Second guessing what’s going on

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Patrick Suffaux

Reaction score
I’m fascinated by our hunt for strikers and what it might lead to. I can only speculate but this is where I think we might be in that pursuit.....

According to local media in South Wales no one has made an offer for McBurnie.

My guess: at most we have made an initial enquiry about his valuation. I expect they want more than we think he’s worth.

According to rumours, Callum Robinson has been the subject of one rejected offer and we haven’t heard of another since.

My guess: may have only enquired, possibly made a tentative offer and are miles apart with Preston on the fee. Again I think they want more than we think he’s worth.

According to rumours we are one of a few interested in Jay Rodriguez and despite a low fee (but apparently big wages) no one has made an offer as far as we know.

My guess: possible that we made an enquiry. If so we’re probably put off by the salary.

According to rumours and local media in the North East we made enquiries about Britt Assombalonga and the two clubs were some way apart on the fee. That story has gone very quiet since.

My guess: I think we probably showed genuine interest. Fits the profile in terms of age and the type of striker we might need. Our valuation is perhaps a bit short of what they want but we might have gone back in with another offer.

According to very vague and unsupported rumours we are interested in Neal Maupay and were allegedly close to signing him. Despite his record last season and the reported interest from many clubs he has gone nowhere yet, barely even the mention of an offer.

My guess: I think we must have asked about him, as several other clubs will have because he was arguably the stellar striker in the Championship last year and is young. My gut tells me that Brentford want far more than we would be willing to pay but that United might also for the first time ever surprise me. Intrigued by this one.

According to a number of media outlets we have been interested in Charlie Austin and that doesn’t seem to have any legs. Nothing to substantiate any interest and just doesn’t seem like the right age for Wilder to be interested.

My guess: agent feeding newspapers to promote his availability. Nothing in it.

Summary: I think Maupay might be the primary target with Assombalonga being the secondary one. I believe that the latter may be financially more attainable and is the no.9 we will ultimately sign.

Caveat: I think United would also like to sign Callum Robinson as the no.10 to rival McGoldrick but that Wilder may now see Ravel Morrison as the more affordable option in that role. I believe our no.10 will play deeper next year, almost as an attacking midfielder at times.

We will end up with Morrison/McGoldrick supporting Assombalonga/Sharp. That’s what I’m expecting.

Looks good this. Think I'll read it at work tomorrow!
Its "me hour" right now. Just waiting for the vid to buffer.

I'm fascinated that the police still keep getting funding to search for Madeleine McCann but I hear Portugal is nice all year round.

I’m fascinated by our hunt for strikers and what it might lead to. I can only speculate but this is where I think we might be in that pursuit.....

According to local media in South Wales no one has made an offer for McBurnie.

My guess: at most we have made an initial enquiry about his valuation. I expect they want more than we think he’s worth.

According to rumours, Callum Robinson has been the subject of one rejected offer and we haven’t heard of another since.

My guess: may have only enquired, possibly made a tentative offer and are miles apart with Preston on the fee. Again I think they want more than we think he’s worth.

According to rumours we are one of a few interested in Jay Rodriguez and despite a low fee (but apparently big wages) no one has made an offer as far as we know.

My guess: possible that we made an enquiry. If so we’re probably put off by the salary.

According to rumours and local media in the North East we made enquiries about Britt Assombalonga and the two clubs were some way apart on the fee. That story has gone very quiet since.

My guess: I think we probably showed genuine interest. Fits the profile in terms of age and the type of striker we might need. Our valuation is perhaps a bit short of what they want but we might have gone back in with another offer.

According to very vague and unsupported rumours we are interested in Neal Maupay and were allegedly close to signing him. Despite his record last season and the reported interest from many clubs he has gone nowhere yet, barely even the mention of an offer.

My guess: I think we must have asked about him, as several other clubs will have because he was arguably the stellar striker in the Championship last year and is young. My gut tells me that Brentford want far more than we would be willing to pay but that United might also for the first time ever surprise me. Intrigued by this one.

According to a number of media outlets we have been interested in Charlie Austin and that doesn’t seem to have any legs. Nothing to substantiate any interest and just doesn’t seem like the right age for Wilder to be interested.

My guess: agent feeding newspapers to promote his availability. Nothing in it.

Summary: I think Maupay might be the primary target with Assombalonga being the secondary one. I believe that the latter may be financially more attainable and is the no.9 we will ultimately sign.

Caveat: I think United would also like to sign Callum Robinson as the no.10 to rival McGoldrick but that Wilder may now see Ravel Morrison as the more affordable option in that role. I believe our no.10 will play deeper next year, almost as an attacking midfielder at times.

We will end up with Morrison/McGoldrick supporting Assombalonga/Sharp. That’s what I’m expecting.
well that was a depressing read.

I actually think we will pull it out of the bag and sign Maupay. Fuck it. We mean business this year, Wilder will not be pinning his hopes on maybe-maybe nots like Morrison

I'd be pretty disappointed if that situation played out.

Oh and Jay sodding Rodriguez?! No ta. We're much better than that.

My guesses...

We're trying to get Maupay AND McBurnie.

We're not as close to getting Maupay as rumoured.

We're further down the line with McBurnie than the lack of rumours indicate.

We bid for Robinson but Preston are asking too much so we'll be patient and go for him if we don't get Maupay, and maybe if we do if they drop their asking price enough.

Rodriguez will be the number 1 alternative to McBurnie and we'd have a great chance of getting him.

Marriott's an alternative to Maupay and Robinson.

Assombalonga's a non starter because Boro think they're entitled to recoup what they paid.

There's a bit of truth to the Puscas rumours.

#NotITK

Rodriguez hasn't been good enough for years
Nor has Austin
Robinson isn't an out and out striker
Maupay is expensive, as is McBurnie but both have bags of potential.
Assombalonga is probably a bit pricey and a bit of a gamble but could be what we need.

I'd look at the latter 3.

McBurnie, Maupay and Assombalonga in order of preference.

Back
Top Bottom