Selection dilemma: Up front vs Yeovil

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who would be your lone striker vs Yeovil?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He did give a stupid free kick away with one of his first touches at Bradford... But do you really leave your goalscorer on the bench for that reason?

apparently NC was questioned recently and that was the reason he gave - I didn't hear it, but his comments were summarised on another post on here.

UTB

apparently NC was questioned recently and that was the reason he gave - I didn't hear it, but his comments were summarised on another post on here.

UTB

Clough has spent much of his press conference time this season moaning about small stuff where JCR, Higdon and McNulty are concerned.

It does seem to me like Clough is hyper-critical of certain players and not of others. JCR vs Orient called out for switching off and not tracking back at the end. From what I saw, Alcock and Flynn were equally culpable in that instance? Then McNulty this weekend, criticised for giving away a silly free kick. But what about the poor defending from Basham and Murphy to allow the cross for their best chance of the game? Baxter too gave the ball away in silly positions. I could be wrong but it seems to me that when Clough has his selections questioned he gets defensive, picks out the negatives above all else. He can be stubborn but if it gets McNulty itching to prove himself and bag a goal or two every time he comes on then perhaps it's the right approach?

Clough has spent much of his press conference time this season moaning about small stuff where JCR, Higdon and McNulty are concerned.

depends what you call small stuff - I reckon NC is as up front as I have seen ever when it comes to informing the fans of decisions/reasons. Collins comes to mind - poor defending, NC said so and he is out of the team - told us all - end of story. So where does Collins go from here? Will he be given another chance? Perhaps he has to prove it in training over a period of time.

NC is very quick to point out reasons, appears to stick to his principles and certainly appears to have an Alex Ferguson about him. I have a few issues with NC, but we are lucky to have him overall - he will get us back in the BIG league :)
Might take time, but considering the player power in the game, he won't suffer fools gladly.

UTB

All the answers from Clough picking up on the small things (Higdon/McNulty/Campbell-Ryce) have come after questions about why they weren't starting. He [Clough] seems to take it as an affront, as if his selections are being scrutinised . It's only a small thing but he definitely doesn't react well to criticism.

- - - - - - Doyle - Basham (JW if fit) - - - - - -

- - - JCR - - - - - - Baxter - - - - - - Murphy - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - McNulty - - - - - - - - - - - - -

He did give a stupid free kick away with one of his first touches at Bradford... But do you really leave your goalscorer on the bench for that reason?
Exactly.I saw the free kick you're talking about but would any manager with the right mind drop or not play their best finisher just for that,none that i can think of.

I think a few posters have hit the nail on the head that he jumps on the defensive when he thinks he's being scrutinised.

Yeovil have been playing with 5 at the back recently haven't they? Think their centre backs may find it confusing only having 1 striker to mark. Hopefully Scougall can draw them out and create space behind

STILL need a 'sniffer' type striker a la Keith Edwardsish,we have too many loose balls in the opp box that need someone just to latch on to,I think that type of player will finish us off nicely ...:)

We've got two Mcnulty and Higdon just got to start em simple

Yeovil have been playing with 5 at the back recently haven't they? Think their centre backs may find it confusing only having 1 striker to mark. Hopefully Scougall can draw them out and create space behind

Alternatively, they may find it very easy, given they will outnumber our lone striker.

I don't agree that McNulty is only an impact player,i think he's a very good and clever footballer.The only reason he is seen like that atm is because that's how Cloughy is playing him.He's much better than just an impact player and you have to start him for me.

Anyway,just because you sponsor Higdon's shirt...........:D

Yep

I know a lot of people want us to play 4-4-2, and that's a debate of it's own. But if Clough has decided to stick with 4-5-1 for the time being it's also interesting to discuss which players he should pick within that formation, and that's what this poll is about.

Revolution and breeny, who would you pick in central midfield in a 4-4-2 if Wallace is still injured?

Well, defo not Basham as he's now #1 CB!

To sum up this thread:

• We did play one up front
  • McNulty, the s24su preferred choice, started in the lone striker role
  • But Clough said that Baxter would have started the game if he'd been fully fit

Back
Top Bottom