Makes no sense to not accept the money if we have no money. If Beerschot get relegated, which is a possibility, tghen what will his value be?
Everything has to be geared on helping us we can’t be a charity at the moment

That doesn’t make sense. Clubs can only lose money if the owners are prepared to cover the losses by putting their own money in. Otherwise clubs would just go bankrupt.

That doesn’t make sense. Clubs can only lose money if the owners are prepared to cover the losses by putting their own money in. Otherwise clubs would just go bankrupt.
Or if they sell players to cover that loss?

If we sell Jebbison, it will rank as one of the, if not the stupidest decision we've ever made, and that's coming from a club that have made some absolute humdingers over the years. Not only that but it would paint a very bleak picture of how the club was being run & would worry me about the short to mid term future of it.

How is that bargain with The Devil to get promotion going?

Back
Top Bottom