Season Preview and Predictions 22-23

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
This is on the superb Pinch News today courtesy of Dem Blades and also on our Tufty Club Wordpress - links below but thought I would post on here so people can debate, critique and have a go at me for putting us too low. Feel free to come back to this over the coming months and give me s**t.

Championship Season Preview 22-23

It’s that time of year again where I try and predict where everyone will finish. I’m always honest enough to admit where I went wrong at the end of the season. To be fair last season I did not too bad predicting the Champions and also got United's position almost bang on. I predicted 2/3 relegation teams I think but was way off on West Brom, Huddersfield to name but a few.

It seems like the obvious tips are almost always the three coming down and those losing playoff sides. This year I’m not so sure on that normally safe forecasting? I think Norwich will be strong but lack the creativity of previous promotion campaigns and a different manager. Burnley and Watford also have new men in charge. I am also not so sure on Huddersfield, Luton and gulp, even the Blades. All have to adapt to losing arguably their best players and their manager, in the Terriers case.

There will undoubtedly be some surprises but I also think some of those well coached sides with continuity such as Millwall and Coventry will do well, especially in an arguably weaker division.

As for the other end of the league, the three coming up seem to have different expectations. I expect Sunderland, with their behemoth of a stadium and fan base to be mid table comfortably. Wigan also I expect to be fine but Rotherham, having been ravaged of their main men from our porkular foes up the road, could go straight down again. The likes of Reading and Birmingham will struggle again due to financial/boardroom issues.

In the middle section, there is so many teams that could finish anywhere between 10th to 18th and a lot of these are interchangeable and more signings, poor/good starts could see some of these sides flip flop around.

Anyway, without further a do....here goes nothing. Please add comments/debate below. Remember it’s just an opinion. Also I tend to generally be conservative with my prognosis for United so bear that in mind. However my record on predicting our final place is pretty good before everyone jumps up and down, stamps their feet and accuses me of wetting my mattress.

In reverse order...

24) Rotherham United

Manager: Paul Warne

What a thoroughly decent fella. Top manager too who probably deserves a tilt at a club with more resources. Speaks well and funny too. Gets his teams super fit and organised.

In
Conor Washington (free, Charlton Athletic)
Tom Eaves (free, Hull City)
Peter Kioso (undisclosed, Luton Town)
Cohen Bramall (undisclosed, Lincoln City)
Jamie McCart (free, St Johnstone)
Cameron Humphreys (free, Zulte Waregem) Grant Hall (loan, Middlesborough)

Out
Jake Cooper (released)
Jacob Gratton (released)
Freddie Ladapo (Ipswich)
Angus MacDonald (free, Swindon Town)
Joe Mattock (free, Harrogate Town)
Mickel Miller (released)
Alfie Burnett (free, Forest Green Rovers)
Michael Ihiekwe (free, Sheffield Wednesday)
Michael Smith (free, Sheffield Wednesday)

Returned at the first attempt but you worry that despite a superb season of promotion and a trophy (ok it was only the Papa John’s but still a cup), that the higher level will find them out again. Even before they lost their best defender and leading scorer, Ihiekwe and Smith, it would have been a struggle. Throw in Ladapo leaving and you realise how tough it is for the Millers when League One clubs can pay better wages. Warne will get everything he can out of this bunch though. I feel bad and lazy just saying they will have a fourth Championship relegation in a row but they lack Championship experience and nous all over the field. Some steady players in Richard Wood and Ben Wiles but not sure they will be tight enough at the back or score anywhere near the goals required. They will surprise a few but ultimately they look well short all over and even the excellent Warne will not be able to overcome their deficiencies.

Key Player: Chiedozie Ogbebe

Impressed with the Republic of Ireland over the summer. Quick, direct and will be counted on to score and assist in a team lacking quality.

Deadbat’s pointless thought:
I’ve never seen Warne either not wearing a beanie hat or with a coffee. My kind of guy.

Verdict:
Hard to see them surviving.

23) Hull City

Manager: Shota Arveladze

Already somewhat of a journeyman manager, before coming to Humberside, he had managed 346 games with five different clubs, his overall record reading 178 wins, 72 draws and 96 defeats. However, his main success has been in Uzbekistan and Turkey and his first full season will ask more questions now the honeymoon is over.

In
Tobias Figueiredo (free, Nottingham Forest)
Ozan Tufan (undisclosed, Fenerbahce)
Nathan Baxter (loan, Chelsea)
Jean Michael Seri (free, Hull City)
Allahyar Sayyadmanesh (£4.1m, Fenerbahce)
Oscar Estupinan (free, Vitoria Guimaraes)
Dogukan Sinik (undisclosed, Antalyaspor)
Benjamin Tetteh (free, Yeni Malatyaspor)

Out
Tom Huddlestone (released)
Richie Smallwood (released)
Tom Eaves (Rotherham United)
Harvey Cartwright (loan, Peterborough United)
George Moncur (undisclosed, Leyton Orient)
George Honeyman (undisclosed, Millwall)
Keane Lewis-Potter (£17.1m, Brentford)

Last year I pegged Huddersfield way too low and I might have done the same here. I don’t see them anywhere near the top 10 but a side that could be anywhere from just below mid table to going down. I’ve plumped for the latter. I don’t see where the goals are coming from and another side who lack depth/quality Championship.

They’ve signed a fair few from the continent including converting the loan of striker Sayyadmenesh into a permanent deal for a sizeable fee. The Iranian will need to score more than one goal this time out. However, annoying but effective ‘ratter’ Honeyman goes rather aptly to Millwall. More telling is the loss of best player Lewis Potter. He was their main man most weeks and his loss will be felt.

The remainder of the squad consists of younger players including former Blades duo Slater and Smith and four coming in from the mid reaches of the Turkish Super Lig. Despite the change of ownership, the crowds have still not really returned to the KC yet nor has the feel good factor come from this change that many envisaged, at least on the pitch.

Key Player: Jean Micheal Seri

Decent signing from Fulham who will give them technical ability and flair.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: I once heard that Hull were going to be the first football team to play on the moon. In 1984 then chairman Don Robinson took the squad to NASA’s base in Cape Canaveral during a US tour. I wonder how then current Tiger Billy Whitehurst, would have adapted to the tough surface and if any ‘Aliens’ would have taken him on in a ‘match’? I do believe he would have been more effective than Weaver. Sigourney not Nicky.

Verdict: I think they actually overachieved last season even though they were in the lower reaches. This year will be a real struggle. If they start badly expect them to get marooned. They have some unknown signings and this prediction is the one that could go badly wrong – not be totally shocked if they are just below mid-way but feel signing unknowns and unproven to this league might not always work.

22) Birmingham City

Manager: John Eustace
Was coaching at QPR but seems a cheap appointment to me and he has no experience in management other than a brief spell at Kidderminster. Bowyer split opinion but seemed to get them motivated to win enough games.

In
Finley Thorndike (free, Aston Villa)
Dion Sanderson (loan, Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Przemyslaw Placheta (loan, Norwich City)
John Ruddy (free, Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Auston Trusty (loan, Arsenal)

Out
Fran Villalba (undisclosed, Sporting Gijon)
Jeremie Bela (released)
Renedi Masampu (released)
Kristian Pedersen (free, FC Koln)
Kane Thompson-Sommers (released)
Connal Trueman (released)
Yoane Zohore (released)
Ivan Sanchez (undisclosed, Real Valladolid)
Ivan Sunjic (loan, Hertha Berlin)
Josh Andrews (loan, Doncaster Rovers)
Kyle Hurst (free, Doncaster Rovers)

Managed to keep their head above water last season amidst issues off the field. They spent a good period of the season playing in front of a half open St Andrews. They are still embroiled in ownership issues with bizarrely former Barcelona striker Maxi Lopez amongst a consortium involved in the latest bid. As I write this, the deal is not close to completion and thus the uncertainty will engulf the club and a new manager as the season commences.

There is some experience in the likes of George Friend, Gary Gardner, Ryan Woods and new keeper John Ruddy. Junior Bacuna can cause problems and Hogan & Jutkiewicz offer experience, but the latter is not the player he was and had a poor season. The rest of the squad is made up of youngsters and a number moved on in the summer. Any kind of injuries coupled with more discontent from fans if the takeover stalls and they are in the sticky stuff.

Key Player: Scott Hogan
Journeyman striker but in a squad devoid of much at all, he will need to score a hatful if they stay up.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Jude Bellingham's number 22 shirt was retired after he only played 44 games for the blue noses and left at 16. Comparable for United is Phil Thompson who played the same number of games (44) in the 1980s for us! Thankfully we chose to not to honour the ‘over the hill’ big nosed defender in the same way.

Verdict:
Financial problems, a decaying ground and thin squad. They’ll be the ‘big’ side that goes for me. This season’s Derby County if you like.

21) Wigan Athletic

Manager: Leam Richardson

Did superbly to get them up after he finally went out on his own after being part of Paul Cook’s managerial teams. They nearly went down the previous season so a tremendous turnaround to go up as Champions.

In

Ryan Nyambe (free, Blackburn Rovers)

Out
Gavin Massey (Port Vale)
Adam Long (undisclosed, Doncaster Rovers)
Jordan Jones (loan, Kilmarnock)

Not sure many fancied them last season but they are back at this level again after a few years away. They do not possess many players who would worry you with a lot of cast offs or journeymen supplanting some young talent like defender Jack Whatmough.

Veterans Max Power, Tendayi Darikwa and James McClean will offer the know how but they do look short of those that will regularly break teams down or the range of scorers. Defensively they will get opened up much more.

The excellent young manager has not only found an effective way of playing but has forged a real togetherness. They will need those qualities in abundance to stay clear of troubled water. A good start is essential but they will surprise a few, especially at home.

Key Player: Will Keane

Scored a raft of goals and finally looked like showing the potential he had when he was a kid at Man Utd with Pogba, Lingaard, Ravel Morrison, John Cofie and Sean McGinty. Ok, maybe not the last two but checking you were still reading. Physical outlet who will rough up defences and is a handful. An Andy Carroll light in style and looks.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Jamie Carragher’ son plays for Wigan. His name is Jamie. I’ve always wondered about why people call their kids the same forename as them? I get the family tradition if it is a name in the family that has always been used but I still think it is weird. Egotistical almost. Sorry if I’ve offended anyone. *Middle names are fine by the way but give your lad/daughter their own first name people!

Verdict:
Momentum will carry over to start this season which will see them accrue enough points.

20) Cardiff City

Manager: Steve Morison

He always liked a battle as a player and will need to do the same as a manager. Did just about enough to get the full time job bit now with a squad with his own players, albeit with limited funds, he will be able to be properly assessed.

In

Ebou Adams (free, Forest Green Rovers)
Jak Alnwick (free, St Mirren)
Ollie Tanner (undisclosed, Lewes)
Jamilu Collins (free, Paderborn)
Callum O'Dowda (free, Bristol City)
Vontae Daley-Campbell (free, Leicester City)
Mahlon Romeo (free, Millwall)
Ryan Allsop (free, Derby County)
Andy Rinomhota (free, Reading)
Romaine Sawyers (undisclosed, West Bromwich Albion)
Cedric Kipre (loan, West Bromwich Albion)

Out
Sam Bowen (undisclosed, Newport County)
Chanka Zimba (loan, Newport County)
Aden Flint (free, Stoke City)
Will Vaulks (free, Sheffield Wednesday)
Marlon Pack (free, Portsmouth)
Leandro Bacuna (released)
Ciaron Brown (released)
Josh Murphy (Oxford United)
Alex Smithies (released)
Isaac Vassell (released)
James Connolly (undisclosed, Bristol Rovers)
Kieron Evans (loan, Torquay United)
James Collins (free, Derby County)

A strange old season last time with McCarthy moved on after Harris had not lasted long before him either. Morison steadied the ship but they got a right old battering at rivals Swansea, who completed the first ever South Wales double which will have irked Cardiff fans.

Morison said he would make changes and he has with lots departing (many out of contract and on deals signed from the Warnock Premier League days) and a number of newcomers. At least half a dozen experienced mainstays of the Bluebirds recent past have left although whether Morison will change the style remains to be seen now the likes of Vaulks Flint and Moore have left? Sawyers, Rinhomota and O’Dowda are certainly more ‘technical’ players in midfield.

The Gareth Bale dream signing never materialised despite Bluebirds fans constantly checking flight paths and him apparently talking to the club. They seem to completely lack goal scorers and indeed strikers scanning their squad. If they don’t address this, they could get sucked into the scramble at the depth of the division.

Key Player: Ruben Colwill

Talented Welsh midfielder with an eye for a goal. With the potential evolution in style, his development may be accelerated even more.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: The Ayatollah celebration came into use at the Cardiff City games in 1990. It was originally performed by the singers and fans of a Welsh-language punk group called U Thant. It was first performed by the Cardiff City fans at the Sincil Bank, home of Lincoln City, on 15 September 1990, the day after U Thant had played a gig at Cardiff's Chapter Arts Centre. Do Cardiff fans think it looks good by the way when they pat their own heads? I think they look ridiculous. Reminds me of when as a kid we’d do the same thing and rub our tummy at the same time. Or vice versa.

Verdict:
Will need to get a goal scorer in before the end of August or may be looking over their shoulder.

19) Blackpool

Manager: Michael Appleton

Controversially back at Bloomfield Road after he was only there for 9 weeks in 2012-13. Neil Critchley worked wonders for the Tangerines but the fact he left to work with Steven Gerrard again shows perhaps that a) He had a great working relationship with the LFC legend 2) He will get paid more as a coach in the Premier League than a manager in the Championship and 3) He maybe has taken Pool as far as he can. Appleton is a former PNE player adding to the difficulty in succeeding someone who has done such a sterling job.

In
Lewis Fiorini (loan, Manchester City)
Rhys Williams (loan, Liverpool) Dominic Thompson (Brentford)

Out
Cameron Antwi (released)
Ryan Grant (released)
Johnny Johnston (released)
Matthew Liptrott (released)
Charlie Monks (released)
Ethan Robson (free, MK Dons)
Sky Sinclair (released)
Grant Ward (released)
Oliver Casey (loan, Forest Green Rovers)
Reece James (loan, Sheffield Wednesday)

The Tangerines were absolutely comfortable in mid table and coped with the step up with ease. They shocked a few bigger clubs (United for one!) and handed out some drubbing to a few sides along the way! There is talent there in the likes of Josh Bowler, Shayne Lavery and Jerry Yates. Experienced pros like Keogh and Madine are vital at either end of the pitch.

They have not really changed the squad and it is worrying they have not freshened things up. The second season surprise element will not be there and that coupled with a new manager might mean things are tougher and they drop down a touch.

Key Player: Josh Bowler

Bowler was a promising young player at Goodison Park but never made the grade in the end. Had a loan spell at Hull before settling with Blackpool. A tricky winger whose direct play got ‘Pool up the field, he will want to build on an excellent first season.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Stanley Matthews played in the top flight at 50 and for England at 42! So sadly it looks like my international days have passed me by but I maybe should not give up making it as a pro just yet?

Verdict:
Will have enough to stay away from trouble but a small squad with no real additions may be tested. The new sub rules will not help clubs like Blackpool.

18) Bristol City

Manager: Nigel Pearson

Not sure City have seen the impact they wanted from the experienced Pearson who won’t have come cheap. To be fair to him, it is taking him a while to shift a number of players who have been too comfortable for too long. Do wonder if he will have the appetite to stay for what is clearly a long term project?

In
Mark Sykes (free, Oxford United)
Kal Naismith (free, Luton Town)
Kane Wilson (free, Forest Green Rovers)
Stefan Bajic (free, unattached)

Out
Callum O'Dowda (released)
Louis Britton (released)
Kasey Palmer (undisclosed, Coventry City)
Robbie Cundy (free, Barnsley)
Saikou Janneh (undisclosed, Cambridge United)
Taylor Moore (loan, Shrewsbury Town)
Owura Edwards (loan, Ross County)
Tyreeq Barkinson (undisclosed, Sheffield Wednesday)

A 17th placed finish represented another underwhelming season for City who are never bad enough to go down but miles off ever being in contention. They conceded 77 goals last season and Naismith and Kane Wilson will need to steady this porous area of the side. Antoine Semenyo is the creative talent but the reliance on goals still comes from Weimann and veteran Chris Martin. Lots of steady players but a side that lacks excitement.

Not sure it is clear what kind of style City are evolving towards? Pearson seems to be wanting to build the team around youngsters like Alex Scott and will still take time to build his own side.

Key Player: Kai Naismith

Quite a coup as possibly Luton's best asset and opted to move South West probably pocketing a far better wage in the process. Versatile performer who can defend but come out with the ball and operates in a whole range of positions.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: I always wondered what was so special about the tower block of flats they filmed Fools and Horses from (right next to Ashton Gate). Surely they were able to find one in Peckham to give that ‘Sarf London authenticity?

Verdict: They look a long way short of bring a side that is going to be promotion contenders but Pearson is too wily to stop them struggling.

17) Reading

Manager: Paul Ince

Seemed a completely baffling appointment considering he had been out of the game for so long, after starting well at MK Dons but then struggling higher up the pyramid. His job was to keep then up and he did that. This season it might be the same objective that is his main aim. I would not be shocked if he does not see the season out.

In
Joe Lumley (loan, Middlesbrough)
Tom Ince (free, Stoke City)
Dean Bouzanis (free, Southend United)
Tyrese Fornah (loan, Nottingham Forest)
Jeff Hendrick (loan, Newcastle United)
Shane Long (free, Southampton)
Sam Hutchinson (free, Sheffield Wednesday)

Out
James Holden (undisclosed, Cambridge United)
Terell Thomas (released)
Brandon Barker (free, Omonia Nicosia)
Orjan Nyland (released)
Felipe Araruna (released)
Alen Halilovic (released)
Marc McNulty (released)
Michael Morrison (Portsmouth)
John Swift (released)
Ethan Bristow (free, Tranmere Rovers)
Josh Laurent (free, Stoke City)
Andy Rinomhota (released)
Luke Southwood (loan, Cheltenham Town)

They played United off the park at the Lane as this helped them complete their survival but for the most part last season was best forgotten with a points deduction, financial issues and a managerial change. They do not look set to see much of an upward move with issues still swirling round off the field.

Swift departing is a blow and bringing in ageing midfielders Hutchison and Hendrick is not really showing a long term plan. He signed his son, whom like his Dad, had lost his way. Shane Long is a strange one as he seems to have been at Southampton forever but now finally departs. Always a nuisance running behind bit will he add goals at this lower level? Probably have enough up top to get away from the bottom but I think they have one of the ‘weakest’ home advantages in the country.

Some of the experts have pegged them to go down and whilst their squad is weak, I do think they have those goalscoring threats that means they can move away from the bottom places. Meite and Joao offer pace and running in behind meaning they can get some results away from home on the break. Not convinced by Ince but he does have enough experience in the group to avoid the drop again.

Key Player: Lucas Joao

Always causes the Blades problems and I would not be averse to us signing him. Quick, strong and can finish. He lacks consistency and has never remained free from injuries for a long period of time. If he did, you expect a team higher up the league to look at him.

Former chairman and owner John Madjeski was once romantically linked to Cilla Black. On a similar subject of club owners/director’s former beau’s, my own Grandma once dated Arnold Laver. I would not be writing this if the relationship had continued as my Mum would not exist.

Verdict: Similar to last season but without the points deduction and if Joao and Meite fit then will be more comfortable.

16) Sunderland

Manager: Alex Neil

Had a number of managerial changes in an attempt to get out of the third tier. Finally they found a man who took them over the line. A steady, experienced manager who started well at Norwich and Preston before fans and their respective boards became frustrated at the lack of progress. I do wonder if he will be a long term appointment with new ownership looking to escort them back to the top league.

In
Leon Dajaku (undisclosed, Union Berlin)
Daniel Ballard (undisclosed, Arsenal)
Jack Clarke (undisclosed, Tottenham Hotspur)
Aji Alese (undisclosed, West Ham United)

Out
Aiden McGeady (released)
Arbenit Xhemajli (released)
Jordan Willis (released)
Lee Burge (free, Northampton Town)
Will Grigg (released)

Finally, the Mackems escaped League One after it seemed much like the Blades, they were cemetery stuck in the third tier. Alex Neil got them past Wednesday and then MK Dons with a mixture of longer term players and some newer young talent such as Ross Stewart, Jack Clarke and Patrick Roberts. They have only made tweaks to the side that went up and will count on momentum and the huge fan base to ensure they are competitive.

They will of course be the best supported side in the league, overtaking us for average crowds (with Derby and Forest gone- only us, Norwich, Boro and West Brom will be the really well supported sides) and will take thousands away for every game which hugely helps them when they are doing well.

I do think they lack top quality at this level and even the aforementioned have to prove they can step up to a higher level. However that crowd is such a help and if they start the season well, another side who could go higher than where I’ve placed them. I worry that they lack the experience they need and may benefit from some old heads in defence/middle of the park.

Key Player: Ross Stewart

Rangy forward who could get behind defences and a good finisher too. He will be entrusted to lead the line again this season but may find the going a bit tougher.

I always wonder how/why Sunderland are so fantastically supported? Not a huge town and of course Newcastle close by. I get that the North East is a vast area with few other clubs but still the way they’ve built such a following, helped by the move to the Stadium of Light has to be applauded.

Verdict:
Seen some say they will contend at the too and others conversely say they may go straight back. I think somewhere in the middle is about right. Yes, I’m fence sitting.

15) Preston North End

Manager: Ryan Lowe

Growing reputation from his time at Bury and Plymouth, Lowe has worked his way up the leagues and made a decent start at Deepdale. He knows it will be very difficult to compete with the bigger spenders but also knows they can still surprise many sides.

In
Freddie Woodman (undisclosed, Newcastle United)
David Cornell (free, Peterborough United)
Robbie Brady (free, Bournemouth)
Ben Woodburn (free, Liverpool)
Troy Parrott (loan, Tottenham Hotspur) Alvaro Fernández (loan, Manchester United)

Out
Connor Ripley (released)
Ethan Walker (free, Blackburn Rovers)
Isaiah Brown (released)
Jack Baxter (released)
Jamie Thomas (released)
Joe Rafferty (released)
Joe Rodwell-Grant (released)
Mathew Hudson (released)
Paul Huntington (released)
Scott Sinclair (released)
Tom Barkhuizen (Derby County)
Tom Bayliss (free, Shrewsbury Town)
Josh Earl (free, Fleetwood Town)
Connor Ripley (free, Morecambe)

Another side hard to pitch who could be anywhere from the edge of the playoffs to where I have put them. They have made a few smart signings in Parrott and Brady who will give them more options at the top of the pitch and Woodman you expect to be the new number one after finally leaving St James Park after so many loan deals.

Preston always seems to be the club that will win, draw, lost almost all season (ok maybe not quite as clear cut in the sequential order of results) but do not seem a side that ever puts a big run of wins together but equally the same with losses.

Still feel mainstays like Alan Browne and Daniel Johnson are the keys to Preston remaining competing most weeks. Ryan Lowe is a good young manager who seems to be a good fit for North End. The squad lacks depth and spending power to maybe go a bit higher but equally I would not be shocked if they were to finish in the top half.

Key Player: Emil Riis Jakobsen

Loved a last-minute goal against the Blades to salvage a 2-2. He did very well in his first season in England, showing he could score in a range of ways. He will be counted on again to lead the line for PNE.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Why can’t all police at football/towns be like the lovely Preston constabulary? Great interaction on social media and friendly, non confrontational policing. It does work and our own local force could learn a lot from the way they supervise rather than police things on match day.

Verdict: Preston look like the classic Championship side and must be one of, if not the most long serving at this level. Do not expect that to change anytime soon.

14) Blackburn Rovers

Manager: Jon Dahl Tomasson

Tony Mowbray polarised opinion but he had Rovers right near the top for the first half of the season until a slump post Xmas saw them fall away. Both parties chose to move on with his contract up. The Tomasson appointment was a bit left field and those sort can go both ways. He had managed some smaller Dutch clubs and been Assistant Manager of his national team before doing well in a brief spell at Malmo. Still, he is unproven over here and is best known for an undistinguished spell at Newcastle in the 90’s.

In

Ethan Walker (free, Preston North End)
Callum Brittain (undisclosed, Barnsley)

Out
Joe Rothwell (released)
Bradley Johnson (free, MK Dons)
Jacob Davenport (released)
Harry Chapman (free, Bradford City)
Luke Brennan (released)
Connor McBride (released)
Sam Durrant (released)
Joe Nolan (released)
Antonis Stergiakis (free, Panetolikos)
Darragh Lenihan (free, Middlesbrough)
Ryan Nyambe (released)

Rovers probably over achieved last season buoyed by the goals of re-energised Brereton Diaz. 8th was still ahead of last pre season’s expectations but they have not only changed manager but lost key men Rothwell, Lenighan and Blades bound Khadra.

Only workmanlike Leon Brittain comes in from Barnsley and without additions to replace the above, it might be hard to repeat last season. Youngster John Buckley is an excellent talent and maybe enigma Bradley Dack may stay fit finally? Dylan Markandy came in from Spurs in January and will play a bigger part.

Expect to see them drop off and with Blackpool, Burnley and Preston all at the same level together since 1961, then typically that makes it harder for such clubs to yield positive results in so many ‘Derby’ fixtures.

Key Player: Ben Brereton Diaz

Brereton Diaz maintaining his goalscoring form will be vital for them to even be close to last seasons finish with a weaker squad on paper and a new coach to adjust to.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: More pointless facts here...Rovers are the only club to have won major trophies in 19th, 20th and 21st centuries and the only club to have founded and won both the Football League and Premier League. Blackburn are also the only town in England to have competed in the Champions League. Blackburn is also the only town to have been home to 2 different clubs to win the FA Cup.

Verdict:
Blackburn fans may see a bit more style but Mowbray’s pragmatic approach got them results. May take time and further recruitment for the incoming manager.

13) Huddersfield

Manager: Danny Schofield

Had a few caretaker spells with Town but has been thrust into a role with Corberan’s sudden departure. He will just want to keep the continuity going but I think even without the changes it would have been a tough ask to repeat a playoff place.

In

Will Boyle (free, Cheltenham Town)
David Kasumu (undisclosed, MK Dons)
Connor Mahoney (free, unattached)
Kyle Hudlin (undisclosed, Solihull Moors)
Jack Rudoni (undisclosed, AFC Wimbledon)
Yuta Nakayama (free, PEC Zwolle)
Tino Anjorin (loan, Chelsea)

Out
Josh Austerfield (loan, Harrogate Town)
Romoney Crichlow (loan, Bradford City)
Jaheim Headley (loan, Harrogate Town)
Alex Vallejo (released)
Reece Brown (free, Forest Green Rovers)
Jamal Blackman (Exeter)
Fraizer Campbell (released)
Naby Sarr (released)
Carel Eiting (released)
Kyle Hudlin (loan, AFC Wimbledon)
Lewis O'Brien, Harry Toffolo (£10m, Nottingham Forest)

Definitely the surprise packet of last season. They improved hugely defensively and after moving into the playoff spots, remained in the mix and went on long unbeaten runs with the miserly backline continuing to keep shut outs. Even in the play off final in a dour game they had two clear penalties waved away and on another day (if VAR had done their job) they could have gone up.

Sadly when a team does so well it sometimes creates issues and expectations rise for the manager, player and even fans. Corberan left just before the season amidst players moving on with O’Brien and Toffolo departing, annoyingly for the side that beat them to the Premier League prize money.

Coach Danny Schofield comes in but the surprise factor has gone along with those two key men. The new signings have all been lower league in the main. The defence will remain solid though with Lees and Pearson dependable veterans. Keeper Lee Nicholls had one if the best records in the league last year despite him being open to a fair few s**thouse timewaste tactics! Goals have been harder to come by with Ward and Rhodes being counted on which might be a concern without any reinforcements.

Key Player: Jon Russell

Tall, skilled midfielder with an eye for a goal. He was formerly in the Chelsea academy and now with O’Brien going will be expected to link with veteran Hogg in the middle of the park.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Admirable as it was Town winning three straight titles in the 1920’s, putting three stars on the shirt seeks grasping. Maybe we should celebrate our domination of the 1890’s with a picture of a pie on the below the back of the collar to commemorate Fatty Foulkes’ starring role in this side.

Verdict:
After losing Corberan, they will find it tough to remain in the upper echelons. Mid table feels about right. Will not score many but won’t concede many either!

12) Queens Park Rangers

Manager: Michael Beale

Warburton seemed a steady pair of hands but as with Mowbray (McCarthy at Ipswich before that) teams and fans demand something different and the young, up and coming coaches seems to be the fashion. Some will work. Some clearly will not. Beale was seen as the brains behind Gerrard in his managerial roles so far but being your own man us not the same (see Taylor, Peter. McClaren Steve. McCall, Stuart. Blackwell, Kevin). Apparently likes to be called Mick not Michael. Or Ian.

In

Jake Clarke-Salter (free, Chelsea)
Kenneth Paal (free, unattached)
Tyler Roberts (loan, Leeds United)
Taylor Richards (loan, Brighton & Hove Albion)

Out
Charlie Austin (released)
Dominic Ball (free, Ipswich Town)
Dillon Barnes (released)
David Marshall (free, Hibernian)
Lee Wallace (released)
Keiren Westwood (released)
Jordy de Wijs (undisclosed, Fortuna Dusseldorf)
Yoann Barbet (released)
Moses Odubajo (free, Aris Saloniki)
Charlie Kelman (loan, Leyton Orient)

Rangers flirted with the top 6 but then fell away long before the season ended and the Warburton departure seemed rather inevitable with his contract up. A few veterans moved on but they still have dependable players like Dickie, Johansen, Adomah and Dykes and creativity in Chair and Willock. Tyler Roberts should enjoy himself with more game time. Taylor Richards is someone who might surprise after a loan move from Brighton and offers something different in midfield.

Will rely on a solid home form at compact Loftus Road but the squad dies look small and they have to arrest the decline that set in at the end of last season. Much will depend on how quickly Beale can integrate his style. They always seemed quite direct under Warburton so be interesting if they try and play more football.

Key Player: Chris Willock

He suffered with injuries last season but has oodles of talent and will be counted on to provide goals and assists.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Rangers got some lovely and quite innovative Errea strips and the were paraded some time ago. Did we need a special type of material/colour?

Verdict:
Seem like another side that just scream ‘middle of the park.’

11) Swansea City

Manager: Russell Martin

To his credit, Martin stuck to his principles and kept Swansea playing out from the back with possession football even in the face of results not working (As Blades fans will testify). Expect that long term fans patience will be rewarded.

In

Ben Blythe (undisclosed, Doncaster Rovers)
Nathan Wood (undisclosed, Middlesbrough)
Harry Darling (undisclosed, MK Dons)
Matthew Sorinola (loan, Union SG)
Joe Allen (free, Stoke City)

Out
Korey Smith (free, Derby County)
Ben Hamer (released)
Yan Dhanda (released)
Josh Gould (released)
Jamie Searle (free, Barnsley)
Korey Smith (released)
Flynn Downes (£9.6m, West Ham United)
Jacob Jones (free, Forest Green Rovers)
Morgan Whittaker (loan, Plymouth Argyle)

I think it was always going to take time for Swansea to transition in styles and managers but slowly they started to get there even with some hefty bumps along the way. A double over Cardiff helped Martin’s popularity of course. They finished 15th and I’d expect with ball playing centre back Harry Darling coming in from Martin’s former club MK Dons and old favourite Joe Allen returning, they will push higher.

Piroe and Obafemi will provide the attacking spark and Manning, Cabanas and Bennett are solid defenders. The possession heavy style can be very effective but also relies on individuals not making mistakes as they play out from the back. Players should be more comfortable in the system and expect them to move through the thirds more effectively this season.

Key Player: Joel Piroe

Scored 24 goals with finishes from outside and inside the box. He did not get the acclaim of other forwards at this level but quietly he was prolific in his own right.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: I always wondered why Swansea were called, ‘The Jacks’ So I googled it. Apparently The first is a reference to the high reputation of local seamen (“Jack Tars”) in the early nineteenth century. The second is from a famous black retriever called Swansea Jack who rescued no fewer than 27 people from drowning in the River Tawe and Swansea Docks during the 1930s.

Verdict:
Maybe a bit short of a top 6 spot but I’d not be totally shocked if they were this seasons ‘Huddersfield.’

10) Stoke City

Manager: Michael O’ Neill

Another who divides opinion. He has been hampered by Premier League contracts, loss of parachute payments and FFP rules. Hard to pigeon hole him/them into a style really and you would think he would have to make a jump this season as 14th last time out was not great.

In

Aden Flint (free, Cardiff City)
Harry Clarke (loan, Arsenal)
Josh Laurent (free, Reading)
Liam McCarron (undisclosed, Leeds United)
Gavin Kilkenny (loan, Bournemouth)
Dwight Gayle (undisclosed, Newcastle United)
William Smallbone (loan, Southampton)

Out
Tommy Smith (released)
James Chester (free, Derby County)
Steven Fletcher (free, Dundee United)
Tom Ince (free, Reading)
Mario Vrancic (loan, Rijeka)
Alfie Doughty (undisclosed, Luton Town)
Christian Norton (released)
Tashan Oakley-Boothe (loan, Lincoln City)
Douglas James-Taylor (loan, Walsall)
Joe Allen (free, Swansea City)
Benik Afobe (undisclosed, Millwall) Will Forrester (Port Vale)

A club in the same circles as Preston and QPR that seem mired into mid table Championship boredom. Of course due to finances it must be hard to compete with those coming down and even some big clubs who come up from League One (like Sunderland).

Stoke have a decent and loyal fan base that understand that the club has had to move on burdensome contracts but will expect O’Neill to improve. Oddly the move towards younger players seems to have got confused as the have brought in Aiden Flint and Dwight Gayle. They are solid, experienced players but seem short term. The likes of Jacob Brown and incoming Will Smallbone give them enthusiasm and running.

There is quality in the side and Nick Powell, when fit, is still one of the better players at this level but the squad seems weaker in terms of half a dozen experienced players moving on. Jagielka still plays on but you’d be concerned if he was starting for us now.

Key Player: Dwight Gayle

Will score goals at this level and has somewhere he can call home after so many loans from Newcastle where he never got regular goals at the higher level.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: The Stoke badge is so dull. Literally just red and white stripes in a crest. The old one had a rope. It had a tower on it. No idea why but it was far better than this rubbish they currently have.

Verdict:
Feel with more expected, O’Neill will get more out of this group and Gayle will make a difference.

9) Luton Town

Manager: Nathan Jones

Never afraid to speak his mind, he is back at his spiritual home and got Town to the playoffs with a great, late run. His passion is clear and he seems to relish the underdog mentality. Can he take them on the next step without significant changes in the wage bill or funds to bring more quality In? Whatever happens, won’t be for the want of trying from the tight tracksuit bottomed Welsh man.

In
Alfie Doughty (undisclosed, Stoke City)
Cauley Woodrow (undisclosed, Barnsley)
Louie Watson (undisclosed, Derby County)
Ethan Horvath (loan, Nottingham Forest)
Luke Freeman (free, Sheffield United)
Carlton Morris (undisclosed, Barnsley)

Out
Elliot Lee (released)
Sam Beckwith (released)
Corey Panter (released)
Jake Peck (released)
Kal Naismith (free, Bristol City)
Danny Hylton (undisclosed, Northampton Town)
Peter Kioso (undisclosed, Rotherham United)
Josh Neufville (loan, Sutton United

Only minor changes to the squad after a fantastic season last time out. Jones deserves so much credit for what he did with a relatively small squad that competed against sides with far bigger budgets. They finished the season really strongly and ended up in the play-off places and it was a close contest against Huddersfield. They have a splattering of experience and some maybe unheralded young players like Reece Burke and Elijah Adebayo. Signed a pair of Barnsley forwards (Morris will do well) and ex Blade Luke Freeman but Naismith will be a big loss.

Luton will still continue to be a tight knit group that will get results and use that home advantage at Kenilworth Road to the fore. They know their strengths and Jones will ensure that he continues with his almost siege mentality that he seems to often show in his demeanour and interviews. They do lack out and out scorers and a few injuries could see them drop lower but I think that they will struggle to maintain the form of last season and the summer break in a strange way will hurt them as they had so much momentum.

Key Player: Allan Campbell

Full of energy and a proper box to box player who can set up others but equally come back and make a defensive tackle. He is not someone that gets all the plaudits but every time I saw Luton, I thought who is this red headed slightly balding lad that seemed to be everywhere?

Deadbat’s pointless thought: This is not a criticism but Luton, like Everton, seem to have been moving grounds for about 20 years? Hope for them it happens soon, as quaint as Kenilworth Road is. The name for the new stadium is not great though. Power Court sounds like a huge Tennis court that is being used as a breakaway from the mainstream Tennis tour, much like the LIV situation in Golf.

Verdict: Jones is relentless and that is why I cannot see them falling much but playoffs again will be a stretch.

8) Sheff Utd

Manager: Paul Heckingbottom

Did a superb job after the Jokanovic experiment was jettisoned very early and seemingly rightly so, considering Hecky’s impact after he came in. We surged up the league and the football we played was far better to the eye as we attacked quicker and with purpose. Gibbs White’s form was key of course but he got the best out of previously criticised performers such as Robinson and Foderingham. The defence was for the most part rock solid. We did trail off but injuries did not help and the final flourish (QPR 2nd half, Fulham and Forest 2nd leg) showed that he still had the players believing and we were very close to making the play off final if it was not for the brilliance of Brice Samba.

I am concerned that with expectations rising (due to how well he did – he has created this demand which is good) many fans just automatically expect us to be right near the top. I am not sure as a manager long term I am full convinced by him looking at how he has fared elsewhere but I love how he speaks and behaves and is a straight talker, much like Wilder was. Likeable bloke who I hope remains for the long term – he aligns with the ownership in terms of limited funds/bringing through young players and not rocking the boat. I am not sure I see him being here in a season (that is my big prediction). Either a poor start or a change of ownership might mean we have a different manager in 12 months. Once again you can come back and poke fun at that call which is based on little other than a hunch!

In
Tommy Doyle (loan, Manchester City)
Anel Ahmedhodzic (undisclosed, Malmo)
Ciaran Clark (loan, Newcastle United)

Reda Khadira (loan, Brighton & Hove Albion)

Out
David McGoldrick (free, Derby County)
Lys Mousset (released)
Luke Freeman (free, Luton Town)
Harry Boyes (loan, Forest Green Rovers)
Oliver Burke (undisclosed, Werder Bremen)
Jake Eastwood (loan, Ross County)
Harrison Neal (loan, Barrow)
Femi Seriki (loan, Rochdale)

Zak Brunt (loan, Borehamwood)

A strange few seasons where despite the dismal relegation and the affects of covid/closed stadiums/injuries/loss of form and poor signings creating the perfect storm, United were expected to bounce back. The squad was packed full of Championship experience and promotion winners but Jokanovic maybe tried to change too much (at least playing wise – I personally would have moved more personnel on but this was hard due to contracts) and it did not work. The style was slow and confusing and did not sit well. Fans did not turn on him really at all but the board moved quickly.

The move to install Heckingbottom and on a long-term contract, seemed confusing after they had gone down a different approach only months previously. However, it worked at least in the short term of last season and we surged up the league and nearly went up. We had a poor spell where form and results dipped a bit but injuries absolutely killed us and we had no real strikers to end the season. However, the trio of Gibbs White, Ndiaye and Berge sparkled and Sharp continued to thrive even in his mid-30’s. The usual playoff defeat was inevitable but we did have Forest on the ropes at the City Ground and most fans were quite proud of the side and manager despite them not achieving the goal of promotion.

Gibbs White’s departure was sad but expected. He will be tough to replace and maybe it will take a committee of attackers/number 10’s in the likes of Berge, Ndiaye and newcomers Doyle and Khadira to replace what he gave us in terms of goals, assists and sheer brilliance. Khadira was superb for Blackburn at the Lane but might be a typical flair player that has some great games and some indifferent and he might be used across a range of attacking positions. I am excited to see him as we have not had players like MGW, Ndiaye or him in recent years. Norwood still is very consistent at this level and still makes us tick despite the criticism he gets. Alongside him Fleck lacks consistency and fitness and might be the first season he is not as regular but that depends if newcomers Doyle, Coulibaly and youngster Arblaster can step up. I would still like another signing here (defensive, mobile ratter) but that is being greedy maybe?

Bogle when he comes back will be a huge boost attacking wise as much as defensively although we have a plethora of left backs/left wing backs and not sure any are as good as Bogle/Baldock on the other side and it will be case of who grabs the shirt. The defence was strengthened in terms of depth which after injuries you could say we needed to do. I would argue that we had the 4th best record defensively but scored 10/11 goals less than Forest and Bournemouth and 43 less than Fulham (granted that was the exact total Mitrovic scored!) so maybe needed to address the other end with more limited resources than we have had before financially? Ahmedhodzic looks a good signing if he can adapt to the rigours of the physical Championship but looks superb on the ball. Clark gives us cover on the left and the defence looks one of the strongest in the league in terms of starters and cover. We in theory should not be shipping lots of goals. Hope I am right.

I am concerned at the top of the field. Brewster seems to be the main man but he only really played well for a half dozen games in two seasons although this was at least some promise after him looking completely devoid of confidence/ability before this. I am still not sure us pinning our hopes on him as much as people seem to think he will be the main Khedira and scored tons of goals. Sharp is still so wily but is a year older and is now picking up injuries as you would expect. Will those two be enough (with a few of the attacking midfielders) to get us the goals we need? Jebbison/Osula look a way off yet and McBurnie is a complete bust who needs moving on (he will at least be released in the same way we got rid of the other poor signings Wilder made – Mousset, Freeman, Burke/C Robinson) in the Premier League. I would love a powerful striker who can hold the ball up actually and this could lead to goals from others behind and mean the lack of goal concern is addressed in other ways. Davis from Villa (who was superb against us for Forest) would be ideal but then there is the argument he does not score either I suppose?! I just think the ball may come back too much and the reliance on pretty triangles and stuff down the side (the bad Wilder ball) may be a source of frustration. I saw no clear pattern preseason and the loss of MGW who was almost our attack at times will hit us harder than many think. That’s the concerns.

The positives are we still have the likes of Egan, Basham, Norwood, Bogle, Sharp, Ndiaye and Berge. That’s 7 players that would get in almost every side at this level + a reliable keeper too and they have the experience and ability between them to ensure we will win more than we lose. We have real depth at the back (left back and centre backs) and players who can be plugged into different positions. There also seems to be some good young players coming through too (may need loan time – Arblaster, Osula and Jebbison) and Hecky/McCall/Lester will at least have had a proper pre season and time to put their plans together. Maybe we might get took over and whilst this can destabilise clubs, it can also invigorate clubs and if more spending power materialises as a result (as long as it is a cosher type investment – the American businessman appears quite the opposite) then that could give the manager the players he may need to push us close to automatic promotion. We will have big crowds every other week at the Lane and many clubs at this level would be jealous of our structure, fanbase and squad. I am almost talking myself into a higher position but just worry that we lack the forward power and legs in midfield. It is frustrating as two or three new players to address these concerns and we could be right in the mix for top two but seeing the likes of Osborn, Fleck and Stevens regularly involved still, is a worry as these are the sort of players we need to be moving on from. Harsh as it seems.

Still, we do have lots of positives and I think after last season’s awful start and style, we seem to have a bit clearer plan with a settled management team. I look at quite a poor division too and outside of the relegated trio, Boro and maybe West Brom, see the other two defeated playoff teams being weaker. Sure, there are some teams such as Millwall, Coventry, maybe Stoke who will push up and continue to improve but a far few ill drop off too I sense due to changing managers or losing key men.

My prediction is very conservative. Last season I picked us 4th place and was very close and part of me thinks similar again but I feel we will get off to a poor start again and then have to bring in reinforcements attacking wise again to ensure we can compete for the top 6 places.

Key Player: Sander Berge

On his day an absolute juggernaut and when he played in that attacking role, at times he was unstoppable as he finally found some fitness and consistency. Technically good, strong and deceptively quick over a short distance, he added assists and goals to his repertoire. Worryingly managers keep trying him further back or as the holding/Norwood type. His best assets and the attributes that worry the opposition are his ability to break into the box and link play up the top of the pitch. Keep him there! If he remains (some rumoured interest being mooted from Brentford, Leeds and Leicester) then he will one of the best players in the league.

Will Khadira be the next Steve Kabba or Paul Ifil– who did well against United in games and then carried on for the most part when we signed them to much fanfare or will he go the same way as messrs Britton, Howard, Harper and McBurnie who have not found the form they showed against us, for us!

Verdict:
This 8th pick is a negative, pessimistic prediction based on years of United letting us down BUT I believe I have argued my prognosis above. I hope and pray I am wrong. I do firmly believe if we sign the two types of players or simply improve the attacking options, we would push into the top 6. My overriding feeling is MGW was that good and I also have a nagging feeling Berge may go. Without those two are we much different to 7 or 8 other sides outside of those coming down? I will be glad to come back to this prediction in May and hope I was miles off (in terms of us finishing higher not lower).

7) Millwall

Manager: Gary Rowett

Never been totally sold on Rowett and he seems to hang around this level and always finds a club despite his early promise seemingly petering out. Always seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder when he speaks but maybe it’s because of people like me writing the above! He does get his teams relatively organised (*dull?!) and Millwall as much as it is a cliché do like to get it forward and get balls in the ‘mixer’ but with height and physicality then it makes sense.

In
Zian Flemming (£2.6m, Fortuna Sittard)
George Honeyman (undisclosed, Hull City)
Charlie Cresswell (loan, Leeds United)
Benik Afobe (undisclosed, Stoke City)
Jamie Shackleton (loan, Leeds United)

Out
Alex Pearce (free, AFC Wimbledon)
Connor Mahoney (released)
Mahlon Romeo (free, Cardiff City)
Maikel Kieftenbeld (free, Emmen)
Dan Moss (free, Woking)
Jed Wallace (free, West Bromwich Albion)
Zak Lovelace (free, Rangers)
Jayden Davis (free, Crawley Town)

Finished 9th last season and have lost key man Jed Wallace but in a weaker league and with a few smart signings. Flemming will give them something as a creative goalscoring threat and as irritating as he is, Honeyman is a really smart piece of business. Afobe is a handful up top. Cresswell and Shackleton both played a fair bit at Leeds. There overall transfer window was really solid and even with the loss of Wallace, they will still be around the playoff places.

Tyler Burey is a promising young player too and of course they have solid defenders like gulp…Jake Cooper and Murray Wallace too. Lack that depth of course but the home advantage is big and means it is a very tough place to go and get a result. They might not be the slickest side to watch but are effective and will continue to be so.

Key Player: Zian Flemming

Comes in from 28 games scored 12 goals and 4 assists in a decent side in the Dutch league

Has anyone ever seen Huski chocolate? Does it exist? What does it taste like? Someone tell me.

Verdict:
They might even sneak in the top 6 but will be a solid top 10 side no doubt.

6) Burnley

Manager: Vincent Kompany

In

Scott Twine (undisclosed, MK Dons)
Luke McNally (£1.8m, Oxford United)
CJ Egan Riley (free, Manchester City)
Taylor Harwood-Bellis (loan, Manchester City)
Samuel Bastien (£720k, Standard Liege)
Josh Cullen (£2.7m, Anderlecht)
Ian Maatsen (loan, Chelsea)
Arijanet Muric (undisclosed, Manchester City)

Out
Ben Mee (free, Brentford)
Aaron Lennon (released)
James Tarkowski (free, Everton)
Phil Bardsley (released)
Dale Stephens (released)
Erik Pieters (released)
Joel Mumbongo (released)
Richard Nartey (released)
Anthony Glennon (free, Grimsby Town)
Anthony Gomez Mancini (released)
Nick Pope (£10.4m, Newcastle United)
Lukas Jensen (loan, Accrington Stanley)
Wout Weghorst (loan, Besiktas)
Nathan Collins (£20.5m, Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Wayne Hennessey (free, Nottingham Forest)

These may seem quite low for a relegated side but I look at West Brom last season and feel it is not as cut and dry the teams going down will always come straight back now. I also look at Burnley’s exit list and the departures of so many key performers that provided the spine of the side in Pope, Mee, Collins, Tarkowski.

Cork, Westwood and Brownhill are the sort of solid Norwood/Fleck (of a few years ago) solid Championship midfielders. Cullen will help that as well and could light up this league but Twine is interesting as he seems to be someone who looks like he can step up. Two young lads at Man City are excellent additions too and Maatsen did well at Coventry. Muric will replace Pope in goal.

The recruitment has been really good but I just think the solid defenders they have lost were so good that it will be hard for them to be do dependable. I also think Kompany will take time to adjust to this level and no one knows what he can do really? I think they still have a very good squad and do not see the drop off that many have envisaged but cannot see them being in the automatic places. I also expect Cornet and McNeil to move on and that is a big chunk of their creativity gone, if they do depart.

Key Player: Scott Twine

The top end of the field still had the likes of Barnes, Rodriguez and Vydra who at this level will be very strong but Twine is the marquee striker signing and he will get the chance to prove himself at the higher level. Can take a great free kick and technically very good, I expect him to make the step up fairly comfortably.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Do Burnley have the most animals on their badge? I can count two bees, a stork (I think) and a lion? No idea what any of them mean but seems an unusually high number of animals for one badge. Can anyone beat it – don’t give me three lions – I need different animals/reptiles/birds? If anyone answers this, I will be amazed. If anyone is still reading, I am equally amazed.

Verdict:
If Dyche was still here, I would have said Champions even with the losses but it will take time to adapt to new coaching methods.

5) West Brom

Manager: Steve Bruce

I am not a huge fan of Steve Bruce at all. He is another that seems to keep getting jobs and often without real success in recent years but lives off his reputation from the past. If he was not in charge and I looked at this squad and forget the drop off last season, then I would think these would be right near the playoffs and maybe even the top two. However, I will counter and say he is still an experienced manager and having had a decent time period to assess and stamp his mark, he will have a better idea of what he needs to do.

In
Jayson Molumby (undisclosed, Brighton & Hove Albion)
John Swift (free, Reading)
Jed Wallace (free, Millwall)
Okay Yokuslu (free, Celta Vigo)

Out
Andy Carroll (released)
Sam Johnstone (free, Crystal Palace)
Romaine Sawyers (undisclosed, Cardiff City)
Callum Morton (undisclosed, Fleetwood Town)
Jamie Soule (released)
Quevin Castro (loan, Burton Albion)
Josh Griffiths (loan, Portsmouth)
Cedric Kipre (loan, Cardiff City)
Caleb Taylor (loan, Cheltenham Town)

They should have been in the top 6 last season with the squad they had but the new manager’s excellent start fell off a cliff and the fans realised they did not fancy have aching necks as the direct style quickly irked them when results dropped off. Bruce was a poor and short-term appointment and the change did not have the affect the owners hoped but now they have him, they are rolling with him. They seemed to lack any kind of spine and I recall the game at the Lane when we got stuck in and they sort of gave up? They have lots of quality players still and added two superb midfielders in Wallace and Swift, who do not seem like Bruce type players but have clearly chucked a few pounds at them to entice them to the Hawthorns as both arguably could have played even higher.

They have a bit of a mixed bag up front in terms of Grant, Robinson and Dike who are all inconsistent and the defence with Bartley and Ajayi at the heart can score goals from set plays but ship a lot at the other end due to switching off. The keeping situation also would concern me as Button and youngster Palmer will fight for the spot after Sam Johnstone moved on. The frustration of Bruce in terms of him being quite methodical and lacking in style/creativity, also are strangely his strengths as his sides still normally do not concede much and get results. It did not really happen last season but expect him to be more ‘Bruce’ like this season and they will push for the top 6 with those two excellent midfield signings the key.

Key Player: Darrell Dike

Swift and Wallace may be the eye-catching signings but Dike will be counted on towards the top of the pitch to recreate his form at Barnsley. He will need to stay fit but offers power and maybe the threat behind that the inconsistent Robinson and Grant do not.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: I always thought West Brom were called the Baggies but wrongly assumed it was around baggy shorts they used to wear. Not so. In its early days The Hawthorns had only two entrances, one behind each goal. On match days the gatekeepers would gather up the takings at each end and be escorted by policemen along the sides of the pitch to the centre line where there was a small office under the stand. The gate money, mostly in pennies, amounted to a considerable sum and was carried in large cloth bags. It wasn't long before some wag in the crowd started shouting "here come the bag men!" at their appearance in front of the main stand, and this developed into a chant of "here come the Baggies!", giving the team its unofficial nickname. Maybe we could be called the Woolhousers? Allegedly.

Verdict:
As I type this, maybe even 6th seems a bit of a stretch but I feel that the signings they have made and a very solid (dull) manager means that they will be in the mix.

4) Coventry

Manager: Mark Robins

Robins is rightly heralded as being the best City manager in recent times. After bouncing around a few clubs, he is now an experienced manager that clearly knows that he is doing and has got the Sky Blues back up the Championship (they were in League Two not so long ago) and they are more than competitive here and even had a dalliance with the play off places for a period last season. His sides play decent football, he recruits well and they are an upwardly mobile outfit but that is down to him.

In
Kasey Palmer (undisclosed, Bristol City)
Callum Doyle (loan, Manchester City)
Jonathan Panzo (loan, Nottingham Forest)

Out
Jordan Shipley (undisclosed, Shrewsbury Town)
Jodi Jones (released)
Josh Pask (released)
Declan Drysdale (undisclosed, Newport County)

Coventry will be this season’s Huddersfield but to be honest they were not far away last season. They have a team that now knows that they are capable of and are superbly led by Robins. They seemed to score last minute winners every other week and their fitness levels seem remarkably high and better than many at this level. They do not have a very deep squad but the side they have is full of very underrated players who maybe now are getting the recognition they deserve and attracting more interest. The midfield of O’Hare, Hamer and Kelly are very good and can tackle, run and create. O’Hare is superb at running from deep and technically excellent. He may eventually move on so City fans need to enjoy him while they can.

At the back they do not have anyone you would think wow in terms of potential to go on and even play higher but the likes of former Blades Moore and McFadzean are just dependable most weeks. They have done little business incoming but it was more important they held onto what they had and at time of writing they did that.

Key Player: Viktor Gyokeres

Along with Khadra and Davis (Forest) he may have been one of the best players we saw against United last season. In the drubbing of the Blades, he was superb and gave Egan and co the run around. Powerful, mobile and can finish. He is a player that seems like he could go on and play at a higher level and only just turned 24 so still time on his side.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: I do wonder if those two Coventry fans that wear big hats (long hair, taches and look like an 80’s comedy duo from Saturday night ITV TV) and always sit on the front row are liked? Similar to the bare-chested Tango at Wednesday or that Portsmouth fan who rings the bell? I would guess that would be seen as part of your club’s history but rather irritating. I also wonder if they replace their big hats regularly and if they have a rotation policy of said headwear or it is a season ‘wear/replace’ sort of job?

Verdict: Might seem a touch high but I realty rate Robins. Motivator, tactically savvy and understated. He never seems to come out and utter rubbish or beat his chest. Just gets on with it. They might be a bit lower but if things click and they carry on last season, then playoffs for me.

3) Middlesbrough *Playoff winners

Manager: Chris Wilder

United’s fans relationship with Wilder is an odd one. Most love what he did for us and rightly he is seen as one of the greatest managers we ever had. The togetherness he forged means he was revered and rightly so. However, the way it ended (yes, we do not know the full facts) and the money he squandered on absolute tosh may have ironically meant it will be hard to get us back up to the level he remarkably took us to. I think time is a great heal and some of the chippy, bitterness he shows may be forgotten. I now look back more fondly than I did 12 months ago. I think if the Prince was not here or he was in a different league, feelings would be more straight forward. Now there is still some sort of rivalry or feeling of he could be still here? I don’t know – it is so odd he polarises opinion considering the phenomenal job he did here but I am probably one of those who had mixed opinions. I should not. He was amazing but you cannot keep how you feel. Anyway, I digress. He was and still is a great manager. He is stubborn and maybe lacks some flexibility but he gets teams playing and gets the best out of many. He has done this at so many clubs and until they fell away, he got them flying up the league. I expect them to be right amongst the top now he has a full season. Squad wise not sure they have as much as some of the other sides round here so that shows how much I and others should rightly rate him and Knill as a management team.

In
Liam Roberts (free, Northampton Town)
Ryan Giles (loan, Middlesbrough)
Darragh Lenihan (free, Blackburn Rovers)
Zack Steffen (loan, Manchester City)
Marcus Forrss (Brentford)
Out
Sol Bamba (released)
Lee Peltier (released)
Neil Taylor (released)
Nathan Wood (undisclosed, Swansea City)
Toyosi Olusanya (free, St Mirren)
Joe Lumley (loan, Reading)
Sammy Ameobi (released)
Dejan Stojanovic (undisclosed, Jahn Regensburg)
Sol Brynn (loan, Swindon Town)
Martin Payero (loan, Boca Juniors)
Djed Spence (£13.2m, Tottenham Hotspur)
Grant Hall (loan, Rotherham United)

Not seen many tip them to be outside the top 6 and I am no different. A few have them going straight up but most have them 3rd-6th. I am no different. Wilder is good. Very good. He maybe did not quite get them over the line last season and will have been disappointed at a bit of a fade out but maybe they put so much into getting up the league, they just ran out of gas at the end. His style was starting to become implanted and the attacking football they showed was quite different to that the Boro fans has seen under Neil Warnock but then it became a bit patchy at the end and some drab defeats took the shine off the rise and they frittered away a solid play off spot in the final few games.

The business has been relatively quiet and to say they finished 7th last season, you would think he may have done a bit more but there is still time and I expect a striker or two to come in before the end of the window. Stefan is an upgrade on the error prone Lumley in goal and Lenighan is a player Wilder has lusted after for a long time. Giles gives them legs in midfield. They have so far held onto Tavernier. Isiah Jones was superb last season and allowed them to cash in on Spence, valuable funds that may help them net that striker (wages on loan from the Premier League). * signed Forss from Brentford

Wilder has promotion know how and if he is backed to get a few more in, then they will be the side that will push the relegated sides the most (*if United get a few in we could contest them in that regard).

Key Player: Paddy McNair
The Boro Basham. Solid, dependable who can defend, come out with the ball and score goals too. Just a Wilder type of player.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: I saw that our former manager had put his house up for sale (my wife has an odd hobby of scanning properties in right move even though we are not looking to move). Interesting abode with lots of space, rooms but also bad taste. Namely the garnish animal print stuff around his gaff and also the OTT number of photos of himself (and wife(. Who puts pictures (wedding/family) of themselves up all over their family home? Come on, own up! Weird if you ask me. Bad enough seeing my ugly mug in the few mirrors we possess so no idea why you’d want more pictures of yourself. I digress. Wit his estate agent pal needs to have a word. Poor, cluttered decor can mean you won’t get the full value.

Verdict:
Wish I could put them lower as a rival and the Wilder thing is still there despite the romping win, we had and time elapsing, but sadly they will still be right up there again and probably even closer. Would not shock me if they went up as Playoff winners.

2) Watford

Manager: Rob Edwards

Different type of appointment going away from the continental merry go round they have had before and maybe they might be going down a more long-term approach. Seems quite a brave move and appointing a lower league coach/manager with a good reputation deserves some credit. He will have more expectation than at Forest Green but he has a squad packed full of quality.

In

Vakoun Issouf Bayo (£5.2m, Charleroi)
Rey Manaj (undisclosed, Barcelona)

Out
Ben Foster (released)
Nicolas Nkoulou (released)
Andre Gray (free, Aris Saloniki)
Juraj Kucka (released)
Cucho Hernandez (undisclosed, Columbus Crew)
Joshua King (free, Fenerbahce)
Daniel Phillips (released)
Adam Parkes (released)
Philip Zinckernagel (undisclosed, Olympiacos)
Moussa Sissoko (£1.8m, Nantes)
Jorge Segura (loan, Independiente Medellin)
Adam Masina (undisclosed, Udinese)

Kiko Femina (Villareal)

Derek Agyakwa (Port Vale)

Watford made a right mess of things again last season with managerial changes again, a strange approach to recruitment and to how they played. They had the odd good result but for the most part just kind of limped to relegation and were long gone before the end of the season.

The expected exodus of some of the talented players has not really happened. Sarr, Pedro and Dennis remain and they have some really solid top end Championship/lower end Premier League players. There are oodles of technical ability and if they can mix it up and are solid defensively then they will be just too talented for many sides. They have a look of Fulham (without the Mitrovic) in that they could crash and burn but in a poor division, even with a new manager and some leaving, they have kept enough to be right hp there.

Bayo comes in as a new striker from Belgium but not many incomings and a few have moved on but a number have stayed and they might have the biggest squad depth at this level, at least before the window.

Key Player: Ismaila Sarr

Think Gibbs White in ability/impact and how he has stayed is a mystery? Maybe he might go before the end of the window but if he does not then he will rip up this league.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Elton John played two homecoming concerns at Vicarage Road this summer. I always wonder why we have not got some of our United linked musicians to perform at the Lane. It has certainly been a long time since Springsteen. We have had the Boxing recently and of course this summer would have been tricky with the Euros but surely Paul Heaton, Def Leppard or even Red-Hot Chilli Peppers should be approached. Seems a win-win for both performer and the club? We make money, they perform at their home ground (ok pushing it with Flea but he is clearly a fan!) and it’s good for the city? The Lane has the England u21’s and I would say it cannot be long till we might even get a full England men game after the success of the Women’s’ team and the semi final so let’s maximise the exposure of the best stadium in the world!

Verdict: Too much talent remains.
Maybe lack the clear plan on or off the field but if the players I discussed remain even till January that could be enough for them. It’s a boring pick but a scan of the squad means it is hard to see them not being close.

1) Norwich City

Manager: Dean Smith

Like Bruce, not sure I rate him as a manger and another that is quite irritating. Not sure why but like Wilder, always seems a bit chippy. I was surprised he moved there so soon after leaving Villa but maybe knew he would not get a job like this for some time if he waited. Fans felt City got worse after he took over and that is a concern but not sure anyone would have saved him. Needs a fast start but this season is when he will be properly assessed.

In

Isaac Hayden (loan, Newcastle United)
Gabriel Sara (£9.5m, Sao Paulo)

Out
Lukas Rupp (released)
Josip Drmic (released)
Josh Giurgi (released)
Aston Oxborough (released)
Nelson Khumbeni (released)
Reece McAlear (released)
Matt Dennis (undisclosed, MK Dons)
Rocky Bushiri (undisclosed, Hibernian)
Dan Adshead (undisclosed, Cheltenham Town)
Akin Famewo (undisclosed, Sheffield Wednesday)
Przemyslaw Placheta (loan, Birmingham City)
Flynn Clarke (loan, Walsall)
Bali Mumba (loan, Plymouth Argyle)
Christoph Zimmermann (undisclosed, SV Darmstadt 98)
Christos Tzolis (loan, FC Twente)
Pierre Lees-Melou (£2.1m, Brest)

City are my pick as Champions. They may have once again been way out of their depth at the higher level but this also means they keep the bulk of the squad that came up last time. They do not have Buendia but the rest are still here and is the division weaker than when they were last here? I would say so.

Most of the players leaving were fringe or young players and conversely there has not been much incoming so it is almost the same squad as the one that ended the season but Gabriel Sala is an eye-catching signing that gives them extra creativity alongside former Blade Kieran Dowell. The backline shipped goals at the higher level but the likes of Hanley, Gibson, Aarons and the keepers Gunn and Krul are solid for this level. Isaac Hayden is a defensive midfielder that I would have loved at the Lane as he does the nasty stuff and stops teams coming through you routinely. Todd Cantwell is back and it is a big season after losing his way and not really impressing on loan at Bournemouth after being linked with clubs much higher a season ago. Young striker Adam Idah needs to take a step up now and make a proper claim to partner Pukki but it depends how City set up as often Dowell plays as a lone striker with others supporting him.

City have a very loyal and large fan base and are a well-run club even if many will say the going up/coming down approach might be tiresome to Canaries fans and maybe even general football fans. However, without investment it is hard to see what they can do differently. IF they took the approach of Villa or Forest this year and spent big on wages/signings and it did not work, they would be in a real mess and you look at the likes of Sunderland and Portsmouth and that is not a business plan to follow and could lead to a far worse situation that the last few years which at least has some excitement/success every other year and yields a lot of financial reward too.

Key Player: Teemu Pukki
Will once again score a bundle at this level and be right at the top of the divisional scoring list. Never relied on his pace particularly but a poacher and clever player, much like our own Billy Sharp.

Deadbat’s pointless thought: Norwich have two absolute beauties for kits. The home’s pin stripes oozes class. The red and gold away is a bobby dazzler too. Look simple, elegant but modern too.

Verdict: Like with Burnley and Dyche, if Norwich had Farke, I would not even debate this pick but even though I wavered between putting them maybe 3rd or 4th and top two, I just feel the squad, the ability to know how to go up and the fanbase means they will yo-yo back again. Probably to come back down next season too!

So there we have it...feel free to pin it/remember these and say I told you so in a few months. I do think with a few key signings we could easily be 4th or 5th but without them reckon it will be another slow start and playing catch up/relying on smart windows to get back in contention.

As for the other leagues...

Premier League

1) Man City

2) Liverpool

3) Chelsea

4) Spurs

Relegated

18) Leeds

19) Fulham

20) Bournemouth

FA Cup – Chelsea

League Cup – Spurs

Champions League – PSG

League One

Promoted: Sheff Weds (sorry they’ve recruited well), Wycombe, Peterborough

Relegated: Shrewsbury, Port Vale, Fleetwood, Morecambe

League Two

Promoted: Mansfield, Bradford, Salford and Northampton

Relegated: Barrow, Stevenage

Regards,

Deadbat –

@Deadbat_DB

Looking through it all I'm quite sure Preston and Swansea won't be far away

I'm not over positive and share doubts about Hecky.... but I still struggle to see us outside the top 6 this season

Good effort DB as always and agree with most of what you have said about us. I went for 8th last season. I'm a little more optimistic so going for 7th :D. Its baffling we haven't gone for a striker. Spot on about Brewster. He's coming back from an injury and hasn't pulled up any trees in 2 years. Too much expectation on him. Scoring 10 goals and remaining injury free would be a good season for him.

For me where we finish will depend on the formation we play. The positive 3-4-2-1 v the insipid flat 3, 3-5-2. Whether Berge remains and is interested enough to remain will also be key. He has to play as a 10. Onto our midfield and lack of legs and movement. Watching Burnleys fluid pass and move football in midfield last night reminded me of what we are missing. There are some green shoots here with the potential of Arblaster and Coulibaly as they go past players but I fear starting with the cumbersome 3-5-2 will set us back like it did last season. As for the elusive DM maybe we already have one in Anel.

PH has done well but was out thought tactically by Cooper, Robins and Mowbray last year. Two of them have left the division but the conundrum of changing shape early to overcome Norwood being pressed out of the game remains.

Doyle and Khedra are good signings and need to be integrated into the team asap when fit.

We've had a less than impressive pre season IMO and are dicing with fate hoping Wes doesn't get injured in the first month. He also isn't match sharp having only played 2 games. We've always done well following a good start. We'll be able to judge what the season holds for us after August.

As for your other predictions I'd swap Reading with Hull and Millwall with Coventry. Millwall who we meet next week look to have the ability to make the top 6.

I think it all comes down to how well Khadra and Doyle and N’Diaye replace Gibbs-White’s contribution.

I look at it a slightly different way.

United were the second best team that didn’t go up last season.

Huddersfield have lost 2 key players and not really replaced with any significance and therefore I see them worse off than us.

Have Millwall improved to leapfrog over us? I’d say they are net flat, losing one decent player, gaining another albeit new to the league.

Luton have also lost Naismith and whilst they are smartly managed, anyone who has Freeman as a starter after he was so peripheral with us isn’t in a better spot.

Are Boro better? They recruited Lenihan but Fry was decent anyway so I see them defensively as flat. I think Giles will mean they are good from both sides but Forss doesn’t convince me as settling the issue of goalscoring and Tavernier moving means their midfield looks very journeyman like.

So I see United as top 4. I think a lot depends on when the vultures have finished circling on the relegated teams.

Burnley have lost or are resigned to losing Pope, Tarkovsky, Mee, Collins, Weghorst, McNeil, Vydra, Lennon, Peters and soon Cornet. That will be raising them a good 65-70m. I just don’t see who scores their goals. Barnes is a 1 in 5 career striker, their first choice midfield has a 1 in 10 look at best. The way they lined up yesterday was lacking height at the back and a savvy team can take advantage of that. I think they’ll start ok but I think they’ll be be found out in front of goal.

Watford and Norwich were abject. The fact neither of them could relegate a porous Leeds team is shameful in itself. The points total of 22 and 23 showed they were woefully short all season.

Norwich you get used to tipping. Pukki is still of an age to be a scorer at this level. I worry for their midfield however which looks decidedly average and workmanlike. They will miss Burundia. Their defence has been used to shipping goals and I’m not sure one that does all of a sudden becomes tight in the space of a pre season. They’ve signed nobody to help this and only the drop in level is what they are hoping will improve it. I think their success depends on three things - does Soro come in, settle quickly and prove to be the next Buendia? Does Cantrell get anywhere near his prior form? Can they get some eventual defensive solidity?

Watford are the team that I see still undergoing change. They lost Cucho who has already gone on to score 4 in 4 in the MLS. They also lost Josh King, surprisingly let Zinkernagal leave after being promoted and lost the experience of Foster and Sissoko. They’ve bought in 1 in 4 Menaj from Barcelona reserves and Bayo who I remember being garbage at Celtic. Bachmann started to emerge so they might not miss Foster so much, though he was tipped to join Man U at one point. I don’t see anything outstanding about their defence and Cathcart is knocking on a bit now, though others could say the same of Bash. Dele-Bashiru and Louza add youth to the experience of Cleverly and Gosling whose best years are behind them, but make a serviceable midfield. Sarr, Joao Pedro and Dennis makes them a challenging proposition. But didn’t we think that of Brewster, McBurnie and Sharp? They ability to keep these will be key. Right now I’d see them as top. Once Sarr and Dennis go and they start to rely on Bayo then their place in the top two isn’t so secure. Not a good time to play them though you could argue not a great team for them to be facing first up either.

So what of United? No worse off keeper wise if Davies recovers in time. Defensively, last season we were forced to rely on Seriki, Osborn and Gordon in a tough period. Now we have Lowe, Ahmedhodzic and Clark as more seasoned options. The ability to change players, absorb injuries is now there without impacting the quality. In midfield and attack the question in just around replacing Gibbs-White’s influence. With Billy and Brewster I think we will have a consistent forward option at the top of the pitch. McBurnie may even surprise us and it wouldn’t be unexpected for Jebbison or Osula to be a wildcard. In terms of supply, Khadra, N’Diaye and Berge I think will help to replace Gibbs-White as a collective. My concern would be if Norwood loses form or gets injured as he is instrumental to how we play. I’m not convinced he has the right partner but that is for Fleck, Doyle, Arblaster, Coulibaly and Osborn to fight for. You’d hope one of them can. Doyle seemed a creative influence at Cardiff so maybe these two hit it off and dominate games. Maybe Coulibaly continues to improve. For us I think getting the settled midfield will be the key factor. Ideally Fleck shows his best but he’s also a notorious slow starter. If Watford lose the odd star name and Norwich don’t find early momentum I think the opportunity may well be there for United to go up automatically.

My top 6 would be:
Watford
Norwich
United
Burnley
Boro
West Brom

With departures at Watford opening up a slot in the top two potentially.

I also think the schedule to the World Cup will be intriguing. Once clubs start losing 4 or 5 players then I think United are far better placed than most to absorb.

Last edited:
I think it all comes down to how well Khadra and Doyle and N’Diaye replace Gibbs-White’s contribution.

I look at it a slightly different way.

United were the second best team that didn’t go up last season.

Huddersfield have lost 2 key players and not really replaced with any significance and therefore I see them worse off than us.

Have Millwall improved to leapfrog over us? I’d say they are net flat, losing one decent player, gaining another albeit new to the league.

Luton have also lost Naismith and whilst they are smartly managed, anyone who has Freeman as a starter after he was so peripheral with us isn’t in a better spot.

Are Boro better? They recruited Lenihan but Fry was decent anyway so I see them defensively as flat. I think Giles will mean they are good from both sides but Forss doesn’t convince me as settling the issue of goalscoring and Tavernier moving means their midfield looks very journeyman like.

So I see United as top 4. I think a lot depends on when the vultures have finished circling on the relegated teams.

Burnley have lost or are resigned to losing Pope, Tarkovsky, Mee, Collins, Weghorst, McNeil, Vydra, Lennon, Peters and soon Cornet. That will be raising them a good 65-70m. I just don’t see who scores their goals. Barnes is a 1 in 5 career striker, their first choice midfield has a 1 in 10 look at best. The way they lined up yesterday was lacking height at the back and a savvy team can take advantage of that. I think they’ll start ok but I think they’ll be be found out in front of goal.

Watford and Norwich were abject. The fact neither of them could relegate a porous Leeds team is shameful in itself. The points total of 22 and 23 showed they were woefully short all season.

Norwich you get used to tipping. Pukki is still of an age to be a scorer at this level. I worry for their midfield however which looks decidedly average and workmanlike. They will miss Burundia. Their defence has been used to shipping goals and I’m not sure one that does all of a sudden becomes tight in the space of a pre season. They’ve signed nobody to help this and only the drop in level is what they are hoping will improve it. I think their success depends on three things - does Soro come in, settle quickly and prove to be the next Buendia? Does Cantrell get anywhere near his prior form? Can they get some eventual defensive solidity?

Watford are the team that I see still undergoing change. They lost Cucho who has already gone on to score 4 in 4 in the MLS. They also lost Josh King, surprisingly let Zinkernagal leave after being promoted and lost the experience of Foster and Sissoko. They’ve bought in 1 in 4 Menaj from Barcelona reserves and Bayo who I remember being garbage at Celtic. Bachmann started to emerge so they might not miss Foster so much, though he was tipped to join Man U at one point. I don’t see anything outstanding about their defence and Cathcart is knocking on a bit now, though others could say the same of Bash. Dele-Bashiru and Louza add youth to the experience of Cleverly and Gosling whose best years are behind them, but make a serviceable midfield. Sarr, Joao Pedro and Dennis makes them a challenging proposition. But didn’t we think that of Brewster, McBurnie and Sharp? They ability to keep these will be key. Right now I’d see them as top. Once Sarr and Dennis go and they start to rely on Bayo then their place in the top two isn’t so secure. Not a good time to play them though you could argue not a great team for them to be facing first up either.

So what of United? No worse off keeper wise if Davies recovers in time. Defensively, last season we were forced to rely on Seriki, Osborn and Gordon in a tough period. Now we have Lowe, Ahmedhodzic and Clark as more seasoned options. The ability to change players, absorb injuries is now there without impacting the quality. In midfield and attack the question in just around replacing Gibbs-White’s influence. With Billy and Brewster I think we will have a consistent forward option at the top of the pitch. McBurnie may even surprise us and it wouldn’t be unexpected for Jebbison or Osula to be a wildcard. In terms of supply, Khadra, N’Diaye and Berge I think will help to replace Gibbs-White as a collective. My concern would be if Norwood loses form or gets injured as he is instrumental to how we play. I’m not convinced he has the right partner but that is for Fleck, Doyle, Arblaster, Coulibaly and Osborn to fight for. You’d hope one of them can. Doyle seemed a creative influence at Cardiff so maybe these two hit it off and dominate games. Maybe Coulibaly continues to improve. For us I think getting the settled midfield will be the key factor. Ideally Fleck shows his best but he’s also a notorious slow starter. If Watford lose the odd star name and Norwich don’t find early momentum I think the opportunity may well be there for United to go up automatically.

My top 6 would be:
Watford
Norwich
United
Burnley
Boro
West Brom

With departures at Watford opening up a slot in the top two potentially.

I also think the schedule to the World Cup will be intriguing. Once clubs start losing 4 or 5 players then I think United are far better placed than most to absorb.

Some excellent points. I do think management/coaching is very important though and gets forgotten somewhat when people like me/you assess personnel and players. West Brom would do better wihout Bruce. Rowett is annoying but perfect for Millwall. Jones/Wilder/Robins are excellent managers and have the edge over Hecky.

1. Burnley
2. West Brom
3. Watford
4. Coventry
5. Blades
6. Sunderland
7. Boro
8. Norwich
9. Millwall
10 Swansea
11. Luton
12. Stoke
13. Preston
14. Bristol City
15. Hull
16. Cardiff
17. Huddersfield
18. Blackburn
19. QPR
20. Wigan
21. Blackpool
22. Rotherham
23. Reading
24. Birmingham

Good review.
Realistic summary on blades. Though I'd go 7th. 2 points shy of playoffs, though it's a very open season. Any 6 of say 14 clubs could fill the end of season business spots.

Great write up Deadbat. Inthink u r too conservative on us. We definitely have a stronger defence than.last season. I think Ndiaye can step into MGWs shoes and if Berge stays we look at least as strong in midfield.
The debate for me is up front. My optimism is.based (maybe incorrectly) on Brewster coming good and Jebbo being a revelation!

Not sure why most are so negative on Burnley.v the other 2 relegated sides (Roy excluded). They finished a lot of points clear of Norwich and Watford.last season and although they have lost a few players I think they will surprise a lot of people.

Good review, bit negative on us blades, though I can understand why after a lot of what's been happening over the years. Still don't get the love affair with Boro, on our day we're a better side and club👍⚔️

Good review, bit negative on us blades, though I can understand why after a lot of what's been happening over the years. Still don't get the love affair with Boro, on our day we're a better side and club👍⚔️

I kind of agree but think they've got a much better manager.

Great write up Deadbat. Inthink u r too conservative on us. We definitely have a stronger defence than.last season. I think Ndiaye can step into MGWs shoes and if Berge stays we look at least as strong in midfield.
The debate for me is up front. My optimism is.based (maybe incorrectly) on Brewster coming good and Jebbo being a revelation!

Not sure why most are so negative on Burnley.v the other 2 relegated sides (Roy excluded). They finished a lot of points clear of Norwich and Watford.last season and although they have lost a few players I think they will surprise a lot of people.
Think Watford, Burnley and Norwich are hard to call. They all could be 1st down to 10th. Just feel Burnleys keeping/defence will be an issue. Also feel that other two have more attacking threats as it stands.

I think we will end up somewhere between 5th and 10th. Probably around 8th.

If we can stay injury free and those who are injured and who are good come back soonish, we might make playoffs (which we won’t win).

Any chance of autos will be eliminated by another poor start.

There look to be less goals in this team than last year, although the defence should also be better.

I kind of agree but think they've got a much better manager.

I personally think too many are basing their predictions on Boro based on how great they think Wilder is. He's very good but our squad is far far superior to Boro's in almost every way.

Barring Jones and possibly Lenihan I don't think any of their players get in our team when we've got a full set to choose from and I'm not convinced Wilder is THAT much better than Hecky to level the playing field.

As for the other leagues...

Premier League

1) Man City

2) Liverpool

3) Chelsea

4) Spurs

Relegated

18) Leeds

19) Fulham

20) Bournemouth

FA Cup – Chelsea

League Cup – Spurs

Champions League – PSG

League One

Promoted: Sheff Weds (sorry they’ve recruited well), Wycombe, Peterborough

Relegated: Shrewsbury, Port Vale, Fleetwood, Morecambe

League Two

Promoted: Mansfield, Bradford, Salford and Northampton

Relegated: Barrow, Stevenage

Regards,

Deadbat –

@Deadbat_DB
Roll on tonight Dingbat - looking forward to reading your awesome reports

Back
Top Bottom